$1, $2, and $3 Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions for Xbox LIVE Free (Silver) accounts only

lightsup55

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
NOTE: If you already have an Xbox LIVE Gold or Gold Family subscription, this deal does NOT apply to you as you will not find it on your dashboard. This deal applies only to Xbox LIVE Free (Silver) accounts.

Just spotted this on one of my other gamertags:

If you have an Xbox LIVE Free (Silver) account, head to the Spotlight channel and find the "Wheel of Fortune" like wheel to spin that says "Special E3 Savings" at the bottom.

Press the A button on your controller to enter it, then press A again to start the wheel. Press the A button again to stop.

Don't like the offer? Press the X button to spin again and then press the A button to stop. You can keep spinning it over and over until you get the deal you want. There aren't many, so your odds are pretty good on getting what you want (or can afford).

Offers:
  • 1 month of Xbox LIVE Gold for $1
  • 2 months of Xbox LIVE Gold for $2
  • 3 months of Xbox LIVE Gold for $3.33/month

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe this is a U.S. only deal.

The fine print:
* Offer valid only through this in-dash signup with credit card (pre-paid token not eligible). Your membership auto-renews to a monthly membership at the then-current price (subject to change), unless cancelled. Limit 1 offer per account. Not valid on prior subscription purchases and not combinable with other offers. Additional subscriptions may be required for some features, including Netflix, Hulu Plus, and ESPN.

Last edited by a moderator:
"3 months of Xbox LIVE Gold for $3.33/month"

lol what a big increase in price compared to the other 2

I have xbox live free.

"what? how'd you get xbox live for free?"

I stopped paying...

*sad trombone*

I got in on the $2 deal, but there is a catch, they make it difficult to stop the process of recharging you after the alloted time ends. You can't edit your your billing details to prevent them from charging either.

So here are the steps to turn off auto renewal for Xbox live:

On Xbox.com
Go to the account page
Go to Billing Account Information and change the address to somewhere in Illinois
Back on the account page, go to Manage Payment Options
Edit the credit card's billing info to be somewhere in Chicago
Back on the account page, click Upgrade/Manage Account
Under your avatar where it says Automatic Renewal: On, the On should be a link, click it.
You are going to have to click next quite a few times but eventually it will give you the option to turn auto renewal off.
Profit

[quote name='rob6021']I got in on the $2 deal, but there is a catch, they make it difficult to stop the process of recharging you after the alloted time ends. You can't edit your your billing details to prevent them from charging either.

On Xbox.com
Go to the account page
Go to Billing Account Information and change the address to somewhere in Illinois
Under your avatar where it says Automatic Renewal: On, the On should be a link, click it.
You are going to have to click next quite a few times but eventually it will give you the option to turn auto renewal off.
Profit[/QUOTE]

Heh, thanks it worked. I got in on the multiple gold months for $1 each and was set to autorenew in november.

You CAN get this deal if you're a gold member as well! From another site:

How to extend your current gold membership with this offer:

If you have a gold subscription and want to extend your membership simply sign in a silver profile as player one, sign your gold account in as player 2.
Select the offer on the dashboard for the silver member, then sign the silver account out.
Now press A on the controller which has your gold account signed in and you will be able to purchase the two months.

I just did this and can confirm it works. Now, the question is whether you can do it multiple times...

[quote name='Indiana']Hmmm 2 months for $2 is way cheaper than $10 for 3 months... that's a weird deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah wtf? Even if it was $3.33 for 3 months, that's still a worse deal than $2 for 2 months... Maybe it's because $10 for 3 months is cheaper than $2 for 2 months and like $10 for 1 month (or whatever it costs per month for XBL) to equal the 3 months. I dunno...

[quote name='rob6021']I got in on the $2 deal, but there is a catch, they make it difficult to stop the process of recharging you after the alloted time ends. You can't edit your your billing details to prevent them from charging either.

On Xbox.com
Go to the account page
Profit[/QUOTE]

or you could.. you know, call them near the end of the time period and cancel your account =P much less hassle than screwing with your account details to this degree. I did the 1 month free for 1 buck thing a long time ago and did that. it was like a

[quote name='Darknuke']Yeah wtf? Even if it was $3.33 for 3 months, that's still a worse deal than $2 for 2 months... Maybe it's because $10 for 3 months is cheaper than $2 for 2 months and like $10 for 1 month (or whatever it costs per month for XBL) to equal the 3 months. I dunno...[/QUOTE]
The regular price for 3 months is $24.99 (or $8.33/month).

OR
$9.99/month
59.99 for 12 months ($4.99/month)

That's funny, I have gold right now and it gave me the $1 for 1 month offer a few days ago anyway. I didn't have to jump through any hoops.

[quote name='Kenshindono']or you could.. you know, call them near the end of the time period and cancel your account =P much less hassle than screwing with your account details to this degree. I did the 1 month free for 1 buck thing a long time ago and did that. it was like a

On Xbox.com
Go to the account page
Profit[/QUOTE]

Much simpler than waiting on hold for 30 minutes, answering the same amount of questions for an Indian customer service representative...Then telling them "No", just as many times as I had to click "Next" during the last step.

Thank you so much. So much simpler than calling M$oft!

[quote name='doctor_payne13']You CAN get this deal if you're a gold member as well! From another site:

I just did this and can confirm it works. Now, the question is whether you can do it multiple times...[/QUOTE]

Sweet. that worked. 2 months added.

Can someone please clearly explain how to get this if you already have a gold membership?
Do I do this from the console or xbox.com or a special link?

I see it on the console dash board but how do I sign in w/ player 2 account?

I turned on my second remote controller and saw the ring flash on the "2" part but don't know how sign that controller into my profile....

[quote name='aznhero913']Can someone please clearly explain how to get this if you already have a gold membership?
Do I do this from the console or xbox.com or a special link?

I see it on the console dash board but how do I sign in w/ player 2 account?

I turned on my second remote controller and saw the ring flash on the "2" part but don't know how sign that controller into my profile....[/QUOTE]

Hit X to sign into live with 2nd controller and choose the profile that has gold.

[quote name='ooga']Hit X to sign into live with 2nd controller and choose the profile that has gold.[/QUOTE]

Gotcha!!!

1. Hit the silver xbox button
2. Sign into your profile
3. Go to wheel of fortune using player 2 remote

Thanks!!!

Gonna pass these instructions down to some friends.

I bought a couple 12 month cards for $30 so I'm not forking over CC info and risking auto renew just to save $4 but I know gamers that are tight on cash that would love this.

Thanks again guys for the info!!

Was already on the 2 months for $2 so that deal didn't work. However, I did get a extra month for $1 which worked fine.

On Xbox.com
Go to the account page
Profit[/QUOTE]

Thanks for these instructions. I was semi-worried about the auto renewal, but now I'll just fire on the $2 for 2 months option. I think Xbox offered 1 month for $1 and missed/passed on it because of the auto renewal

[quote name='thehoweller']Much simpler than waiting on hold for 30 minutes, answering the same amount of questions for an Indian customer service representative...Then telling them "No", just as many times as I had to click "Next" during the last step.

Thank you so much. So much simpler than calling M$oft![/QUOTE]

Really? Because I called Xbox Support at 3PM EST on March 1st, and some cool (although tired-sounding) guy answered immediately. I told him to cancel my girlfriend's auto-renewal, and he did it within 5 minutes without any hassle whatsoever. Then he said, "Thanks for calling us, dude. Take it easy."

I remember that call because it was the best corporation-consumer call I've ever had. And thanks to the OP, I'll look forward to doing it again in two months.

The trick didn't work for me. Just kept taking me to either my own membership page or to the Silver accounts billing to add the months into that account.

Don't forget if you add a pre-paid card after a deal like this it will diable auto-renew too.

My phone call was CRAZY easy to cancel auto-renew. I just said it was a secondary account. 4 minutes at worst, mostly menus. Some CAGs even reported being offered 12 months at $36 during their calls

These deals stack. You just cannot add the same sub back to back. I was a current gold subscriber with 11 months left. Using wifes account (silver) to select the deal I then logged myself in. Attempting to buy with my account (controller 2) it defaulted to her account to purchase with. Logging her account off allowed me to purchase with my account. it will then dump you back to dash. sign out and sign back in using silver. Select deal again. Log gold account in. Sign out silver account. Spin until you get a deal different from the previous one (mine was $2 for 2 months, second run I had to pick $1 for 1 month). Purchase and repeat until you have desired amount of time. I now have 20 months that I have paid $35 for ($25 BB 12 month card deal from a few months ago, 10 months added for $10). Plan is to turn this into a (now) free Family Gold account, adding in 2 accounts that have 11 months each on them. Now I will have 4 gold accounts with 23 months on each for the low low low price of $35. Now time for the Happy Dance!!!!

Just wanted to pass on how to do this, since it was causing people problems. I did get a "cannot connect to xbox billing" message a few times, just wait a few minutes and it should work again.

I also did this with the Kinect since I only have one controller.

Sign onto gold account on the Kinect (make sure it's controller 2). On the controller sign in with silver, do the E3 spin, sign out. Accept the offer you want, your avatar of gold membership should then pop up, from there do as needed and it will stack. Same as method above, just a little more time consuming.

Save yourself the hassle, buy a 12 month card. I am extremely against handing out credit card information to M$, especially when they make you jump through hoops just to turn off an automatic renewal thing which they use to charge you for something without your consent. This is thievery at it's best. Must've taken them quite a handful of lawyers to figure out they can keep charging you for something without your permission, especially when the normal bloke doesn't even know how to back out of the deal.

While auto-renew phone calls are a crappy loophole...
The hassle is more hypo-thetical than physical. The calls I've had in recent years were not just pleasant, but some of the best cs experiences I've had. Never more than 5 minutes.
So...
I always throw $10/hr as a reasonable work rate for things. If it takes 2 hours to drive somewhere to save $11 it's probably not worth it. (w/gas)...
If a 5 minute phone call saves you $6, then it's worth it.... JUST DON'T FORGET TO CANCEL!!!

But you're making the assumption that you'd have to drive 2 hours to find a cheaper 12 month card. That's not the case at all. Most of the time you can find 12 month cards on buy.com or amazon.com that are cheaper than retail, even after the price increase.

Personally I don't think this deal they have going isn't all that great, but it's also the fact that you have the extra hassle of jumping through hoops to deactivate it which kills it for me. That and I don't trust MS with my credit card information.

It's strictly up to you though. I'm just putting in my 2 cents. If a company is this stingy about how you turn off auto-renewal then I would rather not deal with it. They could've easily put in an option in your account itself that says turn off auto-renewal but instead they try to take a cheap shot at your wallet.

I got offered 12 months for 36 an took it. Thanks OP for posting this. I would not have logged onto XBL this week without seeing this.

FYI, I used paypal because you can always turn off the auto renew on the paypal side.

--Rick

[quote name='IronZombie']Save yourself the hassle, buy a 12 month card. I am extremely against handing out credit card information to M$, especially when they make you jump through hoops just to turn off an automatic renewal thing which they use to charge you for something without your consent. This is thievery at it's best. Must've taken them quite a handful of lawyers to figure out they can keep charging you for something without your permission, especially when the normal bloke doesn't even know how to back out of the deal.[/QUOTE]

How is it thievery? You are granting consent to them to auto-renew the account by accepting the offer. It is in the terms when you buy the item. Read the terms before buying anything online. (and msft offer didn't have page after page but rather a few lines of terms so that is no excuse)

Hey just want to clarify the $9.99 for 3 months deal. I was kinda curious in how the deal worked, since the $3.33/month deal seemed strange compared to the other deals. After looking into it I noticed that if you pick the 3 months for $9.99 it will auto renew at that price for the next 3 months compared to the other 2, which jump to the regular monthly fee that xbox charges. In the long run it seems like you are paying $39.99 per year for xbox live if you choose the $3.33/month deal.

[quote name='kklems']How is it thievery? You are granting consent to them to auto-renew the account by accepting the offer. It is in the terms when you buy the item. Read the terms before buying anything online. (and msft offer didn't have page after page but rather a few lines of terms so that is no excuse)[/QUOTE]

It's the idea of it that's thievery. Saying "you are granting consent to them to auto-renew" is kind of a bad argument. You have no choice BUT to give them consent once you sign up with them online. That's merely what I was stating. If they offered the deal and made it so you had to choose to auto-renew or made it easy to back out of it then I'd have no problem, but the fact that they make it difficult is what puts me off from it.

I should start a business and then when people sign up for my service I could put in the accepting offer that they can't ever back out of the deal and I'll automatically charge them for the rest of their existence. Shouldn't be a problem since they'll give me consent right?

[quote name='IronZombie']It's the idea of it that's thievery. Saying "you are granting consent to them to auto-renew" is kind of a bad argument. You have no choice BUT to give them consent once you sign up with them online. That's merely what I was stating. If they offered the deal and made it so you had to choose to auto-renew or made it easy to back out of it then I'd have no problem, but the fact that they make it difficult is what puts me off from it.

I should start a business and then when people sign up for my service I could put in the accepting offer that they can't ever back out of the deal and I'll automatically charge them for the rest of their existence. Shouldn't be a problem since they'll give me consent right?[/QUOTE]

In order to get the special rate you agree to their terms. If you don't agree than you don't have to accept the offer. Many services are set for auto renewal. Those travel/entertainment/consumer sites ala traveladvantage, free credit report.com, book of the month clubs, fruit of the month clubs, condom of the month clubs, cable tv, satellite radio, playstation plus, telephone service, cell phone service. These all continue unless you cancel the service. XBOX live is no different. They removed the web only cancellation in order to get you to call where they can work on retention of the customer. After all you are signing up for XBOX Live subscription service. FWIW I signed up for the $2/2 month deal, called to cancel auto-renewal and in 5 minutes it was done.

Hey everyone, just wanted to share something.

I bought the 2 months for $2 deal during this promotion, but upon logging onto XBL today, I was given an additional 1 month for $1 deal. Same account. My Gold membership runs through 9/13 now, for only $3. Everyone should check it out to see if they can get the same option.

bread's done
Back