Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Green Man Gaming (Steam) Deals: 20% off select games: South Park, Thief, Titanfall and more

green man gaming gmg pc downloads pc greenmangaming

• Please log in to reply
10730 replies to this topic

#4201 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:47 PM

I'm here to complain about the 35% off code too, because at least here I know a lot of people will read it. I made what I thought to be a very compelling argument in their forums for how GMG handled the 35% off debacle, hoping that they would at least acknowledge their bad behavior. I even said something on their Facebook post about it, but they have not responded with one word addressing it. That means they don't care about their reputation or their customers. Honestly, it's now just about the principle of the thing, not just revoking a promised 35% discount. When a company like Steam screws up, at least they stick to their end of the bargain.

I took the survey when I got the email. At the end of the survey you got your code and it stated Jan 1, 2013 as the expiration. The email they sent later was titled "Thanks for the feedback, here's 35% off!" Now, if you already know it's going to be valid until 1/1/13 and you get a confirmation email titled like that, who is going to read through the email and just notice that the date was changed? It's purposeful misdirection and they need to fess up to it and reissue a new 35% off code to the people who did the survey but didn't get to use the code as promised. How about an email to all of the survey takers titled, "Xmas Survey change of expiration!". That gets my attention!

Here's the simple break down.
1) Offer survey via email with a reward for spending the time to do it.
2) Offer the code to everyone else on the planet at the same time for no work.
3) Get massive attention from the deal as expected.
4) Change the terms of the deal with little warning to make sure people wouldn't cash in their 35% code.
5) Ignore all negative response until the smoke clears.

Funny thing is they put up a new 25% off voucher today, but the game I want is no longer on sale. Surprise surprise.

They definitely are trying to screw you over specifically. I would recommend pursuing legal action against them for these dishonorable acts.

So I get why people are upset about the voucher date changing, it sucks, they didn't make it clear, etc. I was waiting to use it, I didn't find anything to use it on prior to it expiring.

I also know that just like today's 25% code, GMG is going to have another code up and another and there will be another game they will have the best price on and I will use them again. No need to beat this thing into the ground. If this is such a huge deal that you won't use them again then don't. Send them a snarky email and be on your way with it.

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#4202 walkonshadows

walkonshadows

Terminal CAGtosis

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

They definitely are trying to screw you over specifically. I would recommend pursuing legal action against them for these dishonorable acts.

So I get why people are upset about the voucher date changing, it sucks, they didn't make it clear, etc. I was waiting to use it, I didn't find anything to use it on prior to it expiring.

I also know that just like today's 25% code, GMG is going to have another code up and another and there will be another game they will have the best price on and I will use them again. No need to beat this thing into the ground. If this is such a huge deal that you won't use them again then don't. Send them a snarky email and be on your way with it.

:giggle:

Anyone who wants a 72-Hour guest pass to The Secret World, just PM me your email.

LeCuPXZ.jpgUUVGik1.jpgDEjnR1E.jpg

CEh38V2.jpgKxJkMdH.jpgJtnnbZt.jpg

#4203 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:08 PM

Wow, never seen this thread until now, and the drama is positively overflowing.

I love it!

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#4204 RuzzT

RuzzT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:14 PM

I've never met you or interacted with you before today. Thanks for being denigrating, it's so cool you know.

#4205 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I'm here to complain about the 35% off code too, because at least here I know a lot of people will read it. I made what I thought to be a very compelling argument in their forums for how GMG handled the 35% off debacle, hoping that they would at least acknowledge their bad behavior. I even said something on their Facebook post about it, but they have not responded with one word addressing it. That means they don't care about their reputation or their customers. Honestly, it's now just about the principle of the thing, not just revoking a promised 35% discount. When a company like Steam screws up, at least they stick to their end of the bargain.

I took the survey when I got the email. At the end of the survey you got your code and it stated Jan 1, 2013 as the expiration. The email they sent later was titled "Thanks for the feedback, here's 35% off!" Now, if you already know it's going to be valid until 1/1/13 and you get a confirmation email titled like that, who is going to read through the email and just notice that the date was changed? It's purposeful misdirection and they need to fess up to it and reissue a new 35% off code to the people who did the survey but didn't get to use the code as promised. How about an email to all of the survey takers titled, "Xmas Survey change of expiration!". That gets my attention!

Here's the simple break down.
1) Offer survey via email with a reward for spending the time to do it.
2) Offer the code to everyone else on the planet at the same time for no work.
3) Get massive attention from the deal as expected.
4) Change the terms of the deal with little warning to make sure people wouldn't cash in their 35% code.
5) Ignore all negative response until the smoke clears.

Funny thing is they put up a new 25% off voucher today, but the game I want is no longer on sale. Surprise surprise.

Wow, you actually used the term Indian Givers, well done. Its really not that big of a deal and if this ruffles your feathers that much you must have a really easy life. If you've ever shopped at GMG you know that they regularly have promotions that offer somewhere around or above 25% off games. I know the 35% off discount is pretty large, and doesnt come around too often, but instead of getting this bent out of shape you should maybe appreciate the fact that they are a retailer you can regularly get steam keys for cheaper than anywhere else, and that these sorts of issues with their promo codes (which they seem to always have running) rarely seem to happen.

Now time for something real to bitch about: Why wont GMG change their name so my bank wont think they are a gambling site wah wah wah

#4206 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

I've never met you or interacted with you before today. Thanks for being denigrating, it's so cool you know.

Well, at least I read it... right?

Can't get enough of the Fox?  Check out my CAG Blog:  http://www.cheapassg...ul-gamers-blog/

Learn how to get Assassin's Creed III, Bioshock Infinite, NBA 2K14 or other games for $1 (Steam):  http://www.cheapassg...r-1/?p=11692782

#4207 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:25 PM

Posted Image

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#4208 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

I'd just like to say for me personally that I consider the actual difference between 25% and 35% to be fairly negligible, especially when you are talking about cheap games already.

I'm not bothered so much that I get 10% off less as just the principle of the matter. As Hal said it's not really great way to run a business.

I don't want to sue them and I will probably buy from them again if they have a deal on something I want. It does make me question them and not really trust them to some respect though. If I see another code with an expiration date can I safely wait until the original time they give knowing I have until then to use it and make my purchase or will they revoke the code again? Who knows.

I just think as a business it's not worth pissing people off and potentially losing trust over a voucher being made available for another couple of weeks when it can only be used once and is only 10% more of a discount than what they are currently offering and only 5% more than what they had been recently offering without restrictions (the 30% voucher they had for a while).

As for the question Mooby asked about if Rybrad was receiving any compensation it's a valid question. A number of the deal threads here to various sites contain specific links that do give incentives for the referral. It's not unheard of. If that isn't the case here then simply say no and that's the end of it.

I don't see the need to go 'I'm so offended by this question that I'm quitting' and in fact I suspect he wanted to be done with it anyway and was looking for an excuse.

Oh well, now we can have another thread where the OP doesn't get updated and it can piss off that angry dude even more.

#4209 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

I must be the only guy on the internet who doesn't care that the 35% off coupon got altered. At this point, except for new releases, I pretty much own everything that isn't likely to show up in a bundle. It would have been a challenge finding something to use it on.

In fact, before I realized that it was the same code for everybody, I was planning to just drop my code for somebody else to use.

#4210 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

I must be the only guy on the internet who doesn't care that the 35% off coupon got altered. At this point, except for new releases, I pretty much own everything that isn't likely to show up in a bundle. It would have been a challenge finding something to use it on.

In fact, before I realized that it was the same code for everybody, I was planning to just drop my code for somebody else to use.

I don't care about the 35%. I care that it's going to make me second guess everything they say now.

#4211 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

Admit it, the 35% off coupon is gonna keep you up at night.

Spoiler

#4212 inm8num2

inm8num2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

I'm having a hard time following this conversation - did the 35% coupon end already, or was the end date changed to something sooner than Jan 1?

#4213 Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Cheaplikeafox 3.0

Insufferable Asshole

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

I'm having a hard time following this conversation - did the 35% coupon end already, or was the end date changed to something sooner than Jan 1?

It was changed to yesterday.

#4214 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Yes and yes.

#4215 inm8num2

inm8num2

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

It was changed to yesterday.

Yes and yes.

Gotcha, that's what it sounded like but I wasn't sure.

I initially thought I should have held onto the code longer, but I'm glad I used it when i did.

Either way GMG will still have some great deals and vouchers on top of those during the next couple of weeks.

#4216 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

Wow, so much drama. It's like even more than if they pulled their "permanent" 15% IGN Prime discount.

I knew about the discount from the first day though the last day. I didn't see anything that was attractive enough on sale with the 35% coupon. It's like Bob Marley's song, "No Discount No Cry".

Well, at least I read it... right?

Really? So that what it's like to have an attention span? I started to read it but then I noticed a spec of glitter across the street...

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#4217 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

A bit off topic but....
When asked about selling Amazon kindle cards I was told "Not yet".

They already have the actual cards with the kindle bundle. Perhaps they will be selling the Kindle cards separately after the holidays? Easy Amazon transfer :)

Migtht want to ease up on the drugs a little. This is the GMG thread.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel

#4218 zenii

zenii

cynical sam

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Don't worry, being a snarky asshole seems to be some kind of prerequisite on this forum. If you can't beat em, join em!

#4219 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

talkinrock's future son in law

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:14 PM

25% off instead of 35% off a $5 game...

First world problems.

Blade Symphony - $5 (Steam), Borderlands 2 - $6 (Steam), Last Knight - $2 (Steam)

uwkiCEr.gif

#4220 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Don't worry, being a snarky asshole seems to be some kind of prerequisite on this forum. If you can't beat em, join em!

No one asked you!

^_~

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#4221 rayshon1

rayshon1

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:16 PM

First world problems.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are insulting each other over like two dollars. That's un-Christmas-like.

#4222 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Wow, so much drama. It's like even more than if they pulled their "permanent" 15% IGN Prime discount.

I'm starting to think that Europe is a Wonderland where Permanent means Temporary and New Year's Day is on December 14th.

Migtht want to ease up on the drugs a little. This is the GMG thread.

Sometimes I sit here and try extra hard to find a way to make sense of things that don't make sense instead of, you know, immediately filing them away in the mental doesn't make sense folder.

First world problems.

But, but with that extra 50 cents I could buy, um....okay I got nothing.

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys are insulting each other over like two dollars. That's un-Christmas-like.

Posted Image

#4223 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$0.50 is enough to cross the River Styx (Στύξ, also meaning "hate" and "detestation").

Two Dollars

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#4224 Larce80

Larce80

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

First world problems.

because all games cost $5
Sign up at Greenmangaming with my link and we'll both get $2 credit when you make a purchase :)

#4225 RuzzT

RuzzT

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:36 PM

Wow, you actually used the term Indian Givers, well done. Its really not that big of a deal and if this ruffles your feathers that much you must have a really easy life. If you've ever shopped at GMG you know that they regularly have promotions that offer somewhere around or above 25% off games. I know the 35% off discount is pretty large, and doesnt come around too often, but instead of getting this bent out of shape you should maybe appreciate the fact that they are a retailer you can regularly get steam keys for cheaper than anywhere else, and that these sorts of issues with their promo codes (which they seem to always have running) rarely seem to happen.

Now time for something real to bitch about: Why wont GMG change their name so my bank wont think they are a gambling site wah wah wah

Actually, you're right. It's not that big a deal. The main reason I wrote such a big bitch about it is because they aren't responding to it at all. That's kinda disrespectful to the people who give you money. So, in my experience if you call someone out enough, they might notice, and may actually get the point. If you say nothing, then bad behavior will continue and the next time it happens you will see more pages of bitching instead of talking about great deals on games.

I take great pride in being a massive cheap ass when it comes to games. So yeah, I figure where better a place to vent and maybe actually get some positive feedback or at least an agreement.

#4226 asheskitty

asheskitty

Coconut Kitty

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

People tend to take to facebook and twitter when they want results. And to my ignore list when then don't.

Amazon $5 off w/EC List

#4227 MrshllJcb

MrshllJcb

Drinkin High Life

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:43 PM

Actually, you're right. It's not that big a deal. The main reason I wrote such a big bitch about it is because they aren't responding to it at all. That's kinda disrespectful to the people who give you money. So, in my experience if you call someone out enough, they might notice, and may actually get the point. If you say nothing, then bad behavior will continue and the next time it happens you will see more pages of bitching instead of talking about great deals on games.

I take great pride in being a massive cheap ass when it comes to games. So yeah, I figure where better a place to vent and maybe actually get some positive feedback or at least an agreement.

Yeah, I do understand where you are coming from, cause as a consumer if you are told something you expect it, but I figure theres just better things to get upset about, when at most it'll probably be a $3-5 difference from 25% to 35% off. Wasnt trying to come across disrespectful or anything, Ive just enjoyed GMG's deals so far

#4228 Motoki

Motoki

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:44 PM

Okay I have to kind of agree that there should have at least been a short blurb to the effect of 'Unfortunately, we were unable to extend the 35% off voucher to January 1, 2013 as originally planned and it will now be expiring December 14th'

Changing it and hoping no one would notice was tacky.

By the way, that survey is still up and is still giving out the code though they did change the text to say that it expires December 14th.

#4229 The End

The End

It's a Prairie Dog.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:48 PM

You know, I started out not really caring about the coupon because I had no plans to use it. But you & Motoki have changed my mind a bit. At the end of the day, the difference between 35% and 25% isn't all that big, but it certainly does set a bad precedent. As Motoki said, I will probably have this indecent in the back of my mind whenever GMG does any kind of promo in the future.

I can easily see where the date listed at the end of the survey was simply a mistake. And maybe they needed to correct that mistake. But it probably would have been better if they had just announced that the date on the survey was an error. Some people might have been a bit ticked off, but most of us are reasonable people. I'm sure that we can understand that mistakes happen.

It would have been a lot better than pretending that nothing happened.

#4230 BMXJouster

BMXJouster

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

I can easily see where the date listed at the end of the survey was simply a mistake. And maybe they needed to correct that mistake. But it probably would have been better if they had just announced that the date on the survey was an error. Some people might have been a bit ticked off, but most of us are reasonable people. I'm sure that we can understand that mistakes happen.

It would have been a lot better than pretending that nothing happened.

That's the thing, it wasn't an error. It was supposed to expire January 1, 2013. But because of how much it got spread around and used they decided to cancel it weeks earlier. Here's what a staff member actually said on the situation in a topic about the coupon on their site:

"The reason we had to pull the date closer was because it was an associated discount for completing our survey.

We had an absolutely massive response within just a few short days and hit (and surpassed drastically) the quota we needed to hit for the data. The discount code was also being spread at an incredible rate around the web. While we'd naturally expect this to happen anyway, eventually, it was still a bit of a shock to how much of an impact it made.

We could have stopped the voucher code outright, but we felt it would be better to give you guys a solid week's time to make use of it. While we understand that could annoy some folks, especially if you were waiting for payday in December, there was an incredible number of people who were using it already.

I hope this helps.

-James"

So yeah, he said they hit their quota for the amount of data they needed (for the surveys I'm assuming) and decided to cancel the coupon early. So plenty of people did actually fill out the survey (myself included), and once they got what they wanted they canceled the voucher. Sure they gave customers a week before canceling it, but most of us simply got a generic e-mail saying "Thanks for the survey, here's 35% off" days before it ended, instead of something like "Unfortunate news regarding the 35% off survey voucher". I didn't bother reading the e-mail since it sounded like a reminder about it expiring January 1st. If they worded it differently and gave me a heads up I would have read it. I still would have been annoyed, but not as much as I am now with how they handled it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: green man gaming, gmg, pc downloads, pc, greenmangaming