• Please log in to reply
11556 replies to this topic

#5611 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Anytime this comes up two thoughts come to mind:

1. Just because someone likes one client over another doesn't mean they hate it. It's just preference.

2. Just because someone defends Origin over Steam doesn't mean they are trying to get you to stop using Steam, saying you are wrong, or not respecting your opinion/choice.

I think we can all agree, Origin has come a long way, but Steam is Steam, is always going to be Steam, and it is going to take a lot more than a well done clone to ever make people really make a switch to another client I personally don't think it will ever happen.

I'm amongst the non-picky. I have Steam, Desura, Origin, UPlay, Impulse, Gamefly, Raptr, Amazon Game DLer, and probably a lot of other crap installed right now.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5612 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:35 AM

Posted Image

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5613 DonRamon

DonRamon

CAG Veteran

• CAG Veteran

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:37 AM

Posted Image

+1

#5614 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:45 AM

Reality is , certain games will only appear on Origin, so people either live with it, or live without those games. Lot of the older games without Steam integration are effectively drm free ie don't need steam to run. Just an aside, the GOG forums are imho a better community than the steam ones... without all the steamboifanism and lack of maturity levels ;)

Yep, I can live w/ Origin.
It's certainly, in most instances, A LOT better than G4WL.

Though, I can tolerate G4WL for games I want - i.e. Dark Souls!!!

I like both Steam and GOG's forums, yes. :D

EDIT:
Back to Origin - ME3 SP portion and BF3's MP portion are awesome.

EDIT 2:

I'm amongst the non-picky. I have Steam, Desura, Origin, UPlay, Impulse, Gamefly, Raptr, Amazon Game DLer, and probably a lot of other crap installed right now.

Oh, yeah - I have all of those installed, as well.
Oh, and XFire, GMG Capsule & G4WL, too.

#5615 juanjava

juanjava

El ojo en el cielo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:05 AM

I prefer Steam, but no problem using other clients.

I just finished Bulletstorm... through Origin. The only problem was with Cloud saving always telling me my local data was different from the one in the cloud... always selecting to replace the one from the cloud with the local did the trick.

Also playing Dead Space, Amalur and Dragon Age.

The thing miss using origin is autopatching. I don't know if newer games have that functionality.

The worse client is the one from gamestop...

#5616 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:14 AM

@Idiot, Fixed that for you =p

Posted Image

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#5617 Mooby

Mooby

Herp Derp

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

Most origin hate comes from EA hate which in itself is hilarious that people hate on EA for shitty business practices while the same person is holding their iphone, ipad, ipod, ipad, macbook and every other materialistic possession they own that was created by a shady company.

Good thing I don't have any of that unnecessary crap. Origin doesn't bother me, though, for the simple reason that EA hasn't published anything I've been interested in playing for decades.

#5618 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:21 AM

Posted Image

Indeed. I actually love Origin and think it does a great deal of things better than Steam (support, offline mode, etc), but GameStop, Capsule... no thanks.

Terraria - $1 (Steam),  X3: Terran Conflict - $2 (Steam)Fable: The Lost Chapters - $2 (Steam)

bZ2g3eF.png

#5619 motoki

motoki

In Soviet Russia keys activate YOU!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:40 AM

Posted Image

Eh, if it's just to install the gamestop app to get a Steam key it's a stupid nuisance but it's a one time thing so I don't mind that much. I haven't bought any non-Steam stuff from them though so I don't know about how it works with that and if makes you keep the Gamestop app installed and running every time or what.

#5620 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:41 AM

Not this again....

I don't hate Origin. I prefer Steam because I like all my games in one place*, the more games you have the more important that becomes.

*(Literally too, I have a 2TB drive just for Steam.)

The same boat, we're in it! Cept I have my games across 3 SSDs.

#5621 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:47 AM

The same boat, we're in it! Cept I have my games across 3 SSDs.

You either have way too much money or not enough games. ;)

Selling Steam key: Pixeljunk Eden (Cards) $0.74

I'm also taking reservations for my Indie Gala August group buy! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#5622 asheskitty

asheskitty

Friend of NakedBladeEyes

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:57 AM

Eh, if it's just to install the gamestop app to get a Steam key it's a stupid nuisance but it's a one time thing so I don't mind that much. I haven't bought any non-Steam stuff from them though so I don't know about how it works with that and if makes you keep the Gamestop app installed and running every time or what.

To get my steam key, I'll live. But from what I learned about (DRM-FREE elsewhere) games (Baldur's Gate, Planetscape Torment, NeverwinterNights, etc) on GameStop, yuck. I was expecting something like GG or GOG DRM-FREE. Reports were quite different.

I could have just made the pic say, "Requires Capsule to Play" but the poster before me reminded me of gamestop. That said I do have a few capulse games (and I really don't want any more), the only non-free one I have an excuse for is High School Dreams which is good and not carried elsewhere.

From wikipedia:
Originally developed for Eidos Interactive, High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever was dropped by the publisher when they merged with Square Enix and the title was funded by DR Studios themselves until it could be released. Due to this unusual turn of events, many sites such as IGN[1] erroneously list High School Dreams: Best Friends Forever as a cancelled project.

I dream in yellow comic sans.

It rubs the lotion on it's skin or else it gets Bad Rats again.

♥·.·´¯`·.·♥ Le Mew - Le Purrrrr ♥·.·´¯`·.·♥
Price Trackers --- Enhanced Steam --- SteamGameSales --- IsThereAnyDeal --- CamelCamelCamel Amazon $5 off w/EC List

Don't you be messin' with asheskitty. That girl be from the STREETS, yo.

#5623 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:15 AM

You either have way too much money or not enough games. ;)

I uninstall and re-install games frequently. :lol:

#5624 Detruire

Detruire

Would have finished the dark skin first

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:29 AM

I uninstall and re-install games frequently. :lol:

Oh, pfft. :lol:

Selling Steam key: Pixeljunk Eden (Cards) $0.74

I'm also taking reservations for my Indie Gala August group buy! Please PM me if you're interested. :)

#5625 gilby

gilby

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:47 AM

I could have just made the pic say, "Requires Capsule to Play" but the poster before me reminded me of gamestop. That said I do have a few capulse games (and I really don't want any more), the only non-free one I have an excuse for is High School Dreams which is good and not carried elsewhere.

Wow.

For that, I might need to install Capsule.

#5626 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:02 AM

Anytime this comes up two thoughts come to mind:

1. Just because someone likes one client over another doesn't mean they hate it. It's just preference.

2. Just because someone defends Origin over Steam doesn't mean they are trying to get you to stop using Steam, saying you are wrong, or not respecting your opinion/choice.

I think we can all agree, Origin has come a long way, but Steam is Steam, is always going to be Steam, and it is going to take a lot more than a well done clone to ever make people really make a switch to another client I personally don't think it will ever happen.

I have 5.25 TB of hdd space after purchasing a 3 TB drive. I got tired of having to delete crap and not having access to what I'm in the mood to play (by the time it's done downloading, sometimes the mood has passed) I have all of these services now installed on the 3 TB drive (would love to get a solid state drive but wish they were way larger)
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#5627 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:22 AM

I have 5.25 TB of hdd space after purchasing a 3 TB drive. I got tired of having to delete crap and not having access to what I'm in the mood to play (by the time it's done downloading, sometimes the mood has passed) I have all of these services now installed on the 3 TB drive (would love to get a solid state drive but wish they were way larger)

The great thing about SSDs is that the more space you have, the faster they operate at. Don't get me wrong, HDDs still operate with high spindle speeds and are fine with the currently level of BUS controllers and human perception in general. But we're about five years away from getting SSDs with the capacity of current HDDs at affordable prices, which means there'll be a huge boost in performance and possibly a revolution in PC technology. Make things work faster and your programs can be more intensive (personally, I'm ready for full virtualization and holograms/glasses-less 3D on everything). The only downsides are the migrations from desktops to mobile devices, and the Cloud, both of which are taking focus away from desktop gaming and hardware improvement. Sure, it's cool to have 32GB flash memory on your phone you primarily use to stalk people on Facebook, but come on...

I have about 6TB, but I use it all for storage. Any programs that I actively use are on a OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, and everything else I back up to ISOs and store. Such an underutilized Steam feature.

#5628 Idiotekque

Idiotekque

BURN ALL THE BABIES

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

The great thing about SSDs is that the more space you have, the faster they operate at. Don't get me wrong, HDDs still operate with high spindle speeds and are fine with the currently level of BUS controllers and human perception in general. But we're about five years away from getting SSDs with the capacity of current HDDs at affordable prices, which means there'll be a huge boost in performance and possibly a revolution in PC technology. Make things work faster and your programs can be more intensive (personally, I'm ready for full virtualization and holograms/glasses-less 3D on everything). The only downsides are the migrations from desktops to mobile devices, and the Cloud, both of which are taking focus away from desktop gaming and hardware improvement. Sure, it's cool to have 32GB flash memory on your phone you primarily use to stalk people on Facebook, but come on...

I have about 6TB, but I use it all for storage. Any programs that I actively use are on a OCZ 256GB Vertex 4, and everything else I back up to ISOs and store. Such an underutilized Steam feature.

Posted Image

bZ2g3eF.png

#5629 Izod

Izod

CheepLikeASpoder

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

Holy crap, I didn't even know about that feature - I feel stupid now:
http://www.ghacks.ne...up-steam-games/

For system/gaming I run 3 120gb SSDs and a 1TB external (eSATA). I leave 1 120 for OS / 'applications' the other 2 SSDs are for games I'm currently playing. All other games I move to my external HDD. It works well for me, but I think I can streamline this a bit more with the backup feature.

#5630 HisDivineOrder

HisDivineOrder

Embrace the Dealness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

The downside to SSD's is that with every generation of flash that improves capacity and performance, the dieshrink also reduces the life expectancy of the flash drive as a result. In particular, the TLC that will drive SSD's down to bottom dollar pricing will be particularly pathetic at lifespan before they become unable to do more writes.

That's the downside. The better it gets, the worse it gets. Until we have to switch to something else entirely.

#5631 DonaldBlank

DonaldBlank

CAG in Training

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

That 20% coupon that's supposed to expire today seems to still be working on these indie deals. Atleast it does when I try with Sugar Cube

#5632 Cheaplikeafox OS X

Cheaplikeafox OS X

Slut Shamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:01 PM

I just entered the indie game giveaway on facebook. You have to like GMG, post on their wall in response to a question, then fill out an entry form. The prize is 10 indie games, many of which I want so it was worth the hassle IMO.

Learn how to get FREE and CHEAP games with Tremorgames: http://www.cheapassg...tremorgamescom/

#5633 Blade

Blade

Adolescent Genetically Altered Shinobi Terrapin

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

The downside to SSD's is that with every generation of flash that improves capacity and performance, the dieshrink also reduces the life expectancy of the flash drive as a result. In particular, the TLC that will drive SSD's down to bottom dollar pricing will be particularly pathetic at lifespan before they become unable to do more writes.

That's the downside. The better it gets, the worse it gets. Until we have to switch to something else entirely.

Most SSDs use NAND flash which has a program-erase limitation, meaning they can only write and erase sectors a certain number of times before the sector degrades and becomes unusable. But Macronix announced a theoretical solution to the deterioration problem last year; they proposed a thermal annealing process that would heat up the area being erased and "heal" the electrons while removing data. It's not planned for release yet, but they say you can get up to 100,000,000 P/E cycles out of it. I don't even think you'd be able to clear a browser cache that often in 10 years.

We'll probably see hybrids (SSDs with a rotating disk drive) flood the market before long. It's a good medium, but hybrids can't match SSDs in terms of speed.

#5634 bloodling

bloodling

CAG in Training

• CAG in Training

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

At this point, I'd almost rather pay Steam the $60 they're asking for the game rather than buy it for $8 and be forced to use Origin.

Damn, that's pretty intense.

#5635 dEvAnGeL

dEvAnGeL

sHaMe oN yOu!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:00 PM

did they change the option to open a ticket for support? i don't see it anywhere, i purchase the combo for bioshock infinite+the darkness 2+bioshock 1 and none of the keys i was given are valid

#5636 wEEman33

wEEman33

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

So looks like the old 20% promo code is dead. Anyone know of any promo codes that still work?

#5637 rybrad

rybrad

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

New 20% off code, Civ and Painkiller deals too but someone else can post those if they care about them.

20% off with voucher code GMG20-NT7TS-SY2RT
Ends Friday, March 22 at 12pm EDT

Get a $2 credit for spending $2 and signing up with Green Man Gaming using my link

#5638 Killbomb

Killbomb

Waiting for Darkness

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:01 AM

So I guess they're never getting a restock of Dragonborn. Would love to grab it with the 20% off code.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#5639 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

Posted Image

LMAO, my wife always comments that his hair gets crazier and crazier during the taping of the alien shows he's always on. I say he's the bastard child of Don King and Courtney Love
Posted Image
Posted Image
spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#5640 nintendofan9999

nintendofan9999

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:35 AM

If I buy Bioshock here, I know its a steam code. Does redeeming that act as a pre-order on steam, therefore I'd get steam's bonuses as well?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: green man gaming, gmg, pc downloads, pc, greenmangaming