- - - - -

Official Amazon Trade-In FAQ 4.0 - READ 1st POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3459 replies to this topic

#1 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:02 PM

Welcome to the Official CAG Amazon.com Trade-In Thread

Hey trade-in pals! SENDING THINGS IN DISC / CARTRIDGE ONLY / GENERIC CASE NO MANUAL / ANYTHING BUT COMPLETE COULD RESULT IN REJECTION. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS. YOU MIGHT GET ACCEPTED, YOU MIGHT NOT. NO ONE KNOWS. THERE ARE NO HARD AND FAST RULES. IF IT IS ACCEPTED, IT WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY ONLY BE CONSIDERED "ACCEPTABLE." RISK YOUR TIME AND EFFORT AT YOUR PERIL!

I'm getting an acceptance rate of about one per day; it makes me think some supervisor is standing around with a glass of absinthe next to a couple of dumptruck loads of games...while the one responsible for the glitch is made to scan each item and recite its TIV with tears in their eyes.

Amazon.com Trade-in Home Page

------- FAQ BELOW - LEAVE ME ALONE PLEASE -------
Useful links:
-- BlueLobstah
-- CheapAssGamer
THANKS TO DISILLUSION386 and GI60 FOR POSTING AND MAINTAINING THE PREVIOUS AMAZON TRADE-IN FAQ THREADS

This thread’s primary purpose is to discuss Amazon.com’s video game trade-in program. Conspiracy theories about NORAM smashing games before sending them back / stealing children / sneezing and touching public door handles / etc welcome, but try to avoid going nutso. PLEASE READ THE TRADE-IN DEAL DETAILS AND FAQ BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS.

Trade-In Procedure

1. SELECT ITEMS: Search for items to trade in. Your trade-in items must meet the product eligibility criteria.
2. SHIP GAMES FREE: Print a shipping label and packing slip, package your games, and ship them
3. GET A GIFT CARD: An Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account upon receipt of games

Shipping Instructions

1. Print this entire page. (Packing slip and shipping label once you have submitted a trade)
2. Cut out the shipping label and the packing slip.
3. Make sure your items are in good working condition and include the case and cover art.
4. Securely pack the items in a box or envelope and include the packing slip in the package.
5. Attach the shipping label squarely onto the outside of the package and add your return address.
6. Take it to your nearest UPS Store and mail it by (one week from submission of trade)
7. Or you can ship to:
note to self: look up new address

Trade-In Product Eligibility

Trade-in items must match the exact version displayed in the Amazon Trade-In Store, not be damaged, include original packaging (e.g. the manual, cover art, and case), and be postmarked no later than 7 days after submission. You will receive an e-mail confirmation and an Amazon.com Gift Card will be deposited into your account within 2 business days of item receipt and verification by the merchant. Items not accepted by the merchant will be returned to you approximately 14 days after receipt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

GENERAL FAQ (Updated 06/07/2011)
Can I post a question on this thread?
  • Spoiler
Can I edit this FAQ? (updated 6/7/11)
  • Spoiler
Since when did Amazon start doing trades?
  • Spoiler
What kind of shipping does Amazon provide us?
  • Spoiler
Do I have to provide my own box or envelope?
  • Spoiler
Do all my games in the same trade-in submission have to be shipped in the same box? (updated 3/9/11)
  • Spoiler
Can I put separate trades in to a single box? (updated 6/7/11)
  • Spoiler
Can I send in sealed games?
  • Spoiler
Can I add Delivery Confirmation and Insurance to my shipment?
  • Spoiler
I don't trust UPS ground. Can I pay for postage myself? What's the address?
  • Spoiler
When do I have to send my games once I have submitted my trade order?
  • Spoiler
Crap, I have one day to go before my shipment deadline, but the website states that my deadline has already passed. How do I print out a shipping label and packing slip?
  • Spoiler
How long does the whole trade-in process usually take?
  • Spoiler
How long does the "processing" status usually take? (Updated 6/8/11)
  • Spoiler
My games were received on Friday (based on Delivery Confirmation), will I have to wait until Monday to receive credit?
  • Spoiler
I do not have the manual, cover art, or original case for a game I want to trade in. Will they accept it? (updated 6/9/11)
  • Spoiler
I do not have the manual, accessories, original box, original included game, etc for a console or accessory I want to trade in. Will they accept it? (updated 3/9/11)
  • Spoiler
My game is really beat up, what are the chances they’ll accept it?
  • Spoiler
My game came with DLC codes and I used them. Will my game be accepted? (Updated 12/28/11)
  • Spoiler
My cover art (PLATINUM HITS) differs from the pic on amazon, will my trade be accepted?
  • Spoiler
I have a game from a limited edition bundle, will they accept it?
  • Spoiler
The UPC barcode is not intact on my game's cover art, will that be accepted? (updated 3/9/11)
  • Spoiler
I sent in my games, all of which were in pristine condition with the original packaging, but they said that one game is damaged and is now being returned.
  • Spoiler
Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
  • Spoiler
How many multiple copies of the same game can I trade-in (updated 1/11/11)?
  • Spoiler
I locked in X copies of a game but I now only have Y available to send. Can I just send in Y without being penalized? (updated 3/9/11)
  • Spoiler
Will the Trade-in of the Day TIV stay for 24 hours?
  • Spoiler
So if I find a good flip, I can just send 2 copies of that game and not worry about Amazon accusing me of stolen merchandise?
  • Spoiler
Wow, these TIVs suck (updated 3/9/11)!
  • Spoiler
What the Fuck? The TIV of a game I just bought for this deal tanked! What do I do?
  • Spoiler
Can I edit a submitted trade?
  • Spoiler
Can I use my credit on items that are not video game-related?
  • Spoiler
Can I use my credit on items sold by third-party merchants on Amazon?
  • Spoiler
Strategy guides? I can trade in game/strategy guides? Whaaaaa?
  • Spoiler
I locked in some hilariously overvalued trade for some weird rare game/accessory/etc that I can pick up for cheap cheap cheap. They didn't accept it. What should I do? (updated 3/9/11)
  • Spoiler
What's all this item condition nonsense? And how can I get screwed over by it? (updated 6/9/11)
  • Spoiler
  • Good Condition eligibility (games):

• - The video game, original manufacturer packaging and all original elements are included, but shows wear from normal use
    - Game still plays perfectly
    - Disc may have light scratches and other elements may have minor damage
    - Item may have been personalized (marked or identified)

• Acceptable eligibility (games):

- Game still plays perfectly
    - Item may have been personalized (marked or identified)
    - Item may be missing or have irreparable damage to one or all of the following: case, manual, artwork, bundled accessories, UPC

• Note that a game will almost certainly not be accepted if it meets any of these conditions:

- Game does not play perfectly
    - Disc is cracked
    - Marked Not for Resale (or is otherwise marked not for sale)

Consoles/accessories have some slightly different criteria, but the idea is the same.

Did it seriously just ask me if I wanted my game / other item returned if they refuse to give me credit for it? (updated 6/9/11)
  • Spoiler
Who is AFS? (updated 6/9/11)
  • Spoiler
Post away!

Edited by handsomepete, 02 October 2012 - 10:49 PM.

#2 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:04 PM

Hall of Fame

Amazon's trade-in program is great. Sometimes shit just gets out of hand.

If you've ever scoffed at Dragonball Z... (thanks SpartenOmega117)

Edited by handsomepete, 12 January 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#3 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:20 PM

hello-thinking of sending an elite in. Any success sending them in without the original box yet?

#4 io

io

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:27 PM

hello-thinking of sending an elite in. Any success sending them in without the original box yet?

I'm nervous sending mine in and I have all the original packaging and stuff. I'm not sure I'd do it without the box - unless you are willing to take the $140 "acceptable" downgrade (which still isn't too bad but pales in comparison to the $200 for "good").

#5 ClevelandBrowns

ClevelandBrowns

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 07:36 PM

New thread! Very nice. If anyone wants to change colors on their DS3, the black trades in for $24.75 and the blue trades in for $25.90. Also, infamous trades in for $8 if you got it free for the PSN welcome back.

CBrownsT10.png

#6 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

Thank you for putting the link to the new thread in the old one. It drives me nuts when people do not do that! :applause:

#7 xskaxninjax

xskaxninjax

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

Can you add the http://ativ.scurker.com link to the first post? Very handy for me and I'm afraid I'll lose it with the last thread haha.

#8 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 08:51 PM

hot damn! just locked in $230 for my old elite. so what do I have to include for a "like new" submission?

edit:
okay so I have the Lego Indy/Kungfu Panda bundle box :cry:

Edited by Gamer SDP, 08 June 2011 - 09:41 PM.

#9 chuckywang

chuckywang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 09:24 PM

$154.10 for my 40gb Playstation 3. Good deal or no?

#10 anarch

anarch

And all that could have been...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up on the elite trade-in. My girlfriend is moving in so we don't need two 360s, and my old elite just went out of warranty. I still have the original box and components, so this trade-in is perfect timing. I'm just debating on whether I should reject lower offers; $140 isn't that great, but is still probably better than what Gamestop would offer...

#11 SonictheHedgehog1337

SonictheHedgehog1337

That guy with the creepy signature

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:01 PM

4.0 in the hizzouse!

Also, infamous trades in for $8 if you got it free for the PSN welcome back.

Looks like $8 Amazon credit for me then. Thanks.

Open spoiler at your own risk.

You have been Warned!

Spoiler

#12 io

io

Posted 08 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

Looks like $8 Amazon credit for me then. Thanks.

Just a heads up that it was trading for $10 at GS and with the 50% promo + PUR you could get $16. I believe that price was current through yesterday. It could always drop, but still is probably more than the $8 from Amazon. That is a case where GS clearly beats Amazon.

Edit: Price still good at GS as of 6/9 according to the GS trade-in thread...

Edited by io, 09 June 2011 - 07:45 PM.

#13 sgaldis

sgaldis

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:10 AM

For those of you considering trading in Elite for $230, I'd jump all over that. I challenge someone to tell me of any venue you could use to get that much for just a Phat xbox console & hard drive (not bundling any games, accessories, etc.. with it). I would even be all over the $140; honestly, you would be hard-pressed to get that much of of that console anywhere, as well. Around here old Xbox's (even w/ hard drives) routinely go for $80-100. Hell, I just got a 4gb slim, kinect and dance central for $160 a few weeks ago; someone would have to be pretty hard up to give you $140 for it, and borderline insane to give you $230.

#14 Alamo

Alamo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

Last time i sent in my elite: Which was priced at $130...great deal still..

it was rejected.....Best job i have ever done on a package, it even looked brand new.

#15 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:21 PM

Can you add the http://ativ.scurker.com link to the first post? Very handy for me and I'm afraid I'll lose it with the last thread haha.

Had it up there (under the useful links section) but made it more clear. Also added a link to the Chrome extension and made some brief updates regarding new condition rules and whatnot. If anyone has anything they'd like me to add, please let me know. Thanks!

Also, Mortal Kombat :360: and :ps3: are both trading in at $30 if anyone is sick of limb removal (if that's even possible).

#16 BlueLobstah

BlueLobstah

Do you...want my carrots?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Nice job Pete! Tagging so I can keep track of the thread.

Posted Image

SSBB: blue - 4897-5594-5432
MKWii: Jason - 0344-9687-4928

#17 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:17 PM

Haven't checked one of these threads in a long time; do you guys still find a lot of good flips? I need to move $100 of GS credit to Amazon, but can't say I've been trying very hard lol. Seems like ever since they killed off the coupons and trade promos there has been nothing worthwhile.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#18 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 03:18 PM

wait for a b2g1 free

#19 Gamer SDP

Gamer SDP

not much of a gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:00 PM

update on the elite tiv:
Like New $200.40
Good $174.25
Acceptable $122.00

anyone have a screen shot for when it was $230 Like New? I would like to have quotes for the other conditions in case Noram tries to pull something

#20 Mr Snarp Snarps

Mr Snarp Snarps

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Wow great topic, thanks tc!

#21 cheeky

cheeky

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:09 PM

Haven't checked one of these threads in a long time; do you guys still find a lot of good flips? I need to move $100 of GS credit to Amazon, but can't say I've been trying very hard lol. Seems like ever since they killed off the coupons and trade promos there has been nothing worthwhile.

You obviously haven't been paying attention. People were getting $200 for PS2 fats a couple weeks ago.

#22 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:37 PM

While not positive flip, it isn't too far off....Need for speed hot pursuit for the PS3 currently gets $30 on amazon but sells for $35 used at GS, after edge, that would be 31.50 plus tax

#23 chuckywang

chuckywang

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

You obviously haven't been paying attention. People were getting $200 for PS2 fats a couple weeks ago.

I bought a complete PS2 for $30 off CL for that one. No need paying $50 in GS credit to get a PS2.

#24 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 09 June 2011 - 04:57 PM

I miss gamestop's delightful disasters. I had more fun gaming their coupon system than I do playing some of the games I got as a result. Seems the poweruprewards is the sad sack of a substitue, at least for now.

#25 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 June 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, ever since the GS coupons died and Amazon just killed any promotions for trading in, I really haven't payed attention.

While not positive flip, it isn't too far off....Need for speed hot pursuit for the PS3 currently gets $30 on amazon but sells for $35 used at GS, after edge, that would be 31.50 plus tax

Not bad, but I tend to try and profit from the move at the same time. Thanks though!

I miss gamestop's delightful disasters. I had more fun gaming their coupon system than I do playing some of the games I got as a result. Seems the poweruprewards is the sad sack of a substitue, at least for now.

Exactly. I remember making hundreds off certain titles thanks to promos, coupons, and Amazon's trade of the day. Now it seems like too much effort to try and find a worthwhile flip.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#26 io

io

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

For those of you considering trading in Elite for $230, I'd jump all over that. I challenge someone to tell me of any venue you could use to get that much for just a Phat xbox console & hard drive (not bundling any games, accessories, etc.. with it). I would even be all over the $140; honestly, you would be hard-pressed to get that much of of that console anywhere, as well. Around here old Xbox's (even w/ hard drives) routinely go for $80-100. Hell, I just got a 4gb slim, kinect and dance central for $160 a few weeks ago; someone would have to be pretty hard up to give you $140 for it, and borderline insane to give you $230.

Last time i sent in my elite: Which was priced at $130...great deal still..

it was rejected.....Best job i have ever done on a package, it even looked brand new.

Yeah, sgaldis, that's why I was hesitant to send mine in for the $172 quote a few weeks back. But the $230/$200 is just too tempting so I'm sending mine in this time. I just hope I don't get a broken one back :bomb:.

update on the elite tiv:
Like New $200.40
Good $174.25
Acceptable $122.00

anyone have a screen shot for when it was $230 Like New? I would like to have quotes for the other conditions in case Noram tries to pull something

Damn, I wish I had thought of that. I guess I assumed the other prices would be in my quote but they aren't. So, yeah, if anyone has this I'd like it too!

In other news, UPS was its usualy slow self (over 1 week) and NorAm took their sweet time (4 days to process) but I finally got my first trades from some of the BBV games accepted today. There were no issues with my 2 x Harry Potter Wii for the trade-in DotD pricing of $18 each. Its no $50 -> $200 PS2, but is nice nonetheless. I didn't end up sending much to Amazon as I diverted several games to GS instead when the 50% bonus started.

Jodou - the BBV sale a few weeks back provided some pretty easy flips!

#27 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 09 June 2011 - 07:58 PM

Jodou - the BBV sale a few weeks back provided some pretty easy flips!

Yeah, BBV is dead here. Besides, I haven't set foot in a store in 5+ years.

JodouKastBizmuth.jpg

#28 io

io

Posted 09 June 2011 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, BBV is dead here. Besides, I haven't set foot in a store in 5+ years.

What do you mean dead here? While there are fewer stores, they are still pretty much everywhere (just maybe not so many per square mile as before ;)). If you haven't stepped foot in one in 5+ years then I don't think you really know if they are dead or not. I'd reconsider that as it has been one of the best places to get cheap used games (both for yourself and for flipping if you are into that sort of thing) over the last 2 years - not to mention the 99 cent DVDs and Blu-Rays they had this time around. There might be another B1G1 sale coming up on 4th of July weekend so I'd look into that if I were you.

#29 NOFX232

NOFX232

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:31 AM

How long does it usually take them to credit because mine have been delivered since Monday yet no gift card/word. I know a few times in the past they would do it later that night/next morning.

#30 Marker

Marker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2011 - 04:34 AM

I don't understand how they can expect people to send in original packaging for controllers. Those are usually in blister packages... nobody keeps those!

Back to Video Game Deals