Does Amazon Ban for Canceling Pre-Orders?

Antipodes

CAGiversary!
I've been pre-ordering many games early from Amazon so that I get the best price and any stacking promotions from their pre-order guarantee. If an unreleased game pops-up in my gold box, I'll pre-order just in case it turns out to be something I want. Prior to launch, if the game looks uninteresting and/or does not the right pricing incentive, I end up canceling my pre-order. On the surface, this is the smartest way of pre-ordering and has no drawbacks.

My question is whether Amazon counts these cancellations against me. Recently, I've become curious about Amazon bans and Amazon's explanation for these bans has been (intentionally) vague. Specifically, they list too many "concession incidents" as a reason for account closure, which could possibly include cancelling pre-orders.

The idea of being banned scares me 1) my Amazon Prime subscription was just renewed for another year 2) own a Kindle which would become a brick without an Amazon account 3) buy MP3s from Amazon and use their cloud service.

I spend a lot of money at Amazon and almost never harass customer service for the "one time exceptions". For example, when the pre-order of Dragon Age 2 PC dropped to $50, I did not ask for my Signature Edition pre-order price to be matched, even though technically it should have been. However, I'm not sure that I'm on Amazon's good side since I've recently returned a TV and exchanged a monitor for a replacement because it had two dead pixels.

I fully understand that Amazon needs to curb bad/picky behavior because it is very expensive to them, but straight-up bans without warning and for loosely-defined reasons seem too draconian. A restricted account that does not allow for "concessions" makes much more sense.

I've lately reconsidered whether it is a good thing that Amazon does not (directly) charge tax. Wiping out the competition from this advantage might not be a good thing in the long term when there is a possibility of being banned completely from their service.

Here is a link to the SD Amazon Ban wiki:
http://archive.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=6764&t=908910&highlight=amazon#edit12745184

No, they don't ban you for cancelling orders. I have cancelled dozens of orders, and I suspect most other people on here have ordered and cancelled quite a bit of stuff.

I read the Slick Deals thread, and it sounds like 'concession incident' means they lose money on dealing with you -- preorders don't cost them anything since they don't charge until they ship, so they aren't offering you refunds or taking returns on items. I know that a lot of people will order something to get the preorder pricing guarantee, and then cancel if the price doesn't drop low enough. You're fine.

While cancelling pre-order is minor compared to returning a big screen TV, it still does impact retailers negatively. Retailers must order at least as many copies as there are pre-orders, and cancelling them can cause the product to be overstocked.

Nope only when you canceled post-orders. Alternatively, you may keep your order open for 30-days windows (10 times per 3 days) for any post-orders while waiting for your payment to clear using expired cc as a backup. While you at within 30 days, you may able to request price-match, bundle with other item, or go to Best Buy to play the demo/electronic/tv as a showroom then come back here to decide if you want to order them or cancel.

Not in my experience. I'm a Prime customer also, I do a lot of business with them annually, have canceled I don't know how many orders over the years when I found a better price. I place Subscribe-and-Save orders for the 15% off and cancel the subscription (as do many people) and they've never balked.

I have to assume that people who get their accounts yanked at Amazon must be acting like major asshats in some fashion. They certainly aren't going to say "they canceled my account because I acted like an asshat", because, well, asshats are too asshatty to realize they're asshats.

In the short: you will most likely not be banned for canceling pre-orders
Reasoning: Most of the people that get banned are the ones who buy big bulk items (ex. TVs) and abuse the hassle free return policy more frequently than they should. The basic fact is if you're constantly returning items to them you are costing them a lot of money and they feel that your business is not worth the cost of this burden.

Thanks. Not-yet-released games keep popping up in my goldbox so I'll continue to pre-order and hope they don't care about cancels.

I really want to order another TV from Amazon but I'm too scared it will have dead pixels, horrible backlight bleeding, or shipping damage.

bread's done
Back