Photo
- - - - -

Official Amazon Trade-In FAQ 4.0 - READ 1st POST

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3459 replies to this topic

#2791 io

io

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

...and still ship 25 days after the 7 day period.

It is well established that you have 25 days to get it to them (not ship). So, yeah, generally you can ship at least a few days after the 7 day deadline, depending on where you live. For me it is 8-9 days shipping via UPS so I tend not to push it. People who live in Ohio or Kentucky can probably wait 20 days. Though I think we have heard of them expiring while they were still processing. So it is a good idea to make it 20 days in case there is a 4-5 day processing time. But even with all that, a few days after the 7-day deadline is OK.

I know someone tried to tell you this earlier and you didn't believe them, but we've been doing this for a long time and that is the way it has always worked.

#2792 needler420

needler420

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:17 AM

It is well established that you have 25 days to get it to them (not ship). So, yeah, generally you can ship at least a few days after the 7 day deadline, depending on where you live. For me it is 8-9 days shipping via UPS so I tend not to push it. People who live in Ohio or Kentucky can probably wait 20 days ;).

I know someone tried to tell you this earlier and you didn't believe them, but we've been doing this for a long time and that is the way it has always worked.

Yeah but that just means you're getting lucky. No where on amazon does it say you have 25 days. It says you have 7 days to please post.

Everyones rejection isn't going to happen at the same time. Some people will get rejected for being a week late. And others will pass for being 2 weeks late.

Again that 25 day period to ship was literally pulled from the air. I think a few people shipped a few weeks late and they accepted and you guys honor that like the constitution.

There is no official time that amazon states they have to recieve it by.

That's as far I read. If there is an offical time then shut me up. The most I can find is the please post by 7 days. Which means send by not an offical recieve date.

Edited by needler420, 26 September 2012 - 05:32 AM.

needler420.png

#2793 maximumzero

maximumzero

Seriously, quit it.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:37 AM

Anybody got burned by recent trades due to this?

My brother-in-law gave me a stack of PSX and PS2 games that he wanted to get rid of, and I ended up giving a bunch away over at the Penny-Arcade forums.

After around a month and people stopped requesting copies, I traded in what I could before dropping the rest off at the local thrift store.

One of those games I traded in was Road Rash.

I got 80 cents.

It now has a trade-in value of $30.

Kill me. Lol.

#2794 DeliveryPizza

DeliveryPizza

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:45 AM

Seems like some decent stuff in this lot if anyone wants to take the plunge.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e72af703e

I love how there is a copy of Gorillaz Demon Days CD in the right stack

#2795 silkysmooth

silkysmooth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:11 AM

Really sad right now that I'm thinking about trading in Smash Bros and Mario Kart Double Dash with bonus disc. Other than Mario Golf and Mario Tennis, those are the last two games I have. I never play my gamecube anymore. I never owned many games for it and most of them were Mario games.

But $30 credit each for games I never play and haven't played in such a long time is hard to pass up.

I might even just keep an eye out to see if the other Mario sports titles spike in value because Mario Kart Double Dash with bonus disc was sitting pretty low at the start of all this.

Also found the manuals for the GBA games I'm sending in. Even if they don't get me better value it will be less clutter around my place.

Also I'm thinking if I do get this stuff traded in and get credit that I'm going to have a nice black friday.

#2796 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Forgive me if this has been asked, Resident Evil 2 for PS1 - there are two TIV's shown and I know better than to go by the cover art they use.

http://www.amazon.co...dent evil 2 ps1

Will they accept either version for the $30 TIV? And what if I send it disc-only?

Their RE2 listing doesn't even make sense, as far as I know the upc doesn't match either black label version in my possession (the dual shock and "win a part in the movie" versions)
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2797 Indigo_Streetlight

Indigo_Streetlight

East Coast Scum

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

So does anyone here think Amazon will skip town once they've received a couple trillion dollars worth of games? Maybe they'll pass them off to Gamestop, who will be acting as the underworld fence, eh?
The Asylum leads the eyes of those pursued by gaming madness...

#2798 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

the artist formerly known as pete not pete

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

I go to sleep for one measly night and everyone gets all wonky. Yeesh.

RE:Survivor is back up for whoever missed it earlier. Also one or two new ones snuck up to $30.

MildObstruction.png

#2799 PapaSmerf

PapaSmerf

Central Scrutinizer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for the info on values going back up io. Just locked in RE Survivor for $30.

#2800 esalw822

esalw822

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

The benefit of what doubt? Do you enjoy instigating disruptive posts or something?

I actually stated a valid point with the mod. You're playing suck up.

He's not instigating. Io tried to tell you that there's a hard-limit 25 day period for trades. You're right that it's not listed anywhere on Amazon (only the 7 day mailing period is mentioned), but it exists. You don't have to take io's word for it (or mine, or any of us cracking jokes because we've been doing this fairly extensively and fairly regularly for a pretty long time).

Open a trade on Amazon. Doesn't matter what game. Doesn't matter if you print the label. Doesn't matter if you send it in. The system will automatically cancel out that trade on the 25th day no matter what stage in the process the trade is at. Everything else up to that 25 day period is gravy. You'll be fine. This is an experiment you can conduct/verify yourself. No getting lucky or pulling anything out of thin air required.

And the Amazon TIVs aren't based on "monopolizing the value" but rather on an algorithm they use that factors in their selling price of an item and how many trades they're getting of that item (among other things I'm sure). That's why the games with weird/high spikes in value (and this has happened a lot of times before this current "old gen" game spike) also usually have abnormally high listing prices and the values tank when too many trades are locked-in.

I think you might be giving Amazon and their trade-in corporation partners a little too much credit and assigning a little too much human perspective/thought/foresight into a system controlled largely by a computer algorithm. These same spikes happen to Wii shovelware (some Unicorn and Magic Carnival games netted like $60 a piece back in the day, along with some $40 NDS Fireman game) and these were games that were/are readily available at GS and other places for dirt cheap. They weren't rare, they weren't valuable. And they never sold for anywhere close to the amount of trade-in credit we got for them at the time.

It's a glitch, but more a reoccurring glitch in the system rather than a temporary glitch currently assigned to just these "old gen" games. Best to take advantage of them when/if you can.

#2801 CGH

CGH

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

Seems intentonal week of wiiu iphone 5 ipod touch 5 preorders to much coincidence.

He's not instigating. Io tried to tell you that there's a hard-limit 25 day period for trades. You're right that it's not listed anywhere on Amazon (only the 7 day mailing period is mentioned), but it exists. You don't have to take io's word for it (or mine, or any of us cracking jokes because we've been doing this fairly extensively and fairly regularly for a pretty long time).

Open a trade on Amazon. Doesn't matter what game. Doesn't matter if you print the label. Doesn't matter if you send it in. The system will automatically cancel out that trade on the 25th day no matter what stage in the process the trade is at. Everything else up to that 25 day period is gravy. You'll be fine. This is an experiment you can conduct/verify yourself. No getting lucky or pulling anything out of thin air required.

And the Amazon TIVs aren't based on "monopolizing the value" but rather on an algorithm they use that factors in their selling price of an item and how many trades they're getting of that item (among other things I'm sure). That's why the games with weird/high spikes in value (and this has happened a lot of times before this current "old gen" game spike) also usually have abnormally high listing prices and the values tank when too many trades are locked-in.

I think you might be giving Amazon and their trade-in corporation partners a little too much credit and assigning a little too much human perspective/thought/foresight into a system controlled largely by a computer algorithm. These same spikes happen to Wii shovelware (some Unicorn and Magic Carnival games netted like $60 a piece back in the day, along with some $40 NDS Fireman game) and these were games that were/are readily available at GS and other places for dirt cheap. They weren't rare, they weren't valuable. And they never sold for anywhere close to the amount of trade-in credit we got for them at the time.

It's a glitch, but more a reoccurring glitch in the system rather than a temporary glitch currently assigned to just these "old gen" games. Best to take advantage of them when/if you can.

Currently playing
:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

:3ds: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

:3ds: Super Mario 3D Land

#2802 CGH

CGH

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

I sent in black label dual shock ed they sent my $30 my wavebird w/receiver no box rejected second bundle of gba gbc snes games accepted waiting on eight bundles I sent out.

It's weird. They have RE:2(PS1) for a couple bucks, then they have the greatest hits version for $30. I picked the GH, but I'm trading in the original. We'll see what happens!

Currently playing
:wiiu: Mario Kart 8

:3ds: Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon

:3ds: Super Mario 3D Land

#2803 NiiNJA

NiiNJA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

is it just me or are pretty much no ps2 game values messed up? i've checked numerous times and they never seem to fluctuate like xbox/gamecube and older systems.

#2804 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

is it just me or are pretty much no ps2 game values messed up? i've checked numerous times and they never seem to fluctuate like xbox/gamecube and older systems.

Yeah, I only sent in N64, NES, SNES, PS1, and Gamecube games. They are becoming popular again, PS2 was just too mass produced and isn't old enough to be "retro" yet.

631840.png

#2805 NiiNJA

NiiNJA

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

alright cool, not even going to bother checking my ps2 games anymore.

and lol i just tried to combine two orders i had already locked in so i could save a box for shipping and watched the value of my 2 copies of the original crash plummet from 30 to 2.50 while i tried to do so. hope they go back up!

and i should note, when searching crash on amazon it comes up as 30 still (which is why i made the switch, i had checked all of the locked in games) but then once you click to trade it, it only registers at 2.50

#2806 K_G

K_G

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

It has been going on too long for this.

As you point out, previous spikes were short lived, which means the system has checks to prevent it from going out of control/flagging stuff for human review. This has been going on for over a week and it is also only happening on older systems, not PS2 and newer systems. You are also assuming that the system is only for amazon's own selling efforts and not doesn't involve 3rd parties using amazon. I think Gamestop is behind this. All the games jumping up in values are from systems that GS doesn't carry anymore (gamecube stuff is/all but phased out at GS nowadays). Nothing crazy is going on with current gen games.

They've said they want to start a vintage game division
http://www.theverge....p-vintage-store

And while it might seem crazy for GS to use a competitor's trade in service, keep this in mind. Vintage games are unproven and, at best, will be a minor sideline business for GS, so it is unlikely they would choose to muck up their systems for the main business to handle vintage game trade ins.

If you were to start a vintage game retailer, how would you get the merch to start off?
1) You could hiring a staff to deal with 1000s of ebay auctions over some not short period of time .
2) You could hire a bunch of people and spend a lot of money building infrastructure for some sort of amazon like mail in trade in business for a yet to be proven new business.
3) or you could just use amazon's trade in system to get enough inventory to get the ball rolling enough to get the business off the ground. Once they have enough inventory/the business seems like it might work, they'll probably set up their own trade in by mail service.

While there have been some odd ball pricing (MTV music Generator for the PS1), most of the high values are on games/series with known demand (Mario games, JRPGs, star wars) based on either nostalgia or actual rarity (cubivore).

As to how this can work economically, I suspect that GS will do VGA lite grading system to appeal to collectors...so for all those disk only Silent Hill 1 they getting for $21 of amazon credit, GS will grade it and repackage them and sell it for $40 and for the black label complete Silent Hill they get for $30, they'll put in a sealed graded package and sell for $80.

Now this is all a guess on my part, but for these trade values to be this high on a relatively selective batch of games for this long is unlikely to be from some unplanned effort.

#2807 Toss

Toss

i love clearance ...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Interesting post...your idea was laid out well and makes sense.

Edit: was trying to contrast and encourage intelligent posts responding to my inquiry for "any ideas" vs some of the gibberish being posted in this thread recently

Edited by Toss, 27 September 2012 - 07:55 AM.

...and my dogs

LOOSE LIPS SINK (FL)IPS

#2808 NSpectreGarrus

NSpectreGarrus

CAGosaurus Rex!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

As long as they only trade retro games on their website, I don't think that would be too bad. If they start accepting trade-ins in-store however, I think the second-hand market will dry up quick of retro games. At least in my area, most people don't use the internet for trading/selling games, so they sell in a yard sale or give to Goodwill.

631840.png

#2809 PublikDefender

PublikDefender

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

It has been going on too long for this.

CEO Raines said, "But we've got to be a destination for gamers where, for cool stuff for gaming, you've got to go to Gamestop."

Now that's funny!

#2810 evanwink

evanwink

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

The longevity of this makes me wonder, but I still think it is a glitch. From what I've seen, it is only games with a new copy at a high price that are getting the high values (or games that are just plain worth a lot. e.g. Valkyrie Profile).

Anyway, I thought I'd post some results I've gotten, and answer a question I posted earlier in the thread: Yes, you do get an email when the trade goes through. I've now had two packages go through processing...

Donald Duck- Goin' Quackers! 1 Unacceptable $0.00 Returned (this was a former rental, I'm not surprised)
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect 1 Good - Pending (didn't have in collection so didn't send in)
Wario World 1 Acceptable (Condition Revised) $16.45 Gift Card Deposited (didn't have manual)
Diddy Kong Racing 1 Good - Pending
GoldenEye 007 1 Good - Pending
Castlevania 64 1 Good - Pending
Total 6 $16.45

later I received another email on same package:

Donald Duck- Goin' Quackers! 1 Unacceptable $0.00 Returned
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect 1 Good - Pending
Wario World 1 Acceptable (Condition Revised) $16.45 Gift Card Deposited
Diddy Kong Racing 1 Acceptable (Condition Revised) $21.00 Gift Card Deposited
GoldenEye 007 1 Acceptable (Condition Revised) $21.00 Gift Card Deposited
Castlevania 64 1 Acceptable (Condition Revised) $21.00 Gift Card Deposited
Total 6 $79.45

These N64 games were cart-only, and I didn't mean to select 'good', but it reset to that when I added another game and I didn't catch it before submitting.

Oddworld Abe's Oddysee 1 Good $30.00 Gift Card Deposited
Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus 1 Good $30.00 Gift Card Deposited
Spyro the Dragon 1 Good $30.00 Gift Card Deposited
Road Rash 1 Good $30.00 Gift Card Deposited
Riven: The Sequel To Myst 1 Good $30.00 Gift Card Deposited
Elmo's Number Journey 1 Good - Pending
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back 1 Good - Pending
Red Dead Revolver 1 Good $30.00 Gift Card Deposited
Total 8 $180.00

Not sure what is up with the two pending, but I may not have sent in Crash 2 since I pulled all this from my collection and wasn't certain what all I had before locking in. I'll have to check the pics I snapped before boxing up. Either way, I'm pretty dang thrilled! (and have several more still processing!!)

#2811 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

Yep, things started cashing in for me today too. I am pleased by this thing they're doing.

p.s. Buffy's back up

MildObstruction.png

#2812 JKSonic

JKSonic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

Am I just missing it, or do they not take Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS? I know Best Buy doesn't take it, already tried...and looks like GS is only offering $11 for it.

233526.png

www.kulhaphotography.com (abandoned houses, portraits, etc)

www.abstractedrealism.com (boudoir, pinup)

#2813 Pookymeister

Pookymeister

I like almonds

• Super Moderators

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:25 PM

3 packages delivered today. got a nice Amazon wish list ready for if these start going through for me, - new pc here i come.

#2814 silkysmooth

silkysmooth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Finding boxes and manuals for games you are trading in is very fun and very nice. Hoping they will take my acceptable stuff and bump it up to good because it's coming complete.

#2815 guyver2077

guyver2077

CAG Original

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

ughh.. starting to see alot of the value drop :(

most of the xbox stuff no longer at $30

the tiv tracker site seems to not be up to date even though it says last updated a few hours ago

1080i is for douchebags

#2816 ghozt

ghozt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

yup was too late with some of my xbox games. looks like everything is tanking. went through some psx/n64 and they are all low.

#2817 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Yep, things started cashing in for me today too. I am pleased by this thing they're doing.

p.s. Buffy's back up

My girlfriend and I both had things cash in on our accounts today...no shocker that all the values have tanked.

Looks like the dream has died.

Edited by irishsoccermbw, 26 September 2012 - 09:08 PM.

#2818 Artrigis

Artrigis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

Yeah, the most expensive TIV I see now is a Gamecube windwaker at $12, I think it has ended.

Now that its over. Here is what I got:
2nd batch
gba Power rangers wild force 15.20:hot:
n64 Pokemon snap 13.75
gba Harry Potter Chamber Sec 5.15
snes Donkey Kong 2 21.00
gbc Mario Bros Deluxe 21.00

1st batch
all gamecube
nhl hitz 2002 6.70:hot:
king arthur 4.00
Lego star wars 1.70
NFS Hot pursuit 5.75
nba street 2 6.00
Tony Hawk Underground 1.95
CoD Big Red 6.10
Sonic Mega Collection 5.90
King Kong 4.00
DK jungle beat 5.30
nba live 2005 2.55
fifa street 2 5.90
LOTR return of king 2.40

Total around 130. Plan on rebuying DKC 2... and no idea what to do with the rest lol. Maybe upgrade from my measly 20gb xbox hard drive. I pretty much consider this free money, most of what I traded in is regarded as trash games that id have trouble selling at a decent price.
Had a CIB black gamecube, was hoping the TIV would be matched to the platinum GC which was at $80. But unfortunately no time as this ended =(

Question: Is there any way Amazon would argue these TIV's and give me less than what was promised to me now that everything has plummeted? I know they could just deny the trade ins though for any reason. Just don't want them to give me the new values on TIV and keep the games.

Edited by Artrigis, 26 September 2012 - 09:28 PM.

#2819 irishsoccermbw

irishsoccermbw

Prosecution Rests

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:28 PM

Just had another group 'accepted' AFTER the values dropped, so there's still hope for those of us who had locked stuff in.

#2820 MildObstruction

MildObstruction

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

before it gets asked too many times, if you locked it in that's the only value they can give you. either you'll get it, or they'll reject for whatever random reason so they don't have to pay out.

MildObstruction.png