CAGcast #241: Better with Kinect

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#31 easper

easper

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:59 PM

When it comes to games, I'm not surprised when anyone does or doesn't like something that I do. L.A. Noire is a very different kind of game—not flawless but fun, and unlike anything I've played before, despite its adventure game roots. I can't begrudge Shipwreck not digging it as much as Cheapy or me. I'll be curious to hear what Wombat thinks once he's played it. I appreciate his perspective, but I'm glad he cut his screenwriting/game analogy short before he took too strong a position based on assumptions. Just because a game sticks more to a movie/TV storytelling formula than traditional gameplay doesn't mean it's poorly made. Far too many games add in unnecessary action sequences to pad out game length at the expense of story.

#32 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 04:51 PM

That Macho Man comment had me laughing for a bit... fucking evil Wombat.

#33 nofzac

nofzac

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Lex Luger killed Elizabeth...i think it was a pretty big story. That guy was apparently a pretty horrible person.

#34 Porksta

Porksta

Sillier Mofo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

Here is how to win at 3 Card Monte or the shell game:

Pick your card (or shell) and put your hands on top of the other two. Since the dealer palms the correct card, he will have no choice but to let you win.
I am famous for getting CheapyD to watch Swollen Tip while he was broadcasting live.

#35 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:23 PM

I'm curious if Shippy will warm up to LA Noire after he plays more of it.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#36 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

Here is how to win at 3 Card Monte or the shell game:

Pick your card (or shell) and put your hands on top of the other two. Since the dealer palms the correct card, he will have no choice but to let you win.

In this case, the dealer also has another choice. It involves a knife and stabbing you.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#37 gaypunk

gaypunk

Omni-Gellin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Shipwreck is awesome. I find myself agreeing with him more than Cheapy or Wombat.

Everyone on the show is fun, but Shipwreck is the hardcore glue to the whole operation. He's the guy that plays everything, has the gamer-score to prove it, is a solid reviewer, and is a knowledgeable, balanced chap. I don't get when people say otherwise. I like poop jokes as much as anyone, but I also want to know if the new releases suck or not.

I bought Naughty Bear too. I'm sorry. It was a terrible game, but it was really rewarding killing all the bears stealthy and in interesting ways. It was different, and twisted.

I am digging L.A. Noire so far. I fast Travel everywhere, just like GTA. Glad it is free.

#38 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:49 PM

Wombat, I've broken my glasses roughly 15 times since second grade. Top that!

What are you in the third grade now?

Lex Luger killed Elizabeth...i think it was a pretty big story. That guy was apparently a pretty horrible person.

So he is just apparently a horrible person for killing someone? At what point do you take the word "apparently" out of the equation?

As to Wombat not liking "Games that seem like movies" genre, did he not like Metal Gear Solid 4? Did that not have extensive cut scenes? L.A. Noire does have the feeling at times of Heavy Rain, but that is mainly while your doing the investigation and interviewing of people. I just like that there are many ways to solve a case. One way you can get a guy to confess and arrest him and he'll give up the address of a suspect. Or you could just leave him and follow him to the suspect. But I guess that is how Heavy Rain is as well depending on your actions. Side missions are redundant at times.
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#39 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 06:57 PM

I just bought my first GoD on Sunday - Just Cause 2. It was $29.99, which was only a couple of bucks more than Amazon sell the disc version for, and I paid in MS Points which I have gotten a good amount of for free thru Bing Rewards. So add that to the convenience of having it on my hard drive, and I feel like I got a great deal.

On the other end of the spectrum, 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand just got added to Games on Demand, and for reasons that defy any logical explanation, the price is $59.99.

http://marketplace.x...15-d8025451083b

I'm talking more about the titles that are no longer in stock at retail stores that should be $10-$15 at most. Though being more consistent with pricing would also be great, but the range is huge right now ($20 to $60) and games like Modern Warfare 2 and Halo Reach are showing that high prices are fine if the game is popular enough.

Sales would be a big help, though those have been rare at best. The Halo Reach sale is the first one I've seen in a while. I own a bunch of digital UMD games on the PSP (Chinatown Wars, VC2, Persona 3, Burnout Legends, WTF, Prinny, Killzone) because of their sales and price drops and would be willing to do the same for Xbox 360 and PS3 if they did the same.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#40 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:07 PM

What are you in the third grade now?

I want my Juice!:lol:
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#41 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

I'm talking more about the titles that are no longer in stock at retail stores that should be $10-$15 at most.

Oh, I agree. I would have bought a few old games on GoD already if they were priced like they should be. Burnout Revenge is a great example of a game that should be $9.99.

I just wanted to point out that $29.99 is a good price for Just Cause 2 which only came out in March last year, and that $59.99 is an ridiculous price for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

#42 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 08:54 PM

Shipwreck, Microsoft is charging $59.99 for 50 Cent Blood on the Sand. That game originally cost $49.99. Their pricing model is completely broken. It's hard for consumers to get excited about downloadable games as a service if their pricing isn't consistent and there's the prospect that those games won't work on future consoles.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#43 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

Oh, I agree. I would have bought a few old games on GoD already if they were priced like they should be. Burnout Revenge is a great example of a game that should be $9.99.

I just wanted to point out that $29.99 is a good price for Just Cause 2 which only came out in March last year, and that $59.99 is an ridiculous price for 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand.

Sure, there are decent prices, but they are kind of outweighed by a lot of questionable stuff. I'd be willing to bend a bit for a game I'd really want to play, like Just Cause 2 if I didn't already have it on the PS3.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#44 teknikalei

teknikalei

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:41 PM

Just use fast travel to avoid driving in LA Noire, Shipwreck. I do that when Street Crime alerts get annoying because Rockstar's games can't stand to allow you to drive for more than a minute without trying to get you to do something else instead.

The street crimes are already annoying me, so I foresee letting my partner drive a LOT.

Speaking of LA Noire, it's odd that you can't just shoot somebody in the leg to take them out without killing them, so you're this morally just cop that ends up killing hundreds of people.

I made the mistake of going for a leg in my first hostage situation - bad idea apparently. I guess it's a testament to the immersion of the game, because on my second try, after plugging the guy in the head, in the back of my mind I was thinking "I wonder if internal affairs is going to give me crap for blowing this guy away"... lol.

#45 adriley313

adriley313

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

sweetness will check out tonite
Now Playing:
:360: Prototype 2
:3ds: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Now Reading: Impulse by Steven Gould

#46 Feeding the Abscess

Feeding the Abscess

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:01 PM

Like Wombat, I also just played Uncharted 2.

My feelings on the series are similar to Cheapy's. I liked the first, the second was more of the same, and I'm not exactly enthused for a third.
Anti-State, Anti-War, Pro-Market

#47 drkshr

drkshr

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:48 PM

I thought Uncharted 2 was a lot more polished than Uncharted 1. I of course did play UC2 first before completing UC1. But I thought the over all graphics/game play/story were more than what UC1 had to offer.

#48 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:50 PM

I was mentioned in this week's show dooo daaaa dooo daaa!

#49 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

Wombat didn't say that any game that uses cut scenes to move the plot forward is a terrible game, did he?

#50 ShockandAww

ShockandAww

Truth is treason

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:24 AM

I thought Uncharted 2 was a lot more polished than Uncharted 1. I of course did play UC2 first before completing UC1. But I thought the over all graphics/game play/story were more than what UC1 had to offer.

I thought 2 was much much better than Uncharted. I got both games at about the same time, so I started Uncharted 1 and it was pretty decent. One day I said screw it and put in Uncharted 2 and that was it for Uncharted 1. I couldn't go back to it.

#51 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:28 AM

Sure, there are decent prices, but they are kind of outweighed by a lot of questionable stuff. I'd be willing to bend a bit for a game I'd really want to play, like Just Cause 2 if I didn't already have it on the PS3.

I spent literally hours going thru the games available on GoD before I found one that was reasonably priced and that I really wanted to play. I was looking for something kind of mindless that I could dip into (without having to change discs) when I had an hour to kill. I almost grabbed Midnight Club: LA for $19.99 till I realized I could get the Complete Edition for the same price from Amazon.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#52 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:36 AM

Does "Rockstar Presents Table Tennis" still cost $29.99 on Games on Demand?

#53 Kyrox

Kyrox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:43 AM

On the LusoGamer.com US achievement score leader boards Shipwreck is #228 and 229.

#54 David Hibiki

David Hibiki

Well then...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

Games on Demand service is pretty broken, though they usually fix the prices after a few weeks.
I bought Dead Space for $19.99 cause it was about that price every where at the time and wanted to show developer support.

I want to get Deathsmiles 2 since It's digital only. Maybe since It's not in the top 50 for sellers it will drop $19.99.

#55 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:06 AM

I bought Dead Space for $19.99 cause it was about that price every where at the time and wanted to show developer support..

I doubt that Games on Demand give the devs anymore than retail

#56 TheAggroCraig

TheAggroCraig

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:37 AM

Games on Demand service is pretty broken, though they usually fix the prices after a few weeks.
I bought Dead Space for $19.99 cause it was about that price every where at the time and wanted to show developer support.

I want to get Deathsmiles 2 since It's digital only. Maybe since It's not in the top 50 for sellers it will drop $19.99.

Only reason I bought it now was for CAVE support, in hopes they release other shmups over here in some form.

Good show this week, looking forward to more stories about E3 such as the yearly Cheapy weed adventures!

Posted Image

(Ex: Buy/Half/DeepDiscount/Gamestop.com/etc)

#57 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:49 PM

I doubt that Games on Demand give the devs anymore than retail

I bet it does, just like Steam does. Cutting out Amazon, Gamestop and Best Buy means more money for the devs.

#58 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:04 PM

Wombat, since you brought up playing Kinect with Sabrina again, if you want to see her squeel with joy download the Fantastic Pets demo. My niece loves it. We're on the fence deciding whether or not to buy it.

Edited by banodyne, 27 May 2011 - 01:07 PM.
added link

#59 Gureggu

Gureggu

Posted 27 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

I love the CAGCast.

You get the opinions of CheapyD, a millionaire mogul of the games industry, with stories of poop and Japan to boot.

Then you have Wombat, all-round nice-likeable good guy who tells interesting stories, is always making you laugh out loud, as well as serving as a perfect foil to Cheapy to make sure he never gets too big headed.

Ship's a nice guy, but Cheapy and Wombat are just on another level, out of this world.

Edited by Gureggu, 27 May 2011 - 03:07 PM.
Was too mean to Ship. Sorry :(

#60 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:01 PM

You give me too much credit, I'm not that nice.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image