Spam and now Spoilers being posted in the deals forum

V

Virtua

I don't know how many users will see it but there is some ass posting spoilers from the ending of LA Noire in the Deals Forum with the title promising a $20 price glitch on the game at best buy.

IMO between this shit and the spam that has been increasing on the deals page CAG needs to crack down on who is allowed to post on the deals page and be able to revoke that privelage if they misuse it.

I don't think new users should be allowed to post new threads in the deals page until they have 60 days on the forum and at least 30 posts in other threads. Discuss.

Yes, maybe this means a few isolated new users who actually have deals to post have to wait but there's no reason they couldn't share it in the thread for that retailer and a legit user post it. I just think CAG is too lenient about allowing new users to post on the Deals forum.

Okay so now they delete the threads but the guy comes back and reposts the spoilers again??

I hate to criticize this site because I have always loved CAG and it has given me so many good deals over the years but this is a big weakness either on the end of the site's design/rules or the moderation team.

A site this size with this much media attention should be able to prevent this.

Agreed 100%. I've been waiting since launch date to borrow LA Noire off a mate and to have the ending spoiled in such a way pisses me off beyond belief. I shouldn't have to isolate myself from the world whenever a new title I'm interested in comes out. This happened with Red Dead Redemption too and I was just as pissed.

The deals forum isn't even a general gaming discussion type board where you might reasonably stumble across people discussing these things.

I guess i'll just tread lightly in the deals forum.

CAG has always felt like a very scam/spam intolerant site, let's keep the standards high. What's next, people posting deals with links to trojans or javascript viruses?

It's hard to tread lightly when it was posted right in the title that
LA Noire spoil inbound.
No seriously dude, if you want to play this game, don't click on this again.
Honestly last warning bro.
Just kidding this is.
COLE PHELPS fuckING DROWNS?!

The lesson is, if someone wants to fuck with a site, there isn't much you can do about it except ban them after the fact.

[quote name='CheapyD']The lesson is, if someone wants to fuck with a site, there isn't much you can do about it except ban them after the fact.[/QUOTE]

You could also hunt them down Terminator style. :)

[quote name='CheapyD']The lesson is, if someone wants to fuck with a site, there isn't much you can do about it except ban them after the fact.[/QUOTE]

you're right! thanks for implementing something.

Hopefully the delay gets at least the casual trolls/spammers to forget that they planned to screw with the site.

Cheapy, might I suggest this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6boeAfMhao

Nobody goes around that lady's :)30) growing family without a background check! Maybe we need to background check all new members.

Seriously, though, I think a few days of waiting will help a little. But we have had dormant accounts that all of a sudden sprang to life and started spamming.

Is there a way we could set up a system to purge new accounts if they have little to no activity within a few days of signing up? I have a feeling that spam accounts will still pop up, and after the waiting period they will do what they always do.

[quote name='sp00ge']Seriously, though, I think a few days of waiting will help a little. But we have had dormant accounts that all of a sudden sprang to life and started spamming.

Is there a way we could set up a system to purge new accounts if they have little to no activity within a few days of signing up? I have a feeling that spam accounts will still pop up, and after the waiting period they will do what they always do.[/QUOTE]
How about instead of keeping all of the dormant accounts, they get purged from the system completely? Of course, I'd also like the same to happen to the frickin' lurkers with under 100 posts and multiple years on CAG. But we can all dream, right?;)

As far as people posting spoilers, I guess I must be in the minority here in that I've found that knowing the ending(s) to a game ahead of time just made me want to get through that game that much faster to see the ending.

But some games I'll likely never finish either due to impossibly frustratingly hard missions(church mission Mercenaries 2) or whatever, so I've watched the end cutscenes of those and I just screw around in the game world with a ton of cheats. In some cases, that's more fun than the actual game itself.:razz:

bread's done
Back