CAGcast #235: Better Than Nothing

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]CheapyD reviews the Nintendo 3DS and WWE All-Stars while Wombat wraps up Dragon Age 2. We've also got the latest industry and shopping news, your CAGbag and Twitter questions and so much more!

[podcast]144[/podcast]
Download - 66 minutes, 39MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro - Call Me Hung Up - A Plus D

coming soon

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro: Tai does Rodney

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to predict CheapyD's thoughts on the 3DS:

1. "I don't really play handhelds."
2. "If I were to then it'd be on the iPhone/iPad"
3. "Why pay for $40 when you can pay $1?"
4. "3D sucks."

The biggest initial cost to the 3DS price is the R&D costs, which Nintendo has spent a lot of money on over the last few years. Apparently, the retailer to consumer markup on it is something like 30% so it'd probably be easy for Nintendo to drop the price if they needed to. And that will probably be when something like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing and Kid Icarus come out. But like I've said before Cheapy, there is nothing NGP can do to match Pokemon in the handheld space in the worldwide market. I'm personally waiting on a 3DSXL because I love my DSiXL because the screens are so much bigger than my DS lite's so I don't have to squint.

EDIT:
I just got through the entire show and just realized Shipwreck wasn't there.

If you are in a monogamous relationship, use Encare. Read the package, follow the directions. No rubber, no hormones, no kids.

FINALLY a Cagcast without Shipwreck! Just like the good ol days before that bastard invaded the show. Stay sick shipwreck. Great cagcast guys!:bouncy:

Great CAGcast guys. Some thoughts:

1. First of all, thank you for doing a show this week when you could've easily bailed. I understand this isn't your job but as a listener it gets frustrating when you're subscribed to a podcast that you enjoy and look forward to it every week but its constantly being neglected (ie the now defunct Three Red Lights). That's generally what gets me to unsubscribe altogether. CAGcast has pretty much been the most diligently updated podcast series I listen to.

2. Please don't take this personally Shipwreck. This comment is not against you - but I enjoyed hearing the two person CAGcast again. Its much more focused and succinct. And overall the conversation seemed much easier to follow.

3. Cheapy - pretty impressive Rodney Dangerfield impression.

4. Tai is the cutest sounding kid ever and I laughed heartily at his Dangerfield impressions. Any chance you can get him to do some Judge Smails lines? :lol:

Forget the 3DS, WWE All-Stars, Madden monopoly, Sony hack, Shipwreck being sick, etc...

Wii is the big news! Yes, It was posted a month ago on youtube, but this seems like great CAGcast discussion material. Did I miss this being mentioned on an earlier CAGcast?

Originally found and posted on Destructoid. The comments and insights there are priceless, i.e., Double Handjob at 9:12

Ps. The 3DS coins can also be used in the AR card game, Street Fighter game (buying figures for Street Pass figure battles). Yes, Street Pass is addictive, especially in NYC. My major reason for purchase of a 3DS was Pilotwings, I am a super fan of the series, so purchasing wasn't an option! As far as the battery is concerned, Nyko seems to have solved it.

Oh yeah, I remember the Penn Station arcade... very shifty place!

[quote name='NDarkness']I am going to predict CheapyD's thoughts on the 3DS:

4. "3D sucks."[/QUOTE]

Hah! Doesn't that describe a lot of us?

I just finisehd the CAGcast. My response is "...mehhhh". It's solid, but you've definitely done better. The Rodney Dangerfield ending was the highlight - Very classy!

Contrary to the other people's opinions, I actually missed Shipwreck's mid-west monotone input. Ship is the "gaming content" analyst to the show and thus seems to have hands-on knowledge of every new release and is able to bring that knowledge to each podcast. His input is rather valuable for the gamers, but lacks comedic value unless he's waiving his arms in the air yelling "unbelievable!!!".

Most of all, I miss Wombat's witty remarks everytime Cheapy or Ship say something stupid or off-key (i.e. "pokeman" followed by the hilarious Bill Cosby impression). Wombat, thank you for bringing back the handjob references.

Last point, the Barbacoa burrito at Chipotle is the greatest!!! The only thing Chipotle is lacking is Queso dip. People who prefer Qdoba and/or Moe's over Chipotle can go fly a kite in their backyard!

The show flows so much better with just CheapyD and Wombat. Just like back in the "good 'ol days".

4. "3D sucks."[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that level of negativity is being reserved for the NGP, whenever it releases.

Nice tidbit about Chipotle/Chopped Wombat. I suppose that's why Anne Burrell didn't show that much respect for Nate.

My wife and I are Food Network junkies and we watch a lot of cooking-related shows on other networks (Top Chef, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, etc). The Chipotle CEO is one of the hosts/judges on America's Next Great Restaurant.

WWE All Stars
-Fantasy Warfare and Path of the Champion (Undertaker, Randy Orton, Shawn Michaels&HHH)
-it's the same Rey Mysterio.

Also that James Beard Chipotle is near my office...I gotta get out there one of these days.

[quote name='Darknyss']Nice tidbit about Chipotle/Chopped Wombat. I suppose that's why Anne Burrell didn't show that much respect for Nate.

My wife and I are Food Network junkies and we watch a lot of cooking-related shows on other networks (Top Chef, Hells Kitchen, Kitchen Nightmares, etc). The Chipotle CEO is one of the hosts/judges on America's Next Great Restaurant.[/QUOTE]

oh fuck Anne Burrell. Seriously, I can't stand snooty chefs. I was glad she was Chopped. Wasn't she bitching about Fruit Loops in the first round? "I didn't even eat these as a kid" fuck you.

Chipotle in general is awesome. It was started here in Denver. (as was Qdoba, Noodles and Quizno's)

I got the EA letter today in my email.

Wombat: I would judge the 3DS by a kiosk. Not being able to hold it and position it really makes a difference.

[quote name='Pojomofo']I wonder if the GoDaddy CEO has ever heard of a fence...[/QUOTE]F' GoDaddy. They try to sell you every little thing. Techies know Hover.com is a way better domain name register.

I for one love my Zune HD, but it is dead. Also Saying that the 3DS is only for people that want the next Mario game is dumb, the DS wasnt just to play the next Mario game, the DS became the home to a number of fantastic RPGs that would not make it to the consoles. Ever played Radiant Historia? Dragon Quest 9? Golden Sun, Dark Dawn? The list of good to great RPGs for the DS is a mile long and there is nothing showing us that the 3DS will be any different.

Once again, typical Cheapy, when he likes something in this case the iPhone, he can't possibly seem to like or see why anyone else would like something else. Its getting really old.

I agree with most of Cheapy's criticisms of the 3DS and like Wombat I'll be waiting for the first revision before I actually consider buying one, but Cheapy's unquestioning love and praise for anything with an Apple logo on it is kind of gross. Thanks, but not all of us want to join the cult.

I don't have a 3DS, and I've had an iPhone for about a year now, and I still don't get why the two are frequently compared to each other. I like my iPhone, and I've bought many games for it, but there are certain genres that just don't work on that device. I've made the mistake of buying ports of games that don't work with the touch interface. As for the cost disparity, many people would gladly pay $40 for a 3DS Pokemon game, but iPhone games don't cost that much because they're not worth $40!

[quote name='Pojomofo']I wonder if the GoDaddy CEO has ever heard of a fence...[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha! :applause:

[quote name='apathylad']I don't have a 3DS, and I've had an iPhone for about a year now, and I still don't get why the two are frequently compared to each other. I like my iPhone, and I've bought many games for it, but there are certain genres that just don't work on that device. I've made the mistake of buying ports of games that don't work with the touch interface. As for the cost disparity, many people would gladly pay $40 for a 3DS Pokemon game, but iPhone games don't cost that much because they're not worth $40![/QUOTE]

I agree. . . comparing angry birds and coin dozer to DS retail games is not fair. It's like saying "why would i spend $60 for an Xbox 360 game when i can just play canabalt for free online?"

4. "3D sucks."[/QUOTE]

My predictions were correct!

Still listening to the podcast, but thought Wombat's Shipwreck impersonation was pretty funny. Especially Wombat's comment immediately after about having to drop L's. We know Wombat loves his L's. I could make a drinking game based on Wombat saying "bolth" instead of "both".

I'd rather pay $40 for a good DS game(or 3DS game when it comes out) than pay a dollar for a crummy iPhone game that I'll play for 5 minutes and never touch again.

Good show, I liked hearing Cheapy talk about the 3ds, I still want one but my expectations are dwindling.

Cheapy, you should complain to anyone that will listen there about the rubbers being too small even though you buy the large size ones. Start asking around embarrassingly if people know shops you can buy american rubbers cause they actually fit, just to see reactions of course.

Great show, but this would've been a great opportunity to have Justin McElroy guest host again. That show cracked me up. "Truckstop Tuesdays" always makes me laugh.

I could never find anything to complain about with the CAGcast, how the hell do other people manage it?

I wonder what each of the CAG members would pick if they had to recommend only one out of an iPad or a 3DS?

If a 3DS is £200 and an iPad2 is £400 it seems like the logical choice is to just buy an iPad. If I wanted a gaming system that was truly portable I'd use my Android phone. If I wanted a handheld I'd buy an iPad because it's got a ton more functionality and the games are cheaper if not free!

Woo woo! All aboard the Cheapy hate train! First stop, fuck Zune! Final destination Nintendo suck station!

One nice thing about Cheapy's iPhone boner, he doesn't have to use a condom for it!

Great show, guys! :lol:

[quote name='Maklershed']Great CAGcast guys. Some thoughts:

2. Please don't take this personally Shipwreck. This comment is not against you - but I enjoyed hearing the two person CAGcast again. Its much more focused and succinct. And overall the conversation seemed much easier to follow.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Its nothing against shipwreck but he does lack showmenship.

iPhone only has flash games. It sucks as a real gaming device when you have more than 10 minutes to kill.

3DS on the other hand will eventually get great big budget epic games and will eventually get cheaper

Cheapy and Wombat,
Thanks for mentioning it, but I had hoped for a little more discussion on the new, downloadable NBA Jam in that its screwed over everyone who bought it on the consoles.

First they announce it only for the Wii, then say the PS360 version is going to be a download tied to NBA Elite 11 but with fewer single-player features than the Wii version but in HD and online play. Then when NBA Elite 11 is canned, they release essentially the full Wii game in HD with online play and charge the same price as the Wii version, $50 MSRP.

The biggest problem with the console NBA Jam is the rosters were slightly outdated when the game launched, and now with the massive amount of trades done in the NBA this year, the rosters are horribly outdated now. EA never said what they were going to do until about a month ago, when they said they were abandoning all support of the console versions of NBA Jam because of low sales. This also affects the online multiplayer, which has horrible connection issues still.

Then EA pulled a double screw job by updating the roster on the iOS version, which apparently is selling better, and touting this new downloadable NBA Jam with one of the highlighted features in the press release saying updated rosters and online improvements. EA did a free update last year for Madden NFL Arcade on PSN/XBLA and I'm sure it sold less than NBA Jam on disc.

Luckily I only paid $10 for the disc (BB PM of KMart $30 sale in Dec. with $20 in BB RZ certs) but lots of people paid the full $50 MSRP on this and are getting screwed over. Just thought you might want to discuss how EA is wanting a double dip with NBA Jam. Thanks again.

Loved the old-school two-man team this week(no disrespect intended, Ship).

I wish those who hate on Zune would actually try a Zune HD. It's a great player with a fantastic interface. It lacks app variety, yes, but as a PMP, it's excellent.

I still have no idea why anyone praises the 3DS in anyway at all. It's overpriced, its a dumb gimmick and the games look just like the DS's ones. Plus, the hardware itself does NOT look good.

You know what looked good? The DS Lite because it had nice clean lines and wasn't cluttered at all. From that point, Nintendo just worked backwards to create the cluttered mess that is the 3DS. A million different lights, weird angles, ice cream sandwich design, ITS ALL DISJOINTED.

The NGP looks really nice, like they actually put thought into designing it. And although it has it's gimmicks, it still has really nice features.

The show was great, reminded me of the old days of the CAGcast...which means TIME TO GET RID OF SHIPWRECK :p

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the select and start buttons on the 3DS are mislabeled. Start is actually select, and vice-versa.

bread's done
Back