Eden of the East: The King of Eden $13.99 @ Amazon

Ah, whoops, meant to post this about an hour ago but got distracted. I was so excited when I woke up this morning and saw the price drop! Great movie, but don't bother if you haven't seen the TV series first, as this functions as a direct sequel.

I already bought it. Sure, it's only $6 less and I used credit to purchase it but still. Really? D:

To those who enjoyed the series, buy now. You'll need this and the second movie to complete the story and I doubt it's going to get any lower any time soon.

Thanks for the heads up on this! I just got the series when it was on sale, and I had been eyeing up this movie at $19.99, but now at $13.99 I can't pass it up!

got this along with summer wars and trigun. although i wont watch it till i after i buy and watch the series. what was the sale price last week?

[quote name='62t']When is the second movie coming out[/QUOTE]
i'm more concerned if the 2nd movie release is a combo of both the first & second. does anyone know? don't want to be stuck with 2 copies of the first movie.

[quote name='basis']i'm more concerned if the 2nd movie release is a combo of both the first & second. does anyone know? don't want to be stuck with 2 copies of the first movie.[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen.

What does this series compare to? Is it like a Death Note or Ghost in a Shell SAC? The action thriller description sounds interesting but I was not sure if I would like it.

[quote name='ZR0 Limit']Jumped on this. Tempted to preorder Cowboy Bebop the movie on BD for $12.99, too.[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna hop on that, Summer Wars was just ok IMO

[quote name='jedimario']What does this series compare to? Is it like a Death Note or Ghost in a Shell SAC? The action thriller description sounds interesting but I was not sure if I would like it.[/QUOTE]

The guy who directed Ghost in a Shell directed this. It involves conspiracies, NEET's, there's a whole undertone of the past vs. future generations and a thrill of intrigue. There's action, but it's not like a fighting anime. The concept is that 12 people were given 10 billion yen to save Japan (from it's social problems). The anime follows Akira Takizawa and the movie is a direct continuation of the show. As others have mentioned; it's on Netflix. Give it a spin and see how you like it.
:bouncy:

[quote name='jedimario']What does this series compare to? Is it like a Death Note or Ghost in a Shell SAC? The action thriller description sounds interesting but I was not sure if I would like it.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure it can be compared to either of those, but in my opinion, it's also better than both.

Got my package yesterday, and wondering if anyone else thinks the lack of a blu-ray case is putting anyone else off?

I understand it's a dvd/blu-ray combo, but now it looks like ass on my shelf next to me other blu-rays.

[quote name='Squarehard']Got my package yesterday, and wondering if anyone else thinks the lack of a blu-ray case is putting anyone else off?

I understand it's a dvd/blu-ray combo, but now it looks like ass on my shelf next to me other blu-rays.[/QUOTE]

Bleh, really? That's an unfortunate decision on Funimation's part.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Bleh, really? That's an unfortunate decision on Funimation's part.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think that's what they're trying to do with all the DVD/Blu-ray combos, which I hope is not the case, but right now, the decision is meh...

photo2xh.jpg

photo1rxg.jpg

Damn reflection off the factory wrap on the second picture ~_~

It should also be mentioned the first movie (King of Eden) kind of loses focus and direction. It feels more like episodes 12, 13 and 14 of the TV series in terms of plot advancement.

Also, huge facepalm when they decided to break out the self-induced amnesia plot again.

[quote name='broadbandit']So how is this compared to just Eden of the East? I enjoyed that immensely[/QUOTE]

You will enjoy it as long as you know that the movie is pretty much just a continuation of the series, and not really a standalone movie on its own, persay.

[quote name='broadbandit']So how is this compared to just Eden of the East? I enjoyed that immensely[/QUOTE]
It's definitely lower in quality than the TV series story wise. And just because it was presented as a feature film in Japan doesn't mean you can expect Eva 2.22 or Summer Wars presentation quality all of a sudden. Visually, it's the same as the TV series. And like I said, the plot doesn't really go anywhere in the first movie. It probably should have been released as an OVA.

Guess I won't buy it yet... I have the Snow White dvd/bluray combo that's dvd sized, and that one sticks out like a tumor on my bluray shelf. If the bluray/dvd combo had the same art for the slip cover, I would have gotten that instead.

[quote name='matthewhsh2002']would you guys recommend this to someone who hasn't watched the series?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Watch the series first.

Well at least if Funi keeps up with those cases they won't stand out as much once I get more of them.

[quote name='matthewhsh2002']would you guys recommend this to someone who hasn't watched the series?[/QUOTE]

This is technically part of the series, a continuation of the story, so I would recommend to watch the series first before watching it. The show is great (and available on Netflix streaming, which is were I watched it), but if you watch the show, prepare to want to watch the movie as well.

Hey everyone thanks for the recommendaiton to watch the series. If you are interested, all 11 episodes are available on Hulu.

[quote name='dafunkk12']Thanks! Now for Eva 2.22 to go on sale...[/QUOTE]

you guys need to just go ahead and get it @ $20. I thought it was amazing. I swear I stopped blinking while watching it.

[quote name='sigmano9']you guys need to just go ahead and get it @ $20. I thought it was amazing. I swear I stopped blinking while watching it.[/QUOTE]

It was in my goldbox, so I broke down and bought it for $18.99 or whatever the discount ended up being. Haven't watched it yet.

I'm disappointed funi went with dvd cases for these blu/dvd combo packs. Not sure why they don't use blu ray packaging like their other BRs as it's smaller and probably cheaper to make
Picture41.jpg

[quote name='mewantgames']I'm disappointed funi went with dvd cases for these blu/dvd combo packs. Not sure why they don't use blu ray packaging like their other BRs as it's smaller and probably cheaper to make
Picture41.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I agree I'm disappointed that they went this route with the packaging. I was hoping it would come in a blu ray sized case with a slipcover but alas. I'm still thinking about ordering this though. You can't beat $13.99 but maybe if enough people refuse to buy it and call and let them know they are disappointed with the packing maybe next time we'll get the blu ray sized case.

I've already posted all over their Facebook of how much I think this new decision for DVD cases suck ass.

I'm more hoping for them to ship out replacements at some point even, like the whole Simpsons head cases fiasco.

But it's doubtful they'll go that far to appease the masses.

[quote name='Squarehard']I've already posted all over their Facebook of how much I think this new decision for DVD cases suck ass.

I'm more hoping for them to ship out replacements at some point even, like the whole Simpsons head cases fiasco.

But it's doubtful they'll go that far to appease the masses.[/QUOTE]
I've got a feeling they just have a massive stockpile of these DVD cases left to burn through, so they're using them instead of the BD ones.

I also think a case replacement program is unlikely given how already unprofitable the anime/manga in the US is these days (even compared to a few years ago). (Though I'm sure if there's a content problem, that would justify the publisher spending the money to replace discs.)

Mine keeps coming in broken. The bottom latch that holds the middle swinging "door" was broke on the first one I bought, then I sent it back...and the same thing. I dont know what the deal is...

[quote name='optimusprime8062']Mine keeps coming in broken. The bottom latch that holds the middle swinging "door" was broke on the first one I bought, then I sent it back...and the same thing. I dont know what the deal is...[/QUOTE]
Thats pretty terrible. mines came the same way -___-'
i basically just threw the whole door away and toss'd it aside since ill only watch the blu-ray.....

[quote name='Squarehard']I've already posted all over their Facebook of how much I think this new decision for DVD cases suck ass.

But it's doubtful they'll go that far to appease the masses.[/QUOTE]

I hope they can at least let you print out your own blu ray size cover

bread's done
Back