CAGcast #243: E3 2011 Collector's Bundle

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:26 AM

we need to have a "dust report" from Cheapy every month or so to let us know which has more dust build up, his Kinect or his Wii.

$200 dollars for 90 minutes of fun? yikes, thats a steep investment.
122445.png

#32 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:52 PM

Publishers have every right not to send out free games to outlets that they feel are giving poor review scores - especially if they feel the reviews are unfair. This is consumer journalism and the whole point of the publishers sending games to the press is for them to get coverage on well-trafficked sites that could influence people to purchase the games. Press copies are sent out to generate buzz, which in turn the publishers hope generates sales. So, if an outlet is considered to be unfairly reviewing games, why would a publisher continue to send them products if their reviews could be negatively impacting sales? It just doesn't make sense to do that.

And this leads to review sites without integrity inflating their scores to avoid getting blacklisted, while sites that actually have some standards are punished for being honest.

That's not what he meant.

Apparently it was.

Edited by Curufinwe, 17 June 2011 - 01:09 PM.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#33 Wombat

Wombat

CAGcast or nothin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:44 PM

And this leads to review sites without integrity inflating their scores to avoid getting blacklisted, while sites that actually have some standards are punished for being honest.

Apparently it was.

which will lead to honest sites buying games and releasing reviews post game launch. Educated consumers will wait for these reviews causing a dip in sales. In turn PR firms will start sending these outlets early copies again. Until that site writes a bad review, in which case they will not get early games....and then the chicken lays an egg

#34 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:47 PM

Apparently it was.

This is how consumer journalism works. The publishers and PR companies create nearly 100% of the stories because they control all the information... Which they should because they own it and owe it to their stockholders to do everything possible to make money. To get to the point where you are getting early copies and exclusive stories you have to build up a working friendship with the PR reps, developers, and publishers. When games are good, everyone is happy. Bad games put a strain on these relationships though and it undoubtedly effects review scores - that's one reasonwhy you rarely see average review scores below 70/100. All you can do is find reviewers that you trust. There's plenty of honest reviewers out there, but you better believe that many give a great deal of thought to giving out bad reviews because of the repercussions it causes, whether that be the rare case of blackballing or the fairly common case of having to explain your low review to PR people that you are friends with and depend upon for coverage.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#35 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:23 PM

Do the companies who send you free games care about what score you give them since CheapAssGamer reviews don't seem to show up on MetaCritic?

I know the Giant Bomb guys (who also use a 1-5 scale) have said that some publishers won't send them certain games early if they think the game is only going to get 3/5 or 4/5. But that's because they want to have the MetaCritic average as close to 90% as possible when the game launches.

#36 Protocol Snow

Protocol Snow

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:13 PM

we need to have a "dust report" from Cheapy every month or so to let us know which has more dust build up, his Kinect or his Wii.

$200 dollars for 90 minutes of fun? yikes, thats a steep investment.

Nobody who likes Rez seriously complains that it's only 90 minutes long because fans can recognize the replay value. I've been playing Rez for 10 years. The same holds true for Child of Eden, only more so because of its more sophisticated scoring system. If you're of the "only 90 minutes" mindset, this game isn't for you.

#37 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:31 AM

oh no you are 100% correct, probably not for me. but still people complained about Limbo being 3 hours long for 15 bucks. Im sure if I had a Kinect I would enjoy it, but I cannot see it justified for one game right now.
122445.png

#38 aclayton

aclayton

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:58 AM

Great show as always, really enjoyed hearing your impressions of all the conferences and games. Glad to hear there was a 'weed vault', wouldn't have minded a little more chat about that, I can appreciate Cheapy's looking forward to that sort of rare treat every year.

My only beef was, particularly given what happened in last year's E3 wrap-up show, I wish you guys had been a little more sensitive to Wombat at the end there.. Although last year I thought he very much overreacted to what was typical ribbing between friends, I was waiting all show for some sort of 'wish you could have been there' bone-throwing for Wombat, and felt it was a bit justified when he got frustrated.. I had that familiar awkward/uncomfortable feeling when Wombat finally piped up with 'trying to figure out if I was missed', and only got an 'eh, yeah a few people at the party asked about you'. Not sure if it was more sack-twisting, or obliviousness, just wish Cheapy and Ship could have realized and defused it, since Wombat got uncomfortably silent the rest of the show, sigh.

Any case, thanks guys, the CAGcast is something I look forward to all week, each of you is indispensable to the show.

#39 Leggo

Leggo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:27 PM

Great podcast as always... and now you guys'll have a ton of extra listeners now that the Joystiq podcast is effectively dead after the horrible "The Joystiq Show" revamp that turned it into lifeless, videogame-related NPR.

Viva la Cagcast!

#40 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

I picked up Child of Eden along with Wipeout: In the Zone at Target's buy1 get 1 50% off. My 10 year old son who is a huge fan of the TV show loves the game, although parts can be frustrating, like the actual show.

As for Child of Eden, I was not a big Rez fan, but felt the need to support this title after hearing much praise for it prior to E3. It can be challenging, I have failed levels several times, so the 15-20 minutes per chapter goes out the window. It is beautiful, both visually and sonically. Accuracy isn't too big of an issue, although your right arm may get sore from flicking after locking on. Very easy to hyper-extend your elbow with this motion.

I am enjoying the game and would highly recommend it.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#41 youngavatar

youngavatar

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 05:03 PM

great podcast made me wish i could go to e3 next year...I thought cheapy was a little harsh on anarchy reigns in era full with nothing but shooter i don't mind a studio like platinum games trying something new, to many studio are playing it safe while platnium is putting out new ip. I just hope anarchy reigns is the power stone for this generation of console.
[URL=http://exophase.com/gamercards/]Posted Image
[/URL]

#42 Microshock

Microshock

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:42 PM

And we have another anti-Sony rant by Cheapy disguised as "IM HELPING YOU SONY I SWEAR" speech.
Meanwhile, Apple releases an overpriced Macbook once again and CheapyD cannot help but preach the gospel of Apple.

It's magic , as if he's the marketing department himself. My amazing iPhone 4 and its flash game ripoffs for a dollar are magic and way better than anything Sony will ever offer. Apple is amazing for offering cloud saving, now I can play all of those flash game clones between my iPad and iPod without ever losing progress!

Ah but I'm trying to help you Sony, i swear! Remember that time a really long time ago when you gave me that magic moment? Help me become a kid again Sony, like Apple is doing now. Please.

Why Sony, aren't you pretending like all your products are magic? Magic Magic Magic, I've been fooled by Apples marketing department.
Transformers: Dark of the Moon - July 1, 2011 (was AWESOME)
STEAM- Microshocky Origin/Battlelog Microshock

#43 kiddvid

kiddvid

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:42 AM

Is it just me or does it sound like to anyone else that the dynamic between Cheapy and Ship is growing and between Cheapy and Wombat its dwindling? It just seemed like in this episode Cheapy had little patience for Wombat by mostly ignoring the smart aleck quips wombat normally uses to get attention or even chastising him about his "Walkman Plus" interjection by saying "They don't call it that wombat, so I don't think it's right that we call it that"......anyone else sensing a fracture in the Old Team?

#44 Davestation

Davestation

Dont Cross The Streams

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:36 AM

Why would anyone be looking forward to using Kinect on Mass Effect 3? You really do not need a huge fucking brick camera to shout commands. Why not just intergrate that using your live headset? I know this technology was available last generation in Socom and Lifeline, why do I really need to spend $149.99 on a kinect to use a voice only feature that a headset can do?
[IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG][IMG]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/%3Ca%20href=%22http://www.us.playstation.com/PSN/Users/Davestation%22%3E%3Cimg%20src=%22http://pid.us.playstation.com/user/Davestation.jpg%22%20width=%22235%22%20height=%22149%22%20border=%220%22%20/%3E%3C/a%3E[/IMG]

#45 Kezmer

Kezmer

Disgruntled Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 02:41 PM

Why would anyone be looking forward to using Kinect on Mass Effect 3? You really do not need a huge fucking brick camera to shout commands. Why not just intergrate that using your live headset? I know this technology was available last generation in Socom and Lifeline, why do I really need to spend $149.99 on a kinect to use a voice only feature that a headset can do?

because the sheep will spend 149 just to do idiot shit like that that you can do already with a pack in headset so they want the $$$$$$
122445.png

#46 skychotic

skychotic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 June 2011 - 05:37 PM

Could you guys please post that E3 spreadsheet? Yes, I am genuinely interested in looking at it. I am a spreadsheet lover just like shipwreck.

#47 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

Get bopped, son.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 01:53 AM

Wombat, if you're only interested in playing through Child of Eden once, then just rent the damn game. I doubt that you'll be able to get through it on the first try, so you'll probably take more than 90 minutes.

Starhawk has space combat. They just haven't shown it yet.

Walkman would be a poor name for Vita since it's the name of a music player and Vita's primarily a game machine.

I'm surprised that Nintendo had Wii U readily accessible on the show floor rather than hiding it behind curtains where you'd need to wait for hours or have an appointment to see it.

Nintendo had a ton of games they could've announced and shown trailers for like they did last year, but they decided to have a really short show.

A dungeon-crawling X-Men game? Do you guys mean X-Men Legends 3?

Criterion isn't making the new Need for Speed game, but the EA Black Box guys that made the NFS games before Shift.

Good show.

You read it. You can't unread it.

Horror Chicken: F.E.A.R. and Resident Evil 4

#48 msdmoney

msdmoney

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thanks for bringing up how pointless all of these CG trailers are. Until the game is ready to show and ready to play, I don't care about it. It seems like a complete waste of money to me.

#49 evantrees

evantrees

rejection and peace tiramisu

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 09:52 AM

Nobody who likes Rez seriously complains that it's only 90 minutes long because fans can recognize the replay value. I've been playing Rez for 10 years. The same holds true for Child of Eden, only more so because of its more sophisticated scoring system. If you're of the "only 90 minutes" mindset, this game isn't for you.

makes me wonder how many times I've played through einhander or rogue squadron at this point.

Thanks for bringing up how pointless all of these CG trailers are. Until the game is ready to show and ready to play, I don't care about it. It seems like a complete waste of money to me.

a pretty waste of money, my friend knows hes never going to play the old republic but he still loves the trailers. They get people wondering and perhaps talking about the game, but I must say a damn nice stance on the matter.

#50 guardian_owl

guardian_owl

Keeper of the CAG Shrine

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

Seems to me since there is hardly any connection between Prey and Prey 2 they would be better off calling it Prey: [Subtitle] so that those who have never heard of Prey (it has been almost five years after all) will think it is the first in the series (as it might as well be since it is completely different).

Walkman name is a bad idea because then people will hear that, make the connection to the old brand, and assume it is strictly a music player.

Guardian_owl.png

#51 Yuckmouth

Yuckmouth

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:52 PM

Is it just me or does it sound like to anyone else that the dynamic between Cheapy and Ship is growing and between Cheapy and Wombat its dwindling? It just seemed like in this episode Cheapy had little patience for Wombat by mostly ignoring the smart aleck quips wombat normally uses to get attention or even chastising him about his "Walkman Plus" interjection by saying "They don't call it that wombat, so I don't think it's right that we call it that"......anyone else sensing a fracture in the Old Team?

I haven't listened to many CAGcasts. I listened to #1 - 10 and then recently the last four or so. But I agree with you.

I do love Ship though. Dude seems like a cool guy who just likes to talk about games.

#52 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 02:13 AM

Shipwreck,
Sorry but I have to call you out about completely ignoring what's happened with XBLA over the past 3 weeks. Since the D&D game came out at the end of May, the releases stopped coming for 2 weeks. Some people speculated that the game publishers did it was so PSN could catch up but no one said anything officially and I don't know of a single other time in XBLA history that it went 2 weeks without a single game.

Plus, the sequel to one of the top XBLA games of 2009 and still one of the top 10 most played XBLA games in the world came out last week, Magic 2012. To just ignore that completely was wrong IMO.

Wombat, if you still have those free 800 points I would HIGHLY recommend Magic 2012 if you've played any type of card games before. It's also a pretty easy 200 achievement points and you can get 160 just by playing through the campaign, beating 1 of the 1-turn challenges, and hosting and winning an archenemy (3 v 1 against an overpowered AI opponent) with 2 humans.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#53 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 04:39 AM

Nah same story.

Probably seems that way to you since Ship and Cheapie went to E3 together and just got back. They only had 1 bed in their hotel room from the looks of it. Probably bonded a bit. :D

But Cheapie having little patience for Wombat comes and goes.

#54 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:07 AM

Then how come previous Nintendo keynote's have been ridiculously bad? Remember the guy air drumming? The Miyamoto symphony? The soccer mom crap?

The Nintendo keynote was good because they had new stuff to show. That's it. If Microsoft had a new console to show, I'm sure we'd be hearing what a great presence they had.

Hey I said they were the best of the three. And they have soul.

The fact you remember the bad moments of the Nintendo conferences seems proof of that.

I don't recall anything of past MS and Sony conferences. They seem to hum at the same acceptably mediocre frequency. Easily forgettable.

#55 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 05:10 AM

which will lead to honest sites buying games and releasing reviews post game launch. Educated consumers will wait for these reviews causing a dip in sales. In turn PR firms will start sending these outlets early copies again. Until that site writes a bad review, in which case they will not get early games....and then the chicken lays an egg

If only there were enough educated consumers to cause a dip in sales. ;)

#56 MSUHitman

MSUHitman

Checkmate Arcade Co-Host

• CAGiversary!

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:57 AM

Hey I said they were the best of the three. And they have soul.

The fact you remember the bad moments of the Nintendo conferences seems proof of that.

I don't recall anything of past MS and Sony conferences. They seem to hum at the same acceptably mediocre frequency. Easily forgettable.

I'd say 2007 was Microsoft's best one. Although it was literally in the Santa Monica HS theatre, the stage on the pool was very cool, the Halo tribute band from Chicago was awesome, and the videos of CoD 4, ME 1, and Halo 3 blew everyone away. I remember watching the show live on G4 and going to the website for the CoD 4 beta and the site instantly being down from too many hits.

Listen to the Checkmate Arcade video game podcast! Also available on ITunes & Stitcher Radio
42869.png

#57 skadave

skadave

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

What are the chances that the current xbox/playstation controllers (including guitars and other plastic peripherals) will be usable in the next generation of consoles?