Photo
- - - - -

[DEAD]Amazon's Biggest Anime Sale of the Year-Tons of Anime Blu-rays and DVDs on Sale

• Please log in to reply
290 replies to this topic

#91 GuardianE

GuardianE

Posted 13 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Picked up GitS:SAC 1 & 2, along with Solid State Society. I went through the sale listings, and they weren't listed, but their product page says they're part of the sale. And they're cheaper than I've seen them in a long while (been hovering ~$45 or so, now ~$23.)

Fantastic show, if you've never seen it.

Are they ever going to put GiTS:SAC on bluray? I keep holding out on picking it up because of that.
My name is in your Resident Evil 5 manual. ;)

#92 Slappybob

Slappybob

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:30 PM

I have been wanting to try Slayers seasons 4 and 5. I loved Seasons 1 and 2 but 3 was disappointing.
I was going to netflix them but they only had instant version dub only.
The Douchebag Porpoise does not save drowning sailors, it just mocks them as they struggle. What a jerk!

Posted Image
Currently playing:
:360: Fallout: New Vegas, Borderlands
:xbox: Mechwarrior
:ps2: Final Fantasy X
:psp: Legend of Heroes
:pc: Portal

#93 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for pointing these out. Loved watching them when they were on adult swim back in 2004. I'm so spoiled by blu-ray these days but with no release in sight I might go for these DVD versions anyhow. At 26 episodes per volume it seems like a great buy.

The Case Closed TV series will never be released on Blu-ray here. Ever.

Right there with you earvcunanan, Hands down my favorite anime and the price was right to warrant the blu ray upgrade!!

There's really no reason to upgrade if you own the DVDs already. It's just an upscale.

#94 HYDFDEMON

HYDFDEMON

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

I'm waiting to see if Cowboy Bebop ever gets released on to blu-ray. Picked up Samurai Champloo and Samurai 7 with the Amazon credit I get from my Amazon credit card. Great prices, thanks OP!

#95 Chief Keef

Chief Keef

GBE 3hunna

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

you guys think Dragon Ball will get a dragon box or complete series or should i buy the 5 seasons?

what about gt

all I care about is money, all I care about is hundreds, all I care about is fiftys, all I care about is twentys

all I care about my whereabouts, r.i.p. my niggas they in heaven now

that's all I care about now I keep them weapons round, he say he pullin up we gon wet him down

300*

#96 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 06:21 PM

you guys think Dragon Ball will get a dragon box or complete series or should i buy the 5 seasons?

what about gt

I don't think they'll be a complete set but who knows with Funi. I would suggest you getting the series at Walmart as it's cheaper there,

Season 1 and 2 - $27.96
Season 3 and 4 - $29.96
Season 5 - $15.96

Walmart total: $73.88 (plus tax/shipping or free in-store pickup)
Amazon total for all 5: $94.95

#97 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

You can watch the entire series on Youtube through Funimations channel . They have both english and Japanese versions:

http://www.youtube.c...enoftheeast?s=1

Oh wow, after looking into some of the seedier places it was right there on youtube. Ended up ordering it anyways, since I was able to get it in my quick picks on Amazon. And I'm not sure if Youtube is having a bad day or what, because that stream was constantly locking up and taking forever to load on the lowest resolution.

#98 R3DH3R0

R3DH3R0

10 Years and Counting

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

I don't think they'll be a complete set but who knows with Funi. I would suggest you getting the series at Walmart as it's cheaper there,

Season 1 and 2 - $27.96
Season 3 and 4 - $29.96
Season 5 - $15.96

Walmart total: $73.88 (plus tax/shipping or free in-store pickup)
Amazon total for all 5: $94.95

Be careful buying all 5 DB sets at Walmart.com.... They sent mine in a huge bubble bag.... everything got destroyed during shipping.... They even sent me a replacement, I thought they would fix it and send it in a box. Nope, another bubble bag... Ruined them and I returned them.

#99 Rave Child

Rave Child

Castanets!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

what about gt

There already is a complete series for GT. It's on sale for $29.99: http://www.amazon.co...10588933&sr=1-1

I haven't seen more than two episodes of it it myself, but I've heard nothing but bad things. Maybe it's cool if you LOVE the Dragon Ball universe, which I sort of do. I'm skipping it for now, though, because I really don't need it atm.
My Guide Trade List

Follow me on Twitter!

I am looking for the following items and will pay good money for them:
Suikoden II jewel case and manual:hot::hot::hot::hot:

Posted Image

#100 UNDERSTAR

UNDERSTAR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Is it worth buying the re-release of Samurai Champloo since I own the first release? I see this is the cheapest price for it ever since it came out.

#101 Mana Knight

Mana Knight

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

I already purchased D Grayman and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu boxsets on blu. Tempted to get Samurai Champloo too.
Posted Image

#102 INCyr

INCyr

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:30 PM

Are they ever going to put GiTS:SAC on bluray? I keep holding out on picking it up because of that.

This is the only information I can find on it:

http://www.cinemable...-Ray-19395.html

They did a BR release in Japan, retailed for INSANE amounts, and apparently there's no news of whether it's coming to the US. Personally, I don't know that there's enough of a benefit to waiting - I've always thought most Anime series looked just fined upconverted. But to each their own...

#103 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

Ga Rei Zero drops like right after I buy it. The pain.

Also, not buying Baccano should be a crime.

#104 sigmano9

sigmano9

....いい意味で

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:37 PM

gotta mention hetalia axis powers (s1 & s2) is back to $15.99.

man, hetalia, dbz kai (blu), and ga rei zero are looking really sexy to me at their price right now....
....いい意味で

#105 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:51 PM

For financial reasons, I can only afford one purchase from this sale right now; it's possible that I'll be able to afford something else later in the month before the sale ends, but I've got a decision to make with which I'd appreciate any help.

Which should I choose from the following series?

Baccano!
Darker Than BLACK
Eden of the East
Samurai Champloo

It's hard to describe the kind of anime I prefer, but I consider myself discerning. I appreciate thoughtful and well-crafted works ranging from all sorts of genres, including (but not limited to) sci-fi, action, drama, comedy, and adventure. I can't really name a single favorite series, but among my favorites are Cowboy Bebop, Dai-Guard, Gankutsuou, Moribito, and Mushishi.

I've heard great things about the above series, and I've seen some of the latter two (EotE I watched in its entirety subbed when it was airing, and SC I caught a few times on Adult Swim--I liked what I saw). I've also heard that Baccano! is particularly gory, which is one reason I've refrained from investing in it up to now, but if its story and characters are especially refined, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm also intrigued by Darker Than BLACK's synopsis.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but like I said, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :ps4: Putty Squad :ps3: BioShock [Survivor, No Vita-Chambers] :vita: Guacamelee!; Rayman Legends [Daily Challenges]; Velocity Ultra
Last Beaten Game [4/18]:  :vita: Flying Hamster HD ( :))

Last Watched Film: The Passion of the Christ ( :applause: :applause: :applause:)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#106 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

picking up Dragon Ball Z Kai: Part 1,2,5 got 3,4

i wish they had full metal part 1-6 and YU YU part 1-3 in that sale :-(

#107 starmask2k3

starmask2k3

CAG MASTER'S

• Trading Ban

Posted 13 July 2011 - 11:58 PM

I already purchased D Grayman and Full Metal Panic Fumoffu boxsets on blu. Tempted to get Samurai Champloo too.

i was thinking the same on SC too but 23 is killing the cheap ass in me

#108 Squarehard

Squarehard

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:17 AM

For financial reasons, I can only afford one purchase from this sale right now; it's possible that I'll be able to afford something else later in the month before the sale ends, but I've got a decision to make with which I'd appreciate any help.

Which should I choose from the following series?

Baccano!
Darker Than BLACK
Eden of the East
Samurai Champloo

It's hard to describe the kind of anime I prefer, but I consider myself discerning. I appreciate thoughtful and well-crafted works ranging from all sorts of genres, including (but not limited to) sci-fi, action, drama, comedy, and adventure. I can't really name a single favorite series, but among my favorites are Cowboy Bebop, Dai-Guard, Gankutsuou, Moribito, and Mushishi.

I've heard great things about the above series, and I've seen some of the latter two (EotE I watched in its entirety subbed when it was airing, and SC I caught a few times on Adult Swim--I liked what I saw). I've also heard that Baccano! is particularly gory, which is one reason I've refrained from investing in it up to now, but if its story and characters are especially refined, I'd be willing to give it a shot. I'm also intrigued by Darker Than BLACK's synopsis.

Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but like I said, any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I think your best option out of those listed are probably Samurai Champloo or Baccano.

#109 Masterkyo

Masterkyo

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

Case closed Season 2/3/4/5 is tempting. This sale & Criterion sales my wallet damage so badly :(
"Evil is Funs"

#110 Jcaugustine

Jcaugustine

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

I'm debating if the Dragon Ball Z Kai Blu-rays are worth it at $15.49 a piece... it looks "cleaner", but some of the episode have obvious transitions that just look weird.

The episode where Trunks kicks Freiza's but was 2 episodes, but made into 1 and you could tell the animation quality just took a step back in the last half of the episode.

Good thing I have another 2 weeks to think about it.
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#111 Vigilante

Vigilante

Always Watching

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 01:17 AM

I think your best option out of those listed are probably Samurai Champloo or Baccano.

Thanks for your input. After doing some more thinking and looking at reviews/thoughts on Baccano!, I bit on it. I'm hoping I'll love it as much as many, many people apparently do.

I would still appreciate input on the other three series I mentioned (Darker Than BLACK, Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo), as I should hopefully be able to get one more item from this sale before it's over.

Cloud_Squall78.png
Currently Playing: :ps4: Putty Squad :ps3: BioShock [Survivor, No Vita-Chambers] :vita: Guacamelee!; Rayman Legends [Daily Challenges]; Velocity Ultra
Last Beaten Game [4/18]:  :vita: Flying Hamster HD ( :))

Last Watched Film: The Passion of the Christ ( :applause: :applause: :applause:)

"Moreso than the good, it is the evil who must be rescued." -Shigesato Itoi

#112 Rogueleader17

Rogueleader17

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:30 AM

Yay chobits! now to wait for deathnote

tachikoma_02.gif"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes."

#113 HYDFDEMON

HYDFDEMON

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:49 AM

Thanks for your input. After doing some more thinking and looking at reviews/thoughts on Baccano!, I bit on it. I'm hoping I'll love it as much as many, many people apparently do.

I would still appreciate input on the other three series I mentioned (Darker Than BLACK, Eden of the East, Samurai Champloo), as I should hopefully be able to get one more item from this sale before it's over.

I've seen all those anime titles. I loved the flavor of Samurai Champloo and is probably the best of the three mentioned. Darker than BLACK is pretty solid as well, though I don't know if I'd buy the series unless it was < $20. Eden of the East was okay, there are a lot of plot holes and it feels like an unfinished attempt at a possibly very good story, but it feels like they rushed through it.

So I would put them in this order:

1. Samurai Champloo
2. Darker than BLACK
3. Eden of the East

Hope this helps!

#114 ssjmichael

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:30 AM

So is Case Closed really good? Worth getting?

#115 aerozero

aerozero

The man from nowhere

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:41 AM

I bought Darker than BLACK and the Ga-Rei Zero Blu Ray/DVD combo, thanks for the heads up OP!
Posted Image

#116 basis

basis

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

Darn, just checked my Quick Picks and found FLFC in it... tempting... hmm... should I?

#117 fwbweux

fwbweux

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:02 AM

I have a lot of what I want from this sale, but the Soul Eater Meister Collection is $30 and I might bite on that. Also eying Slayers Revolution, the One Piece movie, and maybe Witchblade for lulz.

Darker Than Black's quality is pretty uneven, with it definitely having better or worse episodes. It's fairly episodic while also having an overarching plot, so while the core premise is always intriguing the individual episodes don't always work wonders with that premise.

Eden of the East is a good conspiracy thriller, and while it has some commentary on Japanese culture that's not exactly relevant or discernible to overseas viewers, it's mostly an intelligent action series with good animation and an engrossing plot.

Samurai Champloo is one of the all-time greats and is in a lot of ways a sister show to Cowboy Bebop set in 18th century Japan. It has an anachronistic hip-hop-fused visual style that works amazingly, really great animation, consistently-good plot, off-beat characters with great chemistry, and one of the best English dubs of any anime. It's probably the best buy for the money of any blu in the sale, especially if you've never seen it before.

---

#118 Kirin Lemon

Kirin Lemon

世界を革命する者

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

I really love both Samurai Champloo and Eden of the East, but I'd have to give the edge to Champloo. Darker than Black isn't worth your money, however.
Posted Image

#119 shrike4242

shrike4242

Not My Job Anymore, Go Bother Someone Else.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:29 AM

I really love both Samurai Champloo and Eden of the East, but I'd have to give the edge to Champloo. Darker than Black isn't worth your money, however.

What's your thought on Guyver?

#120 Zaku77

Zaku77

Posted 14 July 2011 - 05:32 AM

I got both seasons of GitS! Thanks to whoever pointed that out!

Check out my youtube channel! I do video game collection updates, unboxings, final impressions, and intelligent game industry commentary.  Expect lots of collector's editions, as well as steelbooks from all over the world! :D

http://www.youtube.c...77?feature=mhee Twitter: https://twitter.com/Helldestroyer77

My Collection: https://docs.google....hvRG9LMlE#gid=0