Cheap Ass Gamer E3 2011 Party - Wednesday, 6/8 at Broadway Bar

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[IMG-R=5838]22603[/IMG-R]Join me, Shipwreck and many other thirsty gamers for open bar from 9pm-2am on Wednesday 6/8 at Broadway Bar in Downtown LA. You must be 21+ to attend.

UPDATE: Over 650 people have RSVP'd, so please come early!

iconcag.gif
Map - RSVP on Facebook

Last edited by a moderator:
I am hoping to be there, as I will be at E3 all week. I will just have to make sure I have some kind of method of transportation. Still waiting to find out what hotel I will be staying at..

I will get on a plane and fly there from florida, perfect day too, I should be off from work

hmm I wonder what would be easier, Burbank or LAX airport

[quote name='urallgyots']that place is only 15 minutes from my house lol

Can we get jack in the box after???[/QUOTE]

sure , but I'm gonna head for del taco also

Like others wish I could be there. Just another great thing provided to the community. Thanks Cheapy, Shipwreck and all contributing to this.:D

[quote name='moammo']hmm I wonder what would be easier, Burbank or LAX airport[/QUOTE]

They're about the same distance/time-wise, though Burbank is a smaller and easier airport to navigate. If you need a car rental, LAX will have more options. In the end, I'd recommend the cheaper option.

That's gonna be a long day! E3, then back to NoHo to do some VO with Richard Horvitz 'til at least 10...will swing by afterwards...prolly by 11. Looking forward!

[quote name='sadunk']You guys are gonna want In & Out too. I went last year and had a blast! Count me in too.[/QUOTE]

This. It's one of the few tings I really miss about living in SoCal.

[quote name='binici']I should be able to go. Trying to get my E3 passes, which hopefully won't be a fail...[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you received your badge last week like the rest of us?

[quote name='batman1939']To the guy at the bar that was holding up the line by asking the bartender how much the drinks were last year...I hope you know what an open bar is now.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that actually happen? What a douche.

[quote name='dan13l858']Wow, that actually happen? What a douche.[/QUOTE]

That is nothing. When a dumbass clubster asks, which alcohol is not that strong, then we have problems...

Definitely gonna have a good time at the party, get tore up and then headed to Roscoes for chicken and waffles.

[quote name='zewone']I live downtown. It would be stupid of me not to go. You'll see me there.[/QUOTE]
Bring my Sidekick!

Definitively not missing this year... Live Downtown as well... (L.A. represent!!)

Looking forward to talking shop with you guys....

[quote name='Kylearan']That's gonna be a long day! E3, then back to NoHo to do some VO with Richard Horvitz 'til at least 10...will swing by afterwards...prolly by 11. Looking forward![/QUOTE]

You're in the VO industry? Just wondering, do you still have to pay for your way in to e3?

Yep, I've been a VO actor for 5 years, did a couple games within the past year and hungry for more.

VO aren't generally considered "directly employed" by the industry, not like an artist, producer, director or programmer. Though there may be a way to qualify for this, it'd be difficult to show a check from EA or 2KGames, thereby proving "directly" employed, as EA or 2K sends the check to the agency, and the agency sends a check to me, minus commission. As freelance, I'd say we're really "professionally affiliated", so we'll get hit with the $500 badge fee, but can still attend. (At least, I think so.)

Of course you can always get in for "free" by working at the show, too, which I did once back when I was host of Microsoft's floor presentation for the launch of Xbox Live at E3 2003. Got the job because I knew what a lava gun was in Mech Assault, and their other final casting selection didn't. But if you're working at the show, it's tough to leave your area. And being a host means you can't move one inch, as Itagaki, Molyneux and every other developer is waiting in the wings for the next presentation.

As for this year, I have a friend working some magic, so I skirt the entire issue. I know another VO talent trying to get in, though, but given that the April 25th deadline has passed, he'll get hit with $500 whether qualifying for "directly employed" or "professionally affiliated". If I find out one way or the other, I'll post an update to that effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone recommend a safe, inexpensive place to park other than the Convention Center? That place locks up at midnight, so I can't park there if I'm going to party after the show.

[quote name='Kylearan']Yep, I've been a VO actor for 5 years, did a couple games within the past year and hungry for more.

VO aren't generally considered "directly employed" by the industry, not like an artist, producer, director or programmer. Though there may be a way to qualify for this, it'd be difficult to show a check from EA or 2KGames, thereby proving "directly" employed, as EA or 2K sends the check to the agency, and the agency sends a check to me, minus commission. As freelance, I'd say we're really "professionally affiliated", so we'll get hit with the $500 badge fee, but can still attend. (At least, I think so.)

Of course you can always get in for "free" by working at the show, too, which I did once back when I was host of Microsoft's floor presentation for the launch of Xbox Live at E3 2003. Got the job because I knew what a lava gun was in Mech Assault, and their other final casting selection didn't. But if you're working at the show, it's tough to leave your area. And being a host means you can't move one inch, as Itagaki, Molyneux and every other developer is waiting in the wings for the next presentation.

As for this year, I have a friend working some magic, so I skirt the entire issue. I know another VO talent trying to get in, though, but given that the April 25th deadline has passed, he'll get hit with $500 whether qualifying for "directly employed" or "professionally affiliated". If I find out one way or the other, I'll post an update to that effect.[/QUOTE]

Cool. Been trying to break into voiceover myself.

I going to this for the second time. Last I met some Stuttering Craig from Screwattack and then some ppl gave few drinks thought I work. We ended up wasted & I drove home safely. I'm hoping to meet CheapyD this time around.

[quote name='Toddwrtr']Can anyone recommend a safe, inexpensive place to park other than the Convention Center? That place locks up at midnight, so I can't park there if I'm going to party after the show.[/QUOTE]

There are a ton of lots near the Convention Center, but kinda hard to narrow one down. Just pull in, ask what time they close, and make sure you keep your keys. If you need to move your car after E3, just drive and park near the bar. Street parking available all over the place down there.

[quote name='Toddwrtr']Can anyone recommend a safe, inexpensive place to park other than the Convention Center? That place locks up at midnight, so I can't park there if I'm going to party after the show.[/QUOTE]

Near the Staple center, i believe the parking will close at 2am. As for the location of the party, you can usually find regular parking around the street.

As for myself, i'll be taking the shuttle or taxi cab since i'll be staying at a local hotel in the area.

Well, I received an e-mail today informing me that I won the PS blog contest, and will be a "guest of playstation" at E3. I've been wanting to go since '98 and am taking this chance to fly out to LA and finally go to E3, the Mecca of gamers. Looking forward to the CAG shindig as well, can't wait to see all you guys there!

[quote name='lassiterb']Well, I received an e-mail today informing me that I won the PS blog contest, and will be a "guest of playstation" at E3. I've been wanting to go since '98 and am taking this chance to fly out to LA and finally go to E3, the Mecca of gamers. Looking forward to the CAG shindig as well, can't wait to see all you guys there![/QUOTE]

Congrats

I've never been to E3. This is going to be my first time being in LA during the event. I don't have passes to the event, but if I head out towards the convention center, is there going to be anything going on or give aways or anything worthwhile? Or should I just stay home and watch the conferences from here?

[quote name='zewone']I've never been to E3. This is going to be my first time being in LA during the event. I don't have passes to the event, but if I head out towards the convention center, is there going to be anything going on or give aways or anything worthwhile? Or should I just stay home and watch the conferences from here?[/QUOTE]

There's going to be small giveaways around the area but all the good swag will be inside. I can't wait.

bread's done
Back