Recommend Me a PSone Classic

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Curleh Mustache

Curleh Mustache

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Hi, I have $15 in Amazon Credit and was wondering which PSone Classic is better on the PSP:
R4 Ridge Racer
Pocket Fighter
Parasite Eve
Dino Crisis 2
Destrega
Crash Bandicoot 3
Toy Story 2
Twisted Metal 2
Wild Arms
2Xtreme
Threads of Fate
Harvest Moon Back to Nature

Also, feel free to recommend any other PSone Classics.

#2 Hoakun

Hoakun

Gettin' back to basics.

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:12 PM

Parasite Eve or Harvest Moon.
I highly recommend Suikoden as well.

#3 VANDALHEART

VANDALHEART

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

You've got an issue there. Pocket Fighter will NOT work on PSP. From the list you provided I'd say Wild Arms. I haven't played Parasite Eve but I bought it and will be playing it on PSP soon.

#4 themaster20000

themaster20000

You sleeping yet?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:31 PM

Try out Xenogears if you never played it.

#5 gr8asianman

gr8asianman

◕‿‿◕

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:43 PM

Wild Arms, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VII, Suikoden, Megaman 1-3 (Japanese PS1 title), Suikoden, Dino Crisis & Xenogears are my recommendations.

fs_overall.png

sig.gif

#6 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 23 July 2011 - 09:22 PM

If you like RPGs:
1. Xenogears
2. Grandia
3. Final Fantasy VII
4. Suikoden
5. Wild Arms
6. Parasite Eve

These are all fantastic but depending when you started gaming, they might fell dated as these were released a decade (or earlier) ago. I personally think they've held up well over the years, especially Xenogears.

Currently playing: 

:wiiu: Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - :D

:vita: Valhalla Knights 3 - :-|

:ps3: Zone of the Enders 2nd Runner HD - :)

fyreboltx.png
║My Tradelists: Games, Guides & Game Related GoodiesWantlist

#7 Rodimus

Rodimus

I'm Different

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:19 AM

I'd like to get Threads of Fate, only cause I never played it. Wild Arms is good, but the 3D battle graphics have aged horribly. Whatever you do don't get Destrega. It's like playing a gloried game of paper/rock/scissors/

#8 AgentLoFi

AgentLoFi

Posted 26 July 2011 - 12:57 PM

Instead of 2xtreme you should definitely check out Thrasher- skate and destroy. It was the best skateboarding game out there, waaay better than thps imho, made by rockstar and had one of the best ragdoll physics for the time.
"SURF NAZIS MUST DIE!!"

#9 Hell Monkey

Hell Monkey

Social Link MAX!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 26 July 2011 - 01:16 PM

Xenogears or Suikoden!

#10 HansKaosu

HansKaosu

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

Suikoden 1 and 2
Hogs of War

#11 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

3 words baby

jedi power battles

#12 asaraa

asaraa

Shepard-Commander

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:10 PM

3 words baby

jedi power battles

:) I actually liked that game when it came out.

But, I'd select Grandia

#13 Supreme0ne

Supreme0ne

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:41 PM

no love for crash 3 here? it's probably the best bandicoot game out there. tons of varied levels with all kinds of replayability
-Insert witty or meaningful quote here.-

#14 giantqtipz

giantqtipz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 08:04 PM

:) I actually liked that game when it came out.

But, I'd select Grandia

my first console ever was the ps2. and jedi power battles was the first game i bought for it after playing it on my friends house.

played that thing over and over again. never gets boring.

they need that game on the PS VITA in the future.. woo a fun ass game to have on a handheld baby

#15 bg88

bg88

Michael Mann fan

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:17 PM

If you enjoy racing games at all you need to get Rally Cross. That game still holds up pretty well today. It is probably in my top 2 of all time favorite racing games with Super Mario Kart.:whee:
Posted Image

#16 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:57 PM

Out of the games you listed, Parasite Eve or Dino Crisis 2.

I'd also recommend Xenogears, Grandia, and Vagrant Story.
Posted Image

#17 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

Instead of 2xtreme you should definitely check out Thrasher- skate and destroy. It was the best skateboarding game out there, waaay better than thps imho, made by rockstar and had one of the best ragdoll physics for the time.

I remember that game being on one of the demo discs for the PS. LOVED that game. But...don't think it's on the PS1 Classics.

As for that list, Parasite Eve, Harvest Moon, or Twisted Metal 2.

#18 handsome_rakshas

handsome_rakshas

Judgment of the Sea

• CAGiversary!

Posted 11 August 2011 - 05:37 AM

Parasite Eve and Ridge Racer Type 4.
Posted Image

#19 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:57 PM

I just beat the original Grandia, what a phenomenal game. Even better than the 2nd one.

If you could only play one Game Arts game, it should be Grandia.

#20 lutz

lutz

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:33 AM

Grandia is great and all, but if you could only play one Game Arts game, shouldn't it be Lunar?

#21 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:59 AM

Grandia is great and all, but if you could only play one Game Arts game, shouldn't it be Lunar?

No, Lunar's great but Grandia's their masterpiece. And you'd really need to play both Lunars.

#22 Blade

Blade

Butt Blamer

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:13 AM

I don't own any PSOne Classic games, but I've played the original versions of all of the games you've mentioned. My pick out of your list is Parasite Eve. It's a great real-time action-horror RPG with references to Resident Evil, Godzilla, and Clock Tower. You play as Aya Brea, a NYPD detective who visits the opera one night and gets sucked into a web of confusion as she watches everyone around her suddenly burst into flames. Over the course of the next few days, you're tasked with uncovering the truth and stopping the next evolution in genetics. There's an active combat system which requires careful consideration as you customize your equipment. Although there are some obscure rewards in the game, and the EXP is badly spaced between levels, the combat and story make it an overall enjoyable experience, in my opinion. The ending is also pretty great, what with its ambiguity over what really happens just before the credits roll.

Parasite Eve 2, on the other hand, is pretty shitty. The character models are chunky, and the plot isn't as great. It also has that awful turn-then-walk control scheme of Resident Evil and Onimusha, which makes the active battles where you have to run around and avoid being hit, or finding the ideal place to shoot from, a real pain in the ass.
Earn $10 instantly with Groupon!

We as a community feel that it would be best if you didn't trade on here anymore. Despite your 350 positive transactions, I'm deactivating your account on 99Gamers because you offend me. I'm unrelatable, give poor customer service, and am now taking away your invested time and money because I don't like you.

Best,
Brandon, Owner of 99Gamers.com

#23 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:15 AM

No, Lunar's great but Grandia's their masterpiece. And you'd really need to play both Lunars.

I gotta agree here. The Lunars are both magnificent and definitely should be played by any RPG fan but they're fairly basic in terms of gameplay and story.

It's kinda sad that Game Arts can't re-create that same magic though. After Grandia they... well, they haven't really done anything worthwhile (outside of Lunar ports).:-/

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png

#24 Cloyd

Cloyd

JRPG Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:21 PM

Try out Xenogears if you never played it.

I second that. Xenogears is my all-time favorite RPG. I haven't gone back to play it in awhile, but I remember it had some very difficult moments. Its almost like I'm afraid to go back and try is as I would tarnish my memories.

I'd also go with Parasite Eve 1 and 2. I bought Grandia years ago and the voice acting killed it for me. Of course this was after playing Final Fantasy 7-8, Xenogears, and Star Ocean on PS1.

Cloyd-Royal.png

Currently Playing:  :ps3: Tales of Xillia -  :vita: Sorcery Saga -  :pc: Diablo III - Reaper of Souls

Games Beaten 2014 - :ps3: Hyperdimension Neptuinia Mk2 : :ps3: Hyperdimension Neptunia V : :ps3: Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch : :ps3: Uncharted - Drake's Fortune :        

:ps3: Child of Light : :vita: Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars : :ps3: The Walking Dead - Season One / Season Two / 400 Days : :ps3: A Wolf Among Us 

#25 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:19 PM

I'd also go with Parasite Eve 1 and 2. I bought Grandia years ago and the voice acting killed it for me. Of course this was after playing Final Fantasy 7-8, Xenogears, and Star Ocean on PS1.

Grandia's voice acting killed it for you, after playing Star Ocean 2? Seriously?
Posted Image

#26 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:04 PM

I gotta agree here. The Lunars are both magnificent and definitely should be played by any RPG fan but they're fairly basic in terms of gameplay and story.

It's kinda sad that Game Arts can't re-create that same magic though. After Grandia they... well, they haven't really done anything worthwhile (outside of Lunar ports).:-/

Grandia II was a leap forward technologically and the story/setting/characters were good, but not as memorable as the first. Xtreme and III continued that progression. The guy who was in charge of Grandia and Lunar left in 2000 and died this month, so that kind of explains what happened there.

Grandia's voice acting killed it for you, after playing Star Ocean 2? Seriously?

There's barely any voice acting in Grandia, its 95% text only. The scenes with voice acting are very infrequent and really aren't that bad after the beginning of the game. As if bad voice acting wasn't a staple of the mid to late 90s anyway.

#27 JasonTerminator

JasonTerminator

Not a psychopath!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:10 PM

There's barely any voice acting in Grandia, its 95% text only. The scenes with voice acting are very infrequent and really aren't that bad after the beginning of the game. As if bad voice acting wasn't a staple of the mid to late 90s anyway.

I know, I was pointing out how ridiculous it is to say that the voice acting killed it, when he had played Star Ocean 2, a game with much, much more annoying voice acting.

Don't need to sell me on how awesome Grandia is, I love that game.
Posted Image

#28 dafoomie

dafoomie

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:12 PM

I was agreeing with you.

Its too bad that having an interesting story, characters, setting, and even artistic style and gameplay aren't priorities anymore with a few exceptions. Even Mass Effect is going for the lowest common denominator. I spend more time now playing games from the 32 bit era and earlier than today's.

#29 Cloyd

Cloyd

JRPG Fanboy

• CAGiversary!

Posted 24 August 2011 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, but I kept playing it. I just played music while the game was on. Pretty sure I did the same for most of my PS1 games, but its been awhile. I just remember a few scenes in particular that stand out in Grandia that made me recoil. I remember it being like the voice acting in Lunar.

Cloyd-Royal.png

Currently Playing:  :ps3: Tales of Xillia -  :vita: Sorcery Saga -  :pc: Diablo III - Reaper of Souls

Games Beaten 2014 - :ps3: Hyperdimension Neptuinia Mk2 : :ps3: Hyperdimension Neptunia V : :ps3: Ni No Kuni - Wrath of the White Witch : :ps3: Uncharted - Drake's Fortune :        

:ps3: Child of Light : :vita: Conception 2: Children of the Seven Stars : :ps3: The Walking Dead - Season One / Season Two / 400 Days : :ps3: A Wolf Among Us 

#30 Vinny

Vinny

Bang, bang... pew...

• CAGiversary!

Posted 25 August 2011 - 12:17 AM

Grandia II was a leap forward technologically and the story/setting/characters were good, but not as memorable as the first. Xtreme and III continued that progression. The guy who was in charge of Grandia and Lunar left in 2000 and died this month, so that kind of explains what happened there.

I agree that Grandia progressed in terms of gameplay but everything else was kinda 'meh'. I didn't know the main guy in charge left though. Sucks to hear that he's gone now...

Currently playing: 

fyreboltx.png