Photo
- - - - -

Official Amazon Trade-In FAQ 4.0 - READ 1st POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3459 replies to this topic

#2221 io

io

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

Is it just me, or has the Amazon trade program become borderline dishonest in the last 6-7 months?

The past 2 books and 1 gameswith high TIVs I sent were returned as unacceptable. What on earth does 'cracked disk' mean with an almost brand new game?

It means they probably cracked it when yanking it out of the case to check it. Look at the inner ring for a hairline crack when you get it back.

And there has always been some shadiness (or at least some level of incompetance) to the program - in that a large number of things have been cracked or broken that were not sent in that way. I've experienced it myself, but it is certainly nothing new in the last 6-7 months. I haven't sent in anything in a month or two but I have had no problems so far this year. I thought they were getting better, in fact, from 1-2 years ago.

#2222 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:29 AM

It means they probably cracked it when yanking it out of the case to check it. Look at the inner ring for a hairline crack when you get it back.

And there has always been some shadiness (or at least some level of incompetance) to the program - in that a large number of things have been cracked or broken that were not sent in that way. I've experienced it myself, but it is certainly nothing new in the last 6-7 months. I haven't sent in anything in a month or two but I have had no problems so far this year. I thought they were getting better, in fact, from 1-2 years ago.

Yeah, we also saw the old "incorrect item" stuff occur quite frequently on games that had plummeting TIVs. This is the one area where best buy shines in comparison to Amazon and Gamestop - not only are you there when they inspect your games so that you can witness the removal of the games from the cases, but the inspectors also aren't (borderline) obligated to throw in some random refurb fees.

#2223 io

io

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:35 AM

Yeah, we also saw the old "incorrect item" stuff occur quite frequently on games that had plummeting TIVs. This is the one area where best buy shines in comparison to Amazon and Gamestop - not only are you there when they inspect your games so that you can witness the removal of the games from the cases, but the inspectors also aren't (borderline) obligated to throw in some random refurb fees.

Well, no, for me Best Buy is a non-entity since I was banned for trading without explanation for crossing some unknown threshold at some random point. And it happened well after I did the bulk of my trading last Fall so that was kind of annoying. I did my first trade in over a month end of Dec. no problem then in Jan. I found out I was banned. I guess I should call the number but I just never feel like dealing with it, so I pretend Best Buy doesn't have a trade-in program any more. As a result, I've completely stopped preordering there and shopping there in general except for the occasional Deal of the Day. It would have been so much better for them simply to limit trades (if that was the problem) at the kiosk level rather than blanket ban.

So in that respect Amazon and GS are 1000's of times better than Best Buy. I've traded probably 10x as much to GS over the years as I ever did to Best Buy without any fear of being banned with no explanation. (Yes, you can get banned from GS trading but it has to be from uber-abuse such as trading in 30-40 HDMI cables over a few days like a certain CAG ;)). And Amazon handles it they way they should - if you've traded 2 copies of a game, they don't take any more! Wow, what a novel approach to dealing with that potential problem. You'd think maybe Best Buy could have implemented that given they started taking trades well after Amazon's program was in place.

#2224 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:51 AM

Well, no, for me Best Buy is a non-entity since I was banned for trading without explanation for crossing some unknown threshold at some random point. And it happened well after I did the bulk of my trading last Fall so that was kind of annoying. I did my first trade in over a month end of Dec. no problem then in Jan. I found out I was banned. I guess I should call the number but I just never feel like dealing with it, so I pretend Best Buy doesn't have a trade-in program any more. As a result, I've completely stopped preordering there and shopping there in general except for the occasional Deal of the Day. It would have been so much better for them simply to limit trades (if that was the problem) at the kiosk level rather than blanket ban.

So in that respect Amazon and GS are 1000's of times better than Best Buy. I've traded probably 10x as much to GS over the years as I ever did to Best Buy without any fear of being banned with no explanation. (Yes, you can get banned from GS trading but it has to be from uber-abuse such as trading in 30-40 HDMI cables over a few days like a certain CAG ;)). And Amazon handles it they way they should - if you've traded 2 copies of a game, they don't take any more! Wow, what a novel approach to dealing with that potential problem. You'd think maybe Best Buy could have implemented that given they started taking trades well after Amazon's program was in place.

I'm also banned at Best Buy - although the wife isn't ;) and the employees find that amusing. In fact when I called the number, the nice representative suggested having someone else do my trades. She also told me that they were 1 year bans that were not automatically lifted so I would have to call to get it removed. Maybe it's just the lawyer in me but in my opinion a "1 year ban" that doesn't get removed automatically is not a 1 year ban, it's an indefinite ban. Oh best buy you crack me up.

Having noted the above, I was really only referring to the cross your fingers after shipping to Amazon aspect of the trade in. I completely agree with you io, Best Buy needed to do far better than they did with explaining the banning or implementing a prospective (rather than reflective) approach to banning people. I posted previously that a warning email would have been the way to go. It would have been a sort of C&D letter. Anyway, I don't want to clutter up the thread with OT stuff, but going back to the poster's original issue - I definitely found a shadiness to Amazon's inspection procedures in my experiences.

#2225 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:57 AM

Is it just me, or has the Amazon trade program become borderline dishonest in the last 6-7 months?

The past 2 books and 1 gameswith high TIVs I sent were returned as unacceptable. What on earth does 'cracked disk' mean with an almost brand new game?

It's just you. I've had no problems with them except for a lost package but that was UPS's fault.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories. Incompetence, yes. Willful destruction, no.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#2226 IAmTheCheapestGamer

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:00 AM

The only time Amazons'(or rather NorAm's) inspection process was shady to me was when I tried exploiting the same glitched tiv's as other CAG's that many on CAG received full credits for. I ended up having to get promotional credits applied to my account later on after arguing the condition of both items I sent in.

Albeit I'm sure bgame2 is probably talking about when they deny a regular trade by saying it's too scratched or whatever, then when you receive the game(s) back they're in mint condition still.

i added a link to more wang pics. yu wang i mean not wang wang as in penis.

Sarcasm-Just one of the many services I offer.
Posted Image

#2227 esalw822

esalw822

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 06:39 AM

It's just you. I've had no problems with them except for a lost package but that was UPS's fault.

I've never been one for conspiracy theories. Incompetence, yes. Willful destruction, no.

This.

I trade in a pretty decent amount of stuff to Amazon and I've never had a single issue. This includes random items with ridiculously high TIVs and games that could have easily been denied for one reason or another (cart-only, BB exclusive, etc.). Never had a single issue, damaged item, or rejection.

Luck of the draw, I guess?

#2228 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:51 AM

That's just how they are in general. When it comes to accepting high TIV items, it all depends on who you get when your items arrive and are inspected. Those opportunites are alot more rare now days and its not a guaranteed win even if you lock in prices ie Ben 10, Family Party Fitness, My Horse and Me from a few months ago.
...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#2229 bgame2

bgame2

Pure Cag Smoothness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 11:17 AM

To provide some detail into what my most troubling issue was:

I had an item delivered via UPS. After 5/6 days of the item not being checked in I contacted Amazon. Amazon contacted Noram (at least they told me they did) and then suddenly later that day the item was marked as "damaged". I again contacted Amazon in a fury asking why after 6 days I was just now being notified that it was damaged. Amazon did not know, but they were kind enough to request specific information from the "report". At that point (next day) the status changed to "Item lost in shipping". I think you can figure out how well I accepted that.

Let's be clear Amazon gave me my money and a promotional credit (after I sent an email summarizing the chain of events). That said, I had at least 5 "incorrect items" and another 5 "damaged items" over a 1 year span. The damaged were all returned to me in horrendous shape (1 of which was not even my item -generic cover on a game that I sent brand new). The incorrect items were all the items I sent - the last 3 of which matched the Amazon UPC's (I never checked the first two).

There are the two entities: Amazon and Noram. Is Amazon shady? Hell no. Is Noram shady? Speaking from my personal experiences only, yes.

Your results have obviously varied.

#2230 Japakneez

Japakneez

You are big foo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:43 PM

Should probably be a class action lawsuit against noram

#2231 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

Your results have obviously varied.

It's still important to reiterate once in a while that things like this _do_ happen, and that it is wildly varied (and really just luck of the draw). I suspect that in reality noram isn't really that shady, but maybe sometimes they get employees that steal / are overly careless tossing packages / etc or managers that are equally careless but don't want to get in trouble so they cover up / lie / reject. Who knows.

I actually understand the incorrect item stuff for the overblown tivs - if I were noram I'd be annoyed that Amazon's system wasn't preventing Barbie Horse Magic Unicorn Time :ds: from hitting a $500 tiv too. They appear to have fixed the magic tiv calculator which I had hoped would increase the overall reliability of noram, but it seems to be about the same as it ever was.

That said, I've probably traded in over $4000 in stuff over the past few years and have had at most 3 or 4 things sent back unfairly and one trade-in shipment that vanished entirely after it was received. That's a pretty good track record for anything like this imo.

#2232 phantomfriar2002

phantomfriar2002

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:55 PM

I've been trading for a couple of years now and have only had incidents in the last couple of months.

One of them was really irritating -- I had a factory sealed DVD that I traded in new, which they opened and the returned to me in a now-smashed case as an "Unauthorized Copy," which was just total BS. An outright lie.

I also had a used OOP DVD that was worth $33 -- only had one release, ever -- and they returned that with the tag "Incorrect Edition." There was NO OTHER edition, ever!

I complained to Amazon CSR and they gave me the full credit on the first one, and a $5 credit on the second. I do believe either both were incompetence or an actual, intended attempt to not pay out the value of the item. The rationale for the rejection was totally wrong, not to mention when they opened the first DVD I traded in, it would never be worth the same amount because it was no longer sealed! I didn't have much of a problem there when I complained about it, between that and the damage it was no longer in the same condition when I sent it.

#2233 handsomepete

handsomepete

Posted 31 May 2012 - 02:59 PM

I've been trading for a couple of years now and have only had incidents in the last couple of months.

One of them was really irritating -- I had a factory sealed DVD that I traded in new, which they opened and the returned to me in a now-smashed case as an "Unauthorized Copy," which was just total BS. An outright lie.

I also had a used OOP DVD that was worth $33 -- only had one release, ever -- and they returned that with the tag "Incorrect Edition." There was NO OTHER edition, ever!

I complained to Amazon CSR and they gave me the full credit on the first one, and a $5 credit on the second. I do believe either both were incompetence or an actual, intended attempt to not pay out the value of the item. The rationale for the rejection was totally wrong, not to mention when they opened the first DVD I traded in, it would never be worth the same amount because it was no longer sealed! I didn't have much of a problem there when I complained about it, between that and the damage it was no longer in the same condition when I sent it.

Taking in new condition DVDs / Blus was an asinine step I wish they would reverse. Obviously too prone to problems both in terms of fraud and verification.

#2234 Confucius

Confucius

Corporate Shill

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:16 PM

The thing with the ridiculous high TIVs thing is that they have in their T&Cs that they can reject for incorrect pricing or pricing errors (last I checked) so they don't have to do something so stupid as to smash your case or crack you disc. They can simply say "pricing error - see our terms" and be done with it.

I 100% can believe they have incompetent employees that don't know as much about video games or that carelessly break your stuff. I can even believe they have some asshole employees that reject stuff for shits and giggles. But conspiracy theories of management issuing some sort of directive to damage high TIV games deliberately makes me laugh. Why do something you have no need to do?

Anyway, whats up with the random no Trade in of the Days anymore? I check it every morning and lately it's been missing on some days.

Ees7Y.jpg

I'm 100% shocked that books still exist in today's day and age. I thought they'd be out by now. They make up like 1% of today's entertainment and unless you're 60 or older, stray away from books and start emersing yourself with real entertainment.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Codes for Free / Codes for Trade

#2235 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:04 PM

Skyrim PS3 $30
Prototype 2 PS3 $25

#2236 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

The thing with the ridiculous high TIVs thing is that they have in their T&Cs that they can reject for incorrect pricing or pricing errors (last I checked) so they don't have to do something so stupid as to smash your case or crack you disc. They can simply say "pricing error - see our terms" and be done with it.

That's why they come off as a shady operation, to me. They have a legal way out and still reject items with some bs excuse like "wrong edition" "incorrect item".

What I really don't like is how they crack your discs while taking them out for inspection and don't take the responsibility for it. In the last year I sent in a box set of HD DVDs (yeah I know they aren't worth much but it's the principle of it), that were returned as cracked discs. 4 of the 6 were cracked by them. The set's disc box was a cardboard one that used these gel/rubber sweet tart shaped cylinders to hold the discs. Patience was needed to remove disc from these holders. A few of the discs were sent back with cracks that extended far into the data portions of the disc.

I can't complain really and just suck up quite a few of my losses these days because I've gotten so many things form these "flips".

Edited by shrike4242, 11 June 2012 - 04:40 AM.

...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#2237 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

Sent in 6 games and 1 blu.

They accepted 4 games and the blu. The other two games are now listed as expired! I asked for then to be retuned but haven't. What do I do?

#2238 coopscohen

coopscohen

All Skill, No Luck

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:16 AM

Sent in 6 games and 1 blu.

They accepted 4 games and the blu. The other two games are now listed as expired! I asked for then to be retuned but haven't. What do I do?

I've had this happen to me twice. I contacted customer service and they ended up giving me promo credit for the trade in amount for the items that weren't accepted and "couldn't be located."

#2239 WV Matsui

WV Matsui

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:35 AM

I've had this happen to me twice. I contacted customer service and they ended up giving me promo credit for the trade in amount for the items that weren't accepted and "couldn't be located."

Just worried my account would be flagged

#2240 KingofOldSchool

KingofOldSchool

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Errr Batman Arkham City GOTY for the 360 is not listed, but the PS3 is. I hope they hurry up and add it.
Posted Image

http://www.yourfree3....php?ref=272112

Sign up under me a receive FREE X-Box 360 games. You can get CoD: Black Ops, Rock Band 3, Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, and MORE!

#2241 zeronotyethero

zeronotyethero

A Muthaf***ing Bunny

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:35 AM

I've only had to contact customer service on one or two different occasions concerning issues with a trade in which the item had been damaged in transit or from Amazon. Granted I've traded in quite a few items, but it annoyed me to no end when they sent my item(s) back with a huge slit from a box opener/utility knife and then stated that these items were "damaged" so they had no option but to deny my trade-in.:roll:

As a result, I am a bit hesitant in dealing with Amazon's trade in service and contemplate whether it's worth it or not before making any decisions to trade in items to Amazon.

At the moment I have some textbooks locked in for trade, but I just don't know if it is worth the possible hassle that I've experienced in the past.

"Put some hot sauce on my burrito baby!"
adf.jpg

#2242 brauma

brauma

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:21 AM

Anyone know a cheap way to get boxes? Cost me 3.50 to buy a freaking box to trade in a game I got 20.25 for opposed to 16.80 at Best Buy. Really not even worth the hassle for $0.50.

#2243 Sway

Sway

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:25 AM

Anyone know a cheap way to get boxes? Cost me 3.50 to buy a freaking box to trade in a game I got 20.25 for opposed to 16.80 at Best Buy. Really not even worth the hassle for $0.50.

If you're trading in a single game you can just use a padded envelope. I know this won't help but ever since I got Amazon Prime I've been somewhat overwhelmed with boxes/padded envelopes.

#2244 akir

akir

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:37 AM

dumpster dive at a liquor store

#2245 klimb22

klimb22

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Use the flat rate boxes from the post office. Just assemble them inside out. They will have the USPS markings on them but that's fine.

#2246 evanwink

evanwink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:34 PM

Use the flat rate boxes from the post office. Just assemble them inside out. They will have the USPS markings on them but that's fine.

This does not work. At least not for most people. In fact, I was at the PO the other day and they wouldn't ship a package from a woman that was wrapped in brown paper because they could tell it was a flat rate box size. She said it was a previously used box, but they said even that wasn't allowed.

Edited by evanwink, 11 June 2012 - 04:08 PM.
I'm dumb, this isn't the WHD thread!

#2247 scblueeyedguy

scblueeyedguy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

This does not work. At least not for most people. In fact, I was at the PO the other day and they wouldn't ship a package from a woman that was wrapped in brown paper because they could tell it was a flat rate box size. She said it was a previously used box, but they said even that wasn't allowed.

Amazon uses UPS so they don't care if it's a USPS flat box. Buy cheap boxes at Walmart.

#2248 slowdive21

slowdive21

CAG Hoarder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Go to a dollar store and ask them to save you some boxes. Candy boxes are heavy duty and amazon pays the shipping, so weight isn't a problem.

#2249 evanwink

evanwink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

Amazon uses UPS so they don't care if it's a USPS flat box. Buy cheap boxes at Walmart.

Good point, I wasn't thinking about it being UPS, so I guess that would work. Still theft, though.

#2250 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

Wal-Mart has really cheap boxes...the ones I used for selling movies and games cost like 50 cents.