CAGcast #245: Pussyface

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#31 CaptainJoel

CaptainJoel

Captain fuckin' Marvel

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

I hate when I have an evening to play and I spend half of it downloading updates too. Is the Xbox 360 much better than the PS3 with this type of problem?

Yes, I have seriously never had it happen on the 360. Updates on there are generally just faster.

#32 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

How shiny are your balls?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 08:59 PM

Yes, I have seriously never had it happen on the 360. Updates on there are generally just faster.

They're much smaller on XBL so the servers aren't pushing out big updates, which is why they're faster. I've had it happen on Xbox 360 in Bad Company 2, as I had to spend the better part of an hour downloading a multiplayer update in-game before I could play it for the first time. The same thing happened in Fable 2, where I was forced to download one of the compatability packs to play the game for the first time in about two years.

#33 Abear21

Abear21

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:53 PM

Great show, funny as usual with just the right amount of actual gaming news and media/internet/bullshit news.

Replying only because you guys should leave the book talk alone! Digital books are a real thing (e-books) and I wrote one! It's on Kindle and Nook (e-readers) and anything you can download a Kindle App on (everything).

For this grave error you should plug my book (Love Loss Translated) on your next show! I'm an aspiring writer and would greatly appreciate it...and if you guys want to read it and respond that would be awesome too, just don't forget to rate it on Amazon.

Thanks, even though you won't do any of that, and keep up the good work!

#34 usickenme

usickenme

I'm the a-hole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:57 PM

My second child also had a quick birth <30 minutes compared to my first which was around 8 hours. I think its common for the second to happen faster.

I liked the quick- what are you listening to segment. Shippy- I bought that Buddy Holly cover songs. I really wanted it to be better. The Pat Dinizio (lead singer of the Smithereens) Cover CD is quite good

#35 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 09:58 PM

I hate when I have an evening to play and I spend half of it downloading updates too. Is the Xbox 360 much better than the PS3 with this type of problem?

It's almost unnoticeable. Game updates in less than a minute in most cases. On a few rare occassions it's been longer. System updates are rarer (twice a year) and usually take 5-10 minutes. Not bashing the PS3 but this aspect was definitely better designed.

#36 banodyne

banodyne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

The highlight of the show was when Wombat took the wind out of his sails just as Cheapy was winding up one of his Apple love fests.

#37 shafnitz

shafnitz

Twinkle twinkle, baby!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

So one more thing to add to your PS3 rant, Cheapy:
WTF is up with background downloading something and then still having to manually install it. Why would I download something and not want to have it ready to play? It should be installed as soon as its done downloading. Drives me nuts.

Shafnitz.png

#38 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Not a fan of the Xbox 360 Netflix app since it's slower to load, lacks subtitles, and I'm not a fan of using the Xbox 360 controller with it.

I'm not a fan of the Backbreaker games on iOS since they're more enjoyable with buttons and analog sticks instead of virtual buttons. Plus, these modes originated from the retail game, so this game takes out the best parts of that game for a quicker, easier to access XBLA game.

I think Automatic Update doesn't install firmware updates for you because you have to authorize it, because they'd probably get in legal trouble if you didn't have the option to not update. Imagine the shit Sony would get in if the Linux removal update was mandatory for everybody.

People have mentioned before that the Automatic Download creates a list of the games you've played, so you should start up all of the games you own that you want it to keep updated. You could've easily started it up for a second and quit out so that it's on the list to be updated and your problem's solved. It could be better, but I don't think it's a terrible feature/idea.

Decent show.

#39 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:26 PM

You can say whatever you want about the PS3 download/install/update situation, but the fact is, it's seriously inferior to their competitor which released their system a year earlier. I still don't understand how this happened.

#40 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

I didn't say it wasn't. Just giving you tips on how to make the best of the situation, though you tend to ignore them anyway.

#41 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:40 AM

Great podcast, glad to hear that everything is good with Shipwreck.

#42 PigheadedBobobo

PigheadedBobobo

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

cheapy you say you are tired of having capcom cash in on street fighter with the new arcade edition, but both the re-releases of street fighter 4 have been $40, not $60 like you said. Also, you can buy the super street fighter 4 arcade edition content as dlc for ssf4. The disc version is really only for people who don't own street fighter 4 yet and want to get all the content

#43 Conboy

Conboy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

Great show this week guys. Wombat, having another kid has brought your game up a notch. Pussyface for the win! Friski, the BFBC2 update that took so long, was the Vietnam update and was over a 1gig. That is a rare large update, and is game specific, would be the same for all systems. The PS3 update system definitely needs to be improved for their next console.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#44 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

Great show this week guys. Wombat, having another kid has brought your game up a notch. Pussyface for the win! Friski, the BFBC2 update that took so long, was the Vietnam update and was over a 1gig. That is a rare large update, and is game specific, would be the same for all systems. The PS3 update system definitely needs to be improved for their next console.

This was a few months before Vietnam, so it was a normal MP update for Bad Company 2.

Edit: Just looked it up, that 468 MB update I downloaded was on 8/5/2010 and Vietnam wasn't until December 2010. That made me download a 1.7 GB update in February 2011. Unless I missed them, these cannot be downloaded, like in the background, from the marketplace, so that's more of an issue than the huge updates themselves. At least the Burnout Paradise updates were released as DLC that you could get beforehand, but MS hasn't allowed in-game DLC purchases to be downloaded in the background to solve the instances where that's an annoyance.

#45 bickle

bickle

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:44 AM

cheapy you say you are tired of having capcom cash in on street fighter with the new arcade edition, but both the re-releases of street fighter 4 have been $40, not $60 like you said. Also, you can buy the super street fighter 4 arcade edition content as dlc for ssf4. The disc version is really only for people who don't own street fighter 4 yet and want to get all the content

$40 + $40 + $20 (or $40) + whatever the final cost of DLC = an approximate shitton. They are really milking it for more than its worth.

#46 FriskyTanuki

FriskyTanuki

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:04 AM

$40 + $40 + $20 (or $40) + whatever the final cost of DLC = an approximate shitton. They are really milking it for more than its worth.

The fans support them by continuing to buy them and all of the overpriced costumes, so they're just getting what they want from Capcom. I don't have any problems with developers and publishers giving their fans what they want.

#47 PigheadedBobobo

PigheadedBobobo

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:36 AM

$40 + $40 + $20 (or $40) + whatever the final cost of DLC = an approximate shitton.

ssf4 ($20 on amazon) + the arcade edition dlc ($15) = full game - costumes. i did not know $35 is a shitton for a great fighting game.

#48 thorbahn3

thorbahn3

Everyone talks too much!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Thanks for the mention. You can see the game here and perhaps buy it: http://www.gamersgat...CLASTLE/clastle

BTW, there is a time trial mode, but time has nothing to do with the actual game.

My Indie Game:
Spoiler

#49 LiK

LiK

Internet Superstar

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 11:58 AM

HAHA, this is one my favorite CAGcast intros.
63362.png
Blog | Twitter
"You lazy f*ck!" - Artie Lange to CheapyD on 8/31/09

#50 shipwreck

shipwreck

CAG Reviews Editor

• Super Moderators

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

Thanks for the mention. You can see the game here and perhaps buy it: http://www.gamersgat...CLASTLE/clastle

BTW, there is a time trial mode, but time has nothing to do with the actual game.

Definitely looks like something I would dig if I had something to play it on.
"Red-Headed Pain In The Ass" - Wombat
Posted Image

#51 Thomas96

Thomas96

I am Thomaticus!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

This show is going to get me killed... I'm in a office full of women with "Bitches aint shit but hoes and trickkkkkks" playing in the background. I got to remember to listen to the show in the car, rather than the office. Great show!

Edited by Thomas96, 02 July 2011 - 01:14 AM.

Posted Image

#52 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

Great show guys! I even laughed when Wombat had to justify why he had to walk away from his mic . . "I have children!!!".

Anyway, I'd like to see more "top analyst" predictions (i.e. What do you think the metacritic score will be for both SKYRIM and MW3? NPD sales figures. Over/Under for units sold on various games, etc.).

Here are some other recommendations and/or requests:

Cheapy - Need more Tai soundbites and/or updates (i.e. Rodney Dangerfield impersonations, poop smearing stories, etc.)

Wombat - Need more random impersonations of Bill Cosby

Shipwreck - (VERY IMPORTANT) From this day forward, your videogame review section shall be titled "The Vagina Monoblog!" in honor of the new Vagina scar on your face.

. . . Again, Great Show fellas!!!

#53 Treythalomew

Treythalomew

Add me on PSN!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Everything about PS3 updates and downloads sucks. I laughed when CheapyD was talking about how playing PS3 means watching downloads and updates. I had the same experience twice last week. I love how I can just throw an old 360 game in my box, get the latest update in about 5 seconds and be playing.
Posted Image

#54 Sistros

Sistros

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2011 - 02:44 AM

Damn, I want the song at the end of the show played at my funeral.

Great show as always.
Posted Image

#55 Blackout

Blackout

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Good show guys. The intro was hilarious. Glad to hear Shipwreck is on the road to recovery and kicked cancer's ass.

I seriously can't imagine listening to the Joystiq podcast, whether they're being serious or funny. Joystiq has the absolute WORST attempts at humor in their blog posts. Who is laughing at these jokes? People talk about the offensive humor in Duke Nukem Forever, but I think those terrible Joystiq jokes are more offensive. I guess it's to cover up their crappy reporting. If I had to listen to an hour of those guys desperately trying to be funny I'd probably kill myself. No thanks. I'll stick to the CAGcast.

The thing with Children of Eden is that for game reviewers, it's another SEE GAMES ARE ART YOU BETTER RESPECT THEM RIGHT NOW title. I didn't even bother reading a lot of the reviews because I already knew it was going to get perfect scores and glowing praise regardless of any of its failings. It's another game like Limbo where the "games are art" dorks can furiously masturbate to as they write up their reviews. The fact that you have to replay the same level to get to the next one is incredibly lame. How about adding real levels to a game you're charging full price for?

I always laugh when I hear Microsoft continuously push how YOU ARE NOW THE CONTROLLER WITH KINECT when it plainly sucks and isn't as effective as pressing a button on my controller. I still say Cheapy sold out by buying a Kinect though. :D

The PS3 download times are just a killer. I'm sick and tired of them. By the time the patch is done downloading, you don't even feel like playing anymore. I agree with Cheapy. When I got the free PS Plus trial, I thought it downloaded all the patches for new games you downloaded. After it took me hours and hours to download Dead Nation, I had to download a freakin' patch on top of it. PS Plus only seems to download patches for recent games you played. I was under the impression it downloaded any updates for games installed to your HD in the Game Data Utility folder.

With developers being lazy and not finishing their games before shipping them, gamers are stuck downloading patches the day they buy the game and the following weeks after release. I don't think it's someting that could be changed, regardless if the PS3 came out a year after the 360. It was just a dumb decision on Sony's part.

It really doesn't matter if some guy dresses up like Mario at E3 because he fits right in with the unprofessionalism with the rest of game "journalists." They're always cheering at every announcement, especially the Nintendo stuff and games like Ico/Shadow of Colossus HD. Last year they even accepted free Xbox 360s from Microsoft without question. It's really embarrassing.

#56 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

You can say whatever you want about the PS3 download/install/update situation, but the fact is, it's seriously inferior to their competitor which released their system a year earlier. I still don't understand how this happened.

MS knows software. Sony doesn't.

Although they flip spots for hardware. Sony is much better at hardware than MS.

Japanese companies aren't strong in software in general. Just look at any Japanese electronic product.

Edited by trip1eX, 02 July 2011 - 10:58 PM.

#57 VladZhao

VladZhao

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:08 PM

Long time CAGcast listener, new to CAG. Wombat's been doing a great job (with the exception of his absence in the middle of the show) on the podcast despite having the new kid, kudos. Nice job on kicking cancers ass Ship, always bet on double Pacman. As for a question, any possibility of having all the wives on for CAGcast #250?

#58 trip1eX

trip1eX

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:10 PM

btw, isn't the problem with Capcom more of a cultural divide than incompetency? Shit we think is stupid makes perfect sense to them? Seems like that's at least part of it or no?

#59 thwak

thwak

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

btw, isn't the problem with Capcom more of a cultural divide than incompetency? Shit we think is stupid makes perfect sense to them? Seems like that's at least part of it or no?

No.

Hell MvC3 doesn't even have all the features that street fighter 4 has. Look I love capcom, but this is getting ridiculous.

#60 BrandonMills

BrandonMills

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 03 July 2011 - 02:22 AM

I'm in the middle of listening to the latest CagCast, but after one comment about Apple and Samsung, I had to post.

Take a moment and Google Apple and Samsung. They aren't exactly getting along very well currently. In fact, Samsung makes one of the premiere Android phone sets and Android tablets. Do you really think Samsung is going to work with Apple to ensure it's own demise?

http://news.google.c...q=apple samsung