Official Amazon Trade-In FAQ 4.0 - READ 1st POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3459 replies to this topic

#1381 casperinian

casperinian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

I would split them up as much as possible, if anything because that would make it easier to monitor tivs for a few days after you lock to see if tivs went up and cancel/resubmit if you could get a little more for your trade. I don't think there's any intrinsic risk in packing them all together though if that's what you prefer. You may want to take a couple pictures beforehand though just in case.

Yeah, the thought of the box getting lost is not a scenario I would handle very well. I guess between 5-10 shipments would be ideal if I want to combat losing everything in one swoop and making sure the TIV doesn't fluctuate. I don't see the TIV being an issue though because I stopped purchasing games like 7 months ago.

#1382 casperinian

casperinian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:17 AM

Or you can just sell them to me, pretty please :D

Another option is just to trade them to Best Buy, since they offer 50% bonus this week and then you can use the gift card to purchase amazon kindle cards. I imagine Best Buy should give more for your games than amazon especially if the games are on the lower end.

I've never traded in to Best Buy. They would offer me 50% bonus for the whole lot? I guess my next step would be to catalogue what I have and compare best buy and amazon. If you lived in NH we could probably work something out but I doubt there is a ton of people from here on the website(I can think of one other specifically although we have never talked or traded).

#1383 FlipSide

FlipSide

Made in the Philippines

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:30 AM

I've never traded in to Best Buy. They would offer me 50% bonus for the whole lot? I guess my next step would be to catalogue what I have and compare best buy and amazon. If you lived in NH we could probably work something out but I doubt there is a ton of people from here on the website(I can think of one other specifically although we have never talked or traded).

Here is the link to the BB trade in thread.. the 50% bonus is upto 1/7 only. http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=312640

Generally BB has lower trade-in values than Amazon, but recently values has gone down even more. I would suggest, if you are trading to Amazon, to limit it to 4-5 games per transaction.
Posted Image

#1384 casperinian

casperinian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

You are absolutely right Halo, probably sounded good in my head. Thanks for the link FlipSide.

#1385 Kendro

Kendro

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Does anybody have any experience with large trade-ins they could share with me. I am thinking about liquidating my PS3 collection and don't feel like selling each one on craigslist. I don't have anything particularly special so I expect to be not worth a ton anyway. The issue is that it is probably like 40 or 50 games. Break it up or ship it all? Would love some advice.

EDIT: Oh wow, some of these trade-in prices are pretty reasonable.

I listed a bundle of about 25 DS games on eBay and got roughly $250. This is with a lot of garbage like Brain Age, Star Fox Command, Final Fantasy III, and Meteos which has the Nintendo brand name but barely nets $1 from Amazon and GameStop. Amazon would have given me $20 since a lot of games like Brain Age was trading in for only 25 cents.

I would do two 25 game lots with a 7 day listing to give maximum exposure and list it as a $0.99 auction. I had about 30 watchers on the last few days and shipping only cost me $11 because I could fit all of the games in one USPS Flat Rate Box.

#1386 casperinian

casperinian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

My initial list is 66 games, Amazon averaged at 6.13 a game and Best Buy averaged 4.06 a game. If Best Buy's in store promotion gave me 50% bonus to my entire trade in then it might be worth it not to ship. The language on the website seems vague as it mentions game in the singular form. I still have some other games to make decisions on and some that I just don't see on my shelf but know are around here somewhere. Halo, I don't think anyone here will buy a big lot of games for 400 dollars. Craiglist would be ideal if I had infinite patience or time to deal with nickel and diming it out. Kendro, I have never sold on ebay so I would be a little wary of my ability to make a decent auction post and not have any issues with the buyer. I really appreciate everyone's feedback and hope will a little more research to have my decision.

#1387 edson13

edson13

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:39 PM

just do best buy, its an additional %50 for the total trade-in. And you also dont have to worry about amazon rejecting an item, as bestbuy takes in items, even if theyre not complete. Also, you should sign up for best buys unlocked program which is $15, but nets you an extra 10%. So an extra $12 for you, plus a year of coupons and magazines.

#1388 DudeImGodly

DudeImGodly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:12 PM

just do best buy, its an additional %50 for the total trade-in. And you also dont have to worry about amazon rejecting an item, as bestbuy takes in items, even if theyre not complete. Also, you should sign up for best buys unlocked program which is $15, but nets you an extra 10%. So an extra $12 for you, plus a year of coupons and magazines.

to also add to this,

At $4 a game and 66 games = $264 before bonuses + 50% = $396

If you get the unlocked membership +10% $422 - $15 = $407

At least this way there aren't any fees, and you get the $400 you wanted.

Since i rounded down you'll definitely receive more than what i posted here.

#1389 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:16 PM

If there are large fluctuations in some game values - ie. $20 at Amz, $10 at BB - I would separate them out.

#1390 Foladar

Foladar

Forum Guide: Contests/ Free Stuff

• Forum Moderator

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:47 PM

Same, I'd make an Excel sheet and see what the values are at each site to maximize your value.

Some trade values tanked overnight, like Rayman is down to $9.45 (from $29).

#1391 scarhawk

scarhawk

Really CHEAP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

Got my $111 from the AMF trade :D
http://home.bigcrumbs.com/nobody
Get a ton of cashback just for ordering stuff online. Click link to signup! It's super quick money straight to your Paypal! No minimum cashout fee
Current money earned from cashback: $88

#1392 DudeImGodly

DudeImGodly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:04 PM

Got my $111 from the AMF trade :D

you're welcome ;)

#1393 scarhawk

scarhawk

Really CHEAP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:22 PM

you're welcome ;)

8-)
http://home.bigcrumbs.com/nobody
Get a ton of cashback just for ordering stuff online. Click link to signup! It's super quick money straight to your Paypal! No minimum cashout fee
Current money earned from cashback: $88

#1394 DudeImGodly

DudeImGodly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

http://tivtrackr.com/ds

Problem with the TIV tracker..?

#1395 KtMack23

KtMack23

Retired from CAGing

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:25 AM

to also add to this,

At $4 a game and 66 games = $264 before bonuses + 50% = $396

If you get the unlocked membership +10% $422 - $15 = $407

At least this way there aren't any fees, and you get the $400 you wanted.

Since i rounded down you'll definitely receive more than what i posted here.

Plus the Best Buy credit is instant. You won't sit around for 5 days hopping your trades don't get smashed or stolen. And if you wanted you could buy amazon kindle cards and then have amazon credit if you don't like shopping at BB.

#1396 casperinian

casperinian

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:51 AM

Same, I'd make an Excel sheet and see what the values are at each site to maximize your value.

Some trade values tanked overnight, like Rayman is down to $9.45 (from $29).

I made one this morning and the results are pretty interesting. My lowest trade in value games at Amazon were higher at Best Buy. My higher end games for Amazon were much lower. I will probably have to use a hybrid approach. It's more work but I will make out better if I do it that way. Once I figure out what I am trading, I will determine whether or not to buy the $15 club and get the 10% extra. This is all contingent on confirming my best buy sells the kindle cards.

#1397 DudeImGodly

DudeImGodly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:02 AM

I made one this morning and the results are pretty interesting. My lowest trade in value games at Amazon were higher at Best Buy. My higher end games for Amazon were much lower. I will probably have to use a hybrid approach. It's more work but I will make out better if I do it that way. Once I figure out what I am trading, I will determine whether or not to buy the $15 club and get the 10% extra. This is all contingent on confirming my best buy sells the kindle cards.

they'll be wherever they have the tablets at if they do sell them.

#1398 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:19 AM

They were out of stock at my local ones for a while, but i spied a few yesterday (need to go back now with my $150 worth of xmas gift cards i would rather use at amz)

#1399 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:38 AM

Well amazon received my dragon box today. Let's see what happens.

#1400 whatup5

whatup5

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:14 AM

Well amazon received my dragon box today. Let's see what happens.

Good luck, man. Hope they accept it.

#1401 cthomer5000

cthomer5000

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:53 AM

Plus the Best Buy credit is instant. You won't sit around for 5 days hopping your trades don't get smashed or stolen. And if you wanted you could buy amazon kindle cards and then have amazon credit if you don't like shopping at BB.

Yeah, more people should be stressing that point. If Best Buy has the better deal for you, it's win/win. You can either keep the best buy credit, or easily convert it into Amazon credit.

#1402 donut

donut

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, more people should be stressing that point. If Best Buy has the better deal for you, it's win/win. You can either keep the best buy credit, or easily convert it into Amazon credit.

members should NOT stress this point as it will be removed as an option
"I'd bet ya dollars to donuts ..."

#1403 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:40 PM

members should NOT stress this point as it will be removed as an option

Why would it ever be removed? Amazon probably likes that you spend more spacebucks on their stuff when you buy kindle cards (so they'll probably never limit them to just kindle purchases), best buy likely gets a (small, meaningless) cut but I think if you want to sell kindles you probably are either required by amazon to have gift cards available or it's stupid not to get your (small, meaningless) cut to attach to the purchase.

besides all that, even if it requires a bit more effort you're better off using your best buy credit to buy actual games to trade back in to amazon anyways. It's been pretty trivial to accomplish that over the past couple months and end up very much on the plus side and with them running a b2g2 next week it's actually kinda wasteful to buy amazon gcs instead of games to trade in. and it actually helps support the program we all want to survive.

long story short, if it gets removed as an option we'll be fine just like always. I hope best buy tightens up their trade in program a bit more like amazon and gamestop have so we can be sure it'll be around and enjoy a long happy life.

MildObstruction.png

#1404 DarkRider23

DarkRider23

hates hoarders

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:02 PM

Why would it ever be removed? Amazon probably likes that you spend more spacebucks on their stuff when you buy kindle cards (so they'll probably never limit them to just kindle purchases), best buy likely gets a (small, meaningless) cut but I think if you want to sell kindles you probably are either required by amazon to have gift cards available or it's stupid not to get your (small, meaningless) cut to attach to the purchase.

It will be removed because it's a bad deal for BBY. Why would Best Buy want you to spend a gift card to buy a Kindle gift card? They are sending away their customers to their competition. That's just stupid. Once stores realize they have this loophole open it, they will close it. BBV did it a while ago and almost no other store allows you to buy gift cards with their gift cards.

#1405 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:24 PM

2x fifa 11 accepted for a total of $40.20
2x Transformers dark of the moon 360 accepted for a total of $35.10
1x Dirt 3 360 accepted for $24.30
1x Dirt 3 PS3 accepted for $24.30

Only thing left is the Brand New Dragon Box 4 which I submitted for $556. I'll probably find out tomorrow. I'll pee my pants in school tomorrow if it happens.

#1406 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:15 AM

updated fp with link to Wii trade-in promo. pretty slick if you're in the market to swap consoles.

MildObstruction.png

#1407 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:29 AM

2x fifa 11 accepted for a total of $40.20
2x Transformers dark of the moon 360 accepted for a total of $35.10
1x Dirt 3 360 accepted for $24.30
1x Dirt 3 PS3 accepted for $24.30

Only thing left is the Brand New Dragon Box 4 which I submitted for $556. I'll probably find out tomorrow. I'll pee my pants in school tomorrow if it happens.

You should consider peeing your pants at home before you go to school just in case.

MildObstruction.png

#1408 SpartenOmega117

SpartenOmega117

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

You should consider peeing your pants at home before you go to school just in case.

haha! Hopefully everything works out.

#1409 r00kie

r00kie

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:15 AM

In case anyone was wondering , I have had games I sent in with just the disc(no case or instructions) accepted as acceptable. This includes DS PSP Wii and 360 games. Whenever there is an outrageous trade in value I always lock them in with the Do Not Return Items option because the acceptable is usually still a positive flip when transfering credit from Gamestop to amazon(ie: all those terrible DS/Wii games last month that traded in for $30, most had an acceptable value of about $24 with the lowest usually around $21)

#1410 nas6034

nas6034

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:21 AM

Took my 2x each of thrillville ($30) and world of outlaw ($27). Was scared they weren't going to take it cause of disc conditions.

Have 2x AC:Revelations pending. Submitted under a different UPC number. Let's see how that goes.

Also traded in RB 3($20) and 2x beatles rockband from the B1G2 gs deal $15/18 ---> $51