The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='atc250es']I thought I saw someone say that ssb brawl and Mario kart were 14.99 also, can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

If you can find them that is. You might luck out and they get converted from rentals, otherwise, werent they that price for quite a while now?

Awesome work guys.

Went by the Columbia MD store - and they had nothing good out. A UCF game, a Wii WWE game, and a marvel heroes game for the Wii. Barf. Maybe they will put the good stuff out tomorrow...

Hawaiiboy, can you tell me if Splatterhouse or Enslaved qualify? Seems like they would be at $15 by now, but can't really tell.

Enslaved is $14.99 on :360: only. :ps3: version is $24.99 or $19.99. I'll check on splatterhouse tomorrow but I don't think it qualifys.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Enslaved is $14.99 on :360: only. :ps3: version is $24.99 or $19.99. I'll check on splatterhouse tomorrow but I don't think it qualifys.[/QUOTE]

Mahalo HB!
Thanks for keeping the thread up to date!

getting in again. I really really hope the poeple looking for the Mario games can find them. If you can at this point, this B1G1 will be a huge success.

I am using the same rule I always use with these sales: Games I want to play first, games my nephew will think are awesome and than games that are worth flipping only if I need something to pair with another game or if they are still sitting around by Thursday.

Actually tempted to pick up Enslaved again, I loved that game and for $7.50 it'd be worth having a copy in my library.

I'm a little disturbed how excited I am for tomorrow.

Subscribing for now. The two nearest me are kind of far apart and not actually "near" me, so I'm not sure if the deal is good enough for me to bother. How's everybody's experience in the quality of BBV's used games? I remember they seemed to take anything and everything as far as things with or without cases, scratched discs, etc. Maybe I should try to find trade fodder, but is there anything worth noting as far as good trades to Best Buy, Amazon, or GameStop go? I'm not seeing anything in my quick skim.

[quote name='BudzMcGee']I am using the same rule I always use with these sales: Games I want to play first, games my nephew will think are awesome and than games that are worth flipping only if I need something to pair with another game or if they are still sitting around by Thursday.

Actually tempted to pick up Enslaved again, I loved that game and for $7.50 it'd be worth having a copy in my library.

I'm a little disturbed how excited I am for tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Lol, im waking up early tommorow for this sale. I rarely ever wake up early (Outside of classes and work)

From what i saw today, looks like most of the stuff im buying is going to be for my collection. Still like 3 other stores i didnt check today though.

Nice to see another B1G1 Blockbuster sale. Not so nice to check the Store Locator, finding about half the number of stores I visited in the last sale.

Stuff like this is why I need to stay away from here when I don't have Video Game money in my budget. x_X And here I went and spent $75 on 5 games over the weekend...

I remember picking up quite a bit of games from a BBV that was closing 3 months ago, but they were only on sale for 10% off the usual used game price (though they were selling titles generally only available for rental). I wish I was able to return and rebuy during this sale, they were all under $15.

[quote name='dgwillia006']Lol, im waking up early tommorow for this sale. I rarely ever wake up early (Outside of classes and work)

From what i saw today, looks like most of the stuff im buying is going to be for my collection. Still like 3 other stores i didnt check today though.[/QUOTE]

I'm a little saddened that I have the first day of training at my new job at 9am and I don't know when I'll be getting done. It's definitely not full day and may be over as early as 11, but I'll be thinking "B1G1" in my head the entire time. :lol: Flip side though of course is that I can really go nuts and buy whatever I want now that I have a new job.

I also almost feel kinda bad that like none of the BBVs near me have closed in the last six months seeing what everyone else has posted. Have at least 4 within 20 minutes of the house, and I'll be using the GPS to check out any I don't know about from work to the house tomorrow too.

My best friend works at a BB/GR, and says they didn't receive any new shipments nor are they converting anything. Hit the only other store within 20 miles of me, and they didn't have anything, either.

Happy for all you!! But I think it's gonna be a bust for me :whistle2:(

stopped into a local BB tonight to see if they had put out any new games and the employee was pricing about 50-75 games and he let me look through them...a good 90% of them were newer games or $20 and higher, guess I'll have to check another BB in the area tomorrow.

I went to both my Blockbusters to see what games they had for tomorrow's sale and the only things I saw worth mentioning were TV Superstars for PS3 for $9.99 and Transformers War For Cybertron for 360 was $14.99. I think the transformers game was just price tagged wrong though.

so i take it Blockbuster lowers prices of the current used games for this sale? also can someone tell me if this is valid at all BBV stores?

I have one by my job and another 2 around my house, so i have some hope of getting some good games

[quote name='atc250es']I thought I saw someone say that ssb brawl and Mario kart were 14.99 also, can anyone confirm?[/QUOTE]

Yep called in my local BBV and they confirmed that both are eligible for BOGO. Got em reserved :)

Nice, I can't wait.

I'm trying to price some stuff for flipping...anyone want to brainstorm with me, send me a PM. I've only got a few things so far, but they're pretty good.

If anyone has a list of games worth getting, pm me, but all I see is the same games as last time ... and none of 'em are worth a damn. I'll pick up some games for a kid I work worth ... maybe I'll get Alan Wake to play the dlc ... other than that, I don't see much. You know damn well there will be no Mario games.

Hawaiiboy, is Megamind $14.99 for XBOX 360 also? Is it only $14.99 for Wii as listed in the OP.

I loved the movie, and it looks like a mediocre game with easy achievements. I'd seek it out for $7.50 though :p

[quote name='ploppsdman']If anyone has a list of games worth getting, pm me, but all I see is the same games as last time ... and none of 'em are worth a damn. I'll pick up some games for a kid I work worth ... maybe I'll get Alan Wake to play the dlc ... other than that, I don't see much. You know damn well there will be no Mario games.[/QUOTE]

thats not true, went into one today and had two super Mario galaxies. altough u can't reserve which sucks. called 8 others, none had SSBB or Super mario galaxy.

Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 is $6.99 used at my local Blockbuster if someone wants to add it to the list of available games.

The Blockbuster in Vacaville, CA (located relatively central in-between Sacramento and San Francisco) has a bunch of used games for sale. I had the employees put 8 games on hold for me to buy at store opening tomorrow. There were probably at least 60 PS3 games, over 80 X360 games, and more than 100 Wii games available in the $14.99 price and under range.

[quote name='theMADster']Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 is $6.99 used at my local Blockbuster if someone wants to add it to the list of available games.

The Blockbuster in Vacaville, CA (located relatively central in-between Sacramento and San Francisco) has a bunch of used games for sale. I had the employees put 8 games on hold for me to buy at store opening tomorrow. There were probably at least 60 PS3 games, over 80 X360 games, and more than 100 Wii games available in the $14.99 price and under range.[/QUOTE]

200+ games? Darn, I am green with jealous rage!

[quote name='theMADster']Valkyria Chronicles on the PS3 is $6.99 used at my local Blockbuster if someone wants to add it to the list of available games.

The Blockbuster in Vacaville, CA (located relatively central in-between Sacramento and San Francisco) has a bunch of used games for sale. I had the employees put 8 games on hold for me to buy at store opening tomorrow. There were probably at least 60 PS3 games, over 80 X360 games, and more than 100 Wii games available in the $14.99 price and under range.[/QUOTE]

I was there around 1 and the guy was setting up all the prices. I also ask the lady to hold 2 games for me and I hope it will be there for me tomorrow.

[quote name='mattcube64']200+ games? Darn, I am green with jealous rage![/QUOTE]

Ours had maybe 100, with 50 of them probably being Fallout: NV. They had it all set up today, around 10am, but nothing "great" just seemed to be mostly the cheaper stuff, like Xbox Unplugged Arcade, some Lego titles, and the recent price drops (but not tagged). Not much re: blu-rays, either, so probably just this area. Gonna check the other BB in the am, though.

Quite a few reasonably priced games I'd add to my backlog (which still has Bayonetta, Darksiders from the last BOGO)

[quote name='henry00x']so i take it Blockbuster lowers prices of the current used games for this sale? also can someone tell me if this is valid at all BBV stores?

I have one by my job and another 2 around my house, so i have some hope of getting some good games[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. Sometimes they lower prices before or even during a B1G1 sale, but it's not a given.

If I remember correctly, there are two types of BBV stores. Corporate owned locations will honor sales like this. Individually owned locations can choose to ignore these promotions. We have both kinds in my area. The nearest individually owned store usually has their own type of sale at the same time, to keep things interesting.

alittle off topic but i grabbed a total of 15 blu rays and probably will go back tomrrow to pick up a few more, kinda sad when blockbuster doesnt have anymore shopping bags to give out lol, ended up getting recycle trash bags lol also i pickedup 2 ponyo sets and was wondering why people were going crazy for this title?

I think I can finally pass on one of these...looks like all the games are ones I've either bought at previous BB sales and played and sold or just a bunch of garbage. I'm seriously done buying subpar games just because they're cheap. Good luck to everyone, including the flippers.

[quote name='medetron']alittle off topic but i grabbed a total of 15 blu rays and probably will go back tomrrow to pick up a few more, kinda sad when blockbuster doesnt have anymore shopping bags to give out lol, ended up getting recycle trash bags lol also i pickedup 2 ponyo sets and was wondering why people were going crazy for this title?[/QUOTE]

Both my wife and I thought it was one of the dumbest movies we've ever seen...and we couldn't get either of our 2 kids to sit through more than 10 minutes of it.

It's really a crappy movie.

ugh, I didn't see ANY new games that were $14.99 or less since the last B1G1 sale. everything I want is hovering at the $19.99 price range (Force Unleashed 2 etc)

I've scouted out the two remaining Blockbusters in my area. I think I'm going to be spending a lot of money tomorrow.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Hawaiiboy, is Megamind $14.99 for XBOX 360 also? Is it only $14.99 for Wii as listed in the OP.

I loved the movie, and it looks like a mediocre game with easy achievements. I'd seek it out for $7.50 though :p[/QUOTE]

I've played Megamind and it's not worth the 7.50 you would pay for pairing another 14.99 game with. I platinumed the game in 3 hours, so if you find a Redbox near you that carries the 360 version, rent it and get your easy gamerscore, or just wait for it to reach 5 bucks. I heard the Wii version is different though, but I mainly play games on PS3.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Both my wife and I thought it was one of the dumbest movies we've ever seen...and we couldn't get either of our 2 kids to sit through more than 10 minutes of it.

It's really a crappy movie.[/QUOTE]

I gotta disagree with this. My baby sister who's now 4 has watched Ponyo more than any other movie we own, easily her favorite. I personally think it's better than most of the kids movies coming out these days too so don't mind watching it with her, maybe not for everyone but we enjoy it.

Planing on picking up for PS3: Grid, MotorStorm: Pacific Rift, F.E.A.R. 2, and I'm still not certain about the fourth one... hopefully store that I'm going to tomorrow will at least have two of these.

bread's done
Back