Blockbuster R.I.P.

[quote name='Invicta 61']All gift cards in the U.S. expired on April 6th as part of their bankruptcy. Not sure about Canada.[/QUOTE]

Canadian Gift Cards never expire. It was a change the government put into effect years ago. (Or at least ones in Ontario)

[quote name='gsrce']Canadian Gift Cards never expire. It was a change the government put into effect years ago. (Or at least ones in Ontario)[/QUOTE]

Yeah but if there's no store to redeem it at...

Well, I'm sure before they close down completely, if they do, there will be plenty of "everything must go" sales, and they'd take giftcards during that phase. Might actually work out pretty well for you if they clean out inventory.

The Toronto Star reported that Blockbuster isn't supposed to sell any more gift cards, but you should be fine with the ones you have. You might want to make some plans about using them soon, though.

I had your mother in receivership last night

now that that is out of the way, glad I used my gift cards

[quote name='blandstalker']The Toronto Star reported that Blockbuster isn't supposed to sell any more gift cards, but you should be fine with the ones you have. You might want to make some plans about using them soon, though.[/QUOTE]

I ran into that this week. I tried to get a gift card, and the CSR said they were not allowed to sell them any more. Now I'll have to find stuff to burn through the credit I have on my account ... don't want to lose that.

I got about $100 credit over a couple cards as well. I was hoping to hold on and use them for Duke Nukem Forever, however I might just grab a bunch of XBLA points cards instead depending on what happens.

So, I spent my $128 card this morning on $60 Portal 2 and $50 Carnival games Kinect for my nieces/nephews. Really leaves a bad taste in your mouth spending that much on stuff that's much cheaper elsewhere.

Whatever, the credit is gone and I don't need to go back. If they happen to get stock of LA Noire in a couple of weeks(probably no chance of that), I'll go swap Portal for it and pick it up again later, unless I feel compelled to play it in the meantime(it is calling my name :))

[quote name='rmatheso']I got about $100 credit over a couple cards as well. I was hoping to hold on and use them for Duke Nukem Forever, however I might just grab a bunch of XBLA points cards instead depending on what happens.[/QUOTE]

I'd suggest for people to buy something they might want now, keep it unopened and with receipt, then return it in 30 days (assuming local store policy allows this). Then return it before time is up. That way, you can "cash out" now with a product, then return it if BB still exists in 30 days. Then repeat the process until Duke Nukem comes out.

I had a feeling this would come up, after the DVD trade in deal. Very smart move by Blockbuster, they traded a ton of physical merchandise they can liquidate, for credit that people will either burn on bad deals, or forget to use entirely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know whether or not they'll be receiving new stock? I've got a little bit of credit and was going to pick up Brink on Tuesday with it...

[quote name='adayinthelife']Does anyone know whether or not they'll be receiving new stock? I've got a little bit of credit and was going to pick up Brink on Tuesday with it...[/QUOTE]

as far as i know, nothing is changing right now other than not taking pre-orders (and the gift card stuff that happened last week). i was told they will still get all new games and movies.

that said, in this situation, things can change really quickly. i got rid of half of my credit today by buying a ps3 and portal 2. i won't hold on to the rest too long, just to be safe. worst case scenario, i can get another ps3 and sell it, or return it if things clear up within a few weeks.

on a related note, i was told today that they're now allowed to just give out the gears 3 beta codes to anyone since they can't take pre-orders...in case anyone was still looking for one.

http://www.blockbuster.ca/images/main/home_page_notice_giftcards_en.pdf

Effective April 30, 2011 all Blockbuster stores in Canada have suspended the sale of gift cards and Blockbuster Rewards programs. This suspension will remain in place until further notice.

All of the Blockbuster stores across Canada will continue to honour outstanding gift cards, Blockbuster Rewards coupons, and other customer programs during this period. Blockbuster customers will currently receive full value for all previously purchased gift cards and programs. Warranties and exchanges will not be impacted by this change.

Aside from this change, Blockbuster stores in Canada are open for business and fully stocked with the latest games and new releases.

[quote name='ragnar14']Yeah sure, they'd love to have you on the hook for that :lol:

[/QUOTE]

Not saying I'd do it. But I can assure you I know some who would.

[quote name='Korahn']perhaps it's time to go rent a few games and "forget" to return 'em....[/QUOTE]

That would probably be a particularly effective lesson on how credit ratings work. ;)

[quote name='collector42']That would probably be a particularly effective lesson on how credit ratings work. ;)[/QUOTE]

lol. Yeah, i would think that when they are about to completely go under, they will throw all charges to the collections agency. Definitely not a good idea.

But, just wait for the clearance sale, and you should be able to get some great deals!

This is depressing, for two reasons.

1. Renting games at Blockbuster was a huge part of my childhood. It's where I first played the Virtual Boy. I know these guys are doomed and it's sad to see an institution of my childhood slowly dying.

2. The horders will be out in full force with their grab bags at this news. It's not even a good opportunity to get some good deals, because some RFD types will just come and essentially loot everything. The stories from the various Rogers' sales were sickening.

I got $110 in cards all together i'm trying to decide what to do

buy Socom 4 and Medal Of Honor or Socom 4 and BF:BC2 Ultimate Edition or BF:BC2 UE + Sly Cooper + Medal Of Honor ? either way if i buy the last three it's $115 if i buy the First 2 it's $115

i really want Socom 4 But at the same time if i buy the last three i get like 7 games total MOH With MOH FL HD and BF:BC2 With BF1943 and Sly 1 2 and 3

Any opinions here ? ( also never played Sly before or the NEW MOH but have played BF:BC2 and MOH FL for PS2 )

I'll second what Rocky071 said, except for the Virtual Boy part. That part was weird.

The worst part of it isn't the fact that Blockbuster is closing, it's all the hoarders who are already like vultures circling a person dying of thirst in the desert. Get a life. It's sickening. R.I.P. Blockbuster.

Blockbuster stores actually do really well in Canada, so they'll probably just get bought out and stay in business.
I wouldn't expect much from them deal wise even if they do go under, if their 'clearance centres' are any indication.

Im not sure there is any credible information to be found that they are doing "really well". Media is reporting $400m with 400 stores (which doesn't strike me as well at all).

But that probably comes from 2009

"459 stores in Canada, where sales fell to $399.1-million in 2009, down 17 per cent from $482.7-million a year earlier. Video-on-demand from cable and telecom companies has been largely responsible for that drop, "

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...r-months-away-from-chapter-11/article1504162/

Presumably sales have continued to drop since 09. Most likely your gross margins are dropping if sales are falling that fast, and we can see things like the coupon book being far better this year and them pricing traded in items at the same price they took them for. Even if $1m gross per store is accurate that isn't much for stores that size.

I stopped in to my local BBV after work, and found out that today (Thursday, May 12th, 2011), is the last day they will:

- accept trade-ins on games/movies
- sell the game pass
- sell the movie pass

Needles to say, I used up the rest of the credit on my account. I hope they are able to survive ... I enjoyed dealing with my local store. The staff are great, and they usually had some good deals on used games/movies.

[quote name='onemorechanc'] I hope they are able to survive ... I enjoyed dealing with my local store. The staff are great, and they usually had some good deals on used games/movies.[/QUOTE]

I totally feel the same way. I genuinely like the guys that work at my neighborhood BBV.

[QUOTE='Cube Daddy;8464968]I totally feel the same way. I genuinely like the guys that work at my neighborhood BBV.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Always had a good relationship with them. Also made life a lot easier if needed to do trade in deals with ebgames.

While I will feel sorry for the employees that will lose their jobs, I have no sympathy for Blockbuster itself.

They have a tendency to accuse people of not returning rentals, only to find that the item had in fact been returned (happened to me three times and they lost my business). This has never happened to me at any other rental place - from variety stores to dedicated rental stores.

The policy of demanding that any bag you are carrying goes behind the counter when you enter the store is insulting. You are being treated like a thief. I can't see how anybody over the age of 20 can tolerate this method of treating customers.

However, I am a big fan of competition between businesses, so I would prefer if they did stay open, but I certainly will not be one of their customers.

Was in today, noticed medal of honor was down to 14.99 for ps3 and 360. Not sure if that's a new price or not, but it was new to me. Fable 3 was also at that price.

I was talking to my buddy who's in BBV management, they got bought out by another company (he couldn't disclose which, it'll be officially announced in June), and they will be staying open. After the deal is finalized they will resume tradeins and gamepasses and the like.

[quote name='VictoriaDave']Was in today, noticed medal of honor was down to 14.99 for ps3 and 360. Not sure if that's a new price or not, but it was new to me. Fable 3 was also at that price.[/QUOTE]

Damn It ! just weeks ago i got it for $29.99 by the gift card along with Sly Cooper and BFBC2 UE

[quote name='Nukkus']I was talking to my buddy who's in BBV management, they got bought out by another company (he couldn't disclose which, it'll be officially announced in June), and they will be staying open. After the deal is finalized they will resume tradeins and gamepasses and the like.[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness. I actually like the guys at my local Blockbuster and I'm glad if they can stick around.

I've read on RFD that the BBV locations in Montreal are going to be stopping rentals on Wednesday, and then closing for good on June 18th (followed by a huge closing sale for any CAG's in Montreal, according to a store employee the person who posted that spoke to). I'm guessing that either the company who bought BBV still plans to close some locations, or the employee could be mistaken. Either way, potential heads up for people looking for cheap stuff in that area.

numerous stores throughout the chain will be closing on the 18th. any store that is closing received that notice last week.

as far as i know, a buyer is interested, but the sale either is dependent on the blockbuster name being included (which is in court right now) or it can't be announced until after the court's decision. it's still not known if the stores that will remain open will still be called 'blockbuster'.

[quote name='Jouvert']Thank goodness. I actually like the guys at my local Blockbuster and I'm glad if they can stick around.[/QUOTE]

Delaying the inevitable, unfortunately. Aside from a handful of specialty local shops, the brick and mortar media rental business will be dead in 10 years. Heavy users will move onto unlimited rent by mail, casual users will head to "movie cube" machines, and both groups will head online as well.

If Blockbuster retail locations do survive, they will have much more cell phone, electronics and media sales, and very little rental space.

[quote name='cm matty']numerous stores throughout the chain will be closing on the 18th. any store that is closing received that notice last week.

as far as i know, a buyer is interested, but the sale either is dependent on the blockbuster name being included (which is in court right now) or it can't be announced until after the court's decision. it's still not known if the stores that will remain open will still be called 'blockbuster'.[/QUOTE]

Is there any online way to find out which stores will be closing? I'm pretty interested in finding out if either of the St. John's (NL) locations will be closing or staying open.

They say that June 18th will be the closing day for the stores, with the 17th being the liquidation day.

Too bad to see Rogers and Blockbuster closing many of their stores, both of had great deals on used games in the past. If they go, I guess I can look forward to being gouged by EB, BB and FS.

Bottom line is that nobody rents DVD's or Blurays anymore, renting a blu-ray is like $8 and you can buy some titles for that price. Everyone seems happy VOD or Netflixing with hardcore movie lovers just buying the disc.

Game over man.

i love renting, owning is too expensive, not gonna stream at lower quality & missing extras

if only rogers kept their 1 free 7day rental a month deal

[quote name='gamer602']Ask if they close at 5pm this thursday.
If so, they are closing :([/QUOTE]

Just phoned right now- 4:45 pm- the BB at grant park-winnipeg said they are closed, so that does not look good.

Were there any sales going on at any of these closing stores?
The BBV in Winnipeg on Pembina and Dalhousie just closed today too, I knew I should have taken a look there earlier after seeing this thread.
Now where am I supposed to use this gift card?!

bread's done
Back