Step-based 3D dungeon crawlers?

Jerakon

CAG Veteran
Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations for step-based 3D dungeon crawler style rpgs for the PS2. Games like Wizardry (I already have Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land), the early Might and Magics, Bard's Tale and so forth. Any recommendations are appreciated!

Wizardry Tales of the Forsaken Land is one PS2 game i STILL need badly, how did it turn out on the console? I am a huge huge wizardry fan but just havent found a good deal on TotFS yet.

I enjoyed Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land quite a bit. I was lucky to find it for sale at a local Gamestop (used) after giving one store a call and having them check the inventories of other local stores for it. I noticed the Amazon marketplace also had some up for sale, but they were pricier definitely.

The only Wizardry-clone on PS2 I can think of (aside from, y'know, Wizardry) is Elminage: Yami no Fujo to Kamigami no Yubiwa, but as the name suggests, it was only released in Japan. If you don't mind something a bit more similar to Ultima Underworld/Elder Scrolls, try Shadow Tower Abyss (Japan-only), King's Field IV or Eternal Ring -- all created by From Software and precursors to Demon's Souls.

That's pretty much it for first-person dungeon crawlers on the PS2 as far as I know.

What's step-based mean?

I recommend (highly!) Summoner 2. There's also Summoner 1, but I get motion sick from the camera if I'm not careful... S2 is a fantastic game. I have odd tastes, so you might not like it as much as me, but I put it right up there next to an unmodded Morrowind and an Okami - and that's saying a lot, let me tell you.

Demon Stone has DnD stats and skills, but is mostly an action game. You get to control all three characters on-the-fly. Item purchasing and skill level-ups occur at the end of each level/chapter of the game.

For other RPGs: Drakan: The Ancients Gates, King's Field. Drakan is sort of a mix between action, rpg, and adventure. I haven't played much of it, though. I only played a little bit of King's Field.

For hack-n-slash dungeon crawlers, there's Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance 1 & 2, Champions of Norrath, Champions: Return to Arms. I think the game Barbarian and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy are also hack-n-slash.

I've played BGDA1, it was okay, a tad easy, but has a very thin story. Return to Arms was pretty fun, I enjoyed the skill trees and variety of locations. Unlike CoN, environments and dungeons are not randomly generated, which slightly reduces replay value. Game enjoyment for both series might increase if you play co-op with friends.

None of the games I mentioned are turn-based at all. For Summoner 1 and 2, the game will pause when you open up the HUD menu for spells and skills - you select what you want and then target an enemy. Everything is real-time, though, no artificial "I'll stand here any let you attack me until it's my turn" sort of thing. :p

If you haven't played it already, I also recommend Okami. It has some RPG elements: side quests, and character attributes (to a somewhat limited degree). Three weapon choices, learnable weapon moves. Although you discover the world linearly, after you go somewhere, you can revisit it whenever you want. It might not really be an RPG, but it has RPG elements.

bread's done
Back