Anime DVD/Blu-Rays Sale @ Amazon, DBZ Kai Part 1&3 $15.99, Claymore $23.99 + more

Squarehard

CAGiversary!
Feedback
182 (100%)
Update 4/8/11

Here's the official list of DVDs and Blu-rays as part of this sale. Ends 4/25.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_355886922_3?ie=UTF8&node=130&hidden-keywords=B0043988HG|B0036ZA8G2|B003SPDSEE|B002Y0KR66|B0038Q9QA8|B003SPDS8A|B003NE8B4C|B0035LD7WO|B002KPINDY|B003SE6VVC|B00477VM04|B00477VM0O|B00477VM0E|B00477VLXM|B0043988LM|B003SPDSAS|B003VQO4WA|B0043988IK|B003VOVVXW|B003SPDSA8|B003NE8B42|&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=07VXHMACFD48HF3NRX2P&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=1293254302&pf_rd_i=B003CP61X0

-----------------------------------

Well the previous sale has ended, but it would appear a new sale may have started, but has not officially been announced yet, but a new selection of blu-rays have gone down in price, so I will just list them here for now and update if they officially announce a sale.

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part One $15.99

Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part Three $15.99

Claymore: Complete Series Box Set $23.99

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Part 1 $24.49

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Part 2 $24.49

Eden of the East: The Complete Series $26.49

Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE: Collected Memories Box Set $32.99

I will try and update this thread if I find the official list floating on the website at some point, but these are the highlighted ones I can see right now that had a change in price as of last night when the previous Funimation sale ended.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eden of the East is easily one of the best shows I've seen in the last few years. If you don't already own it, it's time to fix that mistake immediately.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Eden of the East is easily one of the best shows I've seen in the last few years. If you don't already own it, it's time to fix that mistake immediately.[/QUOTE]

Or wait for the two movies to come out with them...

[quote name='elessar123']Or wait for the two movies to come out with them...[/QUOTE]
That's where I'm at. I learned of the show due to the trailer on the Eva 2.22 disc, so I want to get it, but don't want to have to wait for the conclusion of the story.

Weird, did Amazon lose all of their product images for anime or something? A lot are only showing customer images.

hmm FMA is still a tad more then i want to spend, wish it would drop to 14-16.99, or even 19.99.

[quote name='styl3s']hmm FMA is still a tad more then i want to spend, wish it would drop to 14-16.99, or even 19.99.[/QUOTE]

$20 would be my price point for those too, but they seem to be keeping steady =\

[quote name='coolsteel']Amazon you're killing me here! I need a sale on FMA:Brotherhood part 3 yet I keep getting teased with these sales =([/QUOTE]

my thoughts exactly...

Copped Claymore earlier when I got the BR price tracker notification. BTW this is the lowest Claymore has ever been at since release.

[quote name='elessar123']Or wait for the two movies to come out with them...[/QUOTE]
Yup I hate when that happens. I always go for the whole boxset with the OVA/specials/movies with them.

If it were for DVD, I'da gotten Tsubasa. Why would it be only Blu?

Also, Just saw that Hetalia is on sale, both seasons for $15.99 each.

Now that DB Kai actually ended, Funi's complete series boxset shouldn't be more than a year out. Watching DBZ is still pretty painful even with nostalgia built in.

I know there are the Orange set Dragonball Z. What's the difference between the Dragonball Z Dragonbox, and the Kai sets?

Why can they not have a simplified Dragon Ball Z....can someone explain to me the diff of these boxes? I have the orange box 1 and 2 and that is it....(sorry for off topic)...If I was to purchase something it would be claymore, tsubasa...watched the first ep of Eden of East and found it enjoyable...

[quote name='CaptainJoel']I hate all the changes they made to Kai, it made it pretty unwatchable to me.[/QUOTE]

You're the first person I've seen who thinks that. Not that I'm trying to invalidate your opinion by saying that. I'm just curious about why you think that. For me, Kai actually makes DBZ more watchable.

I really, really, really want to start the DBZ Kai series... but only 13 episodes a volume?

The series ended with a total of 91 episodes.

That means there will be at least 7 volumes of these sets out.

----

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood looks like it'll have 6 volumes in the set at $25 a pop (basically $150 total)... hurts my wallet.

[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood looks like it'll have 6 volumes in the set at $25 a pop (basically $150 total)... hurts my wallet.[/QUOTE]

Five volumes for Brotherhood, not six.

[quote name='michaelericalonzo']think they`ll come out with the whole boxset soon?[/QUOTE]

I think the soonest you'd see that would be at least a year after the final set comes out. The current sets are selling well enough where it'd be foolish to release it any sooner.

They officially announced the sale, so full list posted in the op.

Some nice DVD sets are included, so may want to take a look at them for those who are interested.

[quote name='killa5k7']Why can they not have a simplified Dragon Ball Z....can someone explain to me the diff of these boxes? I have the orange box 1 and 2 and that is it....(sorry for off topic)...If I was to purchase something it would be claymore, tsubasa...watched the first ep of Eden of East and found it enjoyable...[/QUOTE]

Orange Boxes: These were remastered and readily available. However part of the remastering they did was make the show widescreen. DBZ wasn't made widescreen so they actually cust off the top and botton of the entire run. It's watchable, but sometimes noticable.

Dragon Box: Also recently remastered, but not butchered. This is the set to get, but it's a little pricey.

Kai: This version is kind of a director's cut of the entire show. It has all new audio with most of the same cast. Several episodes are either compeltely removed or comined to remove the filler episodes and the 10 minute powering up scenes. For example in the initial run Vegita and Nappa arrived to Earth in episode 15, in Kai it's 8. I'm loving Kai.

Other the others mentioned, I've only seen Claymore. The ending is kinda meh, but overall great show.

[quote name='rapsodist']You're the first person I've seen who thinks that. Not that I'm trying to invalidate your opinion by saying that. I'm just curious about why you think that. For me, Kai actually makes DBZ more watchable.[/QUOTE]
The changes just really cut into the nostalgia factor for me, I prefer to watch the originals. I never minded the 15 episodes of powering up or anything else that they changed anyways.

Plus the voice acting was better on the originals.

Nostalgia for me was hating them powering up so long, and not getting to the damn fighting lol.

I still cursed at my TV for it... Ahhh good ole DBZ. That's why I'm finishing up my O.G Orange set. I'm still tempted to buy Kai at this price. I don't know yet.

[quote name='CaptainJoel']The changes just really cut into the nostalgia factor for me, I prefer to watch the originals. I never minded the 15 episodes of powering up or anything else that they changed anyways.[/QUOTE]
Nostalgia is one thing, liking DBZ filler (you do realize it was so that the filler was to let the manga proceed ahead of the anime, right?) just means you never grew up.

[quote name='Stele']Nostalgia is one thing, liking DBZ filler (you do realize it was so that the filler was to let the manga proceed ahead of the anime, right?) just means you never grew up.[/QUOTE]
Seriously? Not all of the filler is bad and some of my favorite DBZ episodes are filler.

[quote name='Jhuntley']Seriously? Not all of the filler is bad and some of my favorite DBZ episodes are filler.[/QUOTE]

Problem is the filler was wasn't some episodes here and there, it was woven into each and every last episode to stretch out and pretty much destroy the pacing of the show. If you ever read the manga and then watched the corresponding episodes it just really becomes amazing how many times they can take say a page and a half's worth of material at times and stretch it out to 3-5 episodes.

There's two things worth noting about Kai, just in case anyone doesn't know:

The series just ended in Japan at episode 97- the end of the Cell arc. I know some people don't like the Buu stuff, but keep in mind that you can't get a completely Kai-ified version of the series.

Also, if you like the soundtrack, you should go ahead and pick these up. Future releases (in both Japan and the US) have been delayed so that Kenji Yamamoto's score (which is comprised of a lot of copyright-infringing pieces, which Toei has been made aware of) can be replaced with the original soundtrack from Dragon Ball Z. If I had to guess, they probably aren't allowed to print anymore copies with Yamamoto's score.

bread's done
Back