Alice: Madness Returns

Buuhan1

CAGiversary!
Release Date: June 14, 2011
Sequel to 2000's American McGee's Alice for the PC.

Beyond me why this game doesn't have a thread. I've been awaiting the game for a year now, keeping an updated thread on a forum I regular. I've never actually played the first game but I instantly became intrigued by Madness Returns due to its artstyle and twisted nature upon seeing it in a gaming magazine.

I think I may play the original that is coming with copies of MR before I jump into MR.

Here's the first 10 minutes of the game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hru2jGOio-I

I hate reserving new games because they drop in price so quickly, but I reserved this simply because it's so twisted. I'll probably give the first game code away on my site but I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit :)

[quote name='SynGamer'] I'll probably give the first game code away on my site but I'm looking forward to this one quite a bit :)[/QUOTE]
From what I heard, the first game isn't a separate download, the code just unlocks it on the disc.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']From what I heard, the first game isn't a separate download, the code just unlocks it on the disc.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Alice 1 is on Madness Returns disc, it will not be a downloadable title off PSN/XBLA. You either buy a new copy of MR and get the voucher to unlock it, or you buy MR used without a voucher and have to buy the unlock pass for $10 off PSN/XBLA. It is the same thing as the multiplayer passes that have become common.

MR's trophy list also includes trophies for Alice 1, so you'd have to play it to platinum.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']From what I heard, the first game isn't a separate download, the code just unlocks it on the disc.[/QUOTE]

I was under the impression it was a DLC code. They mentioned in one of the interviews that it would also be available on PSN/XBL for those who buy the game used...we'll see though.

[quote name='EspressoSnail']I can't wait for this game. I loved the first one. :D I'll enjoy playing it again![/QUOTE]

I loved the atmosphere, graphics, and music of the first one.

But I'm sorry - the gameplay and most of the weaponry was wildly uneven to the point of being broken in places. Ended up cheat coding my way throught the last part to see the ending.

Totally worth it though. Outside of the Silent Hill franchise it was hands-down the spookiest game I've ever played.

The original is a classic for me. The atmosphere sucked me right in from the get go. I have gone back and played it quite a few times over the years. I even have the Figures that were sold at Virgin Megastore back in the day.

Anyone else listen to the soundtrack yet? I never got around to beating the original Alice back in the day (read: 2004 or so which is when I actually bought it) due to its janky-ass platforming (hopefully the console port will have improved controls -- I actually plan to play it before jumping into Alice 2), but the soundtrack has always been one of my all-time favorites.

The new soundtrack isn't anywhere near as good as the original, but honestly, those were some extremely large shoes to fill, and it's still a great soundtrack.

Here are two of my favorite tracks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ChbeVJ1BY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDpUK1PbokY

Can't wait to play the game next month. I kind of expect it to get between a 7-8 on metacritic, but honestly, the only people interested in this game don't give a crap anyway and are gonna buy it no matter what.

you cant plat this game unless you buy it new or buy the 1st one for $10 cuz theres 5 trophies/achievements attached to the 1st game for the plat.

pretty dumb imo. they should have given the 1st game its own plat/cheevo list like dead space 2 did with extraction.

Picked this up with no real expectations (other than some video that I thought looked a bit dated). It's amazing. I'm only on chapter 2, but I'm having a blast.

I don't think those 5 trophies are tied to the plat- they've got that "+" icon on them which usually indicates that they are DLC.

[quote name='nbballard']of the game or the plat?[/QUOTE]

Both. I just didn't enjoy chapter 5 as much as the rest of the game, I guess.

The platinum only took 2 or 3 extra hours to get. Going back to finish the pig snouts and memories was annoying. Particularly the pig snouts because there's no way to know which ones you missed, so you pretty much have to replay the levels to find them. Luckily I only missed pig snouts on chapters 1 and 2.
With the memories, you can look at the list and then an FAQ and know exactly where it is.

Getting this from Gamefly soon. I'm way excited!
Played some last night and holy frick it took me like 3 hours just to get through the first chapter!! I'm liking it alot though. Great atmosphere and style.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChibiJosh']Both. I just didn't enjoy chapter 5 as much as the rest of the game, I guess.

The platinum only took 2 or 3 extra hours to get. Going back to finish the pig snouts and memories was annoying. Particularly the pig snouts because there's no way to know which ones you missed, so you pretty much have to replay the levels to find them. Luckily I only missed pig snouts on chapters 1 and 2.
With the memories, you can look at the list and then an FAQ and know exactly where it is.[/QUOTE]

Did you get all the bottles? I got the platinum trophy, but I still need to get four more bottles. I plan on doing it, but these are definitely the most annoying collectibles to find. With the memories, you could look to see which ones you've already gotten. With the snouts, there's only 59 total, and they create little events that make it easier to remember. Plus, if you have all the bottles and/or the memories in a certain chapter, you then know a few of the snouts you've already gotten.

No, I didn't get all the bottles. After I realized there wasn't a trophy connected to them, I started to not care about them. I still got them if I noticed them, but I didn't go back for any.

Im about to start chapter 5 and I've really liked it so far. The visuals are amazing.

I tried to play the original before jumping into the sequal and after the first few levels I just couldnt do it anymore. The controls were just terrible.

Just finished the game. It started off really promising but then tailed off towards the end. I did enjoy chapter 5 at all. Overall I thought it was a solid game. The visuals were quite impressive.

bread's done
Back