Red Dead Redemption -- 29.99 @ TRU

dakid1000

CAGiversary!
Just stopped by my local toys r us in stockton, california and it has RDR on sale for thirty bucks on both consoles. The sign in store said that the sale is good until 5/28.

I don't remember seeing it in the ad, so if you're interested and don't have the game yet, pick it up ;-)

[quote name='Enuf']RDR GOTY incoming? Possible GH's also timing seems right with LA Noire so close package deals like buy LA Noire get RDR for $20.

Link:
http://thegamingliberty.com/index.php/2011/02/01/rockstar-readies-red-dead-redemption-goty-edition/[/QUOTE]

That's probably the case... in which case, I'd just wait.

I enjoyed RDR a lot (my 2010 GotY), but I honestly wonder why I bother getting games near release these days since every company puts out a GotY or Ultimate version with all the bonus content/DLC for a lot less.:whistle2:k

I'll just wait for the GOTY. I traded in RDR to BB for $30, so I'm just biding my time right now.

BTW, will the GOTY allow you to use your game saves on the original?

[quote name='Vinny']That's probably the case... in which case, I'd just wait.

I enjoyed RDR a lot (my 2010 GotY), but I honestly wonder why I bother getting games near release these days since every company puts out a GotY or Ultimate version with all the bonus content/DLC for a lot less.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

It's all about the pre-order promos to me if I get the game on day 1 for $30-$40 plus $10-$20 in credit by the time the GOTY comes out I can usually get $20 back & put that towards the GOTY at no loss. I never buy DLC anyways so I don't have to make that back up. It's all about reading the tea leafs & knowing what a companies track record is. MVC3 there will be another one w/all the DLC, Dragon Age 2 same I think ME3 might too(delayed till 2012) the PS3 version of ME2 opens that door.

Waiting on the GOTY as well. I almost never buy a game at release as well. Making an exception for Catherine. :D

Hey did anyone hear this is getting a Game of the Year edition? Which, incidentally, is an absolutely meaningless title?

Why would you wait for something that my not even come out?

You can get Red Dead Redemption and the Undead Nightmare for $40 now in days. There is your GOTY edition.

[quote name='ral1121']Why would you wait for something that my not even come out?

You can get Red Dead Redemption and the Undead Nightmare for $40 now in days. There is your GOTY edition.[/QUOTE]

Because it's almost guaranteed to come out, even without that link someone just posted. All big games with DLC come out with GOTY/Complete editions.

Furthermore, Rockstar's already done it with two previous games this generation.

[quote name='Vinny']That's probably the case... in which case, I'd just wait.

I enjoyed RDR a lot (my 2010 GotY), but I honestly wonder why I bother getting games near release these days since every company puts out a GotY or Ultimate version with all the bonus content/DLC for a lot less.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

I would say because of online MP, but then again Uncharted 2 mp is still crazy active. Glad i got that GOTY :)

Got RDR & Undead during black friday for $50. Good game, but not great imo. Guess I'm tired of the whole "GTA Formula".

So after the GOTY comes out, the regular edition will be clearanced in most stores. So the question, should I buy the regular edition for maybe 10 bucks somewhere or wait another year or so and get the GOTY edition for 20?

So has anyone confirmed this deal is all over and not regional? TRU is a bit of a drive for me and with gas costing 40 billion dollars a gallon I'd hate to drive there and find the sale isn't in effect.

One game I don't regret getting on release day.

So glad I didn't wait for a GOTY edition, you guys are missing out big time.

I picked up RDR for $30 and Undead Nightmare (Disc based version) for $10.

One question - is there a disc based Undead Nightmare that does not contain Liars and Cheats and Killers and Legends? I thought I installed everything on the disc, but it does not show the ability to play anything other than Undead Nightmare.

Are the other 2 DLC packs simply integrated into the game (so they aren't selectable add-ons to play)?

[quote name='Y2Bogus']So has anyone confirmed this deal is all over and not regional? TRU is a bit of a drive for me and with gas costing 40 billion dollars a gallon I'd hate to drive there and find the sale isn't in effect.[/QUOTE]

I saw the same deal in Sac yesterday, so I think it's everywhere

I read this as Red Faction Armageddon for 30 bucks.

Guys, if you just want Red Faction multiplayer, just get the Undead Nightmare DISC. The single player is still pretty bad, like the original game. It's interesting for the first hour until it repeats itself over and over. Horse riding is much faster though.

[quote name='dakid1000']Well don't I just feel like a sucker[/QUOTE]

Don't. Rockstar won't release the RDR GOTY anytime around the LA Noire release date.

Play it and enjoy it at a good price and track down undead online for 5-10 and you're set

[quote name='Microshock']I read this as Red Faction Armageddon for 30 bucks.

Guys, if you just want Red Faction multiplayer, just get the Undead Nightmare DISC. The single player is still pretty bad, like the original game. It's interesting for the first hour until it repeats itself over and over. Horse riding is much faster though.[/QUOTE]

What? RDR single player is amazing. One of the best games I've ever played.

[quote name='H3xum']Don't. Rockstar won't release the RDR GOTY anytime around the LA Noire release date.[/QUOTE]
Gamestop & Amazon have a RDR GoTY strategy guide listed as releasing in august & september respectively. I've never heard of a guide releasing much earlier or later than the game it's for.

[quote name='blindinglights']One game I don't regret getting on release day.

So glad I didn't wait for a GOTY edition, you guys are missing out big time.[/QUOTE]

I don't see how anyone is missing out by waiting. This game doesn't have a big multiplayer component so the idea of buying on or around day 1 to participate when the online userbase is the largest isn't present.

The single player experience is going to be exactly the same, doesn't matter if it is played at release or a year later. The only thing that changes is how much extra you have in your pocket after the purchase.

Personally, while I thought the game looked good. I didn't see a multiplayer component worthy of a $60 purchase so I am definately in the camp that is waiting. Originally $30 was my buy price but then all the DLC came out and I knew an ultimate or GOTY edition was coming so now I'm waiting for that.

There are plenly of other games to play in the meantime.

[quote name='BillyBob29']I don't see how anyone is missing out by waiting. This game doesn't have a big multiplayer component so the idea of buying on or around day 1 to participate when the online userbase is the largest isn't present.

The single player experience is going to be exactly the same, doesn't matter if it is played at release or a year later. The only thing that changes is how much extra you have in your pocket after the purchase.

Personally, while I thought the game looked good. I didn't see a multiplayer component worthy of a $60 purchase so I am definately in the camp that is waiting. Originally $30 was my buy price but then all the DLC came out and I knew an ultimate or GOTY edition was coming so now I'm waiting for that.

There are plenly of other games to play in the meantime.[/QUOTE]

I almost replied to his post also but decided not to. Let's face it, there are always some people, even on CAG, that claim people are 'missing out' because they chose to play it a year or two later and pay significantly less for the game and dlc. My only decision now, do I buy the original release when it is. clearanced for 10 after the goty is released or do I wait until late 2012 and pick up the goty version for 20 then.
I'm not sure when the next xbox and playstations come out but when they do, it will drive down prices too. We know the next Nintendo console is coming out in 2012.

[quote name='typical guy']We know the next Nintendo console is coming out in 2012.[/QUOTE]
Uhh no, this november. Nintendo has released a new console (NOT handheld) every 5 years since the SNES.

[quote name='BillyBob29']I don't see how anyone is missing out by waiting. This game doesn't have a big multiplayer component so the idea of buying on or around day 1 to participate when the online userbase is the largest isn't present.

I'm not sure how you define big multiplayer component, but there is a lot going on with RDR's. It's much more fleshed out than GTA IV's was. It's also a lot of fun.

The game has been easy to find for $30 for awhile now. It's also been available for $20 and $26 that I can recall. All of the DLC was on sale for $12.50. If all you care about is the single player anyway, that Undead Nightmare pack was only $5. I'm not sure how much money is being saved by waiting, unless you're then going to wait for the GOTY pack to drop as well.

I hear what you are saying, but its unlikely the GOTY is going to be cheap when it comes out (probably $50 or $60 with the regular version dropping to platinum hits price level of $30) and most of the RDR DLC has been multiplayer related. So if you aren't interested in mutliplayer, there is no real reason to wait for the GOTY...Yeah, undead nightmare has a single player part but the single player part is only 800 points for download (and will probably go on sale again some time soon for even less)....if you really want it. Given that $30 for a new copy of RDR is cheaper than what gamestop charges for a used copy of it, I'd go for it if I was in the market for a single player experience that had a fair bit of game time attached to it.

Likewise, as some of the comments indicate, there is fair bit of polarization about the game itself (some love the single player, some think the single player is lame but the multiplayer is alright, ect)....Personally, I had to give it a second chance after getting annoyed about the slow start and fussy camera (as well as the fact that if I'm such a bad ass in the game, why aren't I just threatening to burn down the west until my wife and child are returned instead of doing the bidding of the people who took my family...but maybe that's just me) the first time I played it. Personally, I would suggest going in cheap to start off to see how I liked it first vs. waiting for the super ultra mega deluxe version

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Uhh no, this november. Nintendo has released a new console (NOT handheld) every 5 years since the SNES.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo is saying 2012.

[quote name='K_G']I hear what you are saying, but its unlikely the GOTY is going to be cheap when it comes out (probably $50 or $60 with the regular version dropping to platinum hits price level of $30)...[/QUOTE]
Didn't the GTA4+DLC bundle get released at $40? RDR could follow suit.

[quote name='Thrinn']Didn't the GTA4+DLC bundle get released at $40? RDR could follow suit.[/QUOTE]

It did, but it came out almost two and a half years after the game's launch. $40 sounds likely to me, but since RDR hasn't been out as long they may try to charge more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out for $60 like many other GOTY sets do. I personally don't care if it takes 3 years to drop to 20 bucks. I'm patient and am more than willing to wait however long it takes. It's a video game after all and there are others at low prices I can play.

Even if the GOTY is $50 there will be deals to get it $30-$40 relatively soon then just trade it in or sell it for $20-$30 when your done with it.
$30-$40 for the GOTY minus the $20 TIV gets you the game at the same $20-$30 "value" that people who wait forever for the game to drop to $20-$30. Hell if your a "real CAG" you should be getting "value" both when buying & selling/trading games.

My strategy is simple
1-buy games you want day 1 but get the best credit/giftcard offers.
2-If your backlog is filled from games that came with credit/gc offers this will automatically make the game in #1 cheaper.
3-Protect yourself from huge early price drops by buying from a place with a long pm window(I have 45 days)
4-If the games a sequel check out the previous pattern
5-check CAG to make sure your ahead of the pack by knowing next weeks ads before you purchase this week.

Thre really isn't much to warrent a GOTY. Just multiplayer packs and Red Dead Undead and some alternate outfits.

I think this price was suppose to be online also. If you search for the game at TRU, you will see the game showing up twice for each system. One is marked "SAVE: online only price" but its the same price as the normal one. Some idiot forgot to make it $30.

[quote name='UberNinjaz']Gamestop & Amazon have a RDR GoTY strategy guide listed as releasing in august & september respectively. I've never heard of a guide releasing much earlier or later than the game it's for.[/QUOTE]

A couple of months ago, that guide was listed as releasing in May. They just keep pushing the date back until they get it right. It's no indication of when the game is coming out.

bread's done
Back