GameStop retail giant opens a store on Facebook

rywateska

CAGiversary!
Feedback
100 (100%)
Question: Would you shop on the Gamestop Facebook page??

GameStop retail giant opens a store on Facebook

April 7, 2011 | Dean Takahashi

Video game retail giant GameStop has opened up a store to sell games on its Facebook fan page. The store will sell physical games that users can receive in the mail or pick up at a local store.

The move is part of GameStop’s strategy to stay relevant in the age of digital distribution of video games, since it doesn’t want to go the way of the now defunct Hollywood Video and Tower Records chains. It also shows that Facebook is becoming a big distribution channel for retail sales in the emerging category of “social commerce.”

GameStop is tapping Adgregate Markets, a Sausalito, Calif.-based start-up that has already built about 50 stores for major brands on Facebook. GameStop’s store could be a big one since the chain already has about 1.8 million fans for its Facebook page. GameStop has made digital distribution a priority as a way to offset the potential decline of physical store sales.

By 2014, GameStop hopes that its digital game distribution businesses will generate more than $1.5 billion in revenue, or roughly 12.5 percent of its sales. But GameStop still has 6,600 stores and plans to expand overseas with new stores. The Facebook page is a way to more deeply engage with millions of fans who might otherwise not visit a store.

Adgregate’s system is directly tied into GameStop’s backend game web site so that the system can verify that inventory of a game is available at a local store, said John Underwood, chief operating officer of Adgregate Markets. And because the site is built on top of Facebook, the retailer can add merchandise Likes and Shares, gifting (buying a product for a friend) and group deals.

Adgregate, founded in 2008, has built more than 50 ShopFans stores on Facebook pages in the past year. Grapevine, Texas-based GameStop already ranks as the No. 115 retailer on Internet Retailer’s Top 500 list. Its new page is here.

Underwood said the Facebook user interface is moving from rigid templates to a real social shopping experience. Game fans will be able to pre-order the most-anticipated games and earn rewards via GameStop’s PowerUp Rewards loyalty program, which has more than 8 million members. Users can promote and discuss upcoming titles on the fan pages. Underwood said the overall social shopping experience is much more convenient than other ways to shop.

Adgregate charges a fee to build a custom site and charges a monthly fee and a per-transaction fee. For the most part, the service is aimed at large retailers rather than small, independent ones.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/07/gamestop-retail-giant-opens-a-store-on-facebook/

Another segment of Gamestop I won't be visiting(specially since I'm banned from the stores), but especially because I don't do the social networking garbage.

Oh and did you hear that Gamestop guts games?:lol:

If someone is already online why not just go to Gamestop.com if they were going to order from them? I just hope that they don't start having exclusive offers that are only available to Facebook users. I have an account but don't use it (my friends either don't have accounts or don't ever log in if they have an account) and I don't like how so many offers require you to be on Facebook for a lot of companies now and you have to "like" a company.

F this trend if it means you have to join Facebook to get deals. I have no intention of ever visiting that site.

[quote name='Javery']F this trend if it means you have to join Facebook to get deals. I have no intention of ever visiting that site.[/QUOTE]

Word.

I haven't done it yet and this shit ass company isn't going to make me start.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Another segment of Gamestop I won't be visiting(specially since I'm banned from the stores), but especially because I don't do the social networking garbage.

[/QUOTE]

Are you banned nationwide?

[quote name='VashandWolfwood']Are you banned nationwide?[/QUOTE]
Yes I am.:rofl:

I guess it's ok if they're paying you $4 for something you paid $60 for a month earlier and you're not making any extra credit by getting in on a bonus promo, but if you're trading in stuff you're making a profit on because you paid FAR LESS than they're giving you(AND getting insane amounts of bonus credit) then you're an evil sob and not wanted as a customer.:lol:

"What's the trade in value for this Facebook application, Farmville?" "I downloaded a new application, but it already had a save file on it!" "Deal: Like our affiliates, get XX% off." lol

I'm with Yoshifan1, just go to Gamestop's website unless you have to close the window/tab on Facebook.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Another segment of Gamestop I won't be visiting(specially since I'm banned from the stores), but especially because I don't do the social networking garbage.

[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Javery']F this trend if it means you have to join Facebook to get deals. I have no intention of ever visiting that site.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Josef']Word.

I haven't done it yet and this shit ass company isn't going to make me start.[/QUOTE]

I'm very glad I'm not the only one actively avoiding social media sites. fuck you, Facebook!

lamestop ripoff to players should be there motto, I stopped trading in about 2 years now. Ever since blockbuster plummeted with TIV's and hollywood went out business its hard to get any value to gamestop now

[quote name='YoshiFan1']If someone is already online why not just go to Gamestop.com if they were going to order from them?[/QUOTE]

It's to capture impulse purchases by using customized advertising and offering an instant opportunity to purchase the game. I imagine they'll eventually offer additional rewards to you and/or your friends who recommend the game to you if you buy it on facebook. Very dark road we're headed down here. People will love it, though.

bread's done
Back