CAGcast #235: Better Than Nothing

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

CheapyD reviews the Nintendo 3DS and WWE All-Stars while Wombat wraps up Dragon Age 2. We've also got the latest industry and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

Download - 66 minutes, 39MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Spoiler

Edited by CheapyD, 08 April 2011 - 06:22 AM.

#2 bobthecat23

bobthecat23

Més que un Club

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:24 AM

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo new cagcast!!!!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 beard_of_zeus

beard_of_zeus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:35 AM

Hmmm...go to bed, or listen to new cagcast? The choice is clear! :)
Posted Image

#4 NDarkness

NDarkness

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 07:58 AM

I am going to predict CheapyD's thoughts on the 3DS:

1. "I don't really play handhelds."
2. "If I were to then it'd be on the iPhone/iPad"
3. "Why pay for $40 when you can pay $1?"
4. "3D sucks."

#5 NegativeZero

NegativeZero

CAGtastic!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:46 AM

Great, Something for that train ride to work. and no problems from iTunes, it will be a good day!

http://zerofigures.wordpress.com

"He should have those magic b!tches all over his jock" - CheapyD, CagCast #168

#6 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

The biggest initial cost to the 3DS price is the R&D costs, which Nintendo has spent a lot of money on over the last few years. Apparently, the retailer to consumer markup on it is something like 30% so it'd probably be easy for Nintendo to drop the price if they needed to. And that will probably be when something like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus come out. But like I've said before Cheapy, there is nothing NGP can do to match Pokemon in the handheld space in the worldwide market. I'm personally waiting on a 3DSXL because I love my DSiXL because the screens are so much bigger than my DS lite's so I don't have to squint.

EDIT:
I just got through the entire show and just realized Shipwreck wasn't there.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#7 Xtrminatr

Xtrminatr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:06 AM

something to listen to at my new temp assignment! awesome!

#8 soliddragon

soliddragon

Early Adopter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:15 AM

New Rule: You may only make new podcasts, during or directly after earthquakes.
'Give me, One more medicated peaceful moment'
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

:ds: :360: :ps3: :3ds: :wii: :pc:

Spoiler

#9 demonhellcat

demonhellcat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:23 PM

Just started listening and I have to say YES, there is a string. I'll leave it at that.

#10 blacksanta87

blacksanta87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:28 PM

FINALLY a Cagcast without Shipwreck! Just like the good ol days before that bastard invaded the show. Stay sick shipwreck. Great cagcast guys!:bouncy:
Pigtails are for face Fucking.

#11 Maklershed

Maklershed

Feed me a stray cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

Great CAGcast guys. Some thoughts:

1. First of all, thank you for doing a show this week when you could've easily bailed. I understand this isn't your job but as a listener it gets frustrating when you're subscribed to a podcast that you enjoy and look forward to it every week but its constantly being neglected (ie the now defunct Three Red Lights). That's generally what gets me to unsubscribe altogether. CAGcast has pretty much been the most diligently updated podcast series I listen to.

2. Please don't take this personally Shipwreck. This comment is not against you - but I enjoyed hearing the two person CAGcast again. Its much more focused and succinct. And overall the conversation seemed much easier to follow.

3. Cheapy - pretty impressive Rodney Dangerfield impression.

4. Tai is the cutest sounding kid ever and I laughed heartily at his Dangerfield impressions. Any chance you can get him to do some Judge Smails lines? :lol:

Posted Image

#12 testudo

testudo

Posted 08 April 2011 - 01:46 PM

Forget the 3DS, WWE All-Stars, Madden monopoly, Sony hack, Shipwreck being sick, etc...

Wii is the big news! Yes, It was posted a month ago on youtube, but this seems like great CAGcast discussion material. Did I miss this being mentioned on an earlier CAGcast?

Nintendo Wii Modchip Case on People's Court

Originally found and posted on Destructoid. The comments and insights there are priceless, i.e., Double Handjob at 9:12

Ps. The 3DS coins can also be used in the AR card game, Street Fighter game (buying figures for Street Pass figure battles). Yes, Street Pass is addictive, especially in NYC. My major reason for purchase of a 3DS was Pilotwings, I am a super fan of the series, so purchasing wasn't an option! As far as the battery is concerned, Nyko seems to have solved it.

Oh yeah, I remember the Penn Station arcade... very shifty place!

AKA Cheap Ass Gamera
"I'm saving your future for a rainy day."
Listen to the best podcast in the sustainable world: RSS

#13 dorklance

dorklance

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:14 PM

i love my zune hd.........

#14 Keegs

Keegs

Owl + Bungee Cord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

Watch Anchorman, Jerkface!

Listening to the Cagcast now. Love 'em!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Keegs

Keegs

Owl + Bungee Cord

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:16 PM

4. "3D sucks."

Hah! Doesn't that describe a lot of us?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 02:42 PM

I just finisehd the CAGcast. My response is "...mehhhh". It's solid, but you've definitely done better. The Rodney Dangerfield ending was the highlight - Very classy!

Contrary to the other people's opinions, I actually missed Shipwreck's mid-west monotone input. Ship is the "gaming content" analyst to the show and thus seems to have hands-on knowledge of every new release and is able to bring that knowledge to each podcast. His input is rather valuable for the gamers, but lacks comedic value unless he's waiving his arms in the air yelling "unbelievable!!!".

Most of all, I miss Wombat's witty remarks everytime Cheapy or Ship say something stupid or off-key (i.e. "pokeman" followed by the hilarious Bill Cosby impression). Wombat, thank you for bringing back the handjob references.

Last point, the Barbacoa burrito at Chipotle is the greatest!!! The only thing Chipotle is lacking is Queso dip. People who prefer Qdoba and/or Moe's over Chipotle can go fly a kite in their backyard!

#17 kaw

kaw

Want some rye?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

The show flows so much better with just CheapyD and Wombat. Just like back in the "good 'ol days".

#18 Rouzhokuu

Rouzhokuu

Bio-Shocked!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

4. "3D sucks."

I'm pretty sure that level of negativity is being reserved for the NGP, whenever it releases.
"Don't be a slowpoke, Mister Bubbles. Angels don't wait for slowpokes."
Take a look at my trade-list, eh?

#19 Darknyss

Darknyss

Trophies 4TW!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:39 PM

Nice tidbit about Chipotle/Chopped Wombat. I suppose that's why Anne Burrell didn't show that much respect for Nate.

My wife and I are Food Network junkies and we watch a lot of cooking-related shows on other networks (Top Chef, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, etc). The Chipotle CEO is one of the hosts/judges on America's Next Great Restaurant.

#20 youruglyclone

youruglyclone

Last Man in Userplane

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:44 PM

WWE All Stars
-Fantasy Warfare and Path of the Champion (Undertaker, Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels&HHH)
-it's the same Rey Mysterio.

Also that James Beard Chipotle is near my office...I gotta get out there one of these days.

#21 Pojomofo

Pojomofo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:03 PM

I wonder if the GoDaddy CEO has ever heard of a fence...

#22 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:17 PM

Nice tidbit about Chipotle/Chopped Wombat. I suppose that's why Anne Burrell didn't show that much respect for Nate.

My wife and I are Food Network junkies and we watch a lot of cooking-related shows on other networks (Top Chef, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, etc). The Chipotle CEO is one of the hosts/judges on America's Next Great Restaurant.

oh Fuck Anne Burrell. Seriously, I can't stand snooty chefs. I was glad she was Chopped. Wasn't she bitching about Fruit Loops in the first round? "I didn't even eat these as a kid" Fuck you.

Chipotle in general is awesome. It was started here in Denver. (as was Qdoba, Noodles and Quizno's)

I got the EA letter today in my email.

Wombat: I would judge the 3DS by a kiosk. Not being able to hold it and position it really makes a difference.

Edited by usickenme, 08 April 2011 - 05:46 PM.

#23 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:33 PM

Old school CAGcast ftw.

Still missed Shippy.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#24 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:44 PM

i love my zune hd.........

I am not alone.:whee:

#25 drktrpr1

drktrpr1

Total GearsHead

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hahaha the end with Tai was hilarious. "oh, my arm is Vulcan!"
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:57 PM

I wonder if the GoDaddy CEO has ever heard of a fence...

F' GoDaddy. They try to sell you every little thing. Techies know Hover.com is a way better domain name register.

#27 StriderNo9

StriderNo9

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:08 PM

I for one love my Zune HD, but it is dead. Also Saying that the 3DS is only for people that want the next Mario game is dumb, the DS wasnt just to play the next Mario game, the DS became the home to a number of fantastic RPGs that would not make it to the consoles. Ever played Radiant Historia? Dragon Quest 9? Golden Sun, Dark Dawn? The list of good to great RPGs for the DS is a mile long and there is nothing showing us that the 3DS will be any different.

Once again, typical Cheapy, when he likes something in this case the iPhone, he can't possibly seem to like or see why anyone else would like something else. Its getting really old.

#28 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:24 PM

boo no ship. wonder if this og cast will be as good without ship

#29 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:40 PM

I agree with most of Cheapy's criticisms of the 3DS and like Wombat I'll be waiting for the first revision before I actually consider buying one, but Cheapy's unquestioning love and praise for anything with an Apple logo on it is kind of gross. Thanks, but not all of us want to join the cult.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#30 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:01 PM

I don't have a 3DS, and I've had an iPhone for about a year now, and I still don't get why the two are frequently compared to each other. I like my iPhone, and I've bought many games for it, but there are certain genres that just don't work on that device. I've made the mistake of buying ports of games that don't work with the touch interface. As for the cost disparity, many people would gladly pay $40 for a 3DS Pokemon game, but iPhone games don't cost that much because they're not worth $40!