Okami (PS2) - $10.99 at Amazon

[quote name='Tsukinikawatte']I wonder if it's GH or not. I have it on wii, but i liked it alot.[/QUOTE]

Okami is in Greatest Hits, and it's sold by Amazon (so newer stock), so, yes, expect a big red label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(budget_range)

[quote name='Vegan']Better than the Wii version (though you wouldn't think so at first).[/QUOTE]

That's the eternal debate; I don't have an opinion. :D

PS2: More "water colored" look, use buttons for attacking instead of Wiimote waggle.
Wii: More saturated/brighter colors, 16x9/480p video, Wiimote painting (good idea, but buggy), all cutscenes skippable.

I was thinking not even an hour ago "I need to play through my copy of Okami". Creepy. :D

[quote name='Vegan']Good deal. Better than the Wii version (though you wouldn't think so at first).[/QUOTE]

That's the eternal debate; I don't have an opinion.. :D

PS2: More "water colored" look, use buttons for attacking instead of Wiimote waggle.
Wii: More saturated/brighter colors, 16x9/480p video, Wiimote painting (good idea, but buggy), all cutscenes skippable.

Paid full price for the PS2 version of this amazing game, and don't regret a penny of it--I had 40+ hours into it by the time I was done, and I was sad when it was over. So pathetic that so many gamers have never touched this one, despite the fact that it's in the same genre as Zelda, but better.

Oh, and to throw my two cents in on the PS2 vs. Wii version mini debate: yes, the Wii port looks slightly better and has 480p support, but the paint-brush mechanic feels and works much better on the PS2's analog stick, and that alone is worth the slightly inferior visuals.

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again: Gamers don't let other gamers miss out on Okami. Get it.

R.I.P. Clover Studios, you'll go down as one of the best Japanese developers ever.

I'm still hoping they release an HD version for the PS3/360. I know Capcom said they wouldn't rule it out and it depended on the success of okamiden.

[quote name='emperordahc']Okami is in Greatest Hits, and it's sold by Amazon (so newer stock), so, yes, expect a big red label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(budget_range)

That's the eternal debate; I don't have an opinion. :D

I was thinking not even an hour ago "I need to play through my copy of Okami". Creepy. :D[/QUOTE]

is the wii version TRUE 16:9? I know a lot of ps2 games that claim to be 16:9 really just crop the image. Is the wii 16:9 actually 16:9 or just cropped junk?

i loved this game btw, and did buy the wii version too, but havent opened it. If the attacks really are wiimote waggle controlled then that really sucks =( i hate that junk

Thanks so much OP! Seriously right in time. Ordered this yesterday for around 20. Was in shipping soon phase. Was able to get onto live chat right now and get a price adjustment.

Just traded in my Wii version last week for 10 bucks to trade for this and now I essentially made the trade for 99 cents. =]

Capcom needs to release this game on XBL and PS3. Let us skip movies, update game for HD resolution TVs, and add in optional PS Move and Kinect support :lol:

[quote name='Kenshindono']is the wii version TRUE 16:9? I know a lot of ps2 games that claim to be 16:9 really just crop the image. Is the wii 16:9 actually 16:9 or just cropped junk?

i loved this game btw, and did buy the wii version too, but havent opened it. If the attacks really are wiimote waggle controlled then that really sucks =( i hate that junk[/QUOTE]

The one i had does 16:9 in options, but then depending on the tv or computer monitor you have to change that. Like on my computer monitor i had it hooked up with component cables and had to do fit to screen.

[quote name='Tsukinikawatte']I wonder if it's GH or not. I have it on wii, but i liked it alot.[/QUOTE]

It is almost a near certainty that it will be a greatest hits version....I bought it from amazon about month ago when it was around $15 and I got a greatest hits version.

I played the Wii version last year and loved it. Ended up being my second favorite game of last year.

Wii controls are a better fit for the painting mechanic, but it can be quite finicky. Jerking the navigation controller around to roll is near useless too. Luckily, it isn't really necessary for this game.

The Wii version is vibrant and beautiful in all it's 16:9 480p glory. The controls can be finicky at times, but I'd say the world and story presented is more suited for the vibrant color on the Wii vs. the washed out look of the original.

That being said, it's Okami, you can't go wrong with either version.

BTW, I read through a bunch of the lower reviews on Amazon and I have to say... :lol: People are stupid.

wish i had a ps2, or the wii version would go to $10. never got to complete it cuz i sold my ps2. haven't bought it again cuz i was 40+ hours into it & don't want to replay all that (i play games at a snails pace, so probably half way through it).

great find, OP.

[quote name='Kenshindono']is the wii version TRUE 16:9? I know a lot of ps2 games that claim to be 16:9 really just crop the image. Is the wii 16:9 actually 16:9 or just cropped junk?[/QUOTE]

No Wii game is true 16:9 because no Wii outputs a 16:9 signal. It expands the visibility, yes, but it's outputting a smooshed 4:3 signal and relying on you to use your TV's "Stretch Mode" to fill the screen. It's a shame, because you don't gain any resolution, it actually creates an even blurrier image (which was already blurry, being 480p).

I'm playing it on Wii right now. This game is steadily racing into my top 10 of all time. Everything about it is simply "fantastic".

I loved this game when it first came out. Clover team did great work with this title and viewtiful Joe. Now they are called platinum games and still not getting the recognition sales wise they deserve.

At least Viewtiful Joe and Okami got love in MvC3! : D Maybe some of the more mainstream gamers will pick up either series now.

Also, I have the PS2 version and I love it, really hate the sound of the forced Wiimote waggle (though you would think paintbrushing would be more suited to the Wiimote, it's a shame this can't use the Motion+), so I would recommend the PS2 version until it comes out on PSN/XBLA (which'll make it look prettier like the Wii version with the addition of PSMove support?!?!?!?).

I can't even imagine this game working with Kinect, rofl.

I remember playing this game and about a few hours in realizing
the whole story was all for nothing and you had to basically start from scratch
the anger that ensued...omg. honestly the game looks beautiful and is an amazing concept, but in actuality, playing it. tedious and annoying.

I'm a huge Wii fanboy, but I would recomend the PS2 version. The IR controls work great for the painting sequences, but the combat takes a severe blow, playing with the sword was near impossible for me so I had to use the beads for the entire game. I like motion controls, but I think they did a poor job at implementing them in this game, the Wii version felt like a rushed port. This would have worked perfect for the Wii's control scheme, but the motion controls are too loose, get the PS2 version.

Okami is sooooo slooooooooow....

I don't know how so many people just BEAM about this slooooow game. Every time I pop it in, I swear it's a struggle to care.

1) It's a wolf lead, and I think that really hurt sales. Not sure people are clamoring for wolf-sims...
2) It's steeped with Japanese folklore. STEEPED. I hear a ton of people b*tch about JRPGs, but somehow Okami gets away with ancient Japanese folklore? I don't get it. If you're not into the culture, you'll be scratching your head.

That's my take. I still plan on finishing it... but at 30+ hours, it feels like a chore game to me.

So to counteract all this "EVERY GAMER MUST PLAY IT NOOOOOW!!!!!" bullsh*t, I would like to say that the game is completely over-hyped, so don't be a game snob about it. YMMV on this game.

Don't be such an ass, seriously. It sold like shit, both times, let people hype this game that hardly ANYONE touched. It's different when people do that about CoD. Everyone and their freaking family has played call of duty, they know if they like it or not, however okami remains a badly selling but extremely critically/user praised game. I can't see how you would even want to finish it with a crap attitude like that. Stop playing it and maybe you might sound happy.

[quote name='KornKid91']I'm a huge Wii fanboy, but I would recomend the PS2 version. The IR controls work great for the painting sequences, but the combat takes a severe blow, playing with the sword was near impossible for me so I had to use the beads for the entire game. I like motion controls, but I think they did a poor job at implementing them in this game, the Wii version felt like a rushed port. This would have worked perfect for the Wii's control scheme, but the motion controls are too loose, get the PS2 version.[/QUOTE]

It's a shame M+ compatibility wasn't implemented until much later, but I can see how they wanted to rush this while the popularity was still there (Capcom :/). Wonder if it'll get a Project Cafe port? Lol. But seriously, it's annoying how they can't just patch some of these games to support M+.

Also, regarding argument above:

1) ..It's not a wolf-sim, if you're implying people who like this game are furries. You could easily substitute the wolf for any animal, or even a person and the story could be re-worked easily.
2) Generally people who

The ps2 version had a better look than the wii given how capcom treated the origional developers they were not overly willing to help. The thing that stuck out to me was how bad the paper background effect looked on the wii compared to the ps2

As much as I loved Okami on Wii and would like the "original" copy, I'm hoping that they come out with a port to ps3 with widescreen and Move compatibility. I don't have much reason to bust out the ps2 nowadays.

[quote name='Antipodes']As much as I loved Okami on Wii and would like the "original" copy, I'm hoping that they come out with a port to ps3 with widescreen and Move compatibility. I don't have much reason to bust out the ps2 nowadays.[/QUOTE]

More and more Wii titles (even exclusives) ARE getting Move support. This might not be a ridiculous thing to hold out for if you've played it in one format already.

[quote name='BobbyTastic']
1) ..It's not a wolf-sim, if you're implying people who like this game are furries.[/QUOTE]

:lol:

You so had my LOL at this moment.

I did like Okami (PS2), but passed on it when it came out on the Wii only because I don't play on that console anymore.

bread's done
Back