3DS Resident evil - game doesnt let you delete saves.

exceed19

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
So whats everyones opinion on this. They are not letting you delete the saved game(s) at all, OR start a new save point.

From IGN:
http://ds.ign.com/articles/117/1179195p1.html

Sorry if this has been posted before. I was about to BUY a 3ds today, and get resident evil this week, but not now. Seriously, this makes NO sense. A lot of us buy games not to trade in, but to collect them, and go back and REPLAY them. I see that they are trying to halt the practice of games that are sold and bought in the used market, but there are other ways to do that such as downloadable content, or registration (like the MK online pass). But to hinder a product from the get-go, brand new - is not right.

This is totally un-called for. What is your take?

Capcom can get fucked. Hopefully they lose a lot of sales because of it.

PS I wish reviewers would get some balls and take away from the overall score for it.

#1 - its complete bullshit from capcom

#2 - Nintendo shouldnt be allowing this to even pass certification, just like sony shouldn't allow their drm to be used for third parties

#3 - The game was overpriced as is (wouldnt be more then 10-15 bucks on psn/xbla, in HD + more), now its just plane rape. Welcome to nintendos new gen of restrictions. No new saves so you cant resell your game, no region free, 10 dollar tax on games that look like psp1 games, etc.

Ill stick to my android tab for gaming.

[quote name='blitz6speed']#1 - its complete bullshit from capcom.[/QUOTE]

Yep.

#3 - The game was overpriced as is (wouldnt be more then 10-15 bucks on psn/xbla, in HD + more), now its just plane rape. Welcome to nintendos new gen of restrictions. No new saves so you cant resell your game, no region free, 10 dollar tax on games that look like psp1 games, etc.

Ill stick to my android tab for gaming.

And then you lost me. Plane rape aside, this is Capcom, not Nintendo doing this [see your point #1].

So let me add this question in - would this affect you purchasing games that have a lock on them like this? For me, it does 100%. My view is once I purchase something, it is mine as long as I dont pirate it (warez), and I stick to all LEGAL guidelines, I should be able to do with it what I want. This has NOTHING to do with making "backups" of games.

Another side would be this : I borrow games ALL the time from friends, to see if I would purchase them. This now prevents the "hype up" of borrowing a game, being blown away by it, and having to buy it. I can tell you that amount, is (and I know _we_ here at CAG are a different breed, we are not "casual" gamers) in the THOUSANDS.

Capcom is really doing a fan disservice here. What worries me, is that this could be the norm in the future. And that is the day I hang up my consoles, or just keep playing what I have purchased previously, but not support developers further.

[quote name='exceed19']So let me add this question in - would this affect you purchasing games that have a lock on them like this? For me, it does 100%. My view is once I purchase something, it is mine as long as I dont pirate it (warez), and I stick to all LEGAL guidelines, I should be able to do with it what I want. This has NOTHING to do with making "backups" of games.

Another side would be this : I borrow games ALL the time from friends, to see if I would purchase them. This now prevents the "hype up" of borrowing a game, being blown away by it, and having to buy it. I can tell you that amount, is (and I know _we_ here at CAG are a different breed, we are not "casual" gamers) in the THOUSANDS.[/QUOTE]

First off, this isn't the first game I've heard of that is effectively un-borrowable. The Pokemon series springs to mind here, as there's only one save file per cartridge. Someone couldn't start a new game without erasing all of your progress. What Capcom is doing is taking that one step further...although granted it's a pretty big step.

How much I'd care about a single locked save that I cannot reset depends on what the game is...something like Tetris, all I'd lose is the ability to set the initial high score. Whereas if it was a game with any single player campaign, I'd lose access to large chunks of the game, if not the entire game.

So, before I get outraged over what Capcom's doing, I'd have to ask...exactly what does someone "lose" from the game if they borrowed it from someone who completed the entire game?

[quote name='Jobbercho']It only saves high scores and unlockables. There isn't a story mode to this game at all. I'm not saying that I like the idea, but in this case, it's not really a big deal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think this is pretty shitty, but really is it a big deal if you are buying new? The only thing that sucks about this is if you buy pre-owned.

I'll probably pick it up on a sale later on still.

[quote name='exceed19']A lot of us buy games not to trade in, but to collect them, and go back and REPLAY them.[/QUOTE]

As has been said before, this game is all a bunch of arcade-y missions, so you will be able to replay to your heart's content.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Welcome to nintendos new gen of restrictions. No new saves so you cant resell your game[/QUOTE]
This has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo. It's Capcom's decision.

[quote name='blitz6speed']#1 - its complete bullshit from capcom

#2 - Nintendo shouldnt be allowing this to even pass certification, just like sony shouldn't allow their drm to be used for third parties

Ill stick to my android tab for gaming.[/QUOTE]

Does your anti-nintendo trolling have no bounds? This is a capcom bullshit move. CAPCOM. And considering you are sticking to your android tab for gaming, could you be any more of an obvious toll?

By the way, who is big enough to rape a plane?

____

I already ordered mine so it kinda sucks but I'm not gonna send it back or anything. But it is stupid to use this tactic to ruin used game sales.

[quote name='confoosious']Does your anti-nintendo trolling have no bounds? This is a capcom bullshit move. CAPCOM. And considering you are sticking to your android tab for gaming, could you be any more of an obvious toll?

By the way, who is big enough to rape a plane?

____

I already ordered mine so it kinda sucks but I'm not gonna send it back or anything. But it is stupid to use this tactic to ruin used game sales.[/QUOTE]

Megatron.

Shitty move by Capcom, good thing this game didn't interest me anyway. $40 mini-game with no story or single player campaign... just timed based mission.

This isn't the first time we've seen it, as Super Monkey Ball did the same exact thing. As much as I hate Capcom's move to do this, Nintendo should really step up and make a restriction on this. If we're already seeing two games with the same limitations this early on the console, we'll see in the future.

[quote name='Ichigo1993']This isn't the first time we've seen it, as Super Monkey Ball did the same exact thing. As much as I hate Capcom's move to do this, Nintendo should really step up and make a restriction on this. If we're already seeing two games with the same limitations this early on the console, we'll see in the future.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo doesnt care... if they cared they would have told Aksys to get arc to fix Blazblue CS 2. Seriously you cant stand by in that, but were drawing the line at cant delete saves?

To Capcom:
117xlw8ltsv.gif

Looks like I am not buying a 3DS then, I will stick to my regular DS and my PS2, both of which do not feature things like this.

Pokemon gives you an option to delete the previous save file if you want to start a new game, in which all of the previous player's progress is gone so a new player can start. From my understanding the RE game does not have a "new game" option.

I don't see what Pokemon is doing as a problem, the likely reason for that is because the Pokemon save files are huge, they have to hold data on all the pokemon and events you collect throughout the game. My guess is there simply isn't room for 2 save files per Pokemon cart.

I like to buy games cheaply and I like to buy games used, if this ever becomes a problem then I will hang up my controllers or just play what I already have, and honestly I have enough games to last me a lifetime and many more that I have not bought and played for the systems that I have yet.

[quote name='SaraAB']Looks like I am not buying a 3DS then, I will stick to my regular DS and my PS2, both of which do not feature things like this.[/QUOTE]

It doesn't make sense to discriminate against an entire system because of one game.

[quote name='SaraAB']Looks like I am not buying a 3DS then, I will stick to my regular DS and my PS2, both of which do not feature things like this.

Pokemon gives you an option to delete the previous save file if you want to start a new game, in which all of the previous player's progress is gone so a new player can start. From my understanding the RE game does not have a "new game" option.

I don't see what Pokemon is doing as a problem, the likely reason for that is because the Pokemon save files are huge, they have to hold data on all the pokemon and events you collect throughout the game. My guess is there simply isn't room for 2 save files per Pokemon cart.

I like to buy games cheaply and I like to buy games used, if this ever becomes a problem then I will hang up my controllers or just play what I already have, and honestly I have enough games to last me a lifetime and many more that I have not bought and played for the systems that I have yet.[/QUOTE]

Like I said before there are GBA games that don't allow you to erase your game save, and likely DS games that we dont know about.

For example Bomberman on GBA does not allow you to erase game save
http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285993

IIRC Sims 2 on DS also does not allow you to erase game save

[quote name='SaraAB']Looks like I am not buying a 3DS then, I will stick to my regular DS and my PS2, both of which do not feature things like this.

I like to buy games cheaply and I like to buy games used, if this ever becomes a problem then I will hang up my controllers or just play what I already have, and honestly I have enough games to last me a lifetime and many more that I have not bought and played for the systems that I have yet.[/QUOTE]
Pokemon and this game are worlds apart. If the game is exactly like the version in the console games you wont even unlock weapons. (I believe those are unlocked by coins only.) I have yet to hear 1 solid reason to WANT to reset past "maybe if the planets align I might want to restart". Seriously gamestop will still accept it (most likely wont be affected by this) and theres not much to unlock. Its basically an arcade game... you unlock more stages and a few characters + a costume. Not a whole lot to unlock/justify restarting.

[quote name='utopianmachine']It doesn't make sense to discriminate against an entire system because of one game.[/QUOTE]

Completely agreed, especially since we actually have no idea how much this will be seen. I highly doubt it'd be used a lot for this console, and Capcom is the main one that is into all this crap. I'm not at all worried about this becoming "the norm" for the 3DS and I don't think any of you guys should be either.

[quote name='Rocko']This has absolutely nothing to do with Nintendo. It's Capcom's decision.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo signed off on this decision by allowing it to pass cert, so nintendo is at fault here.

[quote name='theflicker']And then you lost me. Plane rape aside, this is Capcom, not Nintendo doing this [see your point #1].[/QUOTE]

Hadn't slept for a while when i made the post, i meant Plain of course, my bad. This is a nintendo problem as far as i am concerned, they are allowing this to happen, so they are the problem.

[quote name='confoosious']Does your anti-nintendo trolling have no bounds? This is a capcom bullshit move. CAPCOM. And considering you are sticking to your android tab for gaming, could you be any more of an obvious toll?[/QUOTE]

As far as portable gaming is concerned, a Android tab and phone will suit me more then fine, i get games for 99 cents or free from amazon app store, or i could pay 40 for one from nintendo and get restrictions like this. Times have changed, nintendo has to do MORE to compete for my dollars, not try harder to make me not consider them as a company to buy from.

[quote name='utopianmachine']It doesn't make sense to discriminate against an entire system because of one game.[/QUOTE]

It makes perfect sense. When Bionic Commando ReArmed 2 came out, only the PSN version had the stupid DRM. Know why? Because Microsoft does not allow non-standard DRM ontop of their own setup. So the experience is the same regardless of any XBLA game you purchase. So the capcom PSN DRM is Sonys fault for allowing third partys to use that DRM, and this Mercenaries 3D is Nintendos fault for allowing this to be done on their system. Its not rocket science.

P.S. - Super Monkey Ball 3DS also does the same thing, it is not a Capcom exclusive BS feature, it is a Nintendo 3DS feature. But no one bought Monkey Ball 3DS so we just heard about it now even tho it was a launch title.

[quote name='blitz6speed']
As far as portable gaming is concerned, a Android tab and phone will suit me more then fine, i get games for 99 cents or free from amazon app store, or i could pay 40 for one from nintendo and get restrictions like this. Times have changed, nintendo has to do MORE to compete for my dollars, not try harder to make me not consider them as a company to buy from.
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly my point. If you love your android tab and phone so much, cool. Everyone can game wherever they want. I got no problems with the android gaming scene.

My question is: why the hell are you in a nintendo 3ds specific game thread then, besides being a douchebag and making a mockery of the English language.

If we don't oppose the idea now then what will happen is EVERY 3DS game will feature this. Just like what happened with DLC, if we all opposed it back then, then we would still be getting full games on discs and we wouldn't have to worry about paying extra to unlock maps and stuff like that.

Nintendo allowed this to happen, and yes it is worlds different than what is happened with every other game in the past. I have never met a game that didn't allow you to either 1. erase game data or 2. start new game. I guess when Nintendo said they are going to be implementing new measures to prevent piracy this was one of the things they were planning.

If this continues to happen I will definitely not be buying a 3DS, as much as I want to buy Nintendo's new system too many things are putting me off towards it right now. I am not trolling Nintendo I own a ton of their products and buy a lot of their games but the 3DS is just being done wrong IMO.

[quote name='confoosious']That's exactly my point. If you love your android tab and phone so much, cool. Everyone can game wherever they want. I got no problems with the android gaming scene.

My question is: why the hell are you in a nintendo 3ds specific game thread then, besides being a douchebag and making a mockery of the English language.[/QUOTE]

Because i have been wanting to find a excuse to buy a 3DS, just like i own every platform available since and im a tech whore who buys stuff just to have it. So things like games being disposable like razor blades, like RE Mercs 3DS is, is of course something i'd be taking note of, and of course it also concerns me about the Wii U and what nintendo will try to get away with then as well.

[quote name='SaraAB']If we don't oppose the idea now then what will happen is EVERY 3DS game will feature this. Just like what happened with DLC, if we all opposed it back then, then we would still be getting full games on discs and we wouldn't have to worry about paying extra to unlock maps and stuff like that.

Nintendo allowed this to happen, and yes it is worlds different than what is happened with every other game in the past. I have never met a game that didn't allow you to either 1. erase game data or 2. start new game. I guess when Nintendo said they are going to be implementing new measures to prevent piracy this was one of the things they were planning.

If this continues to happen I will definitely not be buying a 3DS, as much as I want to buy Nintendo's new system too many things are putting me off towards it right now. I am not trolling Nintendo I own a ton of their products and buy a lot of their games but the 3DS is just being done wrong IMO.[/QUOTE]

This isn't an anti-piracy measure.

Also, there's no way anyone could have prevented DLC.

[quote name='confoosious']This isn't an anti-piracy measure.

Also, there's no way anyone could have prevented DLC.[/QUOTE]

This.

A lot of people are generally uninformed (I met a person who never knew PSN had network cards...) and DLC rarely does really well.

Capcom has a history of over protecting their games. When PSN was down, Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2 and the Final Fight and Magic Sword game pack were unplayable because the DRM system required an online check before play. There was no way to get around it. The online check was to confirm that the account running the game was the same as the one playing it, which was placed to prevent PSN game sharing between multiple consoles.

I'm not thrilled about this feature, but that's what the game developers wanted to do so that's what they did. It's completely absurd to lay all the blame on Nintendo for "allowing it".

Personally, I wouldn't want Nintendo to force third party developers into adjusting their games to fit strict guidelines. Sure it would be nice to know that all 3DS save files could be erased, but that would also mean that if the developers REALLY wanted to lock save data, the game would probably never be released. The fact that Nintendo DOESN'T enforce strict guidelines is exactly why any problem you have with a game is between you and the game developers.

I do hope that there's enough backlash to make Capcom realize that moves like this aren't in their best interests. I definitely don't want to see this becoming the rule instead of the exception, but I really don't think this will ever be a problem with any of the higher profile games.

Maybe if I were really excited about this game I would be more disappointed, but the promo video made it look pretty unimpressive. It seems to me like anyone who really wanted to play this will buy it anyway. If you decide not to buy a game for the simple fact that you cant erase save data, you probably weren't all that excited about it to begin with.

Lastly, I'm seeing more and more people who are apparently under the impression that the gaming industry leaders (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) are going to go out of their way to please you, the individual consumer threatening to not support them. Nintendo especially is definitely not going to adapt their games or services to appeal to you as an individual. They do what they do and the people who like it buy it and the people who don't don't. There will always be people who aren't impressed with certain games or features, but the fact remains that they really don't need to please you. After all, these are gaming empires and you're just one consumer with a false sense of entitlement and a bad attitude.

[quote name='pippin']

Lastly, I'm seeing more and more people who are apparently under the impression that the gaming industry leaders (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony) are going to go out of their way to please you, the individual consumer threatening to not support them. Nintendo especially is definitely not going to adapt their games or services to appeal to you as an individual. They do what they do and the people who like it buy it and the people who don't don't. There will always be people who aren't impressed with certain games or features, but the fact remains that they really don't need to please you. After all, these are gaming empires and you're just one consumer with a false sense of entitlement and a bad attitude.[/QUOTE]

I don't think anyone is asking them to go out of their way by allowing more then one save. I think it is in their best interest to please at least the large majority of us or you know, we wouldn't buy their product. I don't see why consumers shouldn't have a sense of entitlement, we pay the money, so we expect certain kind of products!

While I don't like how they are doing this, this is one of the games I'll be picking up regardless because I want some 3DS game to play online with some of my friends and I liked the mercenaries modes on the other REs, and while the save thing sucks, as some people have said in a game like this it really doesn't matter because it's just characters and ranks and such, and honestly I'd prefer to always have all of the characters since it makes a game like this last longer imo.

[quote name='admiralvic']Pokemon and this game are worlds apart. If the game is exactly like the version in the console games you wont even unlock weapons. (I believe those are unlocked by coins only.) I have yet to hear 1 solid reason to WANT to reset past "maybe if the planets align I might want to restart". Seriously gamestop will still accept it (most likely wont be affected by this) and theres not much to unlock. Its basically an arcade game... you unlock more stages and a few characters + a costume. Not a whole lot to unlock/justify restarting.[/QUOTE]
Maybe because the only progression in the game is unlocking the content(which is more than just a few stages, characters and costumes).

Reviews are starting to roll in. Looks like the lack of content is what is really going to hurt this game. Glad I didn't jump on the Best Buy offer and waited for reviews, I'll wait for this to hit $20.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Nintendo signed off on this decision by allowing it to pass cert, so nintendo is at fault here.

When Bionic Commando ReArmed 2 came out, only the PSN version had the stupid DRM. Know why? Because Microsoft does not allow non-standard DRM ontop of their own setup. So the experience is the same regardless of any XBLA game you purchase. So the capcom PSN DRM is Sonys fault for allowing third partys to use that DRM, and this Mercenaries 3D is Nintendos fault for allowing this to be done on their system. Its not rocket science.

P.S. - Super Monkey Ball 3DS also does the same thing, it is not a Capcom exclusive BS feature, it is a Nintendo 3DS feature. But no one bought Monkey Ball 3DS so we just heard about it now even tho it was a launch title.[/QUOTE]

And that's why you're selling your PS3, right?

I can delete my save files on Pilotwings and OoT. This is not a "Nintendo 3DS feature" it is a BS feature determined by each game publisher.

This seriously puts Capcom in the running for the title of Worst Publisher now next to EA and Activision.

What bothers me is they released $40 game of an essentially what should of been a $15 PSN title and then on top of that, said you can't delete saves. Nintendo has nothing to do with this. Just because Nintendo let this pass, doesn't mean Nintendo is at harm. Face it, Nintendo doesn't want to make enemies with companies and strict guidelines will make enemies, fast. Sure this practice is complete BS, yes but at the same time Nintendo just can't go say to every publisher what to do and can't do.

So apparently they think a $40 PSN title is a good idea yet when the subject of Megaman Legends 3 comes around it's oh I don't know, maybe? What kind of fucking idiots are working there.

[quote name='docvinh']I don't think anyone is asking them to go out of their way by allowing more then one save. I think it is in their best interest to please at least the large majority of us or you know, we wouldn't buy their product. I don't see why consumers shouldn't have a sense of entitlement, we pay the money, so we expect certain kind of products![/QUOTE]

I definitely have a sense of entitlement about products, and I will not buy a product until I feel a product meets my needs. The more money I have to spend the more I will feel like a product should have the features that I want it to have, regardless of the features that it actually has. After all I am paying the money and I am the consumer so I have every right to decide what I buy and what I don't buy. If I don't like a product then I don't buy it, or I wait for it to get the features I want it to have.

What I will not do is complain after I buy a product, when I buy a product I know what I am getting into. I do not own an electronics or gaming product that I purchased at retail that I am not satisfied with.

I don't see anything wrong with being this way, as long as I don't complain about something after I have bought it, then it would be hypocritical.

I waited like 2-3 years for apple to make an iPod touch with a camera and to get rid of all the crap like iTunes song DRM (though that doesn't affect me since I don't buy music from iTunes) and to get rid of paid software updates for the iPod touch plus a few other things I didn't like about apple. It was so worth it to wait for the 4th gen iPod touch that I am willing to wait 2-3 more years for a better 3DS. I am just really good at the concept of delayed gratification.

This is one of those times where I feel like I live in some kind of bizarro world, since I literally don't understand the outrage this has generated. Like, this has become an actual news item in the gaming community. I can't wrap my head around it.

Look, I get that there are implications here. I do. People worry that if Capcom does it this time that it'll mean they'll do it again, so let's all not buy Mercenaries because of it. The unfortunate bottom line there is, though, that the message Capcom will see is that people aren't interested in the game itself or 3DS games, not the save situation. If the game isn't great, that's fine, but I'm beginning to worry that this situation is going to negatively impact reviews beyond the scope of necessity.

As people pointed out, too, this isn't anything new. Sega did the exact same thing with Monkey Ball and no one flipped shit about it. It's what bugs me about this... no one cares until it negatively effects things they care about. Seriously, how many Monkey Ball reviews bothered to mention this? If they did, was it presented in the same light as this situation? People aren't villifying Sega... yet Capcom is getting roasted. Hell, people in this thread are even taking the extra step and placing blame on Nintendo. It's just baffling to me. You either care about the concept, or care about the fact that this is happening with a property/company you care about. Honest answer... how many of you would be flipping as much shit if this flap was about Sega and Monkey Ball?

I'm still, by the way, not totally convinced this was anything beyond a poor design choice by Capcom. The articles I read seem to conjure up these images of Capcom executives sitting in a dark room with a cauldron and cackling about how no one will be able to buy this game used. If this was a game like Revelations, that's seemingly reasonable. However, for a game like Mercenaries, it's not nearly as important to be able to 'start over'. Until this situation hits a linear, story-based game I don't think there's any reason to panic.

I'm not trying to attack anyone here, I'm really not. I just literally can't wrap my head around the mess that this has turned into.

bread's done
Back