Photo
- - - - -

The AVENGERS 2: Age of Ultron - 5/1/15 (Cap's AOU suit pg.29)

• Please log in to reply
863 replies to this topic

#271 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

Really? I think The Avengers would be more popular than a dark Batman movie with a main villain that no one has ever heard of and another that they aren't promoting at all. Sure, the Avengers villain isn't popular at all but everyone loves The Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America and Thor, right? Plus, it looks FUN.

Most of the people that seem super hyped about the movie are big Marvel fans. I'm not saying that other people aren't going to see it, because that's not true at all, however TDK is the Wii of comic book movies, meaning it reached people outside of the typical audience for it.

The Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor definitely don't have the wide appeal Batman has though.

The movie does look fun though, just like all the other big summer blockbuster movies (most notably Battleship later this month).

I'm expecting to see things blowing up/getting destroyed by Marvel characters for 2 1/2 hours and I'll be perfectly happy if what it turns out to be.

you are a pillar of the video game/gaming community. 

Thanks you are truly a pillar of the community!

#272 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

Since this seems to be a TDKR vs. Avengers box office debate I'll add my worthless $.02 to the mix as well. I'm a huge Batman and Christoper Nolan fan but I just don't see how it can top Avengers. I really won't be surprised if Avengers ends up being up in the top 5 all time highest grossers. It is easily gonna be a billion dollar club member. Hell, overseas already has it 1/4 of the way there. The thing with Avengers that it strongly portrays a much more child/family friendly than this iteration of Batman.

TDKR on the other hand is gonna do well but unless it tops the quality of Dark Knight, there's no way its gonna get that high.

There have been Batman movies before, there will be Batman movies in the future, but an Avengers, ensemble movie is the movie that EVERYONE was sure was never going to happen. This is near-historic for comic book movies. They did it, they actually pulled it off, and for that they do deserve to be the top movie of the summer.

#273 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:36 PM

No way TDKR beats Avengers, it's already getting mixed feelings based on the trailers whereas The Avengers' trailers are just what you expect and want. There's a shitton more skepticism going into TDKR than Avengers.

#274 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

There was also a lot of skepticism for The Dark Knight, especially after Heath Ledger was announced as The Joker and look how that turned out.

#275 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:02 PM

At the end of the day, no matter how good Dark Knight Rises and Avengers are, Prometheus is by far my most anticipated movie of the summer. It'll be hard for either of them to beat for me personally.

Before I got into comic books, before I liked Batman, the Alien franchise was by far my favorite thing as a kid. I can't even tell you the number of times I rented Aliens (on VHS!) from the movie store... The fact that its back, in true form (Fuck that AVP noise, even without xenomorphs Prometheus is gonna be more of an Alien movie), has me absolutely captivated.

#276 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

Who wants to play guess the box office results for opening weekend?

My guess is 150 million.

#277 zewone

zewone

Thursday

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

I have no interest in seeing any of these Marvel movies, but I already know that Dark Knight Rises will be the better film and I'm almost positive the Avengers will make more money.

#278 tcrash247

tcrash247

ghosts.nin.com

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 May 2012 - 10:43 PM

There was also a lot of skepticism for The Dark Knight, especially after Heath Ledger was announced as The Joker and look how that turned out.

When he was cast, not when they showed trailers, two very different things.

And I agree with RedvsBlue, Prometheus is going to completely slay both movies for me, I still get chills when I watch that first teaser.

#279 CaseyRyback

CaseyRyback

Your New Nightmare!

• Super Moderators

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:14 AM

Most of the people that seem super hyped about the movie are big Marvel fans. I'm not saying that other people aren't going to see it, because that's not true at all, however TDK is the Wii of comic book movies, meaning it reached people outside of the typical audience for it.

The Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor definitely don't have the wide appeal Batman has though.

That pretty much sums up my sentiments. This movie has gotten a lot of hype, but only Iron Man has been a runaway hit up until this point. No doubt this movie will make a bunch of money, but Batman is going to put more asses in seats and he will get more repeat theater customers because he skews to a demographic that is not only wider but has more disposable income.

If Avengers doesn't do north of 170 I will be surprised, especially if projections are that it will hit over 400 domestically.

Posted Image

#280 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

Missed out on the Great Walmart glitch of 11/6 due to FLAT TIRE

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:40 AM

If Avengers doesn't do north of 170 I will be surprised, especially if projections are that it will hit over 400 domestically.

I'm sure all the marvel nerds will be seeing this 4+ times just for the hell of it.

heck I know someone who's seen all marvel movies at least 4 times each.

#281 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 12:46 AM

No way TDKR beats Avengers, it's already getting mixed feelings based on the trailers whereas The Avengers' trailers are just what you expect and want. There's a shitton more skepticism going into TDKR than Avengers.

Precisely!

----

Got my tickets for tonight from the local Cinemark theater, no Avengers 3D glasses...just the regular black ones. Whack! I'm hoping when I line up tonight they'll have them, as the clerk that I got my tickets from, had no clue what I was talking about when I asked about them.

#282 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:13 AM

Ok so i am here in Amc tysons and they started letting people in to the IMAX 3d screen at 9pm. There is an outside line forming for etx and 3d showings. I checked the avengers marathon screen and its packed. The imax screen is slowly filling up. got a free cool poster..but no collectible glasses. oh well.

#283 Ratchet & CAG

Ratchet & CAG

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:27 AM

Ok so i am here in Amc tysons and they started letting people in to the IMAX 3d screen at 9pm. There is an outside line forming for etx and 3d showings. I checked the avengers marathon screen and its packed. The imax screen is slowly filling up. got a free cool poster..but no collectible glasses. oh well.

Free poster?

We were planning on getting there by 10 pm, might have to move it at 9 now.

#284 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:52 AM

Yes there seems to be a few posters ..an imax exclusive group shot . Double sided posters containing iron man nick fury cap america and so on so look out for that. They got plenty.

#285 KaneRobot

KaneRobot

The Profit$ of Doom

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:04 AM

Not going until Saturday afternoon. The lower-priced tickets make it easier to accept.

This money game is stupid. The Dark Knight Rises will be the better film. The Avengers will be the more enjoyable one that holds up to repeat viewings. The directors histories prove as much.

"Avengers is more enjoyable and you'll want to rewatch it! But Batman is better despite not being as enjoyable and not as appealing to rewatch later."

Knock it off. If your own statement is true, and no one knows whether it is or not yet, Avengers will wind up as the better film. The movie-snobbish "director" argument is nonsense.
Posted Image

#286 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 05:16 AM

Waiting in line for it now. It's crazy busy, they even closed off part of the parking lot for lines. Also someone came dressed up as Green Lantern :lol:

#287 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 06:56 AM

Just got back from it. Pretty damn good. Although I think
Spoiler

Didn't get to watch the post-credits scene(s) since AMC were dumbasses and cut the credits off. Fuckers.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#288 Predator Ranger

Predator Ranger

Admiral Awesome

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:19 AM

Hey. You're free to be wrong. But the fact is that a Nolan film requires more nuance and attention than a Whedon film. The directors play to different strengths and their filmography proves as much. Nolan could never make Cabin In The Woods, like Whedon couldn't make Inception. If you're blind to see that, that's your problem.

Spoken like a true movie snob.

Also: just got to sit in a real chair for the first time in about 14 hours. The Avengers is a ton of fun -- I loved the entire thing.
Posted Image

#289 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Also: just got to sit in a real chair for the first time in about 14 hours. The Avengers is a ton of fun -- I loved the entire thing.

holy shit you sat thru the marathon?

apparently lots of people did to the marathon as well as I snuck into a screen and saw the theater packed.

#290 ITDEFX

ITDEFX

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 07:42 AM

Just came back and I must say I enjoyed the movie. Worth a second viewing.
Spoiler

They showed the following trailers
TDKR trailer 1
The Amazing Spiderman Trailer 2
Dark shadows
Frankenweenie
The hobbit
Prometheus trailer 2
MIB3 trailer 2

Glad studios released the newest trailers online.

and some pics for fun

(she actually had the best costume...not bad looking either)

Edited by ITDEFX, 04 May 2012 - 07:53 AM.

#291 Tsel

Tsel

The Dark Knight

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:31 AM

I fucking loved the movie from start to finish, especially how humorous it was. Thor is so goddamn funny. I couldn't even pinpoint one favorite scene because I pretty much loved them all.

I'm kind of upset that I didn't get any cool glasses and the previews were shit. We got:

TDKR
Frankenweenie
Brave
Battleship

And I believe that was it. Also, the two post credit scenes were amazing. Let's just say I had a HUGE mark out moment for the first scene and the second one was just downright hilarious.

453605.png
TheTsel.png

#292 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Got back from it, and IMO it's easily better than all the other Marvel Studios movies combined. Had some good humor, good action, and I can't really think of any parts where I was bored.

I also liked that Tony Stark was less of an asshole and more of a smartass.

No new Spider-Man trailer, which was disappointing. I know I can watch it online, but I prefer to see it a theater. Did get TDKR trailer though. Everyone was being loud, but once that trailer showed up the theater was silent, then there was cheering and applause after. I can only think of one other time when that's happened for a preview.

#293 UncleBob

UncleBob

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:38 AM

Did the marathon. Fun night. :D
"The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy, instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it."

#294 snakemaster2389

snakemaster2389

Temporarily Banned

• Temporarily Banned Users

Posted 04 May 2012 - 09:50 AM

saw it at midnite and it was good, a lil too many cheesy moments but still fun but def cant wait for dark knight. heres the trailers i saw:
Battleship
The Dictator
Dark Knight
Prometheus
Spider Man
Frankenweenie
Brave
Twitter: @marcandretta check out my reviews @ http://bgbureau.com & www.marcandretta.tumblr.com Check Out My Youtube Channel!http://www.youtube.com/snakemaster2389 NEED A REVIEWER/WRITER? PM ME!!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#295 HanawayCoca

HanawayCoca

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:32 AM

SO MUCH FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was such a good fun movie to watch!

3D was beautiful! Esp the last 30 mins!

Finally, a film that felt like a real comicbook movie!

Best line:
Spoiler
<- GOOSEBUMPS!

#296 LinkinPrime

LinkinPrime

Always in our hearts...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:37 AM

Epic. This is truly a live comic book movie. The most fun movie experience I have had. Although I'm still looking forward to TDKR, I can't see how I'll end up liking it better than this...specially since the trailers for it seem to make it look pretty bland.

#297 supermodestmouse

supermodestmouse

Gotta Catch Em All!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:58 AM

Got back from the Marathon not too long ago. It was only 5 movies (they cut out Hulk), but its ok. I still had a good time and our theater wasn't too crowded. They handed out the special glasses to the IMAX and RDX folks but a guy was kind enough to give me a pair as we were leaving :)

It was fun getting to know other ppl in the theater and talking about what we liked, didn't like and generally nerding out :)

We didn't get ANY previews at all...I was kind of disappointed cuz I wanted to see TDKR preview :( but oh well.

@ITDEFX - Which AMC did you go to? It looks oddly familiar
http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=224637

smiles are free, don't be stingy :lol:

#298 whoknows

whoknows

TIme and Eternity #1 Fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

You mean film snob.

Only the uneducated refer to films as movies.

#299 Angry Man

Angry Man

REV-OH-LU-TION!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

You mean film snob. Only the uneducated refer to films as movies.

So that means the vast majority are now "uneducated" since that's what people call them.

New sig coming soon.

#300 Donut2922

Donut2922

Read the OP!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Waiting in line for it now. It's crazy busy, they even closed off part of the parking lot for lines. Also someone came dressed up as Green Lantern :lol:

lol awesome

I agree with Golden Idol though. The story and themes that Nolan induces into his film are meant to make the audience think more after the movie closes.

Now playing:

:ps4: Destiny
:ps3: God of War: Ascension

:360: The Walking Dead Season Two: Episode 3