Slacker Radio

snowsquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
So I am loving slacker radio. I like the concept of a station, it makes discovery much easier, and less work than RDIO, and ones like that. Especially their New 40 station, is great for discovery. Everthing from Iron & Wine, to Sugarland, to Damian Marley, to Band of Horses, etc. But if you are a "I only listen to this type of music, everything is for teh looozerz" type, then they have multiple stations like that too.

Unfortunately the people who run Slacker are idiots, and refuse to publish an API, so the only good way to listen is on the phone apps (blackberry/android/ios). Their desktop players are shite flash apps.

Anyway, I would love to play it on my home stereo through the PS3. But the PS3 browswer chokes on the Slacker's web player. Has anyone had any success via media server hackery to get Slacker to work?

I am open to Slacker alternatives too. I have tried Groove Shark, and it is ok, but I don't like how they have crowdsourced MP3's, too much clutter. I like how Slacker/RDIO only have official versions.

Thanks,
~S

I also enjoy Slacker Radio. But you are right about the running of the company though. They had 2 portable devices that went to total crap. They have since discontinued them and went strictly into smartphones and other portable devices.
Haven't gotten to work on PS Media Server yet. Maybe someone will come up with something.

Sounds like something I'd listen to to relax. Do they have a web stream? DOes it work on 2007 1st gen ipods? That's all I've got now and (shouldn't) afford a new one.

[quote name='2DMention']Sounds like something I'd listen to to relax. Do they have a web stream? DOes it work on 2007 1st gen ipods? That's all I've got now and (shouldn't) afford a new one.[/QUOTE]

I have a Logitech squeezbox that I use to listen to it outside of the computer. It has an interface app on the apple store for ipod touches and iphones, along with droid and blackberry, but that is about it.
Slacker.com has a web stream and interface on their website. Definitely check it out.

bread's done
Back