• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Magikarp830

Magikarp830

SPLASH had no effect

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 07:49 PM

Okami is sooooo slooooooooow....

I don't know how so many people just BEAM about this slooooow game. Every time I pop it in, I swear it's a struggle to care.

1) It's a wolf lead, and I think that really hurt sales. Not sure people are clamoring for wolf-sims...
2) It's steeped with Japanese folklore. STEEPED. I hear a ton of people b*tch about JRPGs, but somehow Okami gets away with ancient Japanese folklore? I don't get it. If you're not into the culture, you'll be scratching your head.

That's my take. I still plan on finishing it... but at 30+ hours, it feels like a chore game to me.

So to counteract all this "EVERY GAMER MUST PLAY IT NOOOOOW!!!!!" bullsh*t, I would like to say that the game is completely over-hyped, so don't be a game snob about it. YMMV on this game.

#32 Vortextk

Vortextk

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

Don't be such an ass, seriously. It sold like shit, both times, let people hype this game that hardly ANYONE touched. It's different when people do that about CoD. Everyone and their freaking family has played call of duty, they know if they like it or not, however okami remains a badly selling but extremely critically/user praised game. I can't see how you would even want to finish it with a crap attitude like that. Stop playing it and maybe you might sound happy.

#33 BobbyTastic

BobbyTastic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'm a huge Wii fanboy, but I would recomend the PS2 version. The IR controls work great for the painting sequences, but the combat takes a severe blow, playing with the sword was near impossible for me so I had to use the beads for the entire game. I like motion controls, but I think they did a poor job at implementing them in this game, the Wii version felt like a rushed port. This would have worked perfect for the Wii's control scheme, but the motion controls are too loose, get the PS2 version.

It's a shame M+ compatibility wasn't implemented until much later, but I can see how they wanted to rush this while the popularity was still there (Capcom :/). Wonder if it'll get a Project Cafe port? Lol. But seriously, it's annoying how they can't just patch some of these games to support M+.

Also, regarding argument above:

1) ..It's not a wolf-sim, if you're implying people who like this game are furries. You could easily substitute the wolf for any animal, or even a person and the story could be re-worked easily.
2) Generally people who <3 Okami, don't bitch about JRPGs, unless you mean FFXIII + FFXIV, lol. But JRPGs have their flaws too, and I don't see how that argument influences anything, people don't usually complain about JRPGs being steeped in folklore, they complain about their genericness/re-hashing of the same shit.

Also, I didn't see anyone in this thread (myself included) who forced this game down anyone's throat/said EVERY GAMER MUST PLAY NAO. All I saw were a bunch of people who picked it up because they had always meant to, and the price was worth it to them.

I mostly agree with Vortextk, aside from that I think the hate on CoD is a tad over-hyped itself (I'm by no means a fan, but most of my hate is directed towards Activision and their practices/prices, the yearly release they insist upon, the fanboys/girls, and how most of the stuff IS rehashed). The game itself is okay.

#34 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:17 PM

The ps2 version had a better look than the wii given how capcom treated the origional developers they were not overly willing to help. The thing that stuck out to me was how bad the paper background effect looked on the wii compared to the ps2

#35 Antipodes

Antipodes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

As much as I loved Okami on Wii and would like the "original" copy, I'm hoping that they come out with a port to ps3 with widescreen and Move compatibility. I don't have much reason to bust out the ps2 nowadays.

#36 BobbyTastic

BobbyTastic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 May 2011 - 11:31 PM

As much as I loved Okami on Wii and would like the "original" copy, I'm hoping that they come out with a port to ps3 with widescreen and Move compatibility. I don't have much reason to bust out the ps2 nowadays.

More and more Wii titles (even exclusives) ARE getting Move support. This might not be a ridiculous thing to hold out for if you've played it in one format already.

#37 Gregalor

Gregalor

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 May 2011 - 07:59 AM

If they did a PS3 port of Okami, they would just Fuck it up again.