CAGcast #235: Better Than Nothing

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:02 PM

I wonder if the GoDaddy CEO has ever heard of a fence...

Ha Ha! :applause:

#32 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

I don't have a 3DS, and I've had an iPhone for about a year now, and I still don't get why the two are frequently compared to each other. I like my iPhone, and I've bought many games for it, but there are certain genres that just don't work on that device. I've made the mistake of buying ports of games that don't work with the touch interface. As for the cost disparity, many people would gladly pay $40 for a 3DS Pokemon game, but iPhone games don't cost that much because they're not worth $40!

I agree. . . comparing angry birds and coin dozer to DS retail games is not fair. It's like saying "why would i spend $60 for an Xbox 360 game when i can just play canabalt for free online?"

#33 NDarkness

NDarkness

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:13 PM

I am going to predict CheapyD's thoughts on the 3DS:

1. "I don't really play handhelds."
2. "If I were to then it'd be on the iPhone/iPad"
3. "Why pay for $40 when you can pay $1?"
4. "3D sucks."

My predictions were correct!

#34 repetske

repetske

That's what she said.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:28 PM

Still listening to the podcast, but thought Wombat's Shipwreck impersonation was pretty funny. Especially Wombat's comment immediately after about having to drop L's. We know Wombat loves his L's. I could make a drinking game based on Wombat saying "bolth" instead of "both".

#35 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 08:47 PM

More Tai. That kid is adorable.

#36 just-joe

just-joe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

I'd rather pay $40 for a good DS game(or 3DS game when it comes out) than pay a dollar for a crummy iPhone game that I'll play for 5 minutes and never touch again.

fs.png

#37 lowgear26

lowgear26

Marriage Kills

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Fuck your hate on Upstate NY.........We will survive the Zombie apocalypse much longer than you city fuckers
You Can't handle the Truth.

#38 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:39 PM

If you don't count upstate ny as ny you can't count long island either.

#39 iwannadie

iwannadie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2011 - 10:55 PM

Good show, I liked hearing Cheapy talk about the 3ds, I still want one but my expectations are dwindling.

Cheapy, you should complain to anyone that will listen there about the rubbers being too small even though you buy the large size ones. Start asking around embarrassingly if people know shops you can buy american rubbers cause they actually fit, just to see reactions of course.
Posted Image

#40 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:13 AM

Great show, but this would've been a great opportunity to have Justin McElroy guest host again. That show cracked me up. "Truckstop Tuesdays" always makes me laugh.

#41 Jamafrika

Jamafrika

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:19 AM

I could never find anything to complain about with the CAGcast, how the hell do other people manage it?

I wonder what each of the CAG members would pick if they had to recommend only one out of an iPad or a 3DS?

If a 3DS is £200 and an iPad2 is £400 it seems like the logical choice is to just buy an iPad. If I wanted a gaming system that was truly portable I'd use my Android phone. If I wanted a handheld I'd buy an iPad because it's got a ton more functionality and the games are cheaper if not free!

#42 Digital Idiot

Digital Idiot

User has been disabled.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

Woo woo! All aboard the Cheapy hate train! First stop, Fuck Zune! Final destination Nintendo suck station!

One nice thing about Cheapy's iPhone boner, he doesn't have to use a condom for it!

Great show, guys! :lol:

#43 Dee_Lucky

Dee_Lucky

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:37 AM

Great CAGcast guys. Some thoughts:

2. Please don't take this personally Shipwreck. This comment is not against you - but I enjoyed hearing the two person CAGcast again. Its much more focused and succinct. And overall the conversation seemed much easier to follow.

Agreed. Its nothing against shipwreck but he does lack showmenship.

#44 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:10 AM

iPhone only has flash games. It sucks as a real gaming device when you have more than 10 minutes to kill.

3DS on the other hand will eventually get great big budget epic games and will eventually get cheaper
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#45 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

Cheapy and Wombat,
Thanks for mentioning it, but I had hoped for a little more discussion on the new, downloadable NBA Jam in that its screwed over everyone who bought it on the consoles.

First they announce it only for the Wii, then say the PS360 version is going to be a download tied to NBA Elite 11 but with fewer single-player features than the Wii version but in HD and online play. Then when NBA Elite 11 is canned, they release essentially the full Wii game in HD with online play and charge the same price as the Wii version, $50 MSRP.

The biggest problem with the console NBA Jam is the rosters were slightly outdated when the game launched, and now with the massive amount of trades done in the NBA this year, the rosters are horribly outdated now. EA never said what they were going to do until about a month ago, when they said they were abandoning all support of the console versions of NBA Jam because of low sales. This also affects the online multiplayer, which has horrible connection issues still.

Then EA pulled a double screw job by updating the roster on the iOS version, which apparently is selling better, and touting this new downloadable NBA Jam with one of the highlighted features in the press release saying updated rosters and online improvements. EA did a free update last year for Madden NFL Arcade on PSN/XBLA and I'm sure it sold less than NBA Jam on disc.

Luckily I only paid $10 for the disc (BB PM of KMart $30 sale in Dec. with $20 in BB RZ certs) but lots of people paid the full $50 MSRP on this and are getting screwed over. Just thought you might want to discuss how EA is wanting a double dip with NBA Jam. Thanks again.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#46 BlueSwim

BlueSwim

Tech-Gaming.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:14 PM

Loved the old-school two-man team this week(no disrespect intended, Ship).

I wish those who hate on Zune would actually try a Zune HD. It's a great player with a fantastic interface. It lacks app variety, yes, but as a PMP, it's excellent.
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=69&pictureid=2266
Menage a 3 - It's like Archie without the bullshit.

http://www.cheapassg...&pictureid=7899
Eerie Cuties - Vampires in high school. Don't worry, no sparkling.

Posted Image
Twitter - Bitter. Spiteful. Funky.

#47 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

I still have no idea why anyone praises the 3DS in anyway at all. It's overpriced, its a dumb gimmick and the games look just like the DS's ones. Plus, the hardware itself does NOT look good.

You know what looked good? The DS Lite because it had nice clean lines and wasn't cluttered at all. From that point, Nintendo just worked backwards to create the cluttered mess that is the 3DS. A million different lights, weird angles, ice cream sandwich design, ITS ALL DISJOINTED.

The NGP looks really nice, like they actually put thought into designing it. And although it has it's gimmicks, it still has really nice features.

The show was great, reminded me of the old days of the CAGcast...which means TIME TO GET RID OF SHIPWRECK :p

Edited by Microshock, 09 April 2011 - 09:55 PM.

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#48 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:04 AM

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the select and start buttons on the 3DS are mislabeled. Start is actually select, and vice-versa.

#49 mik

mik

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:38 PM

Cheapy,

If you're really not going to have another kid, having a vasectomy is definitely the way to go--you'll be surprised how much it improves your sex life. Not to mention it takes like 30 minutes and does not hurt in the least. I was nervous going in, but it was less of a disruption to my day than a teeth cleaning at the dentist... except that I don't have to show the dentist my balls.

#50 Velo214

Velo214

Baby Lili is Here!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

I love my dslite. That being said I havn't touched mine in years and just give it to my kids to keep them busy with harvestmoon/animal crossing. TWEWY was awesome tho.

Velo214.png
sig.gif

#51 Chris in Cali

Chris in Cali

Mr. Negativity

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

Here's why I personally think the 3DS is a pile of garbage...

-it's region locked
-has no second analog stick
-3-5 Hour battery life
-a 1996 cell phone quality camera
-graphics that are on par with a handheld from 2005*
-small, low-resolution screens
-friend codes
-no voice chat
-no web browser until ???
-no virtual console until ???
-no nes/snes/n64/gb games on the virtual console at all.
-a 3d gimmick that hurts the battery life, performance of games, and let Nintendo jack up the price.
-costs $250 for a portable video game system.

*Honestly, maybe the 3DS is slightly better, but considering just how close these are for a $129 6 year old system and a 1 month old $250 system.... it's kind of sad.

#52 repete

repete

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:11 PM

I just remembered you never did a clip show get on that
Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Kazaganthi

Kazaganthi

Blue Rogue

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:28 PM

Haha, I watched the Chopped Champions too. The Final episode's chopping played out just how I thought it would even before it aired, which is good. My favorite episode was the Chopped Judges one. Finally they got a taste of their own medicine and saw how that clock is rough and 4 wtf ingredients can throw you off when not sitting in the judge seat and making fun of the contestants as they cook. Best quote in that episode was "Two minutes left and I'm running to the Pantry, oh my god I'm one of those people".

I had no intentions of ever getting a 3DS, but a friend had one so I tried it anyway. He had Pilot Wings. The 3D effect is a lie. First I had to find the sweet spot where the 3D actually worked, and it was 3 inches from my face, awkward. It takes my eyes 10 seconds to adjust, but any slight movement of the 3DS system from pressing buttons makes it go out of focus and hurts my eyes. On the plus side the analog was nice, but only one is a tease. The 3DS is just a gimmick to me, I can't justify spending that much when you can get a Wii for cheaper or 360/PS3 for nearly the same price.

#54 jraf

jraf

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 01:32 AM

Great show, classic CAGcast I love it. This is the show that made me buy a 360 in 2007. I love Ship but somehow he changed the chemistry and vibe of the show. The CAGcast was never about serious gaming discussions, its about funny stories that happened during the week and some gaming discussion tucked in between. The only way for it to be better is if it was longer than a hour. Hey maybe Ship and Wombat can revive CAGforeplay and be better than the CAGcast :) . Love the old school show keep it up.

#55 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:14 AM

Great CAGcast guys! Missed Ship, but it was still great.

#56 killamogwai

killamogwai

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:33 AM

I'm not sure about the older Zune players but the Zune hd 32 is actually pretty sweet. I own an Ipod, Ipad and a Zune hd 32. I have to say the sound quality on the Zune is way better, and the interface is way cooler for music. I will say that it sucks for apps but I don't care about that. It's also under $200 for the 32 gig version on some sites which makes it a pretty good deal for a serious music fan. Maybe you should have tried out one of the Zune hd's before saying that all Zunes are crap.

#57 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:04 AM

Did Wombat really say there aren't many Cleveland Browns fans? The Browns have one of the biggest, most loyal fanbases in all of the NFL. Just look at how well Peyton Hillis is doing in the Madden 12 Cover Vote to see that that they're not as tiny as you think they are.

A number of apps/games on the iPod Touch use tiny buttons that make them harder to use at times and for many games, there's no substitute for buttons or a good stylus for many genres. The DS stylus makes it a lot easier to do what needs to be done for touch-focused games. I'd rather spend $250 for a system whose games I can buy and play for the next five years without problems than one that allows me to play games competently for a year or so at most before requiring another $250. Also, I'm surprised that Cheapy didn't like the 3DS.

Is there going to be a "Cheapy's Racist Moment of the Week" segment every week now?

Better than average show since you guys were better able to keep most topics concise without rambling too much.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki

#58 hereon

hereon

Here-On Earth

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:08 AM

It was so quiet without Shipwreck's nonstop talking, no I completely kid. Great show but I hope to hear Shipwreck doing twice the work next week to make it up!

#59 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:15 AM

Did we ever get a proper explanation on why CAG Foreplay is defunct? Something about Shipwreck's wife working during the time that Shipwreck has time off and vice versa?

I still really wish that the show went back to just Cheapy and Wombat, it's a lot simpler and theres a lot more talking about what happened during their weeks instead of everyone feeling like they have to rush through stuff. But of course feelings are hurt and yeah...

Did Wombat really say there aren't many Cleveland Browns fans? The Browns have one of the biggest, most loyal fanbases in all of the NFL. Just look at how well Peyton Hillis is doing in the Madden 12 Cover Vote to see that that they're not as tiny as you think they are.

A number of apps/games on the iPod Touch use tiny buttons that make them harder to use at times and for many games, there's no substitute for buttons or a good stylus for many genres. The DS stylus makes it a lot easier to do what needs to be done for touch-focused games. I'd rather spend $250 for a system whose games I can buy and play for the next five years without problems than one that allows me to play games competently for a year or so at most before requiring another $250. Also, I'm surprised that Cheapy didn't like the 3DS.

Is there going to be a "Cheapy's Racist Moment of the Week" segment every week now?

Better than average show since you guys were better able to keep most topics concise without rambling too much.

Even though the iPod touch gets an update every year, the current one is probably just as or even more powerful than the 3DS. It's also much better, probably not for gaming though because of the lack of buttons. It's not like Nintendo won't update this one in a couple of years either

The stylus for the DS is a good thing, because drawing with your finger sucks. You have no pin point accuracy with an index finger.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#60 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:06 AM

Did we ever get a proper explanation on why CAG Foreplay is defunct? Something about Shipwreck's wife working during the time that Shipwreck has time off and vice versa?

I still really wish that the show went back to just Cheapy and Wombat, it's a lot simpler and theres a lot more talking about what happened during their weeks instead of everyone feeling like they have to rush through stuff. But of course feelings are hurt and yeah...

They stopped because Mrs. Shipwreck's schedule was too busy to be able to do the show with any regularity.

Even though the iPod touch gets an update every year, the current one is probably just as or even more powerful than the 3DS. It's also much better, probably not for gaming though because of the lack of buttons. It's not like Nintendo won't update this one in a couple of years either

The stylus for the DS is a good thing, because drawing with your finger sucks. You have no pin point accuracy with an index finger.

Power doesn't really matter to me as much as good support, interesting games, and good value. Apple is terrible at supporting their non-phone iOS products because they continually release new models that and discontinue support of the previous models unless you pay another $250 or more. If they actually made a handheld gaming system, they'd get a lot more shit than they do.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

PSN/XBL: CrashSpyro | Steam: CrashTanuki | Wii U: FriendlyTanuki