• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 diishen

diishen

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

No, they don't.

I just figured out today though that you can add a shortcut in your steam game list to launch it even if it isn't a steam game.

oh good find, but the EA download manager software still has to be running in order to play the games bought from EA store, correct?

#62 Invader Bugs

Invader Bugs

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:42 PM

Nope. The download manager is just that. You don't even install the game through it. The download manager just downloads the install files, the rest is all on you.
[URL="http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242196"][/URL]

#63 mattcube64

mattcube64

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:53 PM

Nope. The download manager is just that. You don't even install the game through it. The download manager just downloads the install files, the rest is all on you.

Since it's always nice to have a second opinion, I can confirm that this is, indeed, the case. The EA DL Manager DOES NOT need to be running to play. :)

You should have went back and waved it in that chick's face.....and, waved the cash in her face, too!

I came here b/c I was sick of low trade-in prices.

#64 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:00 PM

Since it's always nice to have a second opinion, I can confirm that this is, indeed, the case. The EA DL Manager DOES NOT need to be running to play. :)

Somehow I am just having trouble believing that the folks that pushed SecuROM on us would allow you to download a game installer and then do whatever you wanted with it, complete disconnected from their ability to authorize it.

I'm not saying it's not true, I'm just saying I am having trouble believing it.

#65 BitLooter

BitLooter

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:33 PM

I haven't used EA's system, but I would guess the authorization stuff is in the individual installers.
Try SwagBucks, where you can earn prizes just for searching the web! I have earned more than $60 Amazon credit so far, and get about $10 more each month just for using it instead of Google.

#66 Xellos2099

Xellos2099

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 06:17 AM

You know what is the darnest thing. I seen an email complain about BFBC2 vietnam dlc price jumped during a suppose sale and they respond by, for some reason, added and activated vietnam dlc for me for free.

Fair enough, when I click the vietnam button it load but when I try to connect to server it always dc me. Then I recite a very famous quote by William Shakespear, "Fuck It" and proceed to d2d and buy GTA IC complete for 8 buck.

#67 Atlantik00

Atlantik00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 04:56 PM

Anyone has the promo link for the new upcoming sale for this weekend?

#68 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:09 PM

ALSO confirmed.

The EA Download Manager (EADM) basically just download and installs the files. That's ALL you need it for. You can run games without it actually running. Makes sense, since they sell their games every avenue [digital and retail] that they can.

A lot of EA's recent games, you can just register right through their EADM, if you like - and just deal w/ EADM.

If you need to back-up your EADM game, it don't keep installers anymore - so you don't have extra installer files and junk laying around to take up another extra amount of GB's. This all is much more streamlined, for the better - you'll just can copy your actual entire game folder as is elsewhere (DVD's, Blu-Ray's, another HDD, whatever).

When you want to reinstall game, take your copy of the game folder - and look for a INSTALLER sub-folder. All you need to do is run the SETUP file(s) that's in there and you're good to go. :)

#69 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Does anyone know if there's any way to give/trade away a game that's been registered to EADM?

Is there any way to deauthorize it? If not, is the person going to get authorization errors if they try to play the game? (I realize they will if they try to register with EADM)

#70 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:47 PM

Does anyone know if there's any way to give/trade away a game that's been registered to EADM?

Is there any way to deauthorize it? If not, is the person going to get authorization errors if they try to play the game? (I realize they will if they try to register with EADM)

I think you cannot transfer games over to others that you register on EADM.

You can deauthorize installs and revoke installs, if you want to say move your copy of the game to another PC of yours. They usually are found in your game folder AND/OR found in your Start Menu.
For more info on deauthorizing installs/revoking installs on PC's of yours, look here.

#71 tranceFusion

tranceFusion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:02 PM

I think you cannot transfer games over to others that you register on EADM.

You can deauthorize installs and revoke installs, if you want to say move your copy of the game to another PC of yours. They usually are found in your game folder AND/OR found in your Start Menu.
For more info on deauthorizing installs/revoking installs on PC's of yours, look here.

But what happens if someone else tries to use a retail copy of the game that uses disc check after I have registered it with the DM??

#72 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

But what happens if someone else tries to use a retail copy of the game that uses disc check after I have registered it with the DM??

That's worth looking into, I'd say.
No clue, honestly.

Probably some details would be found on EA's site.

If I find some info, I'll let you know.