Photo
- - - - -

The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

• Please log in to reply
8177 replies to this topic

#7711 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 04:16 AM

I honestly only have a passing interest in either TF: FOC or Sleeping Dogs and most of the rest of the stuff that's come out recently I'd likely wait for a $5-10 price on at BB after @Gamer coupon so at least I own them.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#7712 kanamit

kanamit

AKA george6741

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

I honestly only have a passing interest in either TF: FOC or Sleeping Dogs and most of the rest of the stuff that's come out recently I'd likely wait for a $5-10 price on at BB after @Gamer coupon so at least I own them.

I can't figure out why it's so important for you to own the games because from what I see you usually trade them in anyway. Sure it's nice if you can make a buck or two but in the end most games are rentals if you end up trading them in. One month when I was off work I rented 25 games in 30 days from Blockbuster with the $15 Pass, and yes I finished a majority of them ;). Would I have rather owned a few of them instead of rushing through? Sure, but i couldnt argue with the price and value of it.

#7713 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

At least if I own them then I can go through them on my own time schedule. But you're right, I do trade in a majority of what I buy, but that's largely only if they have actual value left. If they have zero trade value anywhere then I'll keep them.

Posted Image

#7714 YBX87

YBX87

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

At least if I own them then I can go through them on my own time schedule. But you're right, I do trade in a majority of what I buy, but that's largely only if they have actual value left. If they have zero trade value anywhere then I'll keep them.

you should pass on the new transformers fall of cybertron, the sp is short, it is basically a $10 game.

#7715 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

Who says I can't enjoy the games on my own time with the combo pass? I played Dragon's Dogma for a month before I got another game. Besides I just can only have one out a time. Or get a movie if I'm not in a gaming mood.

Also carne asada fries are delicious.

#7716 howard

howard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

I was there on Friday. The sale was nothing great. BD's $9.99 and under were 4 for $20 until a few days ago (and before that they were 5 for $20) which during this sale makes them the exact same price. There were a few I saw marked at $6.99 making them $3.50. Saw 4, Max Payne and the Nicholas Cage Bad Lieutenant remake. Sex & The City: It Won't Die aka The Movie was $6.99 or less, I'm forgetting or wiped it from my mind.

I saw no framed art or posters. I didn't pay attention to the DVD's but while walking through the store did notice a season of Weeds and some other tv shows marked at $15 so $7.50 each may not be too bad.

#7717 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 02 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

you should pass on the new transformers fall of cybertron, the sp is short, it is basically a $10 game.

After getting the first game at launch and hating it because I ran outta ammo frequently I'm likely going to wait till it's at least a $20 game if not less than that.

Who says I can't enjoy the games on my own time with the combo pass? I played Dragon's Dogma for a month before I got another game. Besides I just can only have one out a time. Or get a movie if I'm not in a gaming mood.

Also carne asada fries are delicious.

Eh. I just don't like renting games. Especially since there's so few games I really want to play nowadays.:-#

Posted Image

#7718 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

well, my closest store is now closing. I went and found a few things yesterday on the first day of their closing sale, but they are only clearing things out for 2 weeks. Not much worth going back for.

Looking at the store locator, another relatively local store has disappeared, too. I'm not sure how much longer they can hold on.

#7719 Bosamba

Bosamba

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

Here in the southeastern United States we have a supermarket called Publix. A couple of years ago all the local stores received what best can be described as "Bluebox" units. They were renting machines similar to Redboxes but with the name "Blockbuster Express".

For some reason they decided to put all of these machines inside the stores, so if you wanted to return/rent movies it could only be done during the store's operating hours. They also charged more than Redbox, especially on Blu Rays, and did not carry video games.

I received an email stating that the machine I've been frequenting will be removed permanently in a week. If Blockbuster can't sustain self operating machines, then I think it's time to ring the death toll.

Spoiler

:grouphug:

Wondering which platform to buy the game for? Use Mr. Slimm's Blog http://misterslimm.w...ce-off-results/

Interested in a PC game but not sure if your rig can run it? Go here http://www.systemreq...tslab.com/cyri/

#7720 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Here in the southeastern United States we have a supermarket called Publix. A couple of years ago all the local stores received what best can be described as "Bluebox" units. They were renting machines similar to Redboxes but with the name "Blockbuster Express".

For some reason they decided to put all of these machines inside the stores, so if you wanted to return/rent movies it could only be done during the store's operating hours. They also charged more than Redbox, especially on Blu Rays, and did not carry video games.

I received an email stating that the machine I've been frequenting will be removed permanently in a week. If Blockbuster can't sustain self operating machines, then I think it's time to ring the death toll.

Spoiler

Sounds like you missed out on this news from earlier this year: http://news.cnet.com...buster-express/

#7721 DJP519

DJP519

Ready for a Vacation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Yeah, those "Blockbuster Express" machines aren't owned by Blockbuster/Dish, it was just a licensing deal to use the "Blockbuster" name on them.

#7722 anotherpoorgamer

anotherpoorgamer

Bird's Nest Hair

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:28 PM

Blockbuster video was the Walmart of the movie industry?! I never made the connection until now.

Guess all the mom and pop stores had closed up in my area about 20 years ago. There was only Blockbuster video stores near me, unless you want to count the video rental section of grocery store as a mom and pop store. Those were the closest non-Blockbuster video store that I knew about.

#7723 io

io

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:27 AM

So, Blockbuster (B&M stores that is) found a way to screw me over from the grave.

You remember that big clerarance sale they had 1-2 years back, with controllers and headsets and points cards 90% off? Well, I got one of those PS3 Lava Glow controllers. I finally, just today, opened it up since I've been trading my Dual Shock 3's in to Gamestop ($42 each using the preorder promo which I'm using on a couple of Wii U games I'd buy from them anyway). I thought my 4 year-old could use the Lava Glow instead of the old DS3 that is starting to show its age.

Well, I realized the damn thing was not sealed and while the controller is in there and looks brand new, the receiver (dongle) is missing. Fuck! So now I guess I have a pretty $3 paperweight (it has blue liquid in the handles and such) to give my 2 year-old to pretend to play along with her older brothers ;). The waste of $3 doesn't bother me, but that means I probably can't trade a second DS3 in for $42 at GS since I don't have a replacement for it like I had thought.

In other news, that Blockbuster online thing (the 6 free months glitch) is working out decently enough. I have yet to get a game from it, but I've gotten a few DVDs that Netflix doesn't have so that has been nice. I haven't even bothered with the store exchange option and I don't even know if the last few remaining stores in my metro area are even open any more. I haven't been to a BBV in 6 months or more.

Sorry to anyone who read this thread thinking maybe there was some BBV game sale news. Please go back to ignoring Blockbuster!

#7724 slppedyoursster

slppedyoursster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:29 AM

In other news, that Blockbuster online thing (the 6 free months glitch) is working out decently enough. I have yet to get a game from it, but I've gotten a few DVDs that Netflix doesn't have so that has been nice. I haven't even bothered with the store exchange option and I don't even know if the last few remaining stores in my metro area are even open any more. I haven't been to a BBV in 6 months or more.

Sorry to anyone who read this thread thinking maybe there was some BBV game sale news. Please go back to ignoring Blockbuster!

I have a copy of Bayonetta from the glitch...been playing it for over a month. Cheapest rental ever!!! I don't know if I ever will get another game thru the mail from them because of the lack of availability but even if it is only this one game...YOU CAN'T BEAT FREE!

#7725 Brash_Attack

Brash_Attack

Emperor Banana

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:30 AM

I've managed to get a copy of Captain America: Super Soldier and Bodycount out of them. Nothing for the last month, though.

#7726 Gertle627

Gertle627

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

io, I will admit you got my hopes up.

But on the subject of the free 6 months of rentals, can we exchange for games in store? I looked online & it only seems to say you can exchange movies in store. It wouldn't be a whole lot different for me, as I've only gotten 2 games in so far. Annnnd now good games, that I actually want to buy, are starting to come out. But still, it would be nice.

#7727 Kromis

Kromis

Für das Vaterland!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

io, I will admit you got my hopes up.

But on the subject of the free 6 months of rentals, can we exchange for games in store? I looked online & it only seems to say you can exchange movies in store. It wouldn't be a whole lot different for me, as I've only gotten 2 games in so far. Annnnd now good games, that I actually want to buy, are starting to come out. But still, it would be nice.

You can only exchange for games that are 99 cent rentals

#7728 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:05 AM

RIP blockbuster. My last local store closed today. There were actually games left at 50% off, which surprised me, I got KH Re:coded for $2.50. My wife found a few movies, but there was really not much left.

#7729 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

yeah, the one down the street from me just put up a now closing sign and will close at the end of October.

Ill be there few days before!

#7730 yourlefthand

yourlefthand

Daddy Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:38 PM

yeah, the one down the street from me just put up a now closing sign and will close at the end of October.

Ill be there few days before!

it's worth checking fairly soon just to see what they have - there were some games that were not a horrendous deal even when they were 20% off. There may be some out of print DVDs that are worth picking up as well.

#7731 Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I actually did check it out the day I found out "about 2 weeks ago" only thing I got was Alice Madness Returns ps3 for $12 and some change.

#7732 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

All the closed blockbusters in my area have become Halloween costume shops.

#7733 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:51 PM

50% off previously viewed movies from 9/25-10/1

Although if the sale started 2 days ago why am I getting the e-mail now?

#7734 slppedyoursster

slppedyoursster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

50% off previously viewed movies from 9/25-10/1

Although if the sale started 2 days ago why am I getting the e-mail now?

Because DISH is a well-oiled machine :roll:

Anyway, with the free 6 month trial thing...I have been able to get Bayonetta, beat it, and then returned in-store. I wanted to make sure those bastards did not say they never received it. Anyway, Dragon Age (the first one) is supposedly on its way. I went ahead and put over 50 Xbox 360 games in my queue. Of those, 3 are available for shipment. HAHA! So glad I am not paying for this turd.

#7735 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:35 PM

So, Blockbuster (B&M stores that is) found a way to screw me over from the grave.

You remember that big clerarance sale they had 1-2 years back, with controllers and headsets and points cards 90% off? Well, I got one of those PS3 Lava Glow controllers. I finally, just today, opened it up since I've been trading my Dual Shock 3's in to Gamestop ($42 each using the preorder promo which I'm using on a couple of Wii U games I'd buy from them anyway). I thought my 4 year-old could use the Lava Glow instead of the old DS3 that is starting to show its age.

Well, I realized the damn thing was not sealed and while the controller is in there and looks brand new, the receiver (dongle) is missing. Fuck! So now I guess I have a pretty $3 paperweight (it has blue liquid in the handles and such) to give my 2 year-old to pretend to play along with her older brothers ;). The waste of $3 doesn't bother me, but that means I probably can't trade a second DS3 in for $42 at GS since I don't have a replacement for it like I had thought.

:lol:That sounds like those frickin' Rocketfish controllers I bought from BB a few years back for $10 each. As it turns out, at least fifty percent of them were defective either almost immediately or after some usage. Unfortunately one of the defective ones turned out to be one I sent to a fellow CAG that I believe they said they used for a lil bit before it started acting up.:-# The other one being the one I was using as a beater controller for games like God Of War III and GTA IV, which started having a wonky R2 button(controller kept thinking it was being pressed when I wasn't even touching the damn button).

That makes me wonder about those damn PSP Go's I have now, since that's another $100 sitting here collecting dust that I should really somehow test to assure they work before the warranty(if any is left) is gone from Sony. But they're worth so much more sealed/new versus used.:booty:;)

Anyway, back to ignoring Blockbuster even still exists.:D

Posted Image

#7736 MoneyMan

MoneyMan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:32 AM

I traded in mass effect 3 360 today at a blockbuster gamerush that is still open near to me. It traded in for $22.

#7737 TheHelix

TheHelix

Posted 05 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Oh hey
http://venturebeat.c...-plans-on-hold/

#7738 howard

howard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:14 PM

Blockbuster is a Blockbuster killer. And I guess

Dish no longer has plans to use Blockbuster as a nationwide video streaming or DVD-by-mail service, Ergen said.

means Blockbuster Online is going to finally be put out of it's misery.

#7739 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:35 PM

So what this means is essentially we'll see more and more store closings until Dish has done what Blockbuster themselves would've likely done a year ago already with the condition they were in(i.e. shuttering the entire chain ala Hollywood Video:-#).

Posted Image

#7740 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Dish screwed up so bad buying Blockbuster. They should've just let it die right next to Circuit City and Linens N Things.