Photo
- - - - -

The Steam Deal Thread V2 - Dig into those holiday games. V3 thread coming soon!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13860 replies to this topic

#991 sotc1988

sotc1988

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:36 AM

I bought dawn of war 2 last christmas and finally got around to beating it this summer and I give it a HUGE recommendation. The campaign is really different from starcraft or from typical RTS games and it works surprisingly really well.

#992 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:44 AM

Give it time. I expect we'll see preorder pricing when it gets closer to release date.

Maybe not, though. Steam has never been very competitive for triple-A titles. They seem to get by on convenience.

It's pretty funny really, because they get the cheap people like me due to their constant and awesome sales, and then they get the full-price folk too due to convenience and I suppose impulse-buying. Normally I'm totally fine with waiting, but I'd probably pay $99.99 for Skyrim if that was what it retailed for, even if I knew it would be $20 a month later. Can't really say that about any other game. OBSESSION.

#993 mrsilkunderwear

mrsilkunderwear

Just Do It.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:48 AM

Well that's debateable, in my opinion. :) We're not getting the cloth map, nor is there a box/DVD/manual to produce and ship. I could (and probably will) buy it at Amazon for retail price, and I bet Amazon will discount at least a little. I could have bought it from Newegg for $49.99.

Not obligated, no, but, in my opinion, it would be logical for Steam to do something to incite purchase. I pretty much never buy brand new games. If Steam wants more people to buy new stuff, they need to entice us. This is CAG, after all, and my primary purchases (99%) are deals of the day, weekend deals, mid-week deals, or holiday/summer deals.

In the case of Skyrim, they certainly don't have us over a barrel since it's Steamworks. We have lots of choices, and they should want us to choose buying it directly from Steam.

Just my consumer opinion, though, admitting fully that I know nothing about capitalism and live in my own little world.

I can see where your coming from and I would agree, in order to have more people buy games there has to be incentives. But Steam is dominating the digital market and we do not know how their system works when it comes to commissions. They might not care in this case because Skyrim is steamworks so therefore they are making shit ton of money already. Also remember that the publisher are the ones who ultimately decide on the pricing. If steam discounts a brand new game, I assume they would have to take it out of their commission.

#994 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:51 AM

If I loved the Star Trek Armada games, will I like GSB? the lack of resource collecting intrigues me, as after UI beat the game I would replay just using with the unlimited funds cheats code and build a few hundred ships and just annihilate everything

I don't think anyone answered this. I didn't feel qualified, but I'm the best you've got! :) One thing to keep in mind (although you surely know this already) is that you don't actually control the battles at all. You make preparations and let the captains do the actual commanding and such. I think that in Armada, surely you had direct control? That's one thing I like so much about GSB though is that you don't have to control stuff. I hate micromanaging and clicking fast and diddling around. So if you like that, then you will probably be annoyed by GSB, but if you can let go of controlling the actual battles, I think you'll enjoy it! Didn't play Star Trek Armada though (although now I'm wondering about it, as I loved the Star Trek shows in the 90s).

#995 Severose

Severose

I'm okie dokie and loopy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:02 AM

Normally I'm totally fine with waiting, but I'd probably pay $99.99 for Skyrim if that was what it retailed for, even if I knew it would be $20 a month later. Can't really say that about any other game. OBSESSION.

Fuck man... Now it's gonna go up to $99.99 tomorrow... Fuck my life... I really wanted to buy it too... Thanks for telling the Steam spies... :bomb:

CAG: a place to buy/sell/trade games the right way.

GMG ref link: $2 when you spend $2, instantly!

SwagBucks
: Take surveys, click shit to get points to buy gift cards. Get a $5 Amazon GC on a slow month.

http://www.gamersgat.../ggtagi/3687091 Posted Image

#996 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:27 AM

Fuck man... Now it's gonna go up to $99.99 tomorrow... Fuck my life... I really wanted to buy it too... Thanks for telling the Steam spies... :bomb:

Todd Howard: "I think we should charge $50 a month for Skyrim! Every other game on the market should have a one-time fee of $4.50 but not Skyrim."

Steam: "And the real bargain can be a one-time-payment to play the game for life for only $4000!"

Todd Howard: "Great! Yes, this partnership will do really well I think!"

Gabe Newell: "I'm afraid if I exercise I'll die and the Steam servers will have to be on permanent off-line mode."

Todd Howard: "I don't exercise either, but I also don't eat. Or drink. Did I pee yet this month?"

Skyrim beta tester: "FMLLLLLLLLL"

Skyrim Nord from Previews: "DRAGON SHOUT!"

Gabe Newell: "Is that a new restaurant? I'll have the Dragon Shout Burrito."

Dave Thomas, Founder of Wendy's: "You traitor!"

Todd Howard: "Are they related?"

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by Jesse_Dylan, 18 August 2011 - 07:14 AM.

#997 kross036

kross036

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:05 AM

If anyone is interested in a group buy for Section 8 send me a PM.

#998 Jodou

Jodou

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

Just an FYI, Skyrim will use Steamworks, so buy it wherever it is cheapest cause it will still activate on steam!

So fucking sick of this shit. What's the point of buying retail if I'm forced to use Steam anyway? I miss the old days when you actually owned games and there was no DRM. Worst part is nobody seems to care, so they can just get away with it. Do I seriously need to go back to piracy to send a message?

#999 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

So fucking sick of this shit. What's the point of buying retail if I'm forced to use Steam anyway? I miss the old days when you actually owned games and there was no DRM. Worst part is nobody seems to care, so they can just get away with it. Do I seriously need to go back to piracy to send a message?

I am kinda happy when a game uses Steamworks. Yes it's DRM but if I were to buy the game without Steamworks I would first need to do some things so I don't need the CD because having the CD in every time I need to play a game is fucking annoying, and then have to see when a game does get patched and manually keep track of every game I have installed.

It saves me from a hassle.
Posted Image
"Mega Man 9 isn't hard, you're just not paying attention." -KingBroly

#1000 Jesse_Dylan

Jesse_Dylan

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:13 PM

Roboblitz? I thought it was gonna be Warhammer? Hm. And it must show how cheap I am that I think a $4.99 seems expensive.

___

A question. How do I delete stuff from my Steam Cloud? I don't want to keep all those Oblivion saved games. I had to turn off Steam Cloud for the game because it would restore them every time I deleted them (I don't need a gigabyte of saves on my HDD).

#1001 moojuice

moojuice

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:33 PM

Roboblitz? I thought it was gonna be Warhammer? Hm. And it must show how cheap I am that I think a $4.99 seems expensive.

___

A question. How do I delete stuff from my Steam Cloud? I don't want to keep all those Oblivion saved games. I had to turn off Steam Cloud for the game because it would restore them every time I deleted them (I don't need a gigabyte of saves on my HDD).

I don't think you can delete it from the cloud, but you can disable synchronization by right clicking the game, properties, updates, then disable.

#1002 PenguinJim

PenguinJim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:50 PM

Roboblitz? I thought it was gonna be Warhammer?

Weekend deals are separate from Daily Deals.

#1003 fishphoenix

fishphoenix

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 05:54 PM

___

Roboblitz is DotD. Warhammer supposed to be Deal of the Weekend.

#1004 Coraanu

Coraanu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

The Warhammer deals appear to be live. http://twitter.com/#!/steamydeals
Mike

#1005 IronSerif

IronSerif

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:36 PM

ahh i've been waiting for a deal to come back on Dawn of War II: Retribution. I think it's time to pull the trigger!

#1006 TestType

TestType

model fetishist

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

Grr... was really hoping to get Chaos Rising for sub $10. I have too many unplayed games to get it now at $10.
Posted Image

#1007 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:10 PM

Aww, sad that the Retribution DLC is not individually on sale. =( Was hoping to get the Ulthwe pack for cheap. Good pricing otherwise on the actual games themselves though!

(Baw, also sad that The Last Standalone is also not discounted)

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#1008 IronSerif

IronSerif

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:11 PM

Grr... was really hoping to get Chaos Rising for sub $10. I have too many unplayed games to get it now at $10.

Agreed...and now I just saw Hoard for $5 and I'm tempted to pick that up as well!

#1009 bigloser

bigloser

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:49 PM

The Warhammer Complete pack is a pretty crazy deal. Comes with all the Relic Warhammer games, plus DLC, plus the Space Marine preorder for $61.

http://store.steampo....com/sub/11181/

:edit: I looked at it wrong, it's 61 in savings, $99 for the pack.

I'm an idiot, lol.

#1010 DukeEdwardI

DukeEdwardI

Whose Queens?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

The Warhammer Complete pack is a pretty crazy deal. Comes with all the Relic Warhammer games, plus DLC, plus the Space Marine preorder for $61.

http://store.steampo....com/sub/11181/

That's only how much you save. The price of the pack is actually $100.

#1011 bigloser

bigloser

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:53 PM

That's only how much you save. The price of the pack is actually $100.

Yeah, I just noticed. :(

#1012 TheSingingBard

TheSingingBard

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

Ugh, too many good deals. Picked up DOW2: Gold. After buying Witcher 2 off GOG.com, I need to stop spending.

#1013 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

Ugh, too many good deals. Picked up DOW2: Gold. After buying Witcher 2 off GOG.com, I need to stop spending.

In your defense you bought two of the best PC games to come out within the past two years.

Hell of a deal for DOW II and if you like RTS games I can't recommend DOW II enough.
Posted Image

#1014 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:11 PM

Isn't it cheaper to just buy the digital download of the Gold pack on Amazon then activate the key on Steam...?

#1015 Sir_Fragalot

Sir_Fragalot

wants Startropics 3.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:24 PM

Isn't it cheaper to just buy the digital download of the Gold pack on Amazon then activate the key on Steam...?

Actually yes it is, I just checked Amazon. Granted you don't get retribution, it's still $7 cheaper than Steam for DoW II and Chaos Rising.
Posted Image

#1016 mewantgames

mewantgames

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:07 PM

You guys think the complete pack is worth it if you don't own any of the games?

#1017 BrolyB593

BrolyB593

I'm Cheap!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:13 PM

Actually yes it is, I just checked Amazon. Granted you don't get retribution, it's still $7 cheaper than Steam for DoW II and Chaos Rising.

Having never played the Warhammer titles, do you think I should just pick that up now and then get Retribution later when it is on sale again? I feel like getting the GoldPack on Amazon and then Retribution would be a bit much, I doubt I would play it all.

#1018 EdgeZephyr

EdgeZephyr

Gear Messiah

• CAGiversary!

Posted 18 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Having never played the Warhammer titles, do you think I should just pick that up now and then get Retribution later when it is on sale again? I feel like getting the GoldPack on Amazon and then Retribution would be a bit much, I doubt I would play it all.

It really depends on how much of the story you're going to be interested in picking up. From what I understand, Dawn of War 2 has a subplot going on between the games. Jumping straight into Retribution spoiled a few bigger events from the first two Dawn of War 2 titles. So if you do want to see where the story begins / goes, start with Gold and then pick up Retribution down the road during another Steam sale. (It already had a good showing price wise during the Summer sale, it'll only get cheaper!)

For raw gameplay content though, you'd be better off with Retribution. You get to play through the campaign with any of the available races, as well as more multiplayer races to play as.

One part I'm curious about. Does playing The Last Stand through Retribution give you any more content than playing it in DoW2 + Chaos Rising?

Personally, I will probably jump at the sound of skeleton hooves and distant screaming for the rest of my life.

I think my wallet made a shrieking sound and scurried off into a dark corner, once I pulled up the Steam page.

Posted Image

#1019 crazy913

crazy913

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:00 AM

picked up the gold edition from amazon. another awesome game to add to the backlog!

#1020 TurboNerd

TurboNerd

I'm looking for co-op buddies! PM me!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:35 AM

I'm on the Steam page looking at the Warhammer sale and I'm a little confused. There is a list of like 20 titles, some being DLC. Do I have to buy the whole 61.29 thing to get the deal on DOW 2? How do I get DOW 2 and the DLC itself? confused.

fs_pc.png fs_xbox.png
I'm looking for co-op buddies on XBOX Live and Steam! PM me!