Driver: San Francisco $44.99 (Xbox/PS3) Free Shipping @ Toysrus.com

Very tempting as I am looking to pre-order this. Think Amazon will match? Is TRU pretty good with pre-order shipping timeliness?

Last edited by a moderator:
With tax it comes out to $48.xx, still cheaper than Amazon, but they might offer credit or even PM with release date delivery. I think I might wait it out. Good find though.

The first one on the original Playstation was great. Everyone after that have been average to bad. So i'll sit this one out until it hits my $20 price point. :)

[quote name='Rodster']The first one on the original Playstation was great. Everyone after that have been average to bad. So i'll sit this one out until it hits my $20 price point. :)[/QUOTE]

The original's creator is the lead on this game, and it's being marketed as a return to the franchise's roots (classic car chases, no wannabe-GTA on-foot gameplay). Plus it's got 120 licensed vehicles pulled from cinema's most iconic car chase scenes. If you liked the first, this will probably be way more up your alley than 2 and 3.

[quote name='mgorsi']so has anyone tried to get Amazon to price match?[/QUOTE]

Only by submitting a lower price through the product page.

thx OP. quick ?s:

1) what are chances pre-order price goes up between now and launch?
2) when is the latest i can pre-order: day before launch?
3) does TRU store match TRU.com price?

TIA.

I have a feeling NewEgg or Amazon are going to match this considering the boner popping deals that have been going around these days.

[quote name='bsmiff']The original's creator is the lead on this game, and it's being marketed as a return to the franchise's roots (classic car chases, no wannabe-GTA on-foot gameplay). Plus it's got 120 licensed vehicles pulled from cinema's most iconic car chase scenes. If you liked the first, this will probably be way more up your alley than 2 and 3.

This is music to my ears. Anyone have any idea if we'll get a CE for this?

[quote name='bsmiff']The original's creator is the lead on this game, and it's being marketed as a return to the franchise's roots (classic car chases, no wannabe-GTA on-foot gameplay). Plus it's got 120 licensed vehicles pulled from cinema's most iconic car chase scenes. If you liked the first, this will probably be way more up your alley than 2 and 3.
[/QUOTE]

This is music to my ears. Anyone have any idea if we'll get a CE for this? Doubt it after the disaster that was Driv3r

[quote name='xxjonoxx']With tax it comes out to $48.xx, still cheaper than Amazon, but they might offer credit or even PM with release date delivery. I think I might wait it out. Good find though.[/QUOTE]

Why not still preorder it and see if Amazon does PM that way if they do, can always cancel and you are still get guaranteed it at that price if they don't

[quote name='ivana89']thx OP. quick ?s:

1) what are chances pre-order price goes up between now and launch?
2) when is the latest i can pre-order: day before launch?
3) does TRU store match TRU.com price?

TIA.[/QUOTE]

1. very high because Alice, Child of Eden, and others went back up before release date.
2. Up til the day before launch you can preorder but again no sure thing in pricing.
3. Unless there is an option for in store pickup, Stores doesn't match their site price.

[quote name='Heavyd814life']This is music to my ears. Anyone have any idea if we'll get a CE for this? Doubt it after the disaster that was Driv3r[/QUOTE]

It doesn't seem that the CE is going to be released in the US, despite the story and game's location being set here. Maybe that'll change in a month's time, but so far there isn't even any pre-order DLC lined up in the states.

I've got a thread about Driver: SF going on the CAG 360 forums. If anyone's interested in the game's other features, check out the OP: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299511

[quote name='ssjmichael']this game looks pretty terrible to me. The handling looks so poor.

I expect this to get pretty cheap after it's released[/QUOTE]
I played to demo for a little while last night, I really wasnt very impressed. I will also be waiting for a cheap deal

Besides graphics, how different is the Wii version compares to the HD consoles? I ask because many games are vastly different even though with same titles like Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Transformers War for Cybertron, just to name a couple.

[quote name='ssjmichael']this game looks pretty terrible to me. The handling looks so poor.

Really? I'm not looking to crank up any debates, but am curious why you think the handling looks poor.

As far as this deal goes, I'm still on the fence with my pre-order. This game looks so good to me I'm pretty much willing to take the price hit and get it from Amazon for release date delivery.

I don't want to poop on this thread either, as this is a good deal for those that want it.
I was looking forward to this game, but the demo left me underwhelmed. The graphics are great, and it's an interesting idea for a driving game, but the control is bad bad bad, and I was expecting like NFS physics, and it plays more like Cruisin USA.

Played the demo last night and I gotta say that I wasn't impressed at all. It felt cheap and the controls were horrible like others said. Why couldn't they just make an exact remake of the original? Sigh...

[quote name='Wezzles']Driv3r for Ps2/Xbox was lawl fun when I was a kid....[/QUOTE]

I agree man. Driver 3 was awesome. I had it on Xbox, and the custom soundtrack option made it even better.

The demo left me with a meh feeling. Great find for those looking for it at release though. I would say if you dont have to have it immediately, I think this will be one of those that will be under $30 quick. With SOOOO many AAA games coming out this fall, Ill pass on this one for now.

Thanks for the heads up though OP!

[quote name='ssjmichael']
Well the last game was touted to rival gta and then.......

I loved the first one on psx tho

I just played the demo and let's just say that I'd hesitate to buy this at $4. This is by far the worst driving game this generation. Complete and utter garbage. Also, the psn demo doesn't even recognize my logitech g27 wheel.

[quote name='PublikDefender']I just played the demo and let's just say that I'd hesitate to buy this at $4. This is by far the worst driving game this generation. Complete and utter garbage. Also, the psn demo doesn't even recognize my logitech g27 wheel.[/QUOTE]

Really???? I thought the 360 demo was a lot of fun! Especially the police chases. The first Driver on the PSX is one of my all time favorites.

Hopefully it'll be this price through Aug 17th, that's when the multiplayer demo for Driver will come out. I can decide then if I still want it or not since that's the main reason why I want this game.

The controls felt fine for me, I was able to dodge cars with no problems. You do have to slow down before making a turn though, can't go 100 mph on a turn. Shifting felt really smooth, in and out of vehicles with no hiccups. The demo didn't WOW me, but I did have some fun with it.

[quote name='PublikDefender']This is by far the worst driving game this generation. Complete and utter garbage.[/QUOTE]

Import Tuner Challenge, Test Drive Unlimited 2 and Days of Thunder Arcade would all like to have a word with you.

Honestly, I had fun with the demo. I am certainly hyped about the multiplayer demo next week, which is going to be a big deal for me.

Man I love the handling in this game so far, no clue what some of you guys are upset about. Drifting down Lombard Street the first time felt totally natural.

I'm really excited to try out some more cars. Managed to find a '78 Firebird Trans Am and felt like the Bandit for all of 3 minutes! Free roam online chases are gonna be a blast.

stoked!

Loved Driver 1, 2 and 3. The demo to me was impressive, and I don't think the handling was that bad. Thanks OP, waiting on amazon though. The shift mechanic to me is pretty cool and fresh, obviously I will revert to not using it when you must, and will probably play majority of online in games without shift, but I am glad to see they tried something new...the way it was presented in the demo is soooo dumb, but hey, you can't really make a feature liek taht seem believable, so I won't that against reflections.

Played the demo and have to agree with other posters that this game will go cheap pretty quick. A Driver sequel had little chance of selling well even if it was great, and this seems decent at best.

The handling felt fine but the rubber-band AI was incredibly obvious during the racing mission, and that's one of my biggest pet peeves with driving games. I thought Driv3r was underrated so I was looking forward to this, but that demo.... blah.

Gameplay=awesome! Story/characters/voice overs are fuckin terrible! This is why I hate it when racers try to add a story line or character development.

I tried the demo last night and... the game is kind of weird. Also I'm not the best navigator and I kept running into the blue walls, which was kind of lame. Are those areas actually going to be unlocked in the real game, or are we going to keep running into the boundaries? The game felt relatively claustrophobic as compared to GTA IV's city. It was fun anyway, though. I'll keep it on the radar, but will be another waiting for it to hit $20 or some such price.

[quote name='crunchewy']I tried the demo last night and... the game is kind of weird. Also I'm not the best navigator and I kept running into the blue walls, which was kind of lame. Are those areas actually going to be unlocked in the real game, or are we going to keep running into the boundaries? The game felt relatively claustrophobic as compared to GTA IV's city. It was fun anyway, though. I'll keep it on the radar, but will be another waiting for it to hit $20 or some such price.[/QUOTE]

Blue walls? I've got red forcefield-looking barriers blocking off most of the map in my demo. That said, I'm not sure how big the demo area is compared to the full game, but I've read that this game touts the largest free roam driving area of any game thus far, and features most iconic areas of San Francisco. Get to the top of a hill and look out over the bay towards the Golden Gate--pretty sure we'll be able to drive all that.

I did notice most roadways have indestructible low cement walls along them, making this game more on rails than I'd like, but maybe beyond the demo that'll change.

I was actually surprised by this demo. I thought it was pretty damn good especially considering its a Ubisoft game. I say that because they usually make kinda shite games except Assassins Creed and even those have some of the worst screen tearing this generation.

[quote name='bsmiff']Blue walls? I've got red forcefield-looking barriers blocking off most of the map in my demo. That said, I'm not sure how big the demo area is compared to the full game, but I've read that this game touts the largest free roam driving area of any game thus far, and features most iconic areas of San Francisco. Get to the top of a hill and look out over the bay towards the Golden Gate--pretty sure we'll be able to drive all that.

I did notice most roadways have indestructible low cement walls along them, making this game more on rails than I'd like, but maybe beyond the demo that'll change.[/QUOTE]

Red. Blue. Walls. Forcefields. What's the difference? :) Yeah, that was it - red force fields. The point is that I kept running into them. I'll trust that the final game is a bigger free roam area, though.

Also, that story stuff really is horrid. At least you can skip it and jump right into the game.

why isn't there a wii demo? thinking of getting this for my (little) bro & that's his only console. does wii version also have local co-op?

do y'all think prices for wii version will drop as quickly as for PS3/360? TIA.

[quote name='ivana89']why isn't there a wii demo? thinking of getting this for my (little) bro & that's his only console. does wii version also have local co-op?

do y'all think prices for wii version will drop as quickly as for PS3/360? TIA.[/QUOTE]

Does the Wii get demos regularly?

Played the demo, didn't really care for it.

I am watching out for Driver: Renegade 3D for the 3DS though. It seems much more promising.

[quote name='crunchewy']Red. Blue. Walls. Forcefields. What's the difference? :) Yeah, that was it - red force fields. The point is that I kept running into them. I'll trust that the final game is a bigger free roam area, though.

Also, that story stuff really is horrid. At least you can skip it and jump right into the game.[/QUOTE]

Haha yep, forcefields are lame no matter the color.

Agreed about the story. I think I remember one developer in an E3 interview saying "the story's a lot like Inception." Uh we'll see about that... I think this game will earn its replay value online for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wii is not capable of having demos of retail games (unless they happen to be small enough to be WiiWare) because it doesn't have nearly enough storage to hold demos of retail games. There has never been a demo of a retail Wii game as far as I know. You're only option is to rent it, read reviews, or buy it and hope for the best.

bread's done
Back