Recommend Me a PSone Classic

Curleh Mustache

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Hi, I have $15 in Amazon Credit and was wondering which PSone Classic is better on the PSP:
R4 Ridge Racer
Pocket Fighter
Parasite Eve
Dino Crisis 2
Destrega
Crash Bandicoot 3
Toy Story 2
Twisted Metal 2
Wild Arms
2Xtreme
Threads of Fate
Harvest Moon Back to Nature

Also, feel free to recommend any other PSone Classics.

You've got an issue there. Pocket Fighter will NOT work on PSP. From the list you provided I'd say Wild Arms. I haven't played Parasite Eve but I bought it and will be playing it on PSP soon.

Wild Arms, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden, Megaman 1-3 (Japanese PS1 title), Suikoden, Dino Crisis & Xenogears are my recommendations.

If you like RPGs:
1. Xenogears
2. Grandia
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Suikoden
5. Wild Arms
6. Parasite Eve

These are all fantastic but depending when you started gaming, they might fell dated as these were released a decade (or earlier) ago. I personally think they've held up well over the years, especially Xenogears.

I'd like to get Threads of Fate, only cause I never played it. Wild Arms is good, but the 3D battle graphics have aged horribly. Whatever you do don't get Destrega. It's like playing a gloried game of paper/rock/scissors/

Instead of 2xtreme you should definitely check out Thrasher- skate and destroy. It was the best skateboarding game out there, waaay better than thps imho, made by rockstar and had one of the best ragdoll physics for the time.

[quote name='giantqtipz']3 words baby

jedi power battles[/QUOTE]

:) I actually liked that game when it came out.

But, I'd select Grandia

[quote name='asaraa']:) I actually liked that game when it came out.

But, I'd select Grandia[/QUOTE]

my first console ever was the ps2. and jedi power battles was the first game i bought for it after playing it on my friends house.

played that thing over and over again. never gets boring.

they need that game on the PS VITA in the future.. woo a fun ass game to have on a handheld baby

If you enjoy racing games at all you need to get Rally Cross. That game still holds up pretty well today. It is probably in my top 2 of all time favorite racing games with Super Mario Kart.:whee:

[quote name='AgentLoFi']Instead of 2xtreme you should definitely check out Thrasher- skate and destroy. It was the best skateboarding game out there, waaay better than thps imho, made by rockstar and had one of the best ragdoll physics for the time.[/QUOTE]

I remember that game being on one of the demo discs for the PS. LOVED that game. But...don't think it's on the PS1 Classics.

As for that list, Parasite Eve, Harvest Moon, or Twisted Metal 2.

I just beat the original Grandia, what a phenomenal game. Even better than the 2nd one.

If you could only play one Game Arts game, it should be Grandia.

[quote name='lutz']Grandia is great and all, but if you could only play one Game Arts game, shouldn't it be Lunar?[/QUOTE]
No, Lunar's great but Grandia's their masterpiece. And you'd really need to play both Lunars.

I don't own any PSOne Classic games, but I've played the original versions of all of the games you've mentioned. My pick out of your list is Parasite Eve. It's a great real-time action-horror RPG with references to Resident Evil, Godzilla, and Clock Tower. You play as Aya Brea, a NYPD detective who visits the opera one night and gets sucked into a web of confusion as she watches everyone around her suddenly burst into flames. Over the course of the next few days, you're tasked with uncovering the truth and stopping the next evolution in genetics. There's an active combat system which requires careful consideration as you customize your equipment. Although there are some obscure rewards in the game, and the EXP is badly spaced between levels, the combat and story make it an overall enjoyable experience, in my opinion. The ending is also pretty great, what with its ambiguity over what really happens just before the credits roll.

Parasite Eve 2, on the other hand, is pretty shitty. The character models are chunky, and the plot isn't as great. It also has that awful turn-then-walk control scheme of Resident Evil and Onimusha, which makes the active battles where you have to run around and avoid being hit, or finding the ideal place to shoot from, a real pain in the ass.

[quote name='dafoomie']No, Lunar's great but Grandia's their masterpiece. And you'd really need to play both Lunars.[/QUOTE]

I gotta agree here. The Lunars are both magnificent and definitely should be played by any RPG fan but they're fairly basic in terms of gameplay and story.

It's kinda sad that Game Arts can't re-create that same magic though. After Grandia they... well, they haven't really done anything worthwhile (outside of Lunar ports).:whistle2:/

[quote name='themaster20000']Try out Xenogears if you never played it.[/QUOTE]

I second that. Xenogears is my all-time favorite RPG. I haven't gone back to play it in awhile, but I remember it had some very difficult moments. Its almost like I'm afraid to go back and try is as I would tarnish my memories.

I'd also go with Parasite Eve 1 and 2. I bought Grandia years ago and the voice acting killed it for me. Of course this was after playing Final Fantasy 7-8, Xenogears, and Star Ocean on PS1.

[quote name='Cloyd']I'd also go with Parasite Eve 1 and 2. I bought Grandia years ago and the voice acting killed it for me. Of course this was after playing Final Fantasy 7-8, Xenogears, and Star Ocean on PS1.[/QUOTE]

Grandia's voice acting killed it for you, after playing Star Ocean 2? Seriously?

[quote name='Vinny']I gotta agree here. The Lunars are both magnificent and definitely should be played by any RPG fan but they're fairly basic in terms of gameplay and story.

It's kinda sad that Game Arts can't re-create that same magic though. After Grandia they... well, they haven't really done anything worthwhile (outside of Lunar ports).:whistle2:/[/QUOTE]
Grandia II was a leap forward technologically and the story/setting/characters were good, but not as memorable as the first. Xtreme and III continued that progression. The guy who was in charge of Grandia and Lunar left in 2000 and died this month, so that kind of explains what happened there.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Grandia's voice acting killed it for you, after playing Star Ocean 2? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

There's barely any voice acting in Grandia, its 95% text only. The scenes with voice acting are very infrequent and really aren't that bad after the beginning of the game. As if bad voice acting wasn't a staple of the mid to late 90s anyway.

[quote name='dafoomie']There's barely any voice acting in Grandia, its 95% text only. The scenes with voice acting are very infrequent and really aren't that bad after the beginning of the game. As if bad voice acting wasn't a staple of the mid to late 90s anyway.[/QUOTE]

I know, I was pointing out how ridiculous it is to say that the voice acting killed it, when he had played Star Ocean 2, a game with much, much more annoying voice acting.

Don't need to sell me on how awesome Grandia is, I love that game.

I was agreeing with you.

Its too bad that having an interesting story, characters, setting, and even artistic style and gameplay aren't priorities anymore with a few exceptions. Even Mass Effect is going for the lowest common denominator. I spend more time now playing games from the 32 bit era and earlier than today's.

[quote name='JasonTerminator']Grandia's voice acting killed it for you, after playing Star Ocean 2? Seriously?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I kept playing it. I just played music while the game was on. Pretty sure I did the same for most of my PS1 games, but its been awhile. I just remember a few scenes in particular that stand out in Grandia that made me recoil. I remember it being like the voice acting in Lunar.

[quote name='dafoomie']Grandia II was a leap forward technologically and the story/setting/characters were good, but not as memorable as the first. Xtreme and III continued that progression. The guy who was in charge of Grandia and Lunar left in 2000 and died this month, so that kind of explains what happened there.
[/QUOTE]

I agree that Grandia progressed in terms of gameplay but everything else was kinda 'meh'. I didn't know the main guy in charge left though. Sucks to hear that he's gone now...

Seriously, all the main characters in the Grandia series weren't great. As much as I want to be 14 year old Justin, or generic apathetic hero Ryudo, or head in the sky Yuki, they are the only reason why I would prefer a Lunar game. Believe me, I love the series, but sometimes I feel like the series was only made because GameArts had a little tiff with Studio Alex.

Lunar may seem a little basic and dated now, but for its time, it was something special. I think it sold almost 1:1 ratio with the actual SegaCD in Japan. Grandia on the other hand, was just another RPG with a really awesome battle system. If it came out back when Wild Arms was floating around, I think it would have been something special too.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='d3adliner']Parasite Eve hands down. And one that I never see mentioned... Koudelka.[/QUOTE]

People aren't mentioning it because it's not a PSOne Classic.

A bit off topic but I actually returned Star Ocean 2 back in the day because the voice acting/little emoticons above the characters heads drove me insane. I was so hyped for the game and so angry once I actually played it.

I'll happily vote for Grandia though. It still holds up pretty well and the all-3d environments were very ambitious for the time. It should've been the Saturn's FF7 but alas, we never got a translation until the PSX port.

Man psone has a ton of great RPGs. Give some more details on what you are looking for.

Judging by your list I say you should pick up Crash 3. It's an awesome game that holds up really well, with time trial challenges to frustrate you after you finish it. Crash 2 is good too. It has less variety than 3, but if you're a platforming fan (like me) then you'll appreciate the straight-forward nature of the game.

Resident Evil 2 and 3 are great. Resident Evil 2 has the extra scenario to make up for its short length. RE 3 has some fun challenges and weapon customization.

Chrono Cross has aged fairly well, though the battle system is a bit clunky. It's moderately open-ended compared to the Final Fantasy series.

I've never played through Parasite Eve but I believe it has a really long post-game tower which adds to its re-playability.

I haven't checked recently to see which PS1 games they're selling on PSN. But here are some of my regular picks for PS1 games...

Suikoden

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy Tactics

Silent Hill

Xenogears

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

I'm pretty certain that Suikoden 2 is not on PSN yet. It is supposedly the gold standard as far as PS1 RPGs are concerned. If they ever get around to releasing it on PSN, it's probably the game you want.

I haven't checked recently to see which PS1 games they're selling on PSN. But here are some of my regular picks for PS1 games...

Suikoden

Final Fantasy VII, VIII, and IX

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Final Fantasy Tactics

Silent Hill

Xenogears

Chrono Cross

Vagrant Story

I'm pretty certain that Suikoden 2 is not on PSN yet. It is supposedly the gold standard as far as PS1 RPGs are concerned. If they ever get around to releasing it on PSN, it's probably the game you want.
Great list. Can't go wrong with any of them.

I'm going to throw in a negative vote for Xenogears and Final Fantasy Tactics. These games do not hold up in my opinion.

Xenogears is one of the slowest RPGs around. It has terrible platforming and a really confusing plot. It has some cool characters and the mechs are awesome, but it's just not worth it IMO.

Final Fantasy Tactics is long-winded in every way possible. The battles are SLOW. The dialogue is ornate (which I like), but consequently the story was hard to follow.

Music in both of these games is amazing though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final Fantasy Tactics is long-winded in every way possible. The battles are SLOW. The dialogue is ornate (which I like), but consequently the story was hard to follow.
Well, if you were going to play Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSP, you shouldn't get the PSone classics version. The re-made War of the Lions for the PSP should be available on PSN, and is a superior version/translation of the game. It is also available on UMD and can be had quite cheaply at most used games stores. (in the $10 or less range) The battles are going to be slow one way or the other, but that's the nature of strategy RPGs. The combat in those games always tends to have a slower, more deliberate pace. It comes down to personal preference whether you like that style of play or not.

The big problem for me with all the RPGs for the PSone is that they eat up so much time. Any one of these games can take upwards of 30 hours to critical path, and around 50 hours if you explore the side missions and optional content. (which I am always tempted to do) I managed to pick up a copy of Suikoden 2 a few months back for $120. But I haven't played it yet because time is hard to come by these days.

Some people think gaming is too expensive these days. For me, the problem is that it's too cheap.

There are actually several high-profile PS1 games that got re-makes or re-released on the PSP. PaRappa the Rapper got a solid PSP port. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was included as an un-lockable extra in Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles. (definitely get Dracula X Chronicles) Even Tactics Ogre got a re-translated release on the PSP.

Has Einhander been released on PSN yet? That was a pretty solid PS1 shmup. (a genre the platform wasn't particularly known for)

bread's done
Back