Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V2 - Dig into those holiday games. V3 thread coming soon!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13860 replies to this topic

#901 topplehat

topplehat

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:06 PM

Front Mission for $7.50? Not too bad, but i'll pass.

#902 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:17 PM

great deal on s8.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#903 killerthrust

killerthrust

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

Prototype for $10.20

http://store.steampo....com/app/10150/

#904 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:37 PM

Prototype seems kind of interesting, but $10 for a game that came out in 2007 seems steep unless you're a particular fan of the genre. $3 and I'd buy it. :) Yes, I'm that cheap, but I way too many other games to play.

Don't get me wrong, SPAZ was interesting and I liked the sort of free wheeling, just collect and build mechanics. That losing a ship was scarcely a speed bump so long as you didn't keep losing. The comparisons to SC2 don't seem right to me, as SC2 was massive time management, adventure game style dialogs and fetching, and very arcade, distinct combat... and lousy mining. This is entirely different, something like Space Rangers only in real time with a better focus and less stupid difficulty curve. I don't know.

I got to about working grinding quests/resources in the second quadrant before calling it a night. I liked the ideas and the style, but the interface was still awful in a lot of ways and I was not feeling the combat. Mid combat targeting is still stupid.

Also, I thought overflow crew was supposed to go to your goons stock...

The funny thing is, I can't even disagree with you about any of that, yet I still adore the game. Maybe the difference is that I really enjoy the combat for whatever reason. And you're right, the SC2 comparisons are just surface-level really. And I can't figure the goons thing out either, or I couldn't in the demo at least.

#905 Monroeski

Monroeski

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:40 PM

Don't get me wrong, SPAZ was interesting and I liked the sort of free wheeling, just collect and build mechanics. That losing a ship was scarcely a speed bump so long as you didn't keep losing. The comparisons to SC2 don't seem right to me, as SC2 was massive time management, adventure game style dialogs and fetching, and very arcade, distinct combat... and lousy mining. This is entirely different, something like Space Rangers only in real time with a better focus and less stupid difficulty curve. I don't know.

I got to about working grinding quests/resources in the second quadrant before calling it a night. I liked the ideas and the style, but the interface was still awful in a lot of ways and I was not feeling the combat. Mid combat targeting is still stupid.

Also, I thought overflow crew was supposed to go to your goons stock...

Have you played Starscape? How would it compare to that?

#906 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:05 PM

For the love of crap:

Steam Group Buy and Gift Requests thread

Deals: Prototype, want this but not at that price. FME, got it (and all DLC) as part of the Squeenix pack a whiles ago; backlogged. S8P, why the hell isn't the original on Steam also? cursssessssss
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#907 VindictiveGnome

VindictiveGnome

Cleared to engage.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:06 PM

I definitely want Section 8. Not sure about Front Mission Evolved.

#908 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:09 PM

I am debating both Prototype and Front Mission. I had Prototype when it came out but was trumped by inFamous at the time and never finished it. I was hoping for cheaper but do you think $10 is still too steep for such an old game?

Also I have never played Front Mission games but always feel they look somewhat interesting, input?

And yeah dfg is right, we have the request thread people, use it.

#909 Versafied

Versafied

Formerly known as vlv723

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Front Mission Evolved. Really want it but DLC not on sale. I'll pass. Can be at $5 during the Holiday sale.

#910 Fergywan

Fergywan

Soaring with Angels

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:15 PM

I am debating both Prototype and Front Mission. I had Prototype when it came out but was trumped by inFamous at the time and never finished it. I was hoping for cheaper but do you think $10 is still too steep for such an old game?

Also I have never played Front Mission games but always feel they look somewhat interesting, input?

And yeah dfg is right, we have the request thread people, use it.

I just got Front Mission Evolved for the 360 a little while ago off of eBay for around the same price. I am a little over half way through and can say it's a solid 7 for me. I really like how you can customize your wanzers, which adds a lot of variety. The missions vary from jungle to snow, but your mostly doing the same thing over and over. The environments just seem to be missing life and atmosphere. There are so many things to collect each mission it takes the away the fun, unless you are into all that. Overall, I think it's worth that price, but not much more.

#911 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

Wow I paid 10 bucks for s8 during summer. Did not expect the drop to be so quick. Recommend it, especially for that price.

#912 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:22 PM

I just got Front Mission Evolved for the 360 a little while ago off of eBay for around the same price. I am a little over half way through and can say it's a solid 7 for me. I really like how you can customize your wanzers, which adds a lot of variety. The missions vary from jungle to snow, but your mostly doing the same thing over and over. The environments just seem to be missing life and atmosphere. There are so many things to collect each mission it takes the away the fun, unless you are into all that. Overall, I think it's worth that price, but not much more.

Thank you for the input!

Judging by that description I think I will pass. It seems interesting enough but I have enough games in my backlog that have more 'life' than this game appears to have. I get bored with repetition and if I am playing a dull looking game I get bored even more quickly. You saved me $7.50 this week, thank you haha.

#913 Fergywan

Fergywan

Soaring with Angels

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:29 PM

Thank you for the input!

Judging by that description I think I will pass. It seems interesting enough but I have enough games in my backlog that have more 'life' than this game appears to have. I get bored with repetition and if I am playing a dull looking game I get bored even more quickly. You saved me $7.50 this week, thank you haha.

Your welcome, lol. To me, it's one of those games you would go through because you like the premise of what it's trying to do and not many of those games out there currently. Kind of like Turok or Fracture, they have an interesting element that most games don't have, but that isn't enough to make you want to keep playing, even though they all have multi-player too.

#914 Daykain

Daykain

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:41 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the original Section 8 (not prejudice)? It is $2.49 on Direct2Drive right now.

http://www.direct2dr...tion-8-Download

#915 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:48 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on the original Section 8 (not prejudice)? It is $2.49 on Direct2Drive right now.

Judging purely by the Xbox versions, I would say just spend the little extra and pick up Prejudice and not worry about the first one.

I could be a bit biased however, because the original was released as a full $60 game which I felt was far too overpriced for what it was.

#916 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:58 PM

Have you played Starscape? How would it compare to that?

I've only played the Starscape demo, and I like it and will probably buy it eventually if it's on sale, but it seems like a lot of WORK to me. SPAZ doesn't seem like work.

#917 Fergywan

Fergywan

Soaring with Angels

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:00 PM

I played through the original and there really wasn't much there, but for $2.49 I think it would be worth that, at least for what I got out of it. Don't expect to be finding anyone online, but you can still play with bots which I enjoyed. The campaign is really just multiplayer style matches. You're far better off getting Prejudice for what it has to offer. The first one I agree, was just way overpriced for what it had to offer.

#918 MSI Magus

MSI Magus

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:12 PM

tag

When the rest of the world is crazy it just does not pay to be sane! - Captain Lerner
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen

#919 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:23 PM

Prototype seems kind of interesting, but $10 for a game that came out in 2007 seems steep unless you're a particular fan of the genre. $3 and I'd buy it. :) Yes, I'm that cheap, but I way too many other games to play.

I'm just going to nitpick here, but Prototype came out in the Summer of 2009. Along with Red Faction: Guerrilla and Infamous. But I agree with the point you're making. It should have been discounted to at most $5 by now.

#920 ddog510

ddog510

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

I've played Prototype on the 360. Recommended buy price: $5 or under

At $10, it's a for sure pass
Posted Image

#921 radioactivez0r

radioactivez0r

Up and Atom!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:38 PM

Er, Prototype came out in 2009. I think $10 is a decent price,though I have it on Xbox already. It's a fun "run all over the place smashing stuff" kind of game.
Posted Image

#922 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

A heads up since I didn't see it specifically mentioned and it's easy to gloss over on the Steam page: The S8 four-packs come bundled with the DLC, while the single copies do not, making the four-packs an even better deal.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#923 Corpekata

Corpekata

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:00 PM

Prototype still having a base price of 30 dollars is hilarious given how so many better and newer games get cheaper. Besides, sequel coming soon, it'll drop.

#924 BREVITY

BREVITY

The Soul of Wit.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:02 PM

A heads up since I didn't see it specifically mentioned and it's easy to gloss over on the Steam page: The S8 four-packs come bundled with the DLC, while the single copies do not, making the four-packs an even better deal.

Thanks for the heads up. I would love to get in on a four pack.
3DS Friend Code:4382-1988-8437 QR Image http://yfrog.com/gzvezjyj
iOS GameCenter Name: BREVITY
Posted ImagePosted Image
Put your hand on a hot stove for a min. and it feels like an hour; play a cool game for an hour and it feels like a min. Brevity's def. of relativity.

#925 fishphoenix

fishphoenix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

So midweek madness and daily deals aside, Bastion just came out today and From Dust comes out tomorrow! Trying to decide which one to get....

#926 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

Woops, sorry--I get mine 7s and 9s confused (yes really), re: Prototype release date.

Bastion and From Dust both look really cool! I'll probably be waiting on sales for them both, though. I've spent a ton lately. Unless something is cheapo, I'm not buying anything until Skyrim! (We'll see about that.)

#927 krushnine

krushnine

snausages.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

SUPPOSEDLY all copies of SPAZ will activate on Steam, but it's not required. Right now there's a bit of a mess as some of the keys are in Steam's database but some aren't. Since I bought my copy about 5 days ago on Greenman Gaming, mine isn't. But people who bought earlier than me on GMG are.

The SPAZ guys posted a clarification. The Steam activation was meant to be a bonus for people who purchased the beta, so people will need to buy from Steam if they want the game on Steam.

It's not totally clear from the thread, but it sounds like they might be transferring keys to Steam for non-Steam purchases made yesterday, though.

SPAZ post:
http://www.spacepira....php?f=6&t=1649

#928 TraBuch

TraBuch

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:05 PM

That Bastion demo is fucking amazing.

#929 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:21 PM

Holy crap, yeah; I thought I was gonna hafta buy the DLC separately. Good eye!

Also, I'm blind because the original is on Steam. But that D2D price is much better...
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#930 VindictiveGnome

VindictiveGnome

Cleared to engage.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:37 PM

Ah come on. I bought a 4-pack and all the DLC. It all came to $19. Daaaang. Any chance I can contact support and get a refund for the extra $3.70 I spent?