CAGcast #242: E3 2011 Preview

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#31 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:00 PM

On the CAGCast last night - confirmation today from CD Projekt - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is coming to 360.

Cheapy, if you were THAT excited about Skyrim (haven't heard you so psyched in a while), you've got another game to get excited about now.

#32 Duck in a Pond

Duck in a Pond

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

cant wait to listen!

#33 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 02 June 2011 - 10:13 PM

On the CAGCast last night - confirmation today from CD Projekt - The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is coming to 360.

Cheapy, if you were THAT excited about Skyrim (haven't heard you so psyched in a while), you've got another game to get excited about now.

I know I'm excited for both.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#34 Vakir

Vakir

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

Shipwreck/Boatcrash -

Why would you buy an iPhone 4? You do know that a new iPhone is suppose to come out likeeeeeeee now!

#35 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:50 PM

Vita is Latin for Life, pronounced 'We-ta'. Probably some sort of play on Sony Life or something like that.

I'm guessing Sony also liked the similarity between Vita and Vaio.

Unfortunately that is also a stupid name.

#36 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

My interest in Noire is waning as well. It's nowhere near the game described in the early reviews that called it a masterpiece. The big problems I see are:

1) Phelps is an ass. I can't stand his pompous demeanor.
2) Why is every street crime resolved by shooting the dude? Shouldn't there be a benefit to taking the person into custody? Is it even possible? An early mission had you tackle a suspect, but I haven't been able to do that in the game. Besides, it's much easier to just shoot em in the head & call it a day.
3) Great facial animation but the heads bob around like the marionettes in the old Thunderbirds show.
4) Interrogation is really ....odd. One second you are nice and polite & then if you choose doubt you are suddenly yelling 'YOU MURDEROUS FUCKING SCUMBAG I KNOW YOU DID IT!!!!'. It's really jarring. Doubt should be more about, well... doubt. And less about accusation.
5) The overarching story is really thin, if there even is one. Is it the flashbacks? The newspaper stories? I have no idea, and it hurts the game to lack a solid story with character progression.

#37 Fjordson

Fjordson

Posted 03 June 2011 - 12:59 AM

Mafia 2 over L.A. Noire? Man, as time goes on, I'm coming to realize that I'm quite literally the complete opposite of Shipwreck when it comes to anything gaming-related. Except for the Skyrim hype 8-)

Anyways, haven't said it anywhere else yet, but congrats Wombat! Missed him on the show this week.

Really can't wait for E3 week. Already been lots of great news (MGS HD collection and Witcher 2 for 360!!!).

#38 my2k2zx2

my2k2zx2

Molly, Rockin the Doggles

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:38 AM

Was the Ghostbusters intro music because of Wombat's new baby? Elliot's initials are EGN, close enough to Egon. I had already put the Egon associaton to his initials before I started the CAGcast so it was a little weird when the Ghostbusters theme started.

Maybe I'm just seeing weird name associations as we have twins on the way, due in September.
If its free, its for me!!

#39 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

You guys have great timing when talking about how PSN/PS Store will be down for much longer and then having them come back the next day.

Microsoft really needs to overhaul their dashboard to add some real social networking functionality (Twitter/Facebook apps don't count). It's slow and so disconnected in many ways (No way to get from your games library to the marketplace or offer all of the information from the marketplace page in your games library? Really?). Make it easy for me to see which of my friends have been playing the new multiplayer game since the only current way is extremely clunky (Looking at their achievements). Sony could do some of the same things.

Good show.

#40 RichMeisterMan

RichMeisterMan

Umbrella Executive

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:03 AM

Want to get the most out of LA Noire? Look at it as more of a highly interactive movie instead of a game. There really isn't a lot of game here, but it's very well made.

My interest in Noire is waning as well. It's nowhere near the game described in the early reviews that called it a masterpiece. The big problems I see are:

1) Phelps is an ass. I can't stand his pompous demeanor.
2) Why is every street crime resolved by shooting the dude? Shouldn't there be a benefit to taking the person into custody? Is it even possible? An early mission had you tackle a suspect, but I haven't been able to do that in the game. Besides, it's much easier to just shoot em in the head & call it a day.
3) Great facial animation but the heads bob around like the marionettes in the old Thunderbirds show.
4) Interrogation is really ....odd. One second you are nice and polite & then if you choose doubt you are suddenly yelling 'YOU MURDEROUS FUCKING SCUMBAG I KNOW YOU DID IT!!!!'. It's really jarring. Doubt should be more about, well... doubt. And less about accusation.
5) The overarching story is really thin, if there even is one. Is it the flashbacks? The newspaper stories? I have no idea, and it hurts the game to lack a solid story with character progression.

1.) He's pompous? I think he's just a straight edge cop in a city of cops that are crooked and taking bribes from one place or another.
2.) These are often pretty lame, no arguing that, I guess they needed something else to offer outside of the main game? IDK
3.) I don't know what you are talking about. It's not just the facial animations that were mapped it was the entire head and body along with the face movement. Animation across the board is superb, imho.
4.) The people are lying and hindering an police investigation, not something that should be taken lightly. The flow is sometimes a smidge odd though.
5.) From what I have heard the over arching story picks up during the last 1/4 of the game.

#41 eliter1

eliter1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 07:51 AM

Seems to me like LA Noir is another over hyped over rated game, GTA IV anyone? I remember getting GTA IV on launch and feeling ripped off and I have been hearing a lot of complaints about LA Noir that GTA IV used to have. GTA IV had a lot of problems but not many reviewers seemed to point them out and it seems LA Noir is getting the same preferential treatment. I have not played the game and I probably won't until it's cheap because I have a feeling that I'll feel let down by all of the hype and high ratings the game has received.
Posted Image

#42 Dr Mario Kart

Dr Mario Kart

SD/2D Defense Force

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:13 AM

With all the weed you'll be smoking at E3, I doubt that skipping meals is going to be a concern.

#43 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:12 PM

hey Cheapy you should make people sign up for CAG in order to get into the E3 Party (if they don't have one). I know the party is for CAGs but if you can get people to sign up, or follow you guys on Twitter... a good party can make that happen.
Posted Image

#44 apathylad

apathylad

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:53 PM

Oh man, I'm really worried about this year's CAG party. I looked at the group page, and it may be possible than more the twice the maximum capacity will be present.

#45 zebwinz

zebwinz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Hey, Shipwreck, Gearbox was always the developer for Colonial Marines but Sega pulled their funding on it a couple years back. It was supposedly a squad based shooter back then. You were confusing it with Aliens RPG, I believe.

And Cheapy, make sure to stop by the xbox booth and say hi to Bridget ONeill!
Posted Image

#46 freakord

freakord

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 June 2011 - 06:49 PM

Seriously, enough with spoiling games.

#47 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 04:46 AM

What was spoiled? Hitman? If you haven't played it yet, it's a little late to be worried about spoilers.

#48 Kylearan

Kylearan

Hell Drifter

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:46 AM

What was spoiled? Hitman? If you haven't played it yet, it's a little late to be worried about spoilers.

Hmm...I actually just got Hitman a few weeks ago.

I think it's obscure enough that spoiling it is possible. It's not quite FFVII.

#49 sticnap

sticnap

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 06:30 PM

About Hitman, if you were still wondering where you got the guns from, you were actually buried with them if I remember correctly.

#50 orko60

orko60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

RE: Vita

As much as that sounds like a dumb name, pretty much EVERY name sounds dumb when you first hear it. Xbox, Playstation, Wii, Genesis...they are all goofy words that you just get used to after a while. It's all about what you're playing on it, and it seems like the games are going to look great and play well. Remember when they announced "iPad"? The uproar over it sounding like a feminine hygiene product was crazy for a few weeks, then no one cared.
Posted Image

#51 serenitygod

serenitygod

on the brink

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 01:57 AM

It is never too late to be worried about spoilers, don't ever give them over the air
unless you are willing to hear about games that you don't want spoiled it is very selfish.
Honestly if you're going to give them out then the Heavy Rain guy should be a hero on CAG.

Anyway, I didn't like this show. This is probably the first one I have ever listened 2 I just didn't like. Boring, I mean every single appointment for E3? You should make whacky predictions instead of telling me your day-schedule.
Posted Image

[IMG]http://http://www.doggiestylish.com/store/images/wordpress/uploads/2010/08/duck_dog_mask.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://gamercards.exophase.com/164888.png[/IMG]

#52 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:13 AM

I have to say, it was refreshing to hear the excitement in Cheapy's voice when talking about E3. Notwithstanding his complete disinterest in Atari (can you blame him?) Cheapy maintained a level of excitement/energy in this show that we rarely hear anymore.

Shipwreck is a work horse. I don't always agree with him, but the guy is all business. He is on top of everything and he filled Wombat's role admirably this week. Also Shipwreck looks absolutely brilliant on the heels of the growing consensus that (while good) LA Noire is a bit overrated.

I still want Wombat in Wombat's role, but this was a fantastic show by a two man crew.

#53 DQT

DQT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:17 AM

No Cheapy, Iron Man was not dead serious and managed to succeed as a pretty great movie.

The reason why Green Lantern looks so likely to be terrible is because they're showing like 12 supporting characters, and 3 villains. It looks like they're trying to blow their entire Green Lantern load with one movie instead of just telling a good origin story.

Regarding the cag E3 party, the only quiz question you would really need is "What's your CAG user name?"

Also this might help with the overflow of people attending, from their website:

"Dress code is strictly enforced. No shorts, flip flops, baseball hats, athletic wear, including jerseys, or overly baggy clothing will be allowed."

Maybe half the people attending will be turned away at the door?

Edited by DQT, 05 June 2011 - 03:27 AM.

#54 aerotive

aerotive

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:14 AM

THAT's what I was trying to think of! Also, what about YouTube with the ability to record and post videos with Kinect?

Maybe but given that Youtube is owned by Google there would be a lot of internal resistance from various Microsoft divisions and execs.

They've allowed Youtube uploads from some games, so it's possible...can also see them doing it for MS's online video site, whatever that is/if it exists.

#55 orko60

orko60

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 05:25 AM

No Cheapy, Iron Man was not dead serious and managed to succeed as a pretty great movie.

The reason why Green Lantern looks so likely to be terrible is because they're showing like 12 supporting characters, and 3 villains. It looks like they're trying to blow their entire Green Lantern load with one movie instead of just telling a good origin story.

I think the distinction is "taking the movie seriously" and "being a serious movie." It doesn't necessarily have to be a serious movie, but they should treat the character with respect. This is what is making these new superhero movies good. They have real directors, real actors, good stories, etc. That's why you love them. Everything doesn't have to be Dark Knight serious to be good. I think Green Lantern could be cool. Also, X-Men First Class (going to see it tomorrow).

And like the guy above said, it's nice to see Cheapy excited about something. He always seem so negative about everything lately (except Game of Thrones). Keep it up!
Posted Image

#56 supermidget

supermidget

Agent Short

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 01:19 AM

They mentioned that someone who looked a lot like shipwreck was photographed in La Noire. Does anyone know where that picture is?
For the latest in video game rumors check out: http://www.vgrumorhq.com

#57 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:42 AM

missed Wombat, but it was a great show nonetheless!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#58 neocisco

neocisco

I am Groot!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:29 AM

What is about the site that you want to change, Cheapy?

Now playing (& watching):
:ps3:-Binary Domain
:br:-Game of Thrones season 1
My tradelist:http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=116943
35bb9lx.gif

#59 thenexus6

thenexus6

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:03 PM

Great show thanks for putting it out, and yeah Hitman Blood Money ending was fantastic highly anticipating news about the new one.

Blade_Runner_2-1.jpg

the-nexus6.png

PSN the-nexus6 | Xbox Live Ken the Wizard
https://twitter.com/saunderscowie

#60 GOTA

GOTA

Posted 06 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

It's just not E3 without Cheapy berating Wombat over and over again.