Photo
- - - - -

$1, $2, and $3 Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions for Xbox LIVE Free (Silver) accounts only

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 funkflexmctough

funkflexmctough

Mmmm.....deals

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:19 AM

While auto-renew phone calls are a crappy loophole...
The hassle is more hypo-thetical than physical. The calls I've had in recent years were not just pleasant, but some of the best cs experiences I've had. Never more than 5 minutes.
So...
I always throw $10/hr as a reasonable work rate for things. If it takes 2 hours to drive somewhere to save $11 it's probably not worth it. (w/gas)...
If a 5 minute phone call saves you $6, then it's worth it.... JUST DON'T FORGET TO CANCEL!!!

Edited by funkflexmctough, 12 June 2011 - 02:21 AM.
JUST DON'T FORGET TO CANCEL!

Posted Image

i buy that used games .i don,t have any problem

#32 IronZombie

IronZombie

Time to Feed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:53 AM

But you're making the assumption that you'd have to drive 2 hours to find a cheaper 12 month card. That's not the case at all. Most of the time you can find 12 month cards on buy.com or amazon.com that are cheaper than retail, even after the price increase.

Personally I don't think this deal they have going isn't all that great, but it's also the fact that you have the extra hassle of jumping through hoops to deactivate it which kills it for me. That and I don't trust MS with my credit card information.

It's strictly up to you though. I'm just putting in my 2 cents. If a company is this stingy about how you turn off auto-renewal then I would rather not deal with it. They could've easily put in an option in your account itself that says turn off auto-renewal but instead they try to take a cheap shot at your wallet.

#33 ricka

ricka

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

I got offered 12 months for 36 an took it. Thanks OP for posting this. I would not have logged onto XBL this week without seeing this.

FYI, I used paypal because you can always turn off the auto renew on the paypal side.

--Rick

Edited by ricka, 12 June 2011 - 03:42 AM.

#34 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:20 PM

Save yourself the hassle, buy a 12 month card. I am extremely against handing out credit card information to M$, especially when they make you jump through hoops just to turn off an automatic renewal thing which they use to charge you for something without your consent. This is thievery at it's best. Must've taken them quite a handful of lawyers to figure out they can keep charging you for something without your permission, especially when the normal bloke doesn't even know how to back out of the deal.

How is it thievery? You are granting consent to them to auto-renew the account by accepting the offer. It is in the terms when you buy the item. Read the terms before buying anything online. (and msft offer didn't have page after page but rather a few lines of terms so that is no excuse)

#35 dkaz2389

dkaz2389

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:59 PM

Hey just want to clarify the $9.99 for 3 months deal. I was kinda curious in how the deal worked, since the $3.33/month deal seemed strange compared to the other deals. After looking into it I noticed that if you pick the 3 months for $9.99 it will auto renew at that price for the next 3 months compared to the other 2, which jump to the regular monthly fee that xbox charges. In the long run it seems like you are paying $39.99 per year for xbox live if you choose the $3.33/month deal.

#36 falcinator

falcinator

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 04:23 PM

Picked this special up a few days ago....thanks much for the tip to turn this junk off..!!!

#37 IronZombie

IronZombie

Time to Feed

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:24 PM

How is it thievery? You are granting consent to them to auto-renew the account by accepting the offer. It is in the terms when you buy the item. Read the terms before buying anything online. (and msft offer didn't have page after page but rather a few lines of terms so that is no excuse)

It's the idea of it that's thievery. Saying "you are granting consent to them to auto-renew" is kind of a bad argument. You have no choice BUT to give them consent once you sign up with them online. That's merely what I was stating. If they offered the deal and made it so you had to choose to auto-renew or made it easy to back out of it then I'd have no problem, but the fact that they make it difficult is what puts me off from it.

I should start a business and then when people sign up for my service I could put in the accepting offer that they can't ever back out of the deal and I'll automatically charge them for the rest of their existence. Shouldn't be a problem since they'll give me consent right?

#38 kklems

kklems

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:34 AM

It's the idea of it that's thievery. Saying "you are granting consent to them to auto-renew" is kind of a bad argument. You have no choice BUT to give them consent once you sign up with them online. That's merely what I was stating. If they offered the deal and made it so you had to choose to auto-renew or made it easy to back out of it then I'd have no problem, but the fact that they make it difficult is what puts me off from it.

I should start a business and then when people sign up for my service I could put in the accepting offer that they can't ever back out of the deal and I'll automatically charge them for the rest of their existence. Shouldn't be a problem since they'll give me consent right?

In order to get the special rate you agree to their terms. If you don't agree than you don't have to accept the offer. Many services are set for auto renewal. Those travel/entertainment/consumer sites ala traveladvantage, free credit report.com, book of the month clubs, fruit of the month clubs, condom of the month clubs, cable tv, satellite radio, playstation plus, telephone service, cell phone service. These all continue unless you cancel the service. XBOX live is no different. They removed the web only cancellation in order to get you to call where they can work on retention of the customer. After all you are signing up for XBOX Live subscription service. FWIW I signed up for the $2/2 month deal, called to cancel auto-renewal and in 5 minutes it was done.

#39 Blade

Blade

Trying to have a member title that's longer than MDerrick

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hey everyone, just wanted to share something.

I bought the 2 months for $2 deal during this promotion, but upon logging onto XBL today, I was given an additional 1 month for $1 deal. Same account. My Gold membership runs through 9/13 now, for only $3. Everyone should check it out to see if they can get the same option.