Photo
- - - - -

iOS 5 and iCloud Discussion

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

I can't say that that is one of the more exciting things for me. ;) Lots of other good looking improvements in there, though, from what we've seen.

#32 Zurezo

Zurezo

Say I Never

• CAGiversary!

Posted 22 June 2011 - 06:16 PM

http://www.cultofmac...-feature/101862

#33 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

That has to be one of the stupidest articles I've read in a while, and the note at the end doesn't convince me that it wasn't just an embarrassingly misguided article, and that the author is trying to cover up his dopiness. I mean the title pretty much makes it clear that it wasn't intended as a warning for prospective early upgraders. Ridiculous stuff.

#34 eaglestrikeforce

eaglestrikeforce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:31 PM

They keep touting 200 new features, but only ever highlight 7. Do the other 98% suck that badly?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your kung fu sucks.

Posted Image

Instagram :shock: Twitter :shock: Facebook

#35 Javery

Javery

Drug-Dealer-Keeper-Awayer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Why did they think it would be a good idea to add more undeletable icons to my phone? So annoying.

--- Bella's Arcade --- Donkey Kong + ---

#36 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

updated last night. so far, meh. a couple small things ive noticed so far, not even worth mentioning. but what's really pissed me off, is that not only can i not delete the newsstand app, i cant put it in a folder. wtf! so now i have this icon, for an app i dont plan on using (on an ipad, i could see myself using it, but not my iphone) just floating around my screen.

Posted Image

#37 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:47 PM

My favorite part of setting up iOS5 was when it asked if I wanted to set up iCloud and then I kept getting the message "cannot connect to iCloud". Awesome.

#38 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:01 PM

I like it so far, but I only have an ipad. Newstand is nice on a tablet where newspapers and magazines work well. The new notification system is MUCH better than the annoying pop up bubbles. Wireless syncing and updating will be great as well. The split keyboard on ipad is a nice option as well.

icloud worked for me last night, but I don't need that for anything really anyway as all my mail and contacts are in the cloud already as my workplace uses office365 for that stuff.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#39 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:09 PM

My favorite part of setting up iOS5 was when it asked if I wanted to set up iCloud and then I kept getting the message "cannot connect to iCloud". Awesome.

i havent tried anything with cloud. it was too late to get into it last night and now im at work.

Posted Image

#40 crunchewy

crunchewy

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I started downloading the iPhone iOS 5 last night and 4 or 5 hours later there was still a reported 4 or 5 hours to go. Too many people trying to get it at the same time, I guess. So, no, I didn't get it installed yet. Hopefully by the time that's done, I'm hoping the iPad version will go a lot quicker.

I heard about the Newstand app. That's pretty annoying that they don't let you even put it in a folder. Hopefully enough people complain that they change that. Everything else pretty much sounds great. I can't wait to use it.
Posted Image

#41 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

Minimizing the text box automatically when scrolling up in a text convo is amazing. Should've been there years ago

#42 Rig

Rig

Rig = Lunar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

Camera seems quicker for me; always a plus. Also, I like that it's available from the Lock Screen now. Played around with that for a bit.

To be honest, I didn't really mind the old text bubbles...though this new system definitely looks nice.

I'm also annoyed that Newsstand won't go in a folder.

One thing they're never gonna update/change is Searching text messages...what's the point of the current search box? It barely finds anything I want it to find when searching. Does it only search for a small limited time?

For example, if I search "tr" I get two text messages...I was in the process of spelling out "train" (which got no results...even though I've used it a couple times in texts). I would be much happier if I could do a text search on any and all my text messages that I have.

#43 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

Has anyone gotten iCloud to work? Keeps giving me an error. :|

Haven't played around with much and have class soon, but I love the minimizing keyboard in texts.

#44 RAMSTORIA

RAMSTORIA

fate is inexorable

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:44 PM

i got pretty excited when i realized i could make folders for photos and put pictures in there from my camera roll. but then i was immediately disappointed when i deleted the picture from my camera roll and it disappeared from the new folder. so basically, the folder is a bookmark, not an actual folder. annoying.

Posted Image

#45 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:49 PM

You mean moving your MobileMe account to iCloud? It kept telling me to "please try again later," and didn't work until early this morning.

#46 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Like, backing up on iCloud instead of a computer.

#47 jacknicklson

jacknicklson

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:13 PM

Mine backed up when I was sleeping. It apparently backsup when its not being used

I havent tried a manual one though.
Posted Image

#48 dmaul1114

dmaul1114

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:20 PM

Mine backed up when I was sleeping. It apparently backsup when its not being used

I havent tried a manual one though.

Yeah, I think the default setting is to back up automatically when plugged in and in lock mode.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-0524-8826

Bluray Collection
DVD Collection

#49 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Ah, just got it to work.

I have to get a new iPhone in a couple days (my lock button is stuck), should I use iCloud to backup and then restore to my new iPhone or should I use iTunes on my computer for that? Does it really matter?

#50 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

I'd back up on your computer to be safe. Don't wanna leave this stuff up to chance with iCloud just yet.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#51 Javery

Javery

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

Anyone know if it is possible to get the ESPN ticker added to the notifications window (like the stocks)?

#52 JJSP

JJSP

Beyond economical repair.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:59 PM

Only with a jailbreak, I believe. Also, it's possible hide the Newsstand app inside of a folder by creating one with two folders in it and dragging the Newsstand app in as the folder animation starts. It'll cause the app to crash if you open it and must be removed to use, but it's at least possible to hide it.

Cause I'm sick of seeing ghosts, and I know how it's all gonna end

There's no triumph waiting, there's no sunset to ride off in

We all want to be great men, there's nothing romantic about it

I just want to know that I did all I could with what I was given

I just want to sell out my funeral.

I just want to be enough for everyone.

#53 Rocko

Rocko

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

So if I set to sync with iCloud and I add songs to my iTunes library on my computer, will that sync up with iCloud to add them to my phone/iPod? I feel like it should but I haven't seen that sort of thing mentioned explicitly. Furthermore, I sync my iPhone to my laptop and that's where my main iTunes library is, but I do have iTunes on my desktop. If what I assumed above is true, would I have to add songs from my laptop, or would either work? I'm assuming laptop only because I know how iTunes tends to be with multiple computers.

#54 lmz00

lmz00

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

If you bought them on iTunes, and have "automatic download" enabled, they'll show up on all of your devices (at least I think that's how it works).

#55 eaglestrikeforce

eaglestrikeforce

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

Minimizing the text box automatically when scrolling up in a text convo is amazing. Should've been there years ago

I really like this feature.

Camera seems quicker for me; always a plus. Also, I like that it's available from the Lock Screen now. Played around with that for a bit.

Phone from lock screen has proved useful to me. I've hated missing moments to capture because i was busy scrambling to unlock and open the app.

I'm also annoyed that Newsstand won't go in a folder.

That got me a little bit, but I'm over it now.

It barely finds anything I want it to find when searching. Does it only search for a small limited time?

Have you tried using the home screen search?

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your kung fu sucks.

Posted Image

Instagram :shock: Twitter :shock: Facebook