Xenoblade and The Last Story in the US?

• Please log in to reply
694 replies to this topic

#211 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Just finished TLS. Still think it's too easy. Doubt I'll play New Game+, but I haven't ruled it out. Credits rolled at about 25 hours, and I did a lot of side quests.
Spoiler

The story is meh. A lot of it reminds me of FF7/8, including a lot of specific scenes. Not saying the stories are the same, but there are tons of parts where I was like, "Didn't I see this before?"

The gameplay isn't bad, but the controls and AI are sometimes infuriating. You tell a member to retreat, because either you want them out of the water, or not cast magic, then they'll do it anyways. Sometimes you suddenly run up the wall, slash instead of switch, hide instead of roll, etc. all because they're all the same button. The crappy part about the Wii. Left thumb stick also sucks, especially when you have to jiggle the stick.

Even installed on a flash drive, it lags. It was so much worse when I was running it from a disk. There's slowdowns in fights, and just traveling. It's pretty ridiculous. It's going to cause it to be hit hard on the ratings department here, I'm anticipating.

It has some nice CGs occasionally, but most of it still look like a last gen game.

tl;dr: 7.5/10 installed, probably <5/10 off disk.

#212 Cap'n_RDM

Cap'n_RDM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I'm losing track in this thread...are most of the complaints regarding The Last Story?

Yes. Xenoblade Chronicles is the better game easily. (I just prefer the battle system in The Last Story)

But, speaking as someone who suffered through Skyrim on PS3, when people like Dead of Knight are experiencing awful framerate issues it sucks big-time. (Skyrim pissed me off so much that I'm done with Bethesda as a company but that was zero frames per second so...;))

I don't think anyone complained about Xenoblade in this thread.

Thanks for the replies...that is what I thought but read a couple posts that were a little vague, so thought I'd ask...

Pre-ordered Xenoblade yesterday...
Now Playing:
:ps3: Mortal Kombat
:wii: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
:psp: The 3rd Birthday
:ds: Pokemon Black

#213 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:16 PM

Xenoblade is just plain fantastic... gotta be one of my favorite games of all time. As Vinny alluded to, I had over 160 hours on the clock and didn't even 100% the game. :lol: Probably at least 20 hours of that was idling, but still... and Vinny I believe finished it in 55 even without doing much quests.

I still don't know about Pandora's Tower. It's not even an RPG, it's an action game. I honestly don't know if I'd even like it. I do like the story/premise, but I dunno. I haven't heard much in the way of impressions about it.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

This is the greatest thing ever. Certainly in the OTT at least.

#214 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Xenoblade is just plain fantastic... gotta be one of my favorite games of all time. As Vinny alluded to, I had over 160 hours on the clock and didn't even 100% the game. :lol: Probably at least 20 hours of that was idling, but still...

I guess you never noticed hitting the Home button stops the clock?

#215 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

Xenoblade is just plain fantastic... gotta be one of my favorite games of all time. As Vinny alluded to, I had over 160 hours on the clock and didn't even 100% the game. :lol: Probably at least 20 hours of that was idling, but still... and Vinny I believe finished it in 55 even without doing much quests.

I still don't know about Pandora's Tower. It's not even an RPG, it's an action game. I honestly don't know if I'd even like it. I do like the story/premise, but I dunno. I haven't heard much in the way of impressions about it.

Took me 63 hours, doing probably 10-15% of the sidequests. I didn't know PT wasn't an RPG, just figured it was since the other two games in Rainfall were. I guess I better read up on it on some/watch videos.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D 

:vita: Uncharted: Golden Abyss - :) 

:ps3: Zone of the Enders HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#216 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 06:29 PM

Took me 63 hours, doing probably 10-15% of the sidequests. I didn't know PT wasn't an RPG, just figured it was since the other two games in Rainfall were. I guess I better read up on it on some/watch videos.

Funny how no one knows about Pandora's Tower. I know nothing about it either.

I wanted TLS more than Xenoblades because I've actually never liked any of the Xeno games. I'll give Xenoblades a try, of course. Already have it on preorder.

Pandora's Tower is action role-playing, apparently. It's not necessarily a bad thing, since one of my favorite RPGs is still Secret of Mana. But I don't like most ARPGs.... So I haven't jumped on ordering PT yet, and I'm not sure I will.

#217 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I guess you never noticed hitting the Home button stops the clock?

Yeah it does, but sometimes I was too lazy to even do that. :lol:

One of the more bullshit things in TLS is that the Home button is disabled during cutscenes, and there is no other way to pause the game. If you need to get up and do something during a cutscene, you're shit outta luck. Fuck you Sakaguchi, what was the point of that?
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#218 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

I wanted TLS more than Xenoblades because I've actually never liked any of the Xeno games. I'll give Xenoblades a try, of course. Already have it on preorder.

Wait... you didn't like Xenogears? That game's a fucking masterpiece even after Square forced them botch up the second half. Oh, how I would love for the other arcs of that series get finish.

Xenosaga 3 was also a fantastic game if you can force yourself to go through the first two games, which are unreasonably archaic and clusterfucked.

Yeah it does, but sometimes I was too lazy to even do that. :lol:

One of the more bullshit things in TLS is that the Home button is disabled during cutscenes, and there is no other way to pause the game. If you need to get up and do something during a cutscene, you're shit outta luck. Fuck you Sakaguchi, what was the point of that?

Actually... there is a way. If you unplug the Nunchuck or Classic Controller from the Remote, it'll stop everything and show you an error message (even during cut-scenes/FMVs). To un-pause, you have to plug the Nunchuck/CC back in.:-P

Anyway, I just beat the game. I really did think the final quarter of the game rinsed itself of the cookie-cutter RPG aspects and told a pretty compelling finale. One thing I will say is that I love the characters, especially all the interactions during the battles/dungeons.

Is there anything to do worthwhile in the Epilogue?

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#219 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Wait... you didn't like Xenogears? That game's a fucking masterpiece even after Square forced them botch up the second half. Oh, how I would love for the other arcs of that series get finish.

Xenosaga 3 was also a fantastic game if you can force yourself to go through the first two games, which are unreasonably archaic and clusterfucked.

Actually... there is a way. If you unplug the Nunchuck or Classic Controller from the Remote, it'll stop everything and show you an error message (even during cut-scenes/FMVs). To un-pause, you have to plug the Nunchuck/CC back in.:-P

Anyway, I just beat the game. I really did think the final quarter of the game rinsed itself of the cookie-cutter RPG aspects and told a pretty compelling finale. One thing I will say is that I love the characters, especially all the interactions during the battles/dungeons.

Is there anything to do worthwhile in the Epilogue?

Yeah, Xenogears is just a classic. Though, I replayed Xenosaga 3 recently and it turns out that that game is also shit with some redeeming points. God Shion is the worst protagonist ever.

Also, Xenoblade has absolutely nothing to do with Xenogears/saga and it was only renamed that for name recognition.

Vinny, there are a couple of worthwhile things in the epilogue. It ties up some loose ends. The epilogue is seriously only a couple hours long and it's not hard, so you have nothing to lose.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#220 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

Alright, I'll check it out the Epilogue then.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#221 elessar123

elessar123

96.5% more WUB WUB

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:33 PM

One thing I will say is that I love the characters, especially all the interactions during the battles/dungeons.

Spoiler

#222 creid

creid

Dead For The Summer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

Thanks, I will definitely end up needing to do this.

#223 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

I did all the Epilogue stuff... some interesting things in there and definitely worth doing.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#224 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

My copy of TLS finally sold on Amazon.... yay.

I think I might actually get Pandora's Tower, just because there really is nothing coming out at all for the next few months. May as well give it a shot.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#225 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

Got my copy of Xenoblade today, and played it for roughly 90 minutes.

+/- The game is very involved. Characters to talk to give you Affinity/Quests/XP up the ying yang. You could really get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content IN THE FIRST TOWN.
+ Pretty Good Voice Acting Thus Far
+/- The game looks very pretty for a 2009 game. Some parts however, do not. It's like...a much less jaggy Final Fantasy XII
+ Really Good Music
+ Day/Night cycle that I can change the time on at any time is good; not to mention that content changes based on the time of day.
+ Combat is similar to FFXII in terms of play style, but has a better interface
+ Tutorials are simple and easy to follow

Pick it up, folks. Pick it up. I mean, I'd say it's put most JRPG's I've played this gen to shame only after 90 minutes. It's even put Skyward Sword to shame in some parts.
Completed Games: 2011 | 2012
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#226 RedvsBlue

RedvsBlue

Rocket Science Level

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:04 AM

I love the British accents on the voice acting. I know they kept the voice acting from the European release to save money but it adds a little bit of uniqueness because we never get foreign accents in games it seems like.

I'm about 45 minutes in and it does feel a bit overwhelming to me as well but its definitely got its hooks to keep me playing.

#227 Cap'n_RDM

Cap'n_RDM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Picked this up today to support it but won't get around to playing it for quite a while.
Now Playing:
:ps3: Mortal Kombat
:wii: New Super Mario Bros. Wii
:psp: The 3rd Birthday
:ds: Pokemon Black

#228 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

I love the British accents on the voice acting. I know they kept the voice acting from the European release to save money but it adds a little bit of uniqueness because we never get foreign accents in games it seems like.

I'm about 45 minutes in and it does feel a bit overwhelming to me as well but its definitely got its hooks to keep me playing.

I'm assuming there's still the Japanese voice option?

Picked mine up, not opening or playing it. Put it in a drawer. I put 160 hours into this game a few months ago, not touching it again for a while. :lol:
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#229 TheLongshot

TheLongshot

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

One thing I had found out is that the new Doctor Who companion, Jenna-Louise Coleman, was in Xenoblade. She played Melia.
Posted Image

#230 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 08:47 PM

+/- The game is very involved. Characters to talk to give you Affinity/Quests/XP up the ying yang. You could really get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of content IN THE FIRST TOWN.

What I did was basically talk to everyone and accept every quest. Many of them you'll complete simply by killing monsters/wandering around in the world.

Building good relations with allies helps during the later parts of the game (during combat). It can be a bit frustrating later in the game though as with newer characters, you'll have less time to developer them (unless you do sidquests).

Also, don't forget to make use of your quick travel (not the shortcut from the quick menu, the real one from the regular menu). You can literally travel from the very last point in the game to the very first... assuming you've discovered the landmarks.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#231 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:45 PM

I forgot to mention that you can only get certain quests are certain times of the day. So you literally have to cover the town three times over to get all of the Quests/Affinities, minimum.

I'm 5.5 hours in now, by the way, and it's getting better. I still haven't fully uncovered the first area of the map.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#232 FaintDeftone

FaintDeftone

Zelda Fanatic

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

I preordered it at GS and picked it up Friday afternoon. Very impressed with it so far. It feels like an old school JRPG with some Western and MMO mechanics thrown into the mix. I love the music so far too. This is probably the best JRPG I've played since FFX.

#233 setai

setai

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

Really impressed with the game so far. I keep thinking back to last year when Nintendo said they had no plans to publish it, and now I can't believe I'm playing it!

#234 KingBroly

KingBroly

CAG Club Nintendo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

I wonder how long it takes to get from one end of
Spoiler
to the other. It must take 15 minutes. I've gone over this area for like an hour and I'm still not halfway done filling in the map :S

Oh, and the game decided to throw in weather effects as well.
CAG Club Nintendo Thread
Posted Image

#235 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

I wonder how long it takes to get from one end of

Spoiler
to the other. It must take 15 minutes. I've gone over this area for like an hour and I'm still not halfway done filling in the map :S

Oh, and the game decided to throw in weather effects as well.

You can't really determine the actual scale of each part. Some areas are significantly larger but easy to navigate while others are smaller (though differences are marginal) but more complex, with lots of routes/hidden paths.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#236 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

I'm about 20 hours in now, and I'm really liking the game, but I have a few questions.

The items you get from the little orbs, are they used for anything other than side quests? I've been keeping 5 of each in inventory and selling anything beyond that. Seems to be pretty effective so far with completing a lot of side quests instantly, but I don't know if I should hold on to more for anything later in the game.

Is there any reason to keep gems that I craft and don't really use? I sold a TON of the level I gems that I made to help buy all the books for opening up the skill trees and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Should I keep them from now on? Do you get any skills later in the game that let you use them like, combining 5 level I to make them into a level II gem or something?

Are side quests the only way to raise affinity with party members? I've done a bunch of side quests, but I've only been able to see one of those hand hold markers other than the tutorial one. Also does affinity affect the gem crafting, because I noticed when Reyn's went up, at the same time I now get more crafting turns with him and Shulk as partners.

Lastly, does the gear selection ever really open up? I'm at Bionis'
Spoiler
right now, and I've looked at every merchant along the way and I've had gear on some of my party members that has been better than anything available to buy for like 10+ hours. Even though I saved up and bought the best stuff in the earlier towns, I expected it to be outclassed by something by now.
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.

#237 madcyantist

madcyantist

Impulsive Buyer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:52 PM

Where did most of you purchase the game from? Nintendo?

#238 Dead of Knight

Dead of Knight

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm about 20 hours in now, and I'm really liking the game, but I have a few questions.

The items you get from the little orbs, are they used for anything other than side quests? I've been keeping 5 of each in inventory and selling anything beyond that. Seems to be pretty effective so far with completing a lot of side quests instantly, but I don't know if I should hold on to more for anything later in the game.

Is there any reason to keep gems that I craft and don't really use? I sold a TON of the level I gems that I made to help buy all the books for opening up the skill trees and now I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Should I keep them from now on? Do you get any skills later in the game that let you use them like, combining 5 level I to make them into a level II gem or something?

Are side quests the only way to raise affinity with party members? I've done a bunch of side quests, but I've only been able to see one of those hand hold markers other than the tutorial one. Also does affinity affect the gem crafting, because I noticed when Reyn's went up, at the same time I now get more crafting turns with him and Shulk as partners.

Lastly, does the gear selection ever really open up? I'm at Bionis'

Spoiler
right now, and I've looked at every merchant along the way and I've had gear on some of my party members that has been better than anything available to buy for like 10+ hours. Even though I saved up and bought the best stuff in the earlier towns, I expected it to be outclassed by something by now.

1. Don't sell them. You can use them to raise affinity by gifting them. Certain people like certain things.

2. Just sell em.

3. No. Like I said, gifting the collectibles is one way to do it. Also fighting with them in battle is another way to do it. Switch your party up frequently to get affinity spread between party members. Yes affinity does affect gem crafting.

4. Generally the best shit is going to be found.
RIP Hiroshi Yamauchi

#239 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:28 AM

3. No. Like I said, gifting the collectibles is one way to do it. Also fighting with them in battle is another way to do it. Switch your party up frequently to get affinity spread between party members. Yes affinity does affect gem crafting.

4. Generally the best shit is going to be found.

You can... gift items to members? Seriously...? I must have missed that completely when I played.:-k

Also for suggestion 4, it's worth noting that gem forging (or whatever it was called) is also a very key part of the equipment. If you have strong affinity between two characters, you can forge some good gems.

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#240 blindinglights

blindinglights

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the tips DoK. I stopped selling the collectibles and used a guide to gift them and raised the affinity a good bit between party members. Now I've been able to easily craft III's from the II level stuff I have. Does affinity have any other importance besides the heart to hearts and gem crafting?
2011 Completed Games
2012 Completed Games

Use Swag Bucks as your search engine, earn $10 to $15 in free Amazon credit per month. Find out how.