• Please log in to reply
11622 replies to this topic

#7561 MysterD

MysterD

CAG's "Favorite" DRM-Cashew & Cylon-Toaster

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

But you can't (easily) remove the game from Steam in order to reactivate it

That would depend on if you buy a Steam-version or a Non-Steam Version.

I'd rather have a Non-Steam reason of G4WL games - b/c of the fact that like you said it ain't easy to get a Steam game removed that uses 3rd party crap (like G4WL, Tages, etc). You're stuck w/ what you're stuck w/ on a Steam-version that uses 3rd party DRM - I wish Steam would fix that.

Only thing is - since G4WL is shutting down sometime next year, if we could make enough of a stink about getting games using G4WL to drop that crap and instead switch over to Steamworks, all of the problems of having Steam-versions of G4WL games would be solved. That'd also solve the M$ SSA (Server Side Activation) issues that come w/ activating G4WL games over G4WL, as well.

It would be nice if for those who own Non-Steam versions of G4WL games (like I do w/ the Batman games, Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter 4 Regular Edition, etc) and those guys do switch them over to Steamworks, we could activate our G4WL Keys over onto Steam.

About saved games - yeah, G4WL often encrypts them, so we'd need a change/fix on that, too. Also - PC versions of Batman games, Fallout 3, Gears of War, etc - they're known to have issues sometimes w/ G4WL w/ saves corrupting and/or going missing. Luckily, never had those issues...

{MysterD knocks on wood}

Bing Rewards - Referral Link

We don't play games on CAG; we backlog 'em. ;)

No wonder we have no time to play games!

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#7562 Neuro5i5

Neuro5i5

pʎslǝxıɔ

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:29 PM

To not see GFWL as a DRM patched out in one form or another from strong Steam enabled IPs like Batman or Bioshock I think is a bit ludicrous.  In what form that will take, I think, will depend on the individual pubs.  For example, since Minerva's Den has shown up in Steam's registry, will Bioshock 2 rely solely on Steam or will 2K add someone else into the fold?  Recent 2K trends may suggest Steam only.  On the DRM/activation side of things, I'm honestly not worried about it and wouldn't hesitate buying a major GFWL supported game right now.  Though I'm a singleplayer type person, I think the online/multiplayer aspect of this is a bit murkier.

"This is the way the world ends, not with a whimper but with a bang."

#7563 Drabelincoln

Drabelincoln

Town Drunk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Thought I'd chime in. I'm drabelincoln and I'm
not afraid of drm

#7564 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:52 PM

That would depend on if you buy a Steam-version or a Non-Steam Version.

I'd rather have a Non-Steam reason of G4WL games - b/c of the fact that like you said it ain't easy to get a Steam game removed that uses 3rd party crap (like G4WL, Tages, etc). You're stuck w/ what you're stuck w/ on a Steam-version that uses 3rd party DRM - I wish Steam would fix that.

Only thing is - since G4WL is shutting down sometime next year, if we could make enough of a stink about getting games using G4WL to drop that crap and instead switch over to Steamworks, all of the problems of having Steam-versions of G4WL games would be solved. That'd also solve the M$ SSA (Server Side Activation) issues that come w/ activating G4WL games over G4WL, as well.

It would be nice if for those who own Non-Steam versions of G4WL games (like I do w/ the Batman games, Dead Rising 2, Street Fighter 4 Regular Edition, etc) and those guys do switch them over to Steamworks, we could activate our G4WL Keys over onto Steam.

About saved games - yeah, G4WL often encrypts them, so we'd need a change/fix on that, too. Also - PC versions of Batman games, Fallout 3, Gears of War, etc - they're known to have issues sometimes w/ G4WL w/ saves corrupting and/or going missing. Luckily, never had those issues...

{MysterD knocks on wood}

like how relic and sega did with coh?

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

where the insane message button do snakey bro spanking you is message that message right eheeh 

They're all message buttons!   :bouncy:

http://cms.fightfort...ure.org/tellfcc

https://en.necessary...take-action/EFF

#7565 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

like how relic and sega did with coh?

Yes!

Relic went on ahead and put Steamworks into the "COH: New Steam Version" - and that was b/c the 3rd party MP service they used (Quazal) got shut-down,

COH didn't use G4WL, though. 

And yes - Relic's COH: OF from Retail w/ the "right" key-code format should activate up on Steam.

• Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts CD Keys in this format: 1AB2-CD3F-GH45-6I7J-K8LM

Since we're on Relic subject - it would be nice if Relic did remove G4WL and put Steamworks into Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising (all versions of that game before DOW2: Retribution) for the MP.

EDIT:

To not see GFWL as a DRM patched out in one form or another from strong Steam enabled IPs like Batman or Bioshock I think is a bit ludicrous.  In what form that will take, I think, will depend on the individual pubs.  For example, since Minerva's Den has shown up in Steam's registry, will Bioshock 2 rely solely on Steam or will 2K add someone else into the fold?  Recent 2K trends may suggest Steam only.  On the DRM/activation side of things, I'm honestly not worried about it and wouldn't hesitate buying a major GFWL supported game right now.  Though I'm a singleplayer type person, I think the online/multiplayer aspect of this is a bit murkier.

Yeah, I'd love to see more dev's/pub's that used G4WL take it out and switch over completely to Steamworks - especially if the game has a MP portion - b/c like you said, online/MP might be murkier.

I'd love to see Fallout 3 drop G4WL and switch to Steamworks only - especially since I have FO3: GOTY from Steam. 

About M$ SSA (Service Side Activation) DRM for their G4WL games - even they keep activation servers up namely just so activate the game up just so we can do SP-focused games, we'll be okay. It'd be better if dev's/pub's just pulled the activation out of the SP portions for those games, just so we can play them - and take care of how the offline saves work (without G4WL). And again, like you said - the online/MP is a bit murkier.

All we do is keep buying games; run games idly for cards; keep backlogging games; & talk about games on CAG Forums + gaming forums like it.

#7566 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

Yes!

Relic went on ahead and put Steamworks into the "COH: New Steam Version" - and that was b/c the 3rd party MP service they used (Quazal) got shut-down,

COH didn't use G4WL, though. 

And yes - Relic's COH: OF from Retail w/ the "right" key-code format should activate up on Steam.

Since we're on Relic subject - it would be nice if Relic did remove G4WL and put Steamworks into Dawn of War 2 + Chaos Rising (all versions of that game before DOW2: Retribution) for the MP.

EDIT:

Yeah, I'd love to see more dev's/pub's that used G4WL take it out and switch over completely to Steamworks - especially if the game has a MP portion - b/c like you said, online/MP might be murkier.

I'd love to see Fallout 3 drop G4WL and switch to Steamworks only - especially since I have FO3: GOTY from Steam. 

About M$ SSA (Service Side Activation) DRM for their G4WL games - even they keep activation servers up namely just so activate the game up just so we can do SP-focused games, we'll be okay. It'd be better if dev's/pub's just pulled the activation out of the SP portions for those games, just so we can play them - and take care of how the offline saves work (without G4WL). And again, like you said - the online/MP is a bit murkier.

i was sayin relic andd sega can do it for their gwfl and i was talking that most company can do it if they really want and care bout consuemer cough  codemaster cough ubisoft ccough ea cough mysterd heh jk with u mysterd. dow goty i thinkn use gamespy i could be wrong cause it no gfwl 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

where the insane message button do snakey bro spanking you is message that message right eheeh 

#7567 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

i was sayin relic andd sega can do it for their gwfl and i was talking that most company can do it if they really want and care bout consuemer cough  codemaster cough ubisoft ccough ea cough mysterd heh jk with u mysterd. dow goty i thinkn use gamespy i could be wrong cause it no gfwl 

You know, I never checked what Dawn of War 1 games used for MP.

It'd be nice if Codemasters took out G4WL on some of their games and replaced it w/ Steamworks on some of their games - such as DIRT 2.

#7568 Foxhack

Foxhack

Bad at math

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

It'd be nice if Codemasters took out G4WL on some of their games and replaced it w/ Steamworks on some of their games - such as DIRT 2.

Are you kidding? Codemasters is happy to let game licenses expire after a few years. I don't expect them to remove GFWL from the game. They'll just let it die.

I just wish companies would be more open about their GFWL plans. I have Lost Planet 1 on Steam, and Colonies Edition on disc. I wish we could upgrade LP1 to Colonies on Steam without having to deal with GFWL... and what about stuff made by devs that no longer exist?

foxhack.jpg

#7569 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:56 PM

yes if only microsoft announced it since codemaster said ms didnt announce it. microsoft become microdick since windows 8 to me. i would drather be hit mind link steel chair then buy windows 8 cause eit not windows it tablety which is not what windows is. also coh  1 and tov has work since move use the key taht u acitvate blah so steam site is slacking off eh 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7570 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:20 PM

yes if only microsoft announced it since codemaster said ms didnt announce it. microsoft become microdick since windows 8 to me. i would drather be hit mind link steel chair then buy windows 8 cause eit not windows it tablety which is not what windows is. also coh  1 and tov has work since move use the key taht u acitvate blah so steam site is slacking off eh 

I like  :pc: 8.

The news and art live tiles are dope and some of the free apps -- like the free-book hubs and even a few games -- are fantastic.

Download the free Classic Shell and you never have to be (or see) Metro ever again -- skip grooming and begin on the desktop just like you always have. Switch between the two in an instant.

There's absolutely no need to upgrade your computer to 8 if you have Windows 7 doe. This is all old news doe.

MARS

#7571 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:07 AM

I love :pc: 8.

The news and art live tiles are dope and some of the free apps -- like the free-book hubs and even a few games -- are fantastic.

Download the free Classic Shell and you never have to be (or see) Metro ever again -- skip grooming and begin on the desktop just like you always have. Switch between the two in an instant.

There's absolutely no need to upgrade your computer to 8 if you have Windows 7 doe. This is all old news doe.

that why i never did baha i wont i rather be spank by AJ Lee than get new laptop with windows tablet. who ever likes are microsoft hammer of bitches. no offense but im use to like microsoft before windows tablet aka windws 8. i never upgrade

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7572 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 02:21 AM

that why i never did baha i wont i rather be spank by AJ Lee than get new laptop with windows tablet. who ever likes are microsoft hammer of bitches. no offense but im use to like microsoft before windows tablet aka windws 8. i never upgrade

I'm easy to please in that way -- '95 through 7 were all good enough for me. I can't muster two fucks about an OS compared to other things.

If it plays my game then we a'ight.

MARS

#7573 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:40 AM

I'm easy to please in that way -- '95 through 7 were all good enough for me. I can't muster two fucks about an OS. If it plays my game then we a'ight.

it matters if it at least similar to windows 7 the important feature start button has to be there and needs to be same system or spilit it up so people who doesnt use tablets or use once in while  and the tablet. cuase it now not windows anymore

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7574 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:49 AM

I'm easy to please in that way -- '95 through 7 were all good enough for me. I can't muster two fucks about an OS. If it plays my game then we a'ight.

Really - you even liked Windows ME?

{eyebrow raised}

That OS was littered w/ bugs, issues, freezes, and all kinds of other insanity.

#7575 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:53 AM

{eyebrow raised}

i want windows mysterd when mysterd buys microsoft i heard he was suppose to be ceo soon. bahha. and i like windows 7. i have cousin who wouldnt upgrade to windows vista/7 cause he didnt like it. windows 7 was the last good one till microsoft stop being fools lol. i would never buy overprice crap on windows store i rather spend on steam os than windows store 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7576 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

{eyebrow raised}

It played my games.

MARS

#7577 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:57 AM

i want windows mysterd when mysterd buys microsoft i heard he was suppose to be ceo soon. bahha. and i like windows 7. i have cousin who wouldnt upgrade to windows vista/7 cause he didnt like it. windows 7 was the last good one till microsoft stop being fools lol. i would never buy overprice crap on windows store i rather spend on steam os than windows store 

Bah - I can't afford Microsoft...

...Well, at least not yet.

Not until SteamOS & SteamMachines; AMD's Mantle API; & the PlayStation 3 all together try to put the nail in Microsoft's coffin.

#7578 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

it matters if it at least similar to windows 7 the important feature start button has to be there and needs to be same system or spilit it up so people who doesnt use tablets or use once in while  and the tablet. cuase it now not windows anymore

Classic Shell

MARS

#7579 MysterD

MysterD

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:59 AM

It played my games.

I skipped it. My ex-neighbor had a new PC at that time w/ Win ME - and my God, I have never seen and/or used a Windows OS so buggy, problematic, glitchy, and so full of issues in my life.

#7580 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:02 AM

I skipped it. My ex-neighbor had a new PC at that time w/ Win ME - and my God, I have never seen and/or used a Windows OS so buggy, problematic, glitchy, and so full of issues in my life.

You were kickin' it with your neighbor a lot?

MARS

#7581 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:05 AM

Classic Shell

neveeerrrrrrrrrrrr microsoft took important feature they shoudl give u choice it what microsoft should still be 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7582 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

{eyebrow raised}

I personally loved Windows ME, it kept my coffee table from getting wet from condensation.   :bouncy:

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#7583 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

neveeerrrrrrrrrrrr microsoft took important feature they shoudl give u choice it what microsoft should still be 

No Classic Shell?

Windows 8.1

MARS

#7584 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:28 AM

No Classic Shell?

Windows 8.1

yea i reead it that nice but ew if u upgrade from 7 to 8 u have to reinstall everything lame lol 

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7585 schiz0e

schiz0e

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Paradox's Warlock Titles 75% off

http://www.greenmang...warlock paradox

If you are buying the whole set it might be cheaper on Steam right now.

#7586 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 30 September 2013 - 05:10 PM

Paradox's Warlock Titles 75% off

http://www.greenmang...warlock paradox

That's the historical low for the Armageddon DLC. By far.

MARS

#7587 sunasun

sunasun

Count Burgula approves and endorses this member title

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:48 AM

yea i reead it that nice but ew if u upgrade from 7 to 8 u have to reinstall everything lame lol 

then you need this, use code MACR0913 to get it for 4.99.. ;)

51eh8ZUjMSL._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...aches windows 8

spoderman And tebow like this

Bacon-Cheeseburger-160x160.jpegmidnightoriginal__94722.1354255776.178.1  mysterd likes this

#7588 icedragon15

icedragon15

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:03 AM

then you need this, use code MACR0913 to get it for 4.99.. ;)

51eh8ZUjMSL._SY300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co...aches windows 8

not anymore after i saw 8..1 gives u option lol but u know what awesome one of my survey give me questions about steam yea that fucking cool

486163.png

76561198028344994.png

#7589 MrNinjaSquirrel

MrNinjaSquirrel

Emo Blogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

not anymore after i saw 8..1 gives u option lol but u know what awesome one of my survey give me questions about steam yea that fucking cool

I got surveyed about Dragon Age Inquisition before it was announced, which felt sorta cool... yes my life is rather sad indeed...

Hey, you look like you have a lot of money; how about donating some of it to my Extra Life drive?

#7590 Necrotron

Necrotron

Now with strawberry!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:25 AM

I got surveyed about Dragon Age Inquisition before it was announced, which felt sorta cool... yes my life is rather sad indeed...

Aww, they need to survey me!  I played hundreds of hours of their previous titles.

Ha, congrats!