Gamefly vs Blockbuster Online

mattand

CAGiversary!
Gamefly's one disc plan is $16 a month. Blockbuster's one disc plan (which includes movies and games) is $12.

Other than selection, I'm wondering if Blockbuster might not be the better way to rent games by mail.

(Of course, this precludes Blockbuster ditching games or just finally going down in a smoking ruin.)

Thoughts? Ideas? Bitter, venon-laced invective?

I used to use blockbuster prior to them using videogames. They shipped fast. I also had gamefly and the shipping was slow. But that also depends where you live. It took like 5-7 days to ship a game back and get a new one. So I'd suggest doing a trial for each to determine the shipping.

New releases are extremely tough to get at gamefly, not sure how the selection and availability at blockbuster.

Hope that helps let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Munley. I'll probably try Blockbuster first. We're cancelling our Netflix streaming come Sept., so we'll have some extra cash to try the services with.

Based on your icon, I'l go out on a limb and say "Go Phils!" Partly because the Eagles' season still looks iffy.

Keep in mind that you can't get new releases on Blockbuster. You have to wait 100 days for each game before you can add it to your Queue. I've never liked Gamefly because I found that I could never get the games I wanted and the shipping was incredibly slow. I had no problem getting the few games I've gotten from Blockbuster, but I wouldn't sign up for the service strictly for the game selection.

I read something about BBV they take 100 day hold on new release game, not sure that is true or not. For example, game like NCAA12, you cant get that at least 100 days from the release day.

I believe they have a plan on All access that you can exchange game rental for free the plan is $21.99 per month...... something like that. it would work out if you have BBV store close by.

For the 9.99 plan you get unlimited movie and game per month. but you will have to pay $4.XX per in store exchange game... but in store movie exhange is free.

[quote name='leung19']I read something about BBV they take 100 day hold on new release game, not sure that is true or not. For example, game like NCAA12, you cant get that at least 100 days from the release day.

I believe they have a plan on All access that you can exchange game rental for free the plan is $21.99 per month...... something like that. it would work out if you have BBV store close by.

For the 9.99 plan you get unlimited movie and game per month. but you will have to pay $4.XX per in store exchange game... but in store movie exhange is free.[/QUOTE]
It's true. Blockbuster has a 30 day free trial going on so I got it. All new games are not open to be rented by mail for a long time. Madden until December and games like Portal 2 and Red Faction Armageddon are not out there yet. It is cheaper, but the cheaper price isn't worth the degraded selection. Gamefly has all new games ready to rent day 1, maybe a tad more costly but for me worth it. Also Gamefly lets you buy any game you rent easy, Blockbuster doesn't and also has rewards which I am not sure blockbuster does either. As stated above getting BBV for the games alone is a mistake. Try both, but for me Gamefly is the overall better deal.

IMO, you would better off going in the store and getting the game pass. I paid like $22 a month for the unlimited 1 game plan. Plus they get the new release games in the store.

Blockbuster Online doesn't get new releases until several months later. Which is why I never used the trial.

The $10 instore thing for both 1 game/dvd out at a time is great for the first few months, but then the price goes up to over $30. I ended up just getting Gamefly which ended up being cheaper for 2 games than Blockbuster for 1 with a wider selection.

But from reading this....
"but you will have to pay $4.XX per in store exchange game... "

...Maybe it stays $10 a month now because mine never had this. $4 per in store exchange is rediculous. I'd exchange the game twice a week, sometimes sooner. The $4 makes it not worth it at all.

If you want to get a lot of games (sounds like you do from the title), then 100% Gamefly. If you get 1 or 2 games a month and the rest movies, then Blockbuster.

Or... you can go with GameHuddle.com where their rates work out to $15/mo for the single game plan and they only charge you for the days you have the game out.

I have yet to hear of anyone not being able to get new titles. Heck the system has a built in incentive for people to share new titles that are in demand.

Added bonus if you give a damn... you are giving money only in part to them. A portion also goes to your fellow gamers instead of just going towards some executives yacht fund.

[quote name='Schade']Or... you can go with GameHuddle.com where their rates work out to $15/mo for the single game plan and they only charge you for the days you have the game out.

I have yet to hear of anyone not being able to get new titles. Heck the system has a built in incentive for people to share new titles that are in demand.

Added bonus if you give a damn... you are giving money only in part to them. A portion also goes to your fellow gamers instead of just going towards some executives yacht fund.[/QUOTE]

Is that the one where you can put games up for people to rent? If it is, it sounds pretty good, but don't they charge for the time you are shipping the game back? Does that $15 a month include the days you have the game out? If they don't I may be very interested in this.

Yes, the basics of the service are that gamers like you and me provide the inventory and GameHuddle facilitates the rental of said games. Those who share games reap profit which they can cash out through PayPal or use their earnings to pay for rentals.

I have yet to hear of anyone having a problem getting a new release. As I noted above, the payment model has a built in solution to this issue. High demand games pay out higher to those sharing thus encouraging more people to share high demand games.

There is no membership fee, you only pay for the game(s) you rent.

The pricing model is $1 per day for the first five days and $0.40 per day for each day after that. You can keep the game for as long or as short a period as you like. (In a 30 day month that works out to $15/mo but if you only keep it for two weeks you only pay $8.60).

They do not charge you for the time the game ships from their facility to you. They do charge for the days from your house back to them.

I been using it for 7 months now and am very happy I switched. It also feels good that when I rent a game I know a % is going to a fellow gamer and not all of it to some corporate fat cat.

[quote name='Schade'] I been using it for 7 months now and am very happy I switched. It also feels good that when I rent a game I know a % is going to a fellow gamer and not all of it to some corporate fat cat.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I just checked them out and their prices are a bit higher than you said. $5 for 1st 5 days, then .40 after that. The prices on their site are a huge deal breaker for me. I only use Gamefly because it is cheaper than going instore (Family Video, Blockbuster, etc.).

This price...
"Pay as you play. $5 for the first 5 days of your rental (paid up front), then 40¢ a day for every day after that (don't worry, we do the math for you)."
...Is about the same as instore, if not a little more.

If I rented 2 games at a time twice a month and only kept them out for anything over 5 days, it would be more expensive than Gamefly for me.

I might try them out for new releases if Blockbuster or another local rental store doesn't have them.

Just wanted to give an update on Blockbuster Total Access. They changed their pricing on in-store on games (daily rates now). So now non new release games are included under the online exchange. Makes it worth a little more to me

I'm getting a 3 month free trial of this cause I'm getting Dish Network, but WTF is with their stock? Every single game I checked either shows it coming in stock like 3-4 months after it first releases or that the game isn't rentable online.

What's the point of this?

Gamehuddle is good service if you have the time to poop sock a game.Going forward and toward the end of the year it's gonna be near impossible to rent out new releases.Hell,Dead Island has been out of stock since its release. Still better than Gamefly or Blockbuster. It's Gamehuddle and Redbox for me.

[quote name='krashhole']IMO, you would better off going in the store and getting the game pass. I paid like $22 a month for the unlimited 1 game plan. Plus they get the new release games in the store.[/QUOTE]

This was lowered to 15 a month for 1 out, way better than any mail service as there is no shipping time and you can get the games on release if you get there early enough. I love my instore bbv plan.
btw it also includes dvd/blu for that price so if there aren't any games you can catch up on movies.

I'm not sure why this thread was necromanced, but don't forget that Qwikster (formerly Netflix) will being video game rentals shortly. Certainly could be a contender pending pricing. The biggest problem with Gamefly is the fact that it takes nearly a week turnaround to send/receive games.

[quote name='victimsofadown']I'm not sure why this thread was necromanced, but don't forget that Qwikster (formerly Netflix) will being video game rentals shortly. Certainly could be a contender pending pricing. The biggest problem with Gamefly is the fact that it takes nearly a week turnaround to send/receive games.[/QUOTE]

I most def agree with the first half of this post. Qwikster is something to look forward to for sure.
Gamefly has done me great in the 5 years I've used them. I get games in 2-3 days - usually 2 - and I always get new releases sent to me if I have it first in my Queue - ALWAYS... but maybe I'm just lucky. There is most def a 'technique' in making sure games are being sent to you when they should... Too much to explain...

yeah Gamefly has been pretty good to me. though shipping to my new address (10 miles away from old) seems to be a couple days slower (or they've slowed down)

anyone ever tried gamemine? seems interesting.

bread's done
Back