Extra Life Game for Charity Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostybroc

CAGiversary!
Feedback
75 (100%)

CHAT ROOM IS UP!

Extra Life, an annual 24-hour video game marathon that raises money to help heal sick kids at your local Children's Miracle Network Hospital. It's never been this much fun to do this much good.
Essentially you sign up, and send people to your donate page that you customize. Listed is your picture and your goal. You pledge to game for 24 hours straight to raise money for the hospital of your choice from their drop down menu (ie All Childrens in Tampa, Fl was one of them). Then on October 20th, 2012 at 9am your local standard time, you start gaming.

Its really easy, and something most of us tend to do. Hell good karma, and a great reason to take a day off from work to help the children.

Here's a link to the Extra Life registration page with more information -----> Click Here
Here's a link to the Team Cheap Ass Gamer Extra Life Team Page -----> Click Here
Here's a link to the Children's Miracle Network for more information on there organizational and mission statement ----> click here

We now have a Facebook page! - HERE

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, I'l see if we can get this thing stickied, and stat recruiting. Hopefully we can get the gaming support to donate again to motivate folks to raise funds. I'll see if I can find the old thread and resurrect members and staff

Alright, I'll "wiki" the thread and post more info tomorrow. Essentially you raise money for Children's Miracle Network, and do a 24 hour gaming marathon on the day (or alternate). Last year abunch of people donated items and game devs donated games to help motivate fund raising (I won Dirt2 for 360). Great way to help a worthy cause and have fun.

Waiting on Cheapy D to give the ok to start the Team, of there isnt a team already.

[quote name='sdclippers']So is this something we each can do from our own homes?[/QUOTE]

Yes essentially you sign up and setup your extra life page (last year we did). Send people to your page where they can donate via paypal or credit card. Then instead of doing a 5k walk like most charities do, you pledge to game for 24 hours. I'm going to go ahead get the team started today and poist more information.

I'm thinking of holding some contests to add some flavor to this. Possibly a raffle with some games and swag, also maybe top prize I buy or pay for your full preorder of a game of your choice.

The funds go to the Children's Miracle Network, you can look them up online to see the great work they do for children.

I'm down! Wanted to do this last year, but was in the middle of college. How do I sign up for Team CAG?

EDIT: Found it under team name!

Hey! Look at this! Glad to see so many people get involved this early! Feel free to edit anything in the thread, or ask me or frostbroc if you have any questions.

And for the sake of keeping things organized, if you would add your name to the list when you register in the first post, please do so, or ask someone else to do it for you. That way we can know all who are involved, and when it comes raffle time, it might be easier to have a nice full list!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Hell Monkey']Yeah if someone can add my name I'd appreciate it. NIck V[/QUOTE]

On it! I knew who you were, I just couldn't remember your real name!

Here are some ideas that will probably carry over from last year -

Raffle
Chat Room
Posting everyones XBL name/PSN/Friend code so we can get together

Ideas are ALWAYS welcome!

Chat room sounds awesome! I wish I could figure out how to do a Live Stream kind of thing for people that donate (if I can pull that off haha). Not sure who all has XBLA, but I'd love to get into a 24 hr XBLA party!

Why dont people just donate to the source instead of fucking having charities events and all that other nonsense all the time?

The worst are big charity events because they take donation money to pay for everything and then the leftovers go to the place it was original intended. Most of its bullshit anyway since half the people who donate money only do so for a tax right off.

If you guys actually honestly cared about the childrens miracle network you would just give your money directly to them when you could, not when some event makes it fun to give your money away and you get a reciept for when tax time comes.

[quote name='gargus']Why dont people just donate to the source instead of fucking having charities events and all that other nonsense all the time?

The worst are big charity events because they take donation money to pay for everything and then the leftovers go to the place it was original intended. Most of its bullshit anyway since half the people who donate money only do so for a tax right off.

If you guys actually honestly cared about the childrens miracle network you would just give your money directly to them when you could, not when some event makes it fun to give your money away and you get a reciept for when tax time comes.[/QUOTE]

Wow. First off, some of us do donate BESIDES events like this. Secondly, this is a gaming site. It's nice that the Children's Miracle Network gives us an outlet to do some good with our gaming hobby. Last, if you don't like it, then don't post. No one is forcing you or anyone to be apart of this that doesn't want to be. But screw you for coming to this forum and talking down to us because we walk to help children by doing something we love! Excuse me for caring and NOT having ulterior motives as you so wrongly accused us of!

[quote name='gargus']Why dont people just donate to the source instead of fucking having charities events and all that other nonsense all the time?

If you guys actually honestly cared about the childrens miracle network you would just give your money directly to them when you could, not when some event makes it fun to give your money away and you get a reciept for when tax time comes.[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Sarcastic Gamer doesn't even see any of the money, nor does anyone else besides the Childrens Miracle Network.

Also, some of us are working, not just donating. I've got pictures of people getting donations at Warped Tour that I plan on posting. So the gaming aspect is getting other people involved who normally wouldn't.

And you know what? I don't care if people do it for a tax "write" off. I'm sure that sick child doesn't either. A dollar is a dollar, my friend.

Since technically you are donating directly to the Childrens miracle network, I don't see your point. Some people need motivation and reminders that "Hey, the world out there is a pretty crappy place. How about you help out?". You are still sacrificing your time getting donations, and some are still donating their hard earned money.

Jesus dude, who shit in your cereal this morning? This is a good thing.

Good luck all!

if you are interested during the 24 hours of gaming, the GameEnthus team is up to play again this year, with rounds of Halo and such. Link is in the signature below.

Also, don't pay attention to Gargus, this is good stuff you are doing

[quote name='dwhelan']Good luck all!

if you are interested during the 24 hours of gaming, the GameEnthus team is up to play again this year, with rounds of Halo and such. Link is in the signature below.

Also, don't pay attention to Gargus, this is good stuff you are doing[/QUOTE]

Big thanks for your donations, by the way! Once the time draws closer, we will have to organize something and get together! I'll throw you on the front so we don't forget.

[quote name='DarkMinerva']If someone could add me to the list that would be great. Sarah S[/QUOTE]

Updated! Thanks for joining!

If someone could add me to the list, Jonathan M, I would appreciate it.

Also, is there any way that nonsense at the top of this page could be deleted? I could see it deterring some away from the event.

"All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration."
That quote is straight from the FAQs on their website, for those concerned where the money goes. http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1005&eventID=501

edit: Maybe put the city/hospital that each participant is raising money for by their name in the original post. Just in case some donors are looking for a local hospital to donate to. I choose CMN in general, this way the funds can go where they are needed most.

[quote name='Sunfire14']If someone could add me to the list, Jonathan M, I would appreciate it.

Also, is there any way that nonsense at the top of this page could be deleted? I could see it deterring some away from the event.

"All funds will be disbursed directly to the hospital selected during registration."
That quote is straight from the FAQs on their website, for those concerned where the money goes. http://www.extra-life.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1005&eventID=501

edit: Maybe put the city/hospital that each participant is raising money for by their name in the original post. Just in case some donors are looking for a local hospital to donate to. I choose CMN in general, this way the funds can go where they are needed most.[/QUOTE]

Added!

And thanks for the idea! I might just go through and update the hospital beside everyones name when I add in XBL/PSN names in the near future.

[quote name='Sunfire14']Much appreciated. Could you fix my name though, thanks. :)[/QUOTE]

Haha. Yeah. My bad. I fixed it. I shall blame that mistake on the heat, because I feel like blaming something on the extreme weather.

I made a few Sigs for people to use if they would like. I just put these two together quickly so they are not the best, but I thought they might help us get some more people to sign up or donate.

Sig_1copy.jpg

Sig_2copy.jpg

I'm willing to make some different ones when I have some more time or if anyone has any suggestions.

Bumped up the date for my Halo Reach Raffle. Feel free to grab the pic off my sig and use it for your sites and such. I just cropped it from the EL website.

[quote name='DarkMinerva']I made a few Sigs for people to use if they would like. I just put these two together quickly so they are not the best, but I thought they might help us get some more people to sign up or donate.

Sig_1copy.jpg

Sig_2copy.jpg

I'm willing to make some different ones when I have some more time or if anyone has any suggestions.[/QUOTE]

Very nice! These look great!

Yeah, Halo Reach Contest is over. So this is what I'm doing, those that join Team CAG will be entered in a drawing to win a game of their choice.

Those that donate to my page get entered to win a 1600 M$Point Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back