Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Xbox Rewards Wiki

• Please log in to reply
1793 replies to this topic

#361 imacgod

imacgod

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

Any idea how they handled that promotional code hacking incident a while back where people were generating 160 point codes and the Banshee avatar code?

I'm also partially curious because I know there were a lot of people buying the codes in bulk on eBay. I wonder how Microsoft screwed them.

#362 benjamouth

benjamouth

It's a Bobby Dazzler

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:23 PM

Any idea how they handled that promotional code hacking incident a while back where people were generating 160 point codes and the Banshee avatar code?

I'm also partially curious because I know there were a lot of people buying the codes in bulk on eBay. I wonder how Microsoft screwed them.

I don't think anything happened that we know of, there's no way MS was going to screw people who may have bought codes innocently on Ebay.

Maybe MS went after the worst offenders selling codes wise, but I've not heard anything about it.

MST3K.gif

the+Woodmeister.pngr3jm5K2gQUCv3J-E0gqcBQ2.gif

#363 EcchiBoi

EcchiBoi

Backlogged CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'd imagine Microsoft will treat the situation like when they mistakenly put an arcade game up for free on the marketplace. For those who downloaded the free game prior to them finding out about it have got a free game and after they rectified the price back to normal, everyone else will have to pay for it. They won't charge people who downloaded the game for free but just write it off as a mistake and move on.

Makes sense. Well put good Doctor.
My Backlog Discussion Thread, My XBL DLC Trade List, My PSN DLC Trade List

#364 exileinoblivion

exileinoblivion

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:12 PM

My points are GONE too...just to reiterate...was logging in to use them just now and back to my 270 points. I had 1720...

So there's a very good chance people will be charged as it's simply unfair to those of us who didn't jump on this to spend something that wasn't even ours. Lets face it, if you're here you knew it was a mistake. I can see if you don't frequent forums or something thinking it was just a reward, but coming here you knew full well.

Wow, you just said you were logging on to use them and now you want to say it's unfair because some people got in before you and were able to spend there points before MS revoked them. Talk about a hypocritical.

There is absolutely no way MS will charge people for those points that they spent, it was there mistake and they can rectify it but for those that actually spent the points they just have no standing to demand payment for them. Someone could just easily say that they thought they thought they won a promo or something.

#365 Ryuukishi

Ryuukishi

You tell me where to be

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 04:18 PM

Man, now I wish I had just quickly bought Bastion or something. I was saving the points for Street Fighter III. Oh well.

Ryuukishi634.png Ryuukishi634.jpg f7b9bd594fe9ca11e2a28b479ca21d4c_96ab1df

#366 Greatwhitecoley

Greatwhitecoley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:34 PM

Wow, you just said you were logging on to use them and now you want to say it's unfair because some people got in before you and were able to spend there points before MS revoked them. Talk about a hypocritical.

There is absolutely no way MS will charge people for those points that they spent, it was there mistake and they can rectify it but for those that actually spent the points they just have no standing to demand payment for them. Someone could just easily say that they thought they thought they won a promo or something.

Pretty sure they can legally not charge your credit card without your permission, although I have not really read through the terms and service condition so maybe they have a clause in there.

One thing I read is that they may subtract from your eligible gold sub months, I would think they have a better legal footing for that. I also believe they could probably get away with giving you a negative point balance you have to buy your way out of. If they did either of those though I am sure there would be a really big outcry from the public as both of those are pretty underhanded maneuvers, but they could probably get away with those legally, who knows though.

I am really curious about what they will end up doing.

#367 buddynayr

buddynayr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 05:53 PM

Damn, I noticed something funny yesterday — my balance shot up 700 points weirdly, but just wrote it off. I should have bought something, but I didn't. Now it's back to what it was before. Well, I guess I learned my lesson. Still hoping they give me back those free points!

#368 prayformojo

prayformojo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

How did they correct everyone's account, I see where they added the points, but it appears that they did not back those out and just adjusted my beginning balance for the month of August down by the amount that had been added in error. Weird way of handling it, since it now my account appears out of balance if you go back through the history.

#369 eXciter1

eXciter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

Here's another source to tantalize and confuse everyone:

http://www.thegamera...take-action-now

#370 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

It's not hypocritical at all. I saw there was statements that they won't be charging people or putting them into the negatives so I figured it was ok to go on and use them. I go on to use them and they're gone. That's hypocritical...how?

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#371 Elektr0ns

Elektr0ns

What's next?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Heh I didn't spend the ill gotten points. Chalk one up for being honest. Points gone.
Posted Image Posted Image

One can not be lost if there is no destination.

#372 lordopus99

lordopus99

Training for the silver

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 06:49 PM

It really is simple...

If you got free points and you used them, you only lost the difference between what you spent and what you got for free. I am surprised that Microsoft even gave that bone vs taking all the points out.

If you got free points and you didn't use them, you lost all the free points they gave you.

#373 vherub

vherub

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:42 PM

Had 5760 points, 1320 gifted from ms (220x6), spent 240 yesterday, current balance today is 5740
I'll happily take 220 free points

#374 emeraldgsl

emeraldgsl

Beginning of the End

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

Posted by someone on Joystiq:

I just talked to MS when I noticed that my account had jumped a little over 5000MS. The rep told me that the promo points have been escalated and the matter will be resolved within 72 hours. I ask what they were doing if I had already spent them. The reps answer was that MS is planning on handling the matter is five phases.

1- If the points weren’t spent then they are just going to remove them from the accounts that got them.
2- If the points were spent leaving a zero or negative balance of points and there is a credit card on file, then they are going to bill for the points used.
3- If there is no credit card on file, they plan on sending out an E-mail “demanding” payment.
4- If there is no credit card on file and the “demand” for payment goes unanswered then they “may” subtract months of gold membership that equal the amount of points used.
5- If there is still a negative balance then they plan on banning the console and the account until it is no longer negative. This one she said at least three times.

Don't know how legit this is, but think of it this way...If your bank credits you extra money by accident, you'd still have to pay it back if you withdraw it.

I didn't get free points, but just wanted to throw that out there.
Posted Image

#375 SAVertigo

SAVertigo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.

Sure the 1300 points were a mistake... but the fact that if people used them, they got to keep them, but if you , are like me, a point hoarder during deals, you lost them because you carry a balance seems a little unfair. I'm not going to bitch piss and moan about it, but if they're letting the "shadier" people who saw the points and spent them really quick keep them, seems they should do the same for everyone who was waiting it out to see.

#376 EcchiBoi

EcchiBoi

Backlogged CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:15 PM

Had 5760 points, 1320 gifted from ms (220x6), spent 240 yesterday, current balance today is 5740
I'll happily take 220 free points

They deducted the August reward points you WOULD have otherwise gotten. Same happened to me. I spent the glitch points, but didn't get my August reward points.
My Backlog Discussion Thread, My XBL DLC Trade List, My PSN DLC Trade List

#377 Fearia

Fearia

I'a Cthulhu!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

Posted by someone on Joystiq:

Don't know how legit this is, but think of it this way...If your bank credits you extra money by accident, you'd still have to pay it back if you withdraw it.

I didn't get free points, but just wanted to throw that out there.

The issue with that thought though, is that points aren't universally priced vs currency. They shouldn't charge you full price for using what was in your account if you could get said currency cheaper. The bank can say "you owe us what we gave you", but Microsoft may have some issues unless they just put points in negative status. Because we all know we can get points far cheaper than $5 for 400.

#378 TheFizzzzzz

TheFizzzzzz

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:44 AM

I imagine Microsoft would take away based off of what they charge on marketplace since the points were given that way.... but I doubt they take anything away....

#379 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:23 AM

Guys, they're not going to charge you. Honestly, how can people believe that?

Could you imagine the consumer shit storm? A company can't give you money/credit, let you buy something and then bill you for it after.

seanr1221.png

#380 c2thaj

c2thaj

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:08 AM

Any one do the buy 2 800+ point games get 160 point back deal from last month?

I got my july point rewards but it was only 110.

Guess this is going to be an emailed code. :whee:

#381 Surreal_Sunshine

Surreal_Sunshine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

Any one do the buy 2 800+ point games get 160 point back deal from last month?

I got my july point rewards but it was only 110.

Guess this is going to be an emailed code. :whee:

If you go to http://rewards.xbox.com/ it should show (200msp, btw) under either pending or awarded. http://twitpic.com/65cqjm/full

Edit: My points only showed up after I contacted Xbox support. Whether they had to do something or it was just a coincidence, I can't say. Be ready to tell them what dates the games were purchased.

Edited by Surreal_Sunshine, 13 August 2011 - 11:38 AM.

#382 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:33 PM

Guys, they're not going to charge you. Honestly, how can people believe that?

Could you imagine the consumer shit storm? A company can't give you money/credit, let you buy something and then bill you for it after.

Doing that would be just as bad as what they are apparently doing, and that's letting the (mostly, but not all) dishonest people who spent the points keep them...while punishing those who didn't.

You know, they could easily ban GT's for it, it's just basically a few mouse clicks...they could deduct XBL gold time...they could put people in the negative MSP...or they COULD just flat out bill people.

What should they do? Probably just give all those who had the points taken away a free XBLA game or maybe a couple months of Gold and just call it even.

Edited by JKSonic, 13 August 2011 - 12:45 PM.

233526.png

#383 Doctor Who

Doctor Who

Vworp Vworp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:48 PM

Doing that would be just has what they are apparently doing, and that's letting the (mostly, but not all) dishonest people who spent the points keep them...while punishing those who didn't.

You know, they could easily ban GT's for it, it's just basically a few mouse clicks...they could deduct XBL gold time...they could put people in the negative MSP...or they COULD just flat out bill people.

What should they do? Probably just give all those who had the points taken away a free XBLA game or maybe a couple months of Gold and just call it even.

I don't think we should feel entitled to anything just because we didn't spend our points in time. It was a mistake by Microsoft and they rectified what they could be revoking the free points that were left in our accounts. If we didn't spend our points in time, tough luck, as the old saying goes, easy come, easy go.

I was going to wait until Toy Soldiers 2 was released next week but now my points have gone but oh well. Just like when an arcade was initially, accidentally put up for free on the marketplace and then put up to full price, we missed out, and we shouldn't feel entitled to having that game for free just because a few people did.

All this misinformation and scaremongering regarding charging people cards, banning their gamertags and/or putting their MS points into the negative does feel somewhat like sour grapes IMO. Especially the 'dishonest' dig that's being thrown around.

#384 MacaqueOwnzU

MacaqueOwnzU

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 12:53 PM

I don't think we should feel entitled to anything just because we didn't spend our points in time. It was a mistake by Microsoft and they rectified what they could be revoking the free points that were left in our accounts. If we didn't spend our points in time, tough luck, as the old saying goes, easy come, easy go.

I was going to wait until Toy Soldiers 2 was released next week but now my points have gone but oh well. Just like when an arcade was initially, accidentally put up for free on the marketplace and then put up to full price, we missed out, and we shouldn't feel entitled to having that game for free just because a few people did.

All this misinformation and scaremongering regarding charging people cards, banning their gamertags and/or putting their MS points into the negative does feel somewhat like sour grapes IMO. Especially the 'dishonest' dig that's being thrown around.

Bingo.

I was on Sonic's side and if they give a free XBLA game or whatnot cool. But c'mon man, now it's coming off as jealous. You missed out on something and want people who didn't miss out punished.

#385 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:34 PM

Bingo.

I was on Sonic's side and if they give a free XBLA game or whatnot cool. But c'mon man, now it's coming off as jealous. You missed out on something and want people who didn't miss out punished.

No no I don't WANT them punished. I was simply replying to all the people saying that MS COULD NOT punish people and it would be unlawful to do so. I was just pointing out that they could very easily punish people and do so in a variety of ways. Not only that, it wouldn't even be technically punishing anybody.

I pretty much agree with you. It's just there's some days/times in my life with then unfairness of it all kind of gets to me. Been sick this week and the meds they gave me pretty much got me just as sick, a lot of other stuff has been catching up to me... And I was pretty excited that I'd be able to get a free game or some free DLC or something and it sucked pretty bad to have it taken away. The fact that those who knowingly spent the points got to keep their haul was just salt on the wound.

233526.png

#386 MacaqueOwnzU

MacaqueOwnzU

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

No no I don't WANT them punished. I was simply replying to all the people saying that MS COULD NOT punish people and it would be unlawful to do so. I was just pointing out that they could very easily punish people and do so in a variety of ways. Not only that, it wouldn't even be technically punishing anybody.

I pretty much agree with you. It's just there's some days/times in my life with then unfairness of it all kind of gets to me. Been sick this week and the meds they gave me pretty much got me just as sick, a lot of other stuff has been catching up to me... And I was pretty excited that I'd be able to get a free game or some free DLC or something and it sucked pretty bad to have it taken away. The fact that those who knowingly spent the points got to keep their haul was just salt on the wound.

Ahh ok. Still I think they would have a problem since their support team came out and said enjoy them, have fun, no worries, etc. That pretty much sealed it imo. But yeah they might announce a free game or avatar award/prop. Since they haven't technically made a official statement it could still happen.

#387 Greatwhitecoley

Greatwhitecoley

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:02 PM

Sounds like I should have used those points to get insanely twisted shadow planet for free. Oh well.

#388 seanr1221

seanr1221

Posted 13 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

Doing that would be just as bad as what they are apparently doing, and that's letting the (mostly, but not all) dishonest people who spent the points keep them...while punishing those who didn't.

No, they would never ban Gamer Tags for this, they will never charge and they won't do anything about it.

MS is a business, not your angry parent.

The reason they didn't let everyone just keep the points, is because from their perspective, they can salvage the situation a little bit. If you spent the points? Oh well, that's a loss. What would banning your tag do? What would charging you do, besides creating a horrible legal situation.

Imagine if Best Buy sent you a giftcard in the mail. It had 100.00 on it. You spent the 100.00. Then Best Buy says, "Oh, that was a mistake, so we're going to charge you."

You can't do that.

Also, consider this. The majority of people on Live DON'T read sites like this. They probably looked at their account (if they were in the right place at the right time) and thought "Oh I got more points" or "I don't know how many I had before" and what happens then they spend them?

Fact is, the people trying to make people scared, are the ones upset because they didn't spend their points right away.

seanr1221.png

#389 clickpow

clickpow

Zeus himself

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

"If you received an unexpected deposit of MS points due to the server issues on your rewards program, then please know that we will not take back the contents that were purchased/redeemed using it. The MS points that were not used are retracted since you have not earned nor purchased the points."

That's what they told me in my emails with them.
:cold:

#390 gordojones88

gordojones88

Sith Lord Darth CAG

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 August 2011 - 04:20 PM

The fact that those who knowingly spent the points got to keep their haul was just salt on the wound.

Successful CAG is successful.
Posted Image

Posted Image

My problem was this hoarder took all of them including my one copy as I helped her.