CAGcast #243: E3 2011 Collector's Bundle

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][IMG-L=5838]15060[/IMG-L]The gang gives opinions on everything E3 and somebody buys Kinect and meets the creator of Child of Eden. Stay tuned after the show for back to back E3 2011 Audioboos. Get your questions or topics answered via CAGbag or Twitter.

[podcast]152[/podcast]
Download - 149 minutes, 89MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Free private registration with any domain registration/transfer = CAGFREE[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys, I cannot download this on Itunes for some reason, Itunes will not let it download, can you check into this for me...thanks.....an update...it's fixed

Great recap. Glad to hear the CAG party went so well.

I have to mention that I agree with your sentiments on Prey 2, it really does look interesting, and the comparison to how the Far Cry franchise is tied together seems to be pretty spot on. I heard in an interview that the kind of connection with Prey 1 includes the element that while you were the prey in the first game, you're the predator in the second game. Kind of a loose PR statement, but it works for me as a way of tying the games together.

Hearing Wombat's joke about the Wii-U siren brought a smile to my face and made me think "Yes! The man is back!".

I was at the CAG Party, ready to talk it up with fellow CAGs,

30 minutes into the party, My friend had a medical emergency and I had to leave... =(

I was looking forward to it ALL YEAR!!!! ARGHH!!!! ;_;

Did the Playstation Move have no presense at E3? Has Sony given up on it already?

As far as Child of Eden goes... I don't mind paying for a short game, as long as it's fun and has replay value. I bought (and enjoyed) Deathsmiles for $50, and that was basically a 30 minute game designed to be replayed several times (Plus it came with a cool Xbox faceplate, which I couldn't even use after buying a Slim two months later).

Dang, wish I had thought to check for this before I started zoning out in Borderlands. A Cagcast would have been a perfect accompaniment. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Glad to see Wombat back!

Shipwreck continues to not get it. I've said it before (my post was read on a recent cagcast) and i'll say it again.

The 3DS will not sell well at its current price (or even at $50 less). Despite what shipwreck thinks, $250 is a lot of money, especially to people with children (FYI Children cost a lot of money to maintain).

I don't care what the current lineup of games will be. . . the core DS user group are young kids age 7-10 (most kids over the age of 11 don't care about it as much). They are the Pokemon/Kirby game players, not the Mario/Zelda gamers. Do you really think a 7 year old kid will convince his parents to fork over $250 for the system and another $40 for a game for christmas? I am a big gamer and even I would be hard pressed to buy my kid one.

There is a reason why the 3-DS is not selling well. . . it's too damned expensive. I am willing to make a bet with shipwreck that his christmas prediction is flat out WRONG.

I am also interested in hearing people's opinions on Child of Eden as well. I was eager to get the game after i read Joystiq's recent review, however the $50 price tag and the rumored 1 hour of gameplay has prevented me from doing so. Perhaps i'll wait a year to get it.

Cheapy, great story about the Miz. You sounded like a lil schoolgirl. Btw, great taste. REZ RULES! :)

I'm proud of Cheapy for getting a Kinect and spending time with it. Hate it if you want, but at least give the thing a fair trial first.

Child of Eden is a magnificent showcase for Kinect. Give the demos of Kinect Sports and Dance Central a try also. I doubt the Kinect Sports demo lets you play online though... the fantastic online experience of Kinect Sports pushes it far beyond just being a Wii Sports clone. Especially online ping pong, man that is so fun.

"Somebody" buys Kinect is just like saying "Somebody" tries Rogain....it's not that hard to figure out. Almost two hours long...wow!! Downloading it now!

MS conference too corporate. Too MTV. Wanted to puke. Kinect is just showing us the same stuff that didn't work and sell on the Wii. OR showed Kinect Golf which we played 5 years ago on the Wii.

Didn't watch much of Sony's. But better because of Vita which ...is going to do worse than PSP. No one wants console games on their handheld. And the PSP was long ago over taken by the iPOd Touch as a multimedia device in the US.

Love the idea of bringing back the Walkman name!!!

Nintendo conference is best because they have the most human beings doing the conference. Most soul. The execs from MS and Sony could be in any industry, but Iwata and Miyamoto at least could only be in the games industry.

That being said I just don't believe in the Wii U except as a 1st party machine once again. 3rd party support will be ports of 360/PS3 games and then dry out when those consoles go next-gen. Only way that changes is if Wii U becomes more powerful than what the grapevine says it is.

Also like Cheapie I don't believe Nintendo will support online very well or streaming a browser to the tablet controller or other potential cool uses of their tech. They plant that seed in your mind about how cool it can be, but will never go as far as they need to make it a useful tool.

I like the idea of the controller though. The idea of continuing your game if DAd or wife or kid need the TV. Awesome. Also displaying the HUD of some games on the touchscreen. Good idea.

Ship and Cheapie have me worried about ergonomics. NOt the hands apart aspect. That actually is more ergonomic. But the angle of the analog sticks/buttons to the triggers.

Anyway think Nintendo positioned their console in the middle of nowhere. Not 'core enough to fight the next-gen 360/PS3 and too expensive and core for the casual. I would have liked either a

Great show. I felt the exact same about the Wii U control and I am really not excited at all. I am a little disappointed that everyone has a kinect now. I guess I will have to pick one up when it is cheap and get that nyko zoom.

Did Shipwreck say that blacklisting reviewers by not sending them review copies because they gave an awful game the low score it deserved is "fine"?

It's actually disgraceful that certain publishers and their PR companies pull this crap in order to prevent reviewers from doing their jobs properly.

no offense but that was pretty useless. You talk about audience reaction to E3 being predictable...hi kettle you're black

really like the audioboos however.

I think wombat saying that people who get excited about CG trailers for games are stupid is a bit harsh. How else are you going to announce a new sly cooper or Halo? Have some guy come on stage and say "HALO 4!!!! GOOD NIGHT!" ?

It's part of the hype, i was giddy when i saw that a new Sly Cooper is coming out. . . i am sure i will see game play footage eventually, but for right now just a CG trailer is enough.

I look forward to the show every week, I think you could improve the show greatly if Cheapy would just go from segment to segment without annoucing which segment he is going to do. "ok lets do the go daddy sponsor..." Just do it, don't tell us before you do it. You did a great job transitioning into the Wii U Wiii U Wiii U (hilarous wombat, never thought about it that), it was a solid transition from sony to nintendo, if only they could all be that smooth. Great show keep up the good work guys.

Not to be a dick but holy shit you guys comments are negative. Especially since this is a free podcast.

[quote name='trip1eX']Nintendo conference is best because they have the most human beings doing the conference. Most soul. The execs from MS and Sony could be in any industry, but Iwata and Miyamoto at least could only be in the games industry.[/QUOTE]

Then how come previous Nintendo keynote's have been ridiculously bad? Remember the guy air drumming? The Miyamoto symphony? The soccer mom crap?

The Nintendo keynote was good because they had new stuff to show. That's it. If Microsoft had a new console to show, I'm sure we'd be hearing what a great presence they had.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Did Shipwreck say that blacklisting reviewers by not sending them review copies because they gave an awful game the low score it deserved is "fine"?

It's actually disgraceful that certain publishers and their PR companies pull this crap in order to prevent reviewers from doing their jobs properly.[/QUOTE]

That's not what he meant. What Shipwreck and over reviewers have acknowledged is that this stuff happens, but it is never made public. It's not unheard of for a company withhold review copies over a bad review.

Anyway, good show. It was nice to see you guys again at the CAG party. I was surprised that it wasn't as crowded as the Facebook group said it was going to be.

[quote name='Curufinwe']Did Shipwreck say that blacklisting reviewers by not sending them review copies because they gave an awful game the low score it deserved is "fine"?

It's actually disgraceful that certain publishers and their PR companies pull this crap in order to prevent reviewers from doing their jobs properly.[/QUOTE]

Publishers have every right not to send out free games to outlets that they feel are giving poor review scores - especially if they feel the reviews are unfair. This is consumer journalism and the whole point of the publishers sending games to the press is for them to get coverage on well-trafficked sites that could influence people to purchase the games. Press copies are sent out to generate buzz, which in turn the publishers hope generates sales. So, if an outlet is considered to be unfairly reviewing games, why would a publisher continue to send them products if their reviews could be negatively impacting sales? It just doesn't make sense to do that.

we need to have a "dust report" from Cheapy every month or so to let us know which has more dust build up, his Kinect or his Wii.

$200 dollars for 90 minutes of fun? yikes, thats a steep investment.

[quote name='shipwreck']Publishers have every right not to send out free games to outlets that they feel are giving poor review scores - especially if they feel the reviews are unfair. This is consumer journalism and the whole point of the publishers sending games to the press is for them to get coverage on well-trafficked sites that could influence people to purchase the games. Press copies are sent out to generate buzz, which in turn the publishers hope generates sales. So, if an outlet is considered to be unfairly reviewing games, why would a publisher continue to send them products if their reviews could be negatively impacting sales? It just doesn't make sense to do that.[/QUOTE]

And this leads to review sites without integrity inflating their scores to avoid getting blacklisted, while sites that actually have some standards are punished for being honest.

[quote name='apathylad']That's not what he meant.[/QUOTE]

Apparently it was.

[quote name='Curufinwe']And this leads to review sites without integrity inflating their scores to avoid getting blacklisted, while sites that actually have some standards are punished for being honest.

Apparently it was.[/QUOTE]

which will lead to honest sites buying games and releasing reviews post game launch. Educated consumers will wait for these reviews causing a dip in sales. In turn PR firms will start sending these outlets early copies again. Until that site writes a bad review, in which case they will not get early games....and then the chicken lays an egg

[quote name='Curufinwe']And this leads to review sites without integrity inflating their scores to avoid getting blacklisted, while sites that actually have some standards are punished for being honest.

Apparently it was.[/QUOTE]

This is how consumer journalism works. The publishers and PR companies create nearly 100% of the stories because they control all the information... Which they should because they own it and owe it to their stockholders to do everything possible to make money. To get to the point where you are getting early copies and exclusive stories you have to build up a working friendship with the PR reps, developers, and publishers. When games are good, everyone is happy. Bad games put a strain on these relationships though and it undoubtedly effects review scores - that's one reasonwhy you rarely see average review scores below 70/100. All you can do is find reviewers that you trust. There's plenty of honest reviewers out there, but you better believe that many give a great deal of thought to giving out bad reviews because of the repercussions it causes, whether that be the rare case of blackballing or the fairly common case of having to explain your low review to PR people that you are friends with and depend upon for coverage.

Do the companies who send you free games care about what score you give them since CheapAssGamer reviews don't seem to show up on MetaCritic?

I know the Giant Bomb guys (who also use a 1-5 scale) have said that some publishers won't send them certain games early if they think the game is only going to get 3/5 or 4/5. But that's because they want to have the MetaCritic average as close to 90% as possible when the game launches.

[quote name='Kezmer']we need to have a "dust report" from Cheapy every month or so to let us know which has more dust build up, his Kinect or his Wii.

$200 dollars for 90 minutes of fun? yikes, thats a steep investment.[/QUOTE]

Nobody who likes Rez seriously complains that it's only 90 minutes long because fans can recognize the replay value. I've been playing Rez for 10 years. The same holds true for Child of Eden, only more so because of its more sophisticated scoring system. If you're of the "only 90 minutes" mindset, this game isn't for you.

oh no you are 100% correct, probably not for me. but still people complained about Limbo being 3 hours long for 15 bucks. Im sure if I had a Kinect I would enjoy it, but I cannot see it justified for one game right now.

Great show as always, really enjoyed hearing your impressions of all the conferences and games. Glad to hear there was a 'weed vault', wouldn't have minded a little more chat about that, I can appreciate Cheapy's looking forward to that sort of rare treat every year.

My only beef was, particularly given what happened in last year's E3 wrap-up show, I wish you guys had been a little more sensitive to Wombat at the end there.. Although last year I thought he very much overreacted to what was typical ribbing between friends, I was waiting all show for some sort of 'wish you could have been there' bone-throwing for Wombat, and felt it was a bit justified when he got frustrated.. I had that familiar awkward/uncomfortable feeling when Wombat finally piped up with 'trying to figure out if I was missed', and only got an 'eh, yeah a few people at the party asked about you'. Not sure if it was more sack-twisting, or obliviousness, just wish Cheapy and Ship could have realized and defused it, since Wombat got uncomfortably silent the rest of the show, sigh.

Any case, thanks guys, the CAGcast is something I look forward to all week, each of you is indispensable to the show.

Great podcast as always... and now you guys'll have a ton of extra listeners now that the Joystiq podcast is effectively dead after the horrible "The Joystiq Show" revamp that turned it into lifeless, videogame-related NPR.

Viva la Cagcast!

I picked up Child of Eden along with Wipeout: In the Zone at Target's buy1 get 1 50% off. My 10 year old son who is a huge fan of the TV show loves the game, although parts can be frustrating, like the actual show.

As for Child of Eden, I was not a big Rez fan, but felt the need to support this title after hearing much praise for it prior to E3. It can be challenging, I have failed levels several times, so the 15-20 minutes per chapter goes out the window. It is beautiful, both visually and sonically. Accuracy isn't too big of an issue, although your right arm may get sore from flicking after locking on. Very easy to hyper-extend your elbow with this motion.

I am enjoying the game and would highly recommend it.

great podcast made me wish i could go to e3 next year...I thought cheapy was a little harsh on anarchy reigns in era full with nothing but shooter i don't mind a studio like platinum games trying something new, to many studio are playing it safe while platnium is putting out new ip. I just hope anarchy reigns is the power stone for this generation of console.

What is the constant need to bicker at Sony for not releasing "magic"? Face it Cheapy, you've been fooled by Apples marketing department.

You bought an overpriced Macbook Air and while its light, thats all it has going for it. I know you have the money and therefore don't really mind shelling out extra money but the regular person does.

Sony makes good products. They make great tvs, great games, great hardware, a LOT of stuff. Just because their marketing doesn't say "OMG DUDE ITS A MAGICAL PRODUCT", doesn't mean anything.

I don't know how to put it elegantly, but you're so tied into things like Apple's infrastructure, or the Xboxs. You called the Xperia Play a Sony fanboy phone, even though it is a great phone (based on reviews) outside the Playstation stuff. That's why you don't buy the PS3 versions of games even when they're better, and obviously so.

You're going to AT LEAST ONCE, claim how much better the iPhone is for gaming because you found cheap flash games on there. How you sat on your toilet for an hour playing that helicopter falling game clone. Even with stuff like Kinect and trying to claim it's too big? Just petty excuses, say you hate motion gaming and don't want the thing.

It's not a religion. It's a product. Stop being such a fanboy about it

And we have another anti-Sony rant by Cheapy disguised as "IM HELPING YOU SONY I SWEAR" speech.
Meanwhile, Apple releases an overpriced Macbook once again and CheapyD cannot help but preach the gospel of Apple.

It's magic , as if he's the marketing department himself. My amazing iPhone 4 and its flash game ripoffs for a dollar are magic and way better than anything Sony will ever offer. Apple is amazing for offering cloud saving, now I can play all of those flash game clones between my iPad and iPod without ever losing progress!

Ah but I'm trying to help you Sony, i swear! Remember that time a really long time ago when you gave me that magic moment? Help me become a kid again Sony, like Apple is doing now. Please.

Why Sony, aren't you pretending like all your products are magic? Magic Magic Magic, I've been fooled by Apples marketing department.

Is it just me or does it sound like to anyone else that the dynamic between Cheapy and Ship is growing and between Cheapy and Wombat its dwindling? It just seemed like in this episode Cheapy had little patience for Wombat by mostly ignoring the smart aleck quips wombat normally uses to get attention or even chastising him about his "Walkman Plus" interjection by saying "They don't call it that wombat, so I don't think it's right that we call it that"......anyone else sensing a fracture in the Old Team?

Why would anyone be looking forward to using Kinect on Mass Effect 3? You really do not need a huge fucking brick camera to shout commands. Why not just intergrate that using your live headset? I know this technology was available last generation in Socom and Lifeline, why do I really need to spend $149.99 on a kinect to use a voice only feature that a headset can do?

[quote name='Davestation']Why would anyone be looking forward to using Kinect on Mass Effect 3? You really do not need a huge fucking brick camera to shout commands. Why not just intergrate that using your live headset? I know this technology was available last generation in Socom and Lifeline, why do I really need to spend $149.99 on a kinect to use a voice only feature that a headset can do?[/QUOTE]

because the sheep will spend 149 just to do idiot shit like that that you can do already with a pack in headset so they want the $$$$$$

Could you guys please post that E3 spreadsheet? Yes, I am genuinely interested in looking at it. I am a spreadsheet lover just like shipwreck.

Wombat, if you're only interested in playing through Child of Eden once, then just rent the damn game. I doubt that you'll be able to get through it on the first try, so you'll probably take more than 90 minutes.

Starhawk has space combat. They just haven't shown it yet.

Walkman would be a poor name for Vita since it's the name of a music player and Vita's primarily a game machine.

I'm surprised that Nintendo had Wii U readily accessible on the show floor rather than hiding it behind curtains where you'd need to wait for hours or have an appointment to see it.

Nintendo had a ton of games they could've announced and shown trailers for like they did last year, but they decided to have a really short show.

A dungeon-crawling X-Men game? Do you guys mean X-Men Legends 3?

Criterion isn't making the new Need for Speed game, but the EA Black Box guys that made the NFS games before Shift.

Good show.

Thanks for bringing up how pointless all of these CG trailers are. Until the game is ready to show and ready to play, I don't care about it. It seems like a complete waste of money to me.

bread's done
Back