Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V2 - Dig into those holiday games. V3 thread coming soon!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13860 replies to this topic

#961 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:48 PM

Well, I went ahead and bought Avadon: The Black Fortress and the two remaining GSB DLCs. I'm going to try Avadon out over my morning tea ("Umm, it's noon?" "SHHH") and will give some impressions for anyone who cares. :) It does have a smattering of really positive reviews and no negative ones really.

For those who know nothing of Avadon, it's sort of an old-school RPG developed by a company that has made hoards of old-school RPGs. It looks more accessible to me than their previous efforts.

#962 Genocidal

Genocidal

Summer of Punk

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

Just to confirm, Section 8 on steam still requires GFWL?

Correct.
x8uorcw.jpggenocidal.png
[img=http://steamsigs.com/steam.php?id=genocidal&pngimg=http://i.imgur.com/fLZMY.png&tborder=0.png

If I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be... Jesus

#963 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:25 PM

Anybody try out the mouse controls on Bastion? I think they work better than the keyboard but it takes a little bit to get used to.

#964 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:31 PM

Avadon impressions. Really cool. If you don't mind doing some reading, and you like RPGs, this is your game. It's sort of like a book combined with a game and reminds me of a more up-to-date, user-friendly version of Ultima (as in you're not actually reading a BOOK, because it's a lot more manageable amounts of text than that, but it's still very bookish). The game is kind and guides you into learning the ropes, and the difficulty level is highly customizable to please casuals, people who like an average challenge (me), and the hardcore (it's changeable in-game, too, happily).

I personally prefer to avoid reading on LCD, and when I see a wall o' text, I get sad, but this is all accompanied by pictures and dialog choices, and it's refreshing to see a game where people speak in more than 120 character sentences.

Combat is turn-based, which really pleases me, but it's fast and concise. I remember wanting Baldur's Gate to be more like this back in the day.

If you have any inkling at all towards this type of game, I highly recommend grabbing it today, for $1 off, and supporting this type of game (and this developer) on Steam. Really, really glad I picked this up. Modern developers of big, whizz-bang RPGs could stand to learn just as much from this as they've learned from WoW and Diablo. I'd love to see games take a direction more like this. I feel really drawn in to the fiction of the world and part of the story. It is NOT a fast-paced game, but it's one that will encapsulate you if you give it the chance to.

There are only a few little things I miss, like being able to see equipment on my character when I put it on them (spoiled by Torchlight and such).

Now, if you'll excuse me, back to the game!

EDIT: Just realized there's a demo on the developers' site (why is the demo not on Steam?). http://spiderwebsoft...adon/index.html

Edited by Jesse_Dylan, 17 August 2011 - 08:02 PM.

#965 krushnine

krushnine

snausages.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

Avadon impressions.

Thanks for the post. :)

Wow, I didn't know these guys (might be just one guy?) were still around. I remember playing their old Exile games, which were similar to the old style Ultima games and were a lot of fun. I will try to pick this up sometime.

#966 TctclMvPhase

TctclMvPhase

Dismal Scientist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:34 PM

Avadon impressions. Really cool. If you don't mind doing some reading, and you like RPGs, this is your game. It's sort of like a book combined with a game and reminds me of a more up-to-date, user-friendly version of Ultima (as in you're not actually reading a BOOK, because it's a lot more manageable amounts of text than that, but it's still very bookish). The game is kind and guides you into learning the ropes, and the difficulty level is highly customizable to please casuals, people who like an average challenge (me), and the hardcore (it's changeable in-game, too, happily).

I personally prefer to avoid reading on LCD, and when I see a wall o' text, I get sad, but this is all accompanied by pictures and dialog choices, and it's refreshing to see a game where people speak in more than 120 character sentences.

Combat is turn-based, which really pleases me, but it's fast and concise. I remember wanting Baldur's Gate to be more like this back in the day.

If you have any inkling at all towards this type of game, I highly recommend grabbing it today, for $1 off, and supporting this type of game (and this developer) on Steam. Really, really glad I picked this up. Modern developers of big, whizz-bang RPGs could stand to learn just as much from this as they've learned from WoW and Diablo. I'd love to see games take a direction more like this. I feel really drawn in to the fiction of the world and part of the story. It is NOT a fast-paced game, but it's one that will encapsulate you if you give it the chance to.

There are only a few little things I miss, like being able to see equipment on my character when I put it on them (spoiled by Torchlight and such).

Does it play like a pen and paper? I have been dying to find a pen and paper like game on the PC cause my IRL P&P has gotten flaky.

Also, if you really want to support the dev, they have it on their websites store for $20.

#967 Draekon

Draekon

Kung-Fu Panda

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:36 PM

And their games are usually $20+ through their website. Seeing it for $10 on Steam was a big surprise. Though I think they said their next game that's releasing will be closer to $25.

#968 z3razerviper

z3razerviper

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

I'd like one. Bottlenecked on steam. i'll accept your invite when i get home from work.

z3razerviper on steam

#969 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

I think it does feel a lot like a pen and paper game, though I also thought Baldur's Gate did (minus the combat that I always despised).

I think they want their next game to be on Steam as well, and to be low-priced. Theres a blog post discussing the price. Some fans were upset at how low the price was on Steam.

Also, there's a demo! Why is the demo not on Steam?

http://spiderwebsoft...adon/index.html

#970 Tigershard

Tigershard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

I think it does feel a lot like a pen and paper game, though I also thought Baldur's Gate did (minus the combat that I always despised).

I think they want their next game to be on Steam as well, and to be low-priced. Theres a blog post discussing the price. Some fans were upset at how low the price was on Steam.

Also, there's a demo! Why is the demo not on Steam?

http://spiderwebsoft...adon/index.html

If you have an iPad, the game is available in the App Store for $10.

#971 6er

6er

XBOX, GO HOME

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:47 PM

If I loved the Star Trek Armada games, will I like GSB? the lack of resource collecting intrigues me, as after UI beat the game I would replay just using with the unlimited funds cheats code and build a few hundred ships and just annihilate everything
PS3, 360, Wii, DS,3DS, Vita
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#972 justme99z

justme99z

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 09:22 PM

Just an FYI, Skyrim will use Steamworks, so buy it wherever it is cheapest cause it will still activate on steam!

#973 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:35 PM

Just an FYI, Skyrim will use Steamworks, so buy it wherever it is cheapest cause it will still activate on steam!

Source please?

#974 dfg

dfg

Impecunious Ass Gamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

Source please?

http://www.pcgamer.c...ows-live-on-pc/
¡Viva los CAGs!
Posted Image

#975 dreadful

dreadful

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:47 PM

Source please?

Searched Skyrim Steamworks here you go http://www.shacknews...teamworks-on-pc
also

#976 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:19 PM

Great news! I was expecting Skyrim to be Steamworks, but it's great to know for sure.

What bugs me is that Steam isn't doing a discount or a special deal or anything. Would've switched to the Newegg version, but I'm hoping Amazon's release-day shipping will actually get it to be before it unlocks on Steam (assuming it unlocks at noon on 11/11/11, guess we don't know). To be honest, I don't care about having a box copy or a cloth map. I'm just annoyed on principle that it's $59.99 on Steam and all we get is a TF2 hat.

#977 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:25 PM

Man, it sure seems like Avadon wants you to know it's indie. Surprised they didn't bold it.
Posted Image

It was a smooth ride.

#978 cheapo72

cheapo72

Run, you pigeons!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

There's a Warhammer Complete Pack coming for a weekend deal tomorrow (as the demo for Space Marine will be available that day to those who've pre-ordered).
It will include DOW I, II, both games' expansions, Retribution + its wargear, Space Marine, and the pre-order bonus of Darksiders.

I wish I hadn't already registered my copy of Soulstorm (or bought Darksiders, for that matter - though at least that will be giftable).

#979 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

i'm just annoyed on principle that it's $59.99 on steam and all we get is a tf2 hat.

+1

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#980 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:41 PM

Nice, thanks for the confirmation on the Skyrim stuff, I am so excited for that.

#981 Drizzt

Drizzt

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:49 PM

Be a team player and nobody will care what your k/d is. Drop health packs, ammo packs, motion mines. Repair stuff. Just don't revive people while you're getting shot at :D

Sure wish that had been the mentality of the players on the server I was on the day I quit the game. I don't have the patience for anal k/d ratio players in these games as if that's all that counts. Never playing another Battlefield or Call of Duty game again as long as those statistics are around.

#982 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:06 AM

There's a Warhammer Complete Pack coming for a weekend deal tomorrow (as the demo for Space Marine will be available that day to those who've pre-ordered).
It will include DOW I, II, both games' expansions, Retribution + its wargear, Space Marine, and the pre-order bonus of Darksiders.

I wish I hadn't already registered my copy of Soulstorm (or bought Darksiders, for that matter - though at least that will be giftable).

Will the DOW games still be discounted by themselves...? I do not think I will be getting Space Marine right away.

#983 paz9x

paz9x

Posted 18 August 2011 - 12:07 AM

Sure wish that had been the mentality of the players on the server I was on the day I quit the game. I don't have the patience for anal k/d ratio players in these games as if that's all that counts. Never playing another Battlefield or Call of Duty game again as long as those statistics are around.

find another server. the gaming experience varies wildly from server to server on those games.
"I am the Walrus" "Shut the Fuck up Donnie"

Posted Image

#984 houdinilogic

houdinilogic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:29 AM

find another server. the gaming experience varies wildly from server to server on those games.

this. i play medic almost exclusively in bfbc2 and my k/d is usually something like 0.2, but spotting, healing and reviving usually put me in the upper half of the scoreboard :)
Posted Image

#985 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:40 AM

Great news! I was expecting Skyrim to be Steamworks, but it's great to know for sure.

What bugs me is that Steam isn't doing a discount or a special deal or anything. Would've switched to the Newegg version, but I'm hoping Amazon's release-day shipping will actually get it to be before it unlocks on Steam (assuming it unlocks at noon on 11/11/11, guess we don't know). To be honest, I don't care about having a box copy or a cloth map. I'm just annoyed on principle that it's $59.99 on Steam and all we get is a TF2 hat.

They are not obligated to even give you a hat, its a new game after all. You can hope for a discount but never expect it.

#986 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 01:56 AM

Will the DOW games still be discounted by themselves...? I do not think I will be getting Space Marine right away.

I am pretty sure each DOW game will be discounted separately because they always have been in situations like these although you might not get as much off as the full pack.

Not interested in Space Marine because I hate Gears of War and this looks like Warhammer 40k of War. Now the Dawn of War series is awesome. I just wish I didn't buy Retribution 2 weeks ago for $30 now (but it was to play with friends so it works out) :lol:
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#987 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:44 AM

Man, it sure seems like Avadon wants you to know it's indie. Surprised they didn't bold it.

Spiderweb has been indie since before indie was cool. Jeff Vogel has been making those ancient RPGs since forever. I mentioned in the Steam thread during the summer sale. I'm happy to see him officially on Steam, now. And what a price! His games are usually like $25.

#988 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:16 AM

They are not obligated to even give you a hat, its a new game after all. You can hope for a discount but never expect it.

Well that's debateable, in my opinion. :) We're not getting the cloth map, nor is there a box/DVD/manual to produce and ship. I could (and probably will) buy it at Amazon for retail price, and I bet Amazon will discount at least a little. I could have bought it from Newegg for $49.99.

Not obligated, no, but, in my opinion, it would be logical for Steam to do something to incite purchase. I pretty much never buy brand new games. If Steam wants more people to buy new stuff, they need to entice us. This is CAG, after all, and my primary purchases (99%) are deals of the day, weekend deals, mid-week deals, or holiday/summer deals.

In the case of Skyrim, they certainly don't have us over a barrel since it's Steamworks. We have lots of choices, and they should want us to choose buying it directly from Steam.

Just my consumer opinion, though, admitting fully that I know nothing about capitalism and live in my own little world.

#989 gcorlett

gcorlett

For reals.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

Well that's debateable, in my opinion. :) We're not getting the cloth map, nor is there a box/DVD/manual to produce and ship. I could (and probably will) buy it at Amazon for retail price, and I bet Amazon will discount at least a little. I could have bought it from Newegg for $49.99.

Not obligated, no, but, in my opinion, it would be logical for Steam to do something to incite purchase. I pretty much never buy brand new games. If Steam wants more people to buy new stuff, they need to entice us. This is CAG, after all, and my primary purchases (99%) are deals of the day, weekend deals, mid-week deals, or holiday/summer deals.

In the case of Skyrim, they certainly don't have us over a barrel since it's Steamworks. We have lots of choices, and they should want us to choose buying it directly from Steam.

Just my consumer opinion, though, admitting fully that I know nothing about capitalism and live in my own little world.

Give it time. I expect we'll see preorder pricing when it gets closer to release date.

Maybe not, though. Steam has never been very competitive for triple-A titles. They seem to get by on convenience.

#990 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:31 AM

They seem to get by on convenience.

This.

They do not need to add any incentive because this is enough for many people.