Photo
- - - - -

Read 5 chapters e-book contest - currently only 4 entries! Win $60 game/pre-order!

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:50 AM

Okay, so 10 years ago this September, I finished writing my first novel. Part fantasy, part horror, part theology. Is it any good? You tell me...no seriously, please tell me!

Here's the contest:

Purchase (for $2.99) my e-book, "Crumb & The Theology of Trees" <--click there.

Quick update - I will be donating ALL the proceeds from the book (that's 70%, Amazon takes 30%) to the annual CAG fundraiser.

Posted Image

Over the next couple weeks, read AT LEAST THE FIRST FIVE CHAPTERS. When you're done, send me a paragraph review (be honest, but thorough so I know you actually read it!) I need genuine feedback - if it sucks, tell me. If you liked a certain part, tell me. (I reserve the right to ask you for a specific word on a specific page to verify you actually own it...)

On August 15th, 2011, I'll take the names of everybody who sent me a review, put 'em in a hat, and draw a name. The winner can choose a current game from Amazon.com, up to $59.99 price. I'll order and ship it to them once the contest is over - and will post the winner's name here.

Please, do not buy a copy and share it - I could use multiple opinions, but also the income! CORRECTION - The charity could use the income during the contest...I could use the income once the contest is over.

Amazon Kindle software link (for PC, Mac, Kindle, e-Book, etc.)

Thanks in advance for your support,
Chris Huntington

Edited by chrisnsally, 09 August 2011 - 11:11 AM.

#2 n3xus1

n3xus1

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:24 AM

Cool! I'll give you some feedback when finished!
Posted Image

#3 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:59 AM

Much appreciated - and bump #1.

#4 Scorpius

Scorpius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

I may pick this up once I finish up with Animorphs, can you give a quick (non-spoiler) synopsis

#5 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:54 PM

Quick update - I'm going to contact CheapyD and see if he'll post this on the main page, as I'm going to donate ALL the proceeds from the book (that's 70%, Amazon takes 30%) to the annual CAG fundraiser.

Synopsis: The story follows the path of Crumb, a young sapling (tree) who has only known his home forest and nothing beyond. After an 'incident' (don't want to give it away), he swears resolution to a dead human, murdered by an evil monstrosity known only as the Necris. Along that path, he gains the help of several other (non-traditional) characters...a childlike boulder named Crock, a beautiful breeze named Soria, and a water elemental named Brash'wah.

There's a LOT more going on, and I do realize how cheesy the above sounds...but feedback early on was very good. I hope you like it!

#6 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:59 PM

charity bump #2

#7 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:08 AM

Bump #3

#8 CheapAssHustla

CheapAssHustla

Hustle..Hustle Hard

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 02:39 AM

Story sounds pretty interesting!

#9 Lemarfanz

Lemarfanz

Video Games Are Art!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 03:50 AM

...animorphs?

how long is the novel?
I LOVE INDIE GAMES!

I SUPPORT THEM WHOLEHEARTEDLY.

#10 Scorpius

Scorpius

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 05:05 AM

...animorphs?

how long is the novel?

Yep, Animorphs, I've digressed back to my childhood for reading, not the most intellectual, but it's actually a pretty cool series, and I never finished it when I was younger.

#11 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:56 AM

Novel is a few hundred pages...but I'm wondering that since this is now for charity, should I maybe cut back on the requirements? Any suggestions or thoughts?

#12 JamesFerguson

JamesFerguson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

I'm definitely interested in this, but I don't have a Kindle. I've never bought an e-book from Amazon. Can I read the book without one?

#13 MrPiggles

MrPiggles

Better Call Saul

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'm definitely interested in this, but I don't have a Kindle. I've never bought an e-book from Amazon. Can I read the book without one?

I'm not entirely sure but I think there's something you can install on your PC to read Kindle e-books and I think there's an iOS app too.

#14 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 04:24 PM

Yeah, you can have it delivered to your PC...here's Amazon's link:

Amazon e-book software

#15 JamesFerguson

JamesFerguson

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Yeah, you can have it delivered to your PC...here's Amazon's link:

Amazon e-book software

Thanks. Just picked it up. I'll let you know when I've had a look-see. Regardless of the contest, if it's horror-related I'll put a review up on HorrorTalk.com.

#16 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

Thanks. Just picked it up. I'll let you know when I've had a look-see. Regardless of the contest, if it's horror-related I'll put a review up on HorrorTalk.com.

I REALLY appreciate that...if you (or anyone) wants to add a review to the Amazon.com page, I'd appreciate that too. Even if it's a bad review, I appreciate the feedback!!!

28 more days to the end of the contest!

: )

#17 bob101910

bob101910

Cammy's Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:01 AM

Sounds weird yet interesting. Plus it all goes to charity. The only review is pretty funny. I don't read much though. I'll probably buy and post it on my Twitter.

EDIT: Post on my Twitter meaning tell people to buy it, not give them a free copy.

Also, how hard is it to publish a book online? A lot of time and money? Have some stuff I want to publish within the next year, but it's not a novel.

My Completed Games (Last Updated: 02/26/14 *Most Recent: Chaos Rings*)

(Pic gets updated every few months)

completedgames.jpg

#18 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:34 AM

Honestly, with Amazon, it's not hard at all. And if you're okay giving them a 30% cut, it doesn't cost you anything! Thanks for posting to your twitter acct...and help is appreciated! Hopefully we'll be able to raise a fair amount of $!

#19 Cadwr

Cadwr

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 07:26 AM

I'd buy it just to support the creative endeavors of a fellow CAG, but some charity do-gooding and a chance to win a free game? Now I'm in even harder.

That said, I don't know if I will have enough free time to get feedback in before the end of the contest... but I'll definitely give the book a read either way.

#20 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:08 PM

I'm thinking maybe a review of the first few chapters? Would folks be more amenable to that?

#21 bob101910

bob101910

Cammy's Cat

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

I'm thinking maybe a review of the first few chapters? Would folks be more amenable to that?

Yeah, that'd probably be better. There's no way I'm going to read a couple hundred pages in a month. Maybe if there was an audio version so I can listen to it while doing something else, I'd finish it in a week.

My Completed Games (Last Updated: 02/26/14 *Most Recent: Chaos Rings*)

(Pic gets updated every few months)

completedgames.jpg

#22 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Okay....I think the first five chapters is more realistic. Plus, hopefully, that'll be enough to hook readers. If not, I didn't do my job!

Will update now...

#23 MetallicAttack

MetallicAttack

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:02 AM

chrisnsally, I'm digging the synopsis of your book. The fact that I can add this to my kindle is great, I will be purchasing tonight after work. I've been looking for a new book to read and the fact that I have a slim chance of winning a game is icing on the cake. I will send you my review in a week or so, I'd like to actually read the whole book if I possibly can.
Posted Image

#24 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:32 AM

MetallicAttack - I appreciate the interest! I hope you enjoy the book...I spent a year+ writing it, and had another 6+ months of editing. It's as polished as I think I can get it...hopefully you'll feel the same.

Thanks for all the support/feedback thus far. We're at 10+ copies sold, so hopefully we can keep the momentum.

I haven't heard from CheapD (probably busy), but once this is over, I assume I can just PayPal the $ over to him?

Chris

#25 Mr Dude65

Mr Dude65

CAG Uber-Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 04:38 AM

Hmmm, any physical copies?
This space reserved in memory of one of the greatest heroes we will ever know. He faced insurmountable odds and sacrificed all for what he believed in. He died so that we could delay the inevitable. His name shall be honored forever, and his legend inscribed into the annals of history forever. And his name was...

Marauder Shields.

Remember 03.06.12.
http://gamercard.xbo...ertag=Mr Dude65

#26 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:09 AM

Two in existence. Nothing published beyond an e-book, sorry. Who knows, if it garners enouh attention, I may be able to catch a publisher's eye.....

#27 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

Updated title to reflect easier-to-enter-contest criteria. And Bump #1.

#28 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 03:56 AM

Bump #2

#29 chrisnsally

chrisnsally

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

AM bump 1

#30 Porksta

Porksta

Sillier Mofo

• CAGiversary!

Posted 20 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

You say do not share it because you could use the income generated from multiple purchases - but then say all proceeds are going to charity. So then you really don't need the income, do you?
I am famous for getting CheapyD to watch Swollen Tip while he was broadcasting live.