Humble Indie Bundle #3 is no longer available

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#121 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 07:40 AM

Just to rave a bit more, I also love how relentlessly clever VVVVVV is with its gimmick, throwing rooms at you that just have you doing cool gravity flipping stuff. The room "Just Pick Yourself Down" makes me smile every time.

There are some rage moments but the ridiculously friendly checkpointing makes it work, keeps the pace working very fast and makes up for whatever flaws would be much more visible if you were actually being asked to do these levels without dying.

Yeah, I was really expecting something jerky, like having to redo an entire level or respawn several screens back like in Mega Man. Instead, like you said, the checkpoints are quite logical in their placement (even one midway through an early auto-scroll section!). I'd also add that when you die you're treated to a very, very, very brief and non-dramatic death and zapped even more quickly back to the last checkpoint. It's a minor thing but it really takes much of the sting out of dying.

#122 Magicman103

Magicman103

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 08:57 AM

Hm, I've been playing VVVVVV and noticed on the main menu that it's version 1.2. I'll send an email to the HB folks about this. I was under the impression earlier that it was supposed to be version 2.0.

The actual download from the humble bundle website is version 2.0 of the game but in steam its on 1.2 currently like you said. The dev has stated that the 2.0 update will be pushed to steam copies of the game "very soon"

http://distractionwa...e-indie-bundle/

#123 malfuncti0n

malfuncti0n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

The actual download from the humble bundle website is version 2.0 of the game but in steam its on 1.2 currently like you said. The dev has stated that the 2.0 update will be pushed to steam copies of the game "very soon"

damn, wish i knew about that. already pretty far in my steam downloaded copy though :/.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#124 DirkBelig

DirkBelig

The Belligerent One

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

Don't have any of these games and I don't think I've even played much (if any) of the previous two Bundles I've bought, but it's a great deal which supports indie devs who could really use the money and charities.

Emptied out my $6.22 PayPal balance and split it thusly:

Devs - $4.13
EFF - $0.50
Child's Play - $1.13
Humble Tip - $0.46

133994.png DirkBelig.png5fbfd2ddbe4d9137.png DirkBelig.png

#125 DaBargainHunta

DaBargainHunta

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Try contacting them here: contact@humblebundle.com

I got my PayPal receipt and also a link to my download links as well as Steam and Desura keys, but I haven't yet received my actual email confirmation. I tried using the Lost Key link at the bottom of http://www.humblebundle.com but still nothing.

I'm not too worried, though. I've purchased all the other bundles before, so I think this is just a little system hiccup.

They took care of me by sending an e-mail at 4:30 this morning. Talk about excellent, prompt customer service! Very impressive.

#126 louiedog

louiedog

20 minutes into the future

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 03:32 PM

Out of curiosity, do any of these games require a gaming-focused rig? I haven't been a serious PC gamer in centuries, but this bundle is really tempting and I don't currently have a solid gaming rig.. I realize I'm being lazy by not just looking at the recommended specs, but I figured those of you have played the games would have a better idea.

So far I've played every game in this pack except for And Yet It Moves on a machine that's a few years old and not designed for gaming at all. Retail releases from 2008 are completely unplayable on it. My girlfriend's mid-range year-old laptop plays stuff better than that computer does. The four games that I've tried run great on it. You should be fine.

#127 joshuatly

joshuatly

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

Looking for extra copies of HIB #1 & #2 as well as the frozenbyte bundle. If you have any please PM me. I have paypal

#128 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:04 PM

Thanks so much for sharing that! :)

I have to admit that I did not get around to emailing the developer or the HB folks last night about this. For what it's worth, I was totally not worried about it since my HB experiences have been stellar. Retroactive Steam registration (HB1), Desura registration, a few updates to certain games, etc. and all for free. :)

My only hope is that I don't have to replay parts of VVVVVV when the update hits... Maybe that's a good thing because my platform skills have atrophied over the years. I used to be able to beat the NA version of Demon's Crest on the SNES with my eyes closed as a young man. Now I'm cursing up storms when I play something like New Super Mario Bros. on the Wii :P

#129 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:09 PM

Out of curiosity, do any of these games require a gaming-focused rig? I haven't been a serious PC gamer in centuries, but this bundle is really tempting and I don't currently have a solid gaming rig.. I realize I'm being lazy by not just looking at the recommended specs, but I figured those of you have played the games would have a better idea.

Like the previous poster mentioned, these games should run fine on perceivably low-end systems. Cogs is the only one that uses 3D but my personal guess is that it's designed with shared video RAM in mind. I say go for it! :)

#130 fyrtoes

fyrtoes

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 04:57 PM

Looking for extra copies of HIB #1 & #2 as well as the frozenbyte bundle. If you have any please PM me. I have paypal

couldnt you buy the games individually?

#131 joeyatog

joeyatog

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:01 PM

Very excited to see a new Humble Indie Bundle, I love these things! I don't have any of the five games and they all look pretty fun! Indie developers and charities, two great causes! I'm going to donate $50 since life has been good to me lately!

#132 bugeeker

bugeeker

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

Woohoo, this is the first Humble Bundle where I didn't already own a few of the games, and several of these were on my radar to get. I scooped it up! Sent $10 their way.

Happy days!

#133 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Thanks so much for sharing that! :)

I have to admit that I did not get around to emailing the developer or the HB folks last night about this. For what it's worth, I was totally not worried about it since my HB experiences have been stellar. Retroactive Steam registration (HB1), Desura registration, a few updates to certain games, etc. and all for free. :)

My only hope is that I don't have to replay parts of VVVVVV when the update hits... Maybe that's a good thing because my platform skills have atrophied over the years. I used to be able to beat the NA version of Demon's Crest on the SNES with my eyes closed as a young man. Now I'm cursing up storms when I play something like New Super Mario Bros. on the Wii :P

I think I read somewhere that he wants to have a save importer to carry the saves from 1.2 to 2.0, but I can't remember where I read that.

#134 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:57 PM

I think I read somewhere that he wants to have a save importer to carry the saves from 1.2 to 2.0, but I can't remember where I read that.

I read that in the responses in their blog post for VVVVVV. From what I gather, the saves aren't going to transfer as is right now, so we'll have to wait for the import tool.

#135 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:47 PM

VVVVVV just updated on steam for me. It is now the 2.0 update.

#136 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the update, Jugglenaut! That was fast work! It looks like it wiped out my game saves with the 2.0 update, but since I didn't play it that long I'm okay with it.

#137 Drclaw411

Drclaw411

I miss Cartoon Orbit

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:56 PM

i thought this was humble bundle 3

http://www.cheapassg...ad.php?t=291936
WTB: Outback Joey ($900 bounty for cart only!)

#138 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:04 PM

This has already been answered in the thread. That was the 3rd bundle, but it was named the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle.

#139 Jugglenaut

Jugglenaut

Horseshoe Goldfish

• CAGiversary!

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:05 PM

While it technically was the third humble indie bundle, it wasn't called so by anyone involved. Instead it was officially called the Humble Frozenbyte Bundle because all games included were made by Frozenbyte. This is the third one which bundles various indie games from different developers, so I'm guessing that's their reasoning behind the naming scheme.

#140 malfuncti0n

malfuncti0n

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:38 AM

so they pushed the VVVVVV 2.0 update through steam, but my game save seems to be gone. anyone else have this issue?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#141 Magicman103

Magicman103

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:49 AM

so they pushed the VVVVVV 2.0 update through steam, but my game save seems to be gone. anyone else have this issue?

yeah i have the same problem. luckily, with all this talk of vvvvvv I went ahead and finished the game finally after buying it so many months ago in the winter sale apparently right before they pushed the 2.0 update today xD. They changed the save system because they reworked the whole game to be in C++. Thus, all 1.2 and prior saves are not compatible with 2.0. The dev is working on an exporter though so dont fret.

by the way, might I add that this game was amazing! Wow the 8 bit graphics and music were just spectacular! And the difficulty was great it was very challenging for me!

#142 louiedog

louiedog

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:27 PM

If you go to your bundle page it will now generate a key that will let you play Minecraft for free until August 14. You'll need to make a minecraft account to do so.

#143 NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman

CAG Backlogger

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:35 PM

That's pretty awesome! I already picked up Minecraft months ago, but what a neat bonus for bundle buyers.

#144 Shadowiii

Shadowiii

Do the Mario!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:18 AM

Man, I've been waiting to get VVVVVV on steam. This does it.
Bought myself a copy, and bought one for all of my inlaws. Hope the devs get a nice chunk and so does charity. These things are so awesome.
Cogs is also really awesome, I was surprised.
Luigi is almost as sexy as me!
Posted Image

Want something really cheap? Try Paradise Seekers, my $1 eBook on Amazon!

Also, check out my blog, where I'm trying to review every game I've ever played!

#145 cRodz

cRodz

Lead Chimp Ass

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:30 AM

Just still august 14?

WTF Notch

#146 cheaphuck

cheaphuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:01 AM

The best $1 I have spent this year.

#147 menikmati

menikmati

Isolation, self-damnation

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:05 AM

Been wanting VVVVVV for a while after seeing the Quick Look on Giant Bomb, paid $20 since I saw that I could also support the EFF and Child's Play.

#148 MIND LINK

MIND LINK

MURDER ALL RAPPERS

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:15 AM

VVVVVV is the truth. A damn-fine game.

MARS

#149 Chrono Gear

Chrono Gear

For the Horde!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:31 AM

Okay here's my issues with these bundles:

1) No matter what I pay for them I'm going to feel like I'm ripping these devs off

2) I feel even worse being given the option to choose who gets my shekels

As a result I passed on both of the previous bundles and will likely do the same again. If I donate I feel bad, if I don't I also feel bad. Kinda lose/lose when these pop up. Perhaps it's just my pessimistic view on life but I can't shake the negative feeling despite the fact that I know everyone involved is trying to do some good.

That being said this might be my favorite offering. My brother LOVES crayon physics deluxe and I would like to get this just for that for him. I'm interested in VVVVVV as well. Props to all these devs for being so generous.

#150 RollingSkull

RollingSkull

No Decisive Evidence

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:39 AM

With the amount of money they're making off this, that's a very particular definition of generosity.

And you know, the solution to your problem is only a penny away...

By the way, those who lost their saves in VVVVVV should not fret TOO much, the game is only 3 hours long or so and the new version still lets you freely unlock all the post game content. The only issue is, I think, if you cheat unlock the lab for 100% shinies collection you don't get the cute cutscene leading into it.

Also, the time trials and intermissions are great ways to replay your favorite parts of VVVVVV, so if you want to take on the Tower or the Gravitron again without replaying the game, those are unlocked for you.