Top Spin 4 (360/PS3) $39.99 at Amazon

Just about the same price when it was $56.99 and had the $20 credit.

The games pretty fun but with all of these tennis games there is a point where the computer becomes super human and you can't get anything past it... I'm at that point now and it's pretty frustrating..

Kevin

Just went to Amazon a few minutes ago and found this deal as well. I may pick it up. I've been looking for a good tennis game lately. It didn't get great reviews, but I played the demo and enjoyed it.

Thelwig14, I just checked BB's pricematching rules, and they won't price match online retailers like Amazon, but they may do it on their own, although I doubt it.

[quote name='yabanci']Just went to Amazon a few minutes ago and found this deal as well. I may pick it up. I've been looking for a good tennis game lately. It didn't get great reviews, but I played the demo and enjoyed it.

Thelwig14, I just checked BB's pricematching rules, and they won't price match online retailers like Amazon, but they may do it on their own, although I doubt it.[/QUOTE]

Didn't get great reviews? it has an 85 on metacritic including a 90 from gamespot, 85 from the official xbox magazine, 85 from ign...

seems pretty good to me

Kevin

[quote name='kevgret']Didn't get great reviews? it has an 85 on metacritic including a 90 from gamespot, 85 from the official xbox magazine, 85 from ign...

seems pretty good to me

Kevin[/QUOTE]

Hmm, for some reason I remember reading early reviews and seeing some low scores, but now I see it got some good ones. Would you recommend picking it up for this price? I've got about $35 worth of Amazon credit that I've been sitting on for a while.

[quote name='DigitalE']Don't sports games always drop in price pretty quickly?[/QUOTE]

nope.

last year's iteration of sports franchises will drop in price but of course, that's 9 months after release.

[quote name='DigitalE']Don't sports games always drop in price pretty quickly?[/QUOTE]

Top Spin will hold in the mid 20's-30's until another good tennis game comes out.

[quote name='rywateska']Top Spin will hold in the mid 20's-30's until another good tennis game comes out.[/QUOTE]

Which should be for another 1 month when Virtua Tennis 4 drops and it's selling for $49.99 :)

[quote name='kevgret']The games pretty fun but with all of these tennis games there is a point where the computer becomes super human and you can't get anything past it... I'm at that point now and it's pretty frustrating..
[/QUOTE]

I gave up on this game for that reason. Early on the game is easy, but then it ramps up and becomes almost impossible.

Even worse is the online play, where most everyone online has a maxed-out, superhuman character that are impossible to beat unless your own player is on their level. Even then I could barely win a point in multiple matches so without that component, the game doesn't have a ton to offer.

TOP SPIN 2 was a LOT more accessible than this game to the average player IMO (it's better than the 3rd game, which had impossibly complicated controls though). Unless you are a hardcore tennis fanatic, I think it becomes pretty tiresome after a while too because the modes are so predictable (standard career progression, etc.).

[quote name='phantomfriar2002']I gave up on this game for that reason. Early on the game is easy, but then it ramps up and becomes almost impossible.

Even worse is the online play, where most everyone online has a maxed-out, superhuman character that are impossible to beat unless your own player is on their level. Even then I could barely win a point in multiple matches so without that component, the game doesn't have a ton to offer.

TOP SPIN 2 was a LOT more accessible than this game to the average player IMO (it's better than the 3rd game, which had impossibly complicated controls though). Unless you are a hardcore tennis fanatic, I think it becomes pretty tiresome after a while too because the modes are so predictable (standard career progression, etc.).[/QUOTE]

I love tennis games... but I had to trade this one in. Same issues as you - hopped online and didn't have a maxed out character and literally won zero points in my two matches. Not awesome.

[quote name='depward']I love tennis games... but I had to trade this one in. Same issues as you - hopped online and didn't have a maxed out character and literally won zero points in my two matches. Not awesome.[/QUOTE]

I ended up going something like 0-6 and I won maybe 3 or 4 points, max, in all of those matches. Never came close to winning a game, and my guy was a Level 14 or so. If you end up playing a maxed-out opponent you might as well just put the controller down and give up because you've got no chance.

At that point I traded it back to Amazon and got $37 for it (was glad I did now that the price dropped). I'm hoping Virtua Tennis 4 isn't so unbalanced.

Last edited by a moderator:
So is the difficulty towards the end worse than the "Hard" in the demo?

I've been playing the demo for weeks now, and I've lost a good number of tiebreaks while winning a good number as well.

[quote name='gnn']Is this reduction permanent, or do you think it is going back to $50-$60 soon?[/QUOTE]

I don't think this is a new MSRP. this game just came out and also the original price is just slashed out, with $39.99 below it and not replacing the $59.99.

[quote name='ssjmichael']anyone play this with the move? any feedback?[/QUOTE]

I tried it with the move its ok...

but you pretty much swing your arms certain ways...

it doesn't matter if you swing forehand or backhand.. it's whatever hit you positioned to hit, which was a little disappointing for me...

Overall its ok, but i was hoping it could capture you swinging fore hands and back hands with the camera and motion sensor....

[quote name='thelwig14']is this pricematching any b&m?

I'd love to get a price adjustment at bb.[/quote]

gamestop

bread's done
Back