Upgrading to PS3 Slim from Fat

zenithyoda

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Hey

I currently have a PS3 fat with a 500GB hard drive. I want to upgrade to the PS3 slim for space and aesthetic reasons.

However, my big concern is this:

Can I just switch out my 500GB hard drive from my PS3 Fat to PS3 slim and it would work just fine? Or even if I back it up onto an external drive, will I keep all my accounts with my new PS3 slim?

I know backing up when upgrading a hard drive in the same ps3 works just fine, but does it make a difference going from one PS3 to another? I dont really wanna deactivate and then reactivate all my accounts obviously.

Thanks,

A friend of mine had his fat die on him and attempted to just swap hdd to a slim. This does not work apparently.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You can't just swap in the HDD, but the PS3 has a Data transfer utility feature that allows you to transfer everything from one PS3 to another with an Ethernet cable. It's a pretty easy (albeit, lengthy) process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwVcZhWn8Ik&feature=related[/QUOTE]

See above. BUT this only works if the new PS3's Hd has enough space to receive the old PS3's HD data. Since you're using a 500Gb you'll need to a) upgrade the new PS3 before transferring the data or b) delete enough stuff from the fat PS3 so that the data can fit on the new one

Also DISCLAIMER!

I data transfered a few months ago and there are some things it won't transfer over, like your install base's for games (no biggie), and some DRM protected save files - I lost my Heavy Rain saves. It'll also reformat your old PS3 before transferring data to the new one, so make sure you back that shit up.

In the end you'll likely be disappointed with the whole thing. If you're like me you'll love the fact that the new PS3 slim is quieter, but at the same time hate that you only have 2 USB ports to work with. Oh, and no B/C obviously, well atleast not with PS2 titles.

The trick is to do get the new PS3 before the old one dies. That way if you want to use the old one to play some PS2 games, then you'll still have it. My PS3 (Fat) sounds like a Jet... so its probably time for me to get a new one. I don't normally use the usb ports on the system so its not a big deal for me. I am going to miss the card slots though.

Not trying to take this thread off topic but I have an old school 60GB PS3 and I want to transfer all of my stuff (data) to a new HDD, what would be the best/easiest way of doing this, can I just hook up my new HDD to a hard drive enclosure and copy the old data and then stick it in the PS3? Is that even possible? (If someone doesn't mind pointing me in the right direction...)

[quote name='iHack']Not trying to take this thread off topic but I have an old school 60GB PS3 and I want to transfer all of my stuff (data) to a new HDD, what would be the best/easiest way of doing this, can I just hook up my new HDD to a hard drive enclosure and copy the old data and then stick it in the PS3? Is that even possible? (If someone doesn't mind pointing me in the right direction...)[/QUOTE]

I think you'd have to first transfer everything to an external (fat32) drive using the backup utility. Then put swap out your existing HDD, out in the new one, then connect the external drive and use the backup utility again to restore your content. I'm not sure if there's an easier way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNSytaL9hnI&NR=1

[quote name='zenithyoda']Does this trasnfer gameshare account activation as well? This is a big deal for me[/QUOTE]

I just upgraded my 60 GB HDD to a 320 GB HDD last weekend. The hardest part was formating the external backup HDD as FAT32. The backup took about an hour and the restore about the same. Swapping HDD was very easy.

Yes, gameshares are transferred via backup/restore method.

EDIT - sorry I thought you were asking about backup/restore option, not the data transfer method. Sorry I have no experience with that.

Hmmm.... I really am starting to worry about my fat PS3, as even after I clean it is still super loud. I dont wanna lose everything, so I might just bite the bullet and upgrade and hope it keeps everything.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I just upgraded my 60 GB HDD to a 320 GB HDD last weekend. The hardest part was formating the external backup HDD as FAT32. The backup took about an hour and the restore about the same. Swapping HDD was very easy.

Yes, gameshares are transferred via backup/restore method.

EDIT - sorry I thought you were asking about backup/restore option, not the data transfer method. Sorry I have no experience with that.[/QUOTE]

I am seriously thinking about upgrading my 60 gig as well. How do you format the external backup drive to FAT32? Sorry i am kinda dumb when it comes to shit like this.

[quote name='Spyder187']I am seriously thinking about upgrading my 60 gig as well. How do you format the external backup drive to FAT32? Sorry i am kinda dumb when it comes to shit like this.[/QUOTE]

There's a program called SwissKnife that should be able to do it. Just connect the drive to your computer, load up the program, choose the fat32 option when formatting and it should work

here's a tutorial: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

Just for informational purposes, if you were ever to fix the broken PS3, do NOT replace the Blu-ray drive, it won’t ever work again. The Blu-ray drive is synced to the PS3s motherboard, and you can’t sync a new drive. In order to get the Blu-ray drive to work again, you can only change the laser and/or moving parts, not the drive itself.
When you use the Data Transfer Utility, everything from one PS3 to the other PS3 transfers, EVERYTHING. It duplicates the PS3, so when you get on the new PS3, it would be the EXACT SAME as getting on the old PS3.
Answers:
1. What gets transferred? Everything. You won’t notice the difference between the old PS3 or new PS3.
2. Everything gets transferred over, nothing has to be redownloaded.
3. All accounts get transferred over. The PS3 has a maximum of 16 User accounts available. If you have 16 User accounts, all 16 User accounts will be transferred.
Just so you are aware, when you are Game Sharing, you do NOT need to know what the person’s email or password is to access their content, you only need to have their account on your PS3. If they change their email and password on their account, it doesn’t effect the shared game content you are illegally using (read the ToS if you don’t believe you are illegally using it), as long as the account the content belongs to is on the PS3. Delete the account, the content becomes inaccessible until the account is put back on the PS3 (then you would need to know the email and password).
Use the Data Transfer Utility, and you will be able to use the new PS3 as if it was the old PS3, you will never know the difference as to which PS3 you are using.

I will buy my new ps3 and report back what happens.

Everything was transfarerd. However, I have to deactivate everything on my old ps3, and reactivate it on my new PS3.

Annoying, but doable.

[quote name='VetraX']Also DISCLAIMER!

I data transfered a few months ago and there are some things it won't transfer over, like your install base's for games (no biggie), and some DRM protected save files - I lost my Heavy Rain saves. It'll also reformat your old PS3 before transferring data to the new one, so make sure you back that shit up.

In the end you'll likely be disappointed with the whole thing. If you're like me you'll love the fact that the new PS3 slim is quieter, but at the same time hate that you only have 2 USB ports to work with. Oh, and no B/C obviously, well atleast not with PS2 titles.[/QUOTE]

Just went through the exact same thing last night. 500gb on my Fat (bluray drive broke), backed up everything to an external drive, swapped hard drives with my new Slim, restored from backup.. no Heavy Rain saves transferred. GREAT. I haven't done a real exhaustive look through to see what else didn't make it over, but at a quick glance looks like nearly everything else came over.

I feel dumb for not throwing the more important saves into my PS+ Cloud Storage.. so if you have that option, put your important saved games in there to be safe before you do anything.

Speaking of which, anyone wanna buy a backward compatible fat (80gb mgs4 bundle model) with a shiny new 160gb hard drive and a broken disc drive? everything else still works!

[quote name='ssjmichael']There's a program called SwissKnife that should be able to do it. Just connect the drive to your computer, load up the program, choose the fat32 option when formatting and it should work

here's a tutorial: http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/[/QUOTE]

The hard drive I was trying to format was an existing internal HDD in my old PC. SwissKnife couldn't format it as FAT32. I finally used "Fat32formatter" - not the windows version but the DOS version. It worked in less than 10 seconds. I then removed it from the PC and put it in my external HD enclosure. Not sure if it was more complicated because it was an existing windows NTFS internal HD drive.

[quote name='smokedphish']
I feel dumb for not throwing the more important saves into my PS+ Cloud Storage.. so if you have that option, put your important saved games in there to be safe before you do anything.[/QUOTE]
Since we are all getting PS+ for the month, the Cloud saving feature is best for something like this. It will even transfer the proprietary transfers such as Heavy Rain and such. A very cool feature and was worth the price of PS+ for me, along with the Auto Update.

[quote name='zenithyoda']Everything was transfarerd. However, I have to deactivate everything on my old ps3, and reactivate it on my new PS3.

Annoying, but doable.[/QUOTE]

How is it annoying? Takes like 5 seconds to deactivate your old system and activate your new one and you're done.

[quote name='Nogib']How is it annoying? Takes like 5 seconds to deactivate your old system and activate your new one and you're done.[/QUOTE]

I have 13 different accounts on my PS3, and I had to track down passwords for a few of them. Plus, since I was the first to log into most of them since PSN came back up, I had to change the password on those accounts as well, and then change it back so everyone else in the gameshare could log back in as needed.

so, overall it took me about 30 minutes.

I'm getting ready to trade in my Launch ps3 to GS while they have their $50+ promo for a new ps3. Obviously I won't have the old one here when I pick the new one up. Would I be able to put a few game saves on some flash drives I have? And when I get the new ps3, can I just log in using my old account info? Sorry for the ignorant post, just confused on how the whole thing works. Thanks for any advice..

[quote name='Gatorsfan35']I'm getting ready to trade in my Launch ps3 to GS while they have their $50+ promo for a new ps3. Obviously I won't have the old one here when I pick the new one up. Would I be able to put a few game saves on some flash drives I have? And when I get the new ps3, can I just log in using my old account info? Sorry for the ignorant post, just confused on how the whole thing works. Thanks for any advice..[/QUOTE]
That all depends, as some save files are copy protected and cannot be moved. However, if you still have the free month of PS+ from the welcome back program, you could likely use the free cloud storage to attempt transferring those saves that may be copy protected over.

I learned this lesson the hard way with the copy protected saves when trying to switch from my 40gb PS3 to the 120gb slim I bought when they first came out. EA apparently had Pandemic lock copying of the save files for Mercenaries 2 and that was the ONLY save file I actually WANTED to copy over to the new one.:whistle2:#

Yes I have PS+ and used the free cloud storage already. When I get the new PS3, will i be able to log in with no problem or do I/should I deactivate my account and format the hard drive to wipe clean any info before trading in?

As long as you go in and do the quick format after deactivating your account on the PS3 you should be ok.

The full formatting will likely take multiple HOURS to do.

bread's done
Back