Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAMSTORIA

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
The lockout is over. Football is back.

Trades have started, contracts are being signed and the season will start on time.

Key Dates

Preseason

July 27: Camp opens for 10 clubs whose first preseason game is on Aug. 11: (ARZ, BLT, DAL, DEN, JAX, NE, OAK, PHI, SD, SEA)

July 28: Camp opens for 10 clubs whose first preseason game is on Aug. 12: (ATL, CIN, DET, KC, MIA, NO, PIT, SF, TB, WAS)

At 4:01 p.m., New York time, waivers begin for the 2011 league year

July 29 : Camp opens for 10 clubs whose first preseason game is on Aug. 13 (BUF, CAR, CHI, CLV, GB, IND, MIN, NYG, STL, TEN)

At 6 p.m. ET, clubs may sign, or extend offer sheets to, all eligible players, in addition to drafted and undrafted rookies. Clubs may have such players report to the club’s facilities for physical examinations prior to signing. Eligible players may visit or try out at any club facility.

July 31 :Camp opens for two clubs whose first preseason game is on Aug. 15 (NYJ, HST)

Aug. 11-15: First preseason weekend

Regular Season

Sept. 8: NFL Kickoff 2011 Weekend begins

Sept. 20: Deadline to designate a franchise player.

Oct. 23: International Series, London, England

Nov. 24: Thanksgiving Games

Jan. 1, 2012: Regular season concludes

Jan. 7-8, 2012: Wild Card Weekend

Jan. 14-15, 2012: Divisional playoffs

Jan. 22, 2012: AFC and NFC Championship games

Jan. 29, 2012: Pro Bowl, Aloha Stadium in Honolulu

Feb. 5, 2012: Super Bowl XLVI at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis

Offseason

Feb. 22-28 -- NFL Scouting Combine, Indianapolis, Ind.

April 26-28 -- NFL Draft, New York Cit

Rocky start to free agency for the Niners with them losing Spikes and Baas. And according to Adam Schefter, Gore plans to hold out.

[quote name='DT778']Rocky start to free agency for the Niners with them losing Spikes and Baas. And according to Adam Schefter, Gore plans to hold out.[/QUOTE]

I love Gore but he's high as shit if he thinks he's getting anything being 28, injury prone, and coming off hip surgery.

Dixon/Kendall Hunter is more than enough to replace him.

Season is in the tank by re-signing Smith, but they need to throw all their money at Nmandi.

[quote name='DT778']Rocky start to free agency for the Niners with them losing Spikes and Baas. And according to Adam Schefter, Gore plans to hold out.[/QUOTE]

As a fan who never misses a game, I'm pretty convinced they are going after Luck.

Spikes gone, Baas gone, they have no center now.

They will probably lose Franklin and Manny Lawson. They have a chance to lose Goldson.

Gore will probably hold out...... and oh yeah, There is that whole Alex Smith still being the QB.

Not a good offseason so far.

I'm waiting for the inevitable Orton trade so the Tim Tebow era can finally begin!

OK, I'm being a bit silly there, this season will be interesting.

Cutting Jake Delhomme is a great start for free agency for the Browns since they shouldn't be paying $5+ million for a third-string QB. I don't expect any big name signings since they have a number of positions to address (WR, RT, DE, Safety, DB, and more quality depth at most positions) with the ~$30 million that they have to spend.

Tennessee's turned a potentially horrid QB situation into a good one with Matt Hasselbeck to be their starter and mentor Jake Locker. Seattle has a weird QB competition with the Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson being their only options that could make or break their season.

I'd rather see Kyle Orton go to Arizona to get a chance to throw to Larry Fitzgerald than go to Miami.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki'] Seattle has a weird QB competition with the Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson being their only options that could make or break their season.
[/QUOTE]

i dont know if seattle has a trick up their sleeve or what, but they seem to have taken a huge step backwards. whitehurst, jackson, i mean...

The Chargers signed Eric Weddle for $40 million for 5 years. Things is he isn't that good, he just happens to be at the right place at the right time.

[quote name='ph33r m3']I love Gore but he's high as shit if he thinks he's getting anything being 28, injury prone, and coming off hip surgery.

Dixon/Kendall Hunter is more than enough to replace him.

Season is in the tank by re-signing Smith, but they need to throw all their money at Nmandi.[/QUOTE]Well he's got the Niners QB's being Smith and a rookie as leverage.

[quote name='DestroVega']As a fan who never misses a game, I'm pretty convinced they are going after Luck.

Spikes gone, Baas gone, they have no center now.

They will probably lose Franklin and Manny Lawson. They have a chance to lose Goldson.

Gore will probably hold out...... and oh yeah, There is that whole Alex Smith still being the QB.

Not a good offseason so far.[/QUOTE]I doubt they sign Franklin after the 5 year deal they gave McDonald.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Seattle has a weird QB competition with the Charlie Whitehurst and Tarvaris Jackson being their only options that could make or break their season.[/QUOTE]

There's also reports that they're going to sign Matt Leinart. They've already got Pete Carroll and Mike Williams, so now they just need to trade for Reggie Bush and LenDale White and it'll be 2003 all over again.

Schefter and ESPN LA are saying that Leinart is going to Houston to backup Schaub. Leinart reportedly said that he and Seattle were too far apart in money to make anything happen.

If Belichick can get Haynesworth back to form that'll be a steal of a trade. Even if he plays mediocre, they only traded a 5th.

I'm sure Tony Kornheiser and Mike Shanahan are glad to have gotten rid of Haynesworth for good.

It would be nice to see Cleveland get Nate Clements and Donte Whitner to fill in holes on the secondary left by Eric Wright and Abram Elam's potential departures.

If any Browns fans here haven't seen it yet, they have a new official radio show that's hosted by Vic Carucci on the local ESPN station weekdays at 6 PM or you can get the podcast version here. It's more of an interview show where he has access to a lot of the players and higher-ups, as he's had Mike Holmgren, Tom Heckert, Bernie Kosar and Doug Dieken, and Joe Haden on the show in the first two episodes. He happened to start the day that the lockout ended, so that's been the big topic so far this week.

Reggie Bush to the Phins. HA! I have been saying it for years...Bush is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

2nd overall player drafted and he production was that of a 5 round slot WR. In his entire career he has never even been close to anything but a below to average WR and a horrid RB.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Reggie Bush to the Phins. HA! I have been saying it for years...Bush is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf.

2nd overall player drafted and he production was that of a 5 round slot WR. In his entire career he has never even been close to anything but a below to average WR and a horrid RB.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry but do you actually watch football, or just pay attention to fantasy stats?

It's true that Bush was being touted coming out of college as a much different player than he actually has become in this league, but some experts were saying that at draft time.

But he's a much better player than the one you are portraying, he is a matchup NIGHTMARE in this league when used properly, as he fully showed in New Orleans. When you spread him out and let him catch the ball within 3 yards, he usually is being covered by guys who can't cover him, and let's not forget his return threat.

He was also important to the Saints Super Bowl title, they'd keep him if they could.

Are you fucking kidding be destro? Yeah, because all good RB run for 2 thousand yards total in 6 YEARS. (300 yards a year? WOW!!!) Only play 1 full season in their entire career. Have never scored over 6 td in a year. Has only 6 total returning touchdowns

The guy has seriously done NOTHING...NOTHING in the NFL that a 5th round speedy slot WR couldnt do. I love the fact that you call him a match up nightmare...yeah I am sure everyones up at night thinking about a RB who has NEVER come close to hitting a 1k yards...a WR who has NEVER come close to catching 1k yards and barely ever returns for TDs will most likely wont even be playing because he hasnt played a full season since his rookie year.

Yeah he had the one play that helped the saints win the superbowl...I will give him that...congrats your DAVID TYREE, he is a guy who might make a play every once every 8 games who you were paying 11 million. The Saints wouldnt dream of keeping him.

I'm sorry do you actually watch football, or just pay attention to hype?

Thus is true DT778. I wasnt making an absolute statement with that...just a comparison of how god awful Bush is for were he was drafted.

Ochocinco is now with the Patriots.

With the rookie salary scale in place will there ever be a bigger bust then Russell?

Pfft Ochocinco is still an above average WR. That is a good deal depending on the deal. If only they can get Moss back then their offense would be deadly again.

Chad number of the last couple of years are down but maybe thats because the Bengals are god awful and find ways to screw everything up.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Pfft Ochocinco is still an above average WR. That is a good deal depending on the deal. If only they can get Moss back then their offense would be deadly again.

Chad number of the last couple of years are down but maybe thats because the Bengals are god awful and find ways to screw everything up.[/QUOTE]

I can't see the Pats going after Moss given how many receivers are already on the team. As in Welker, Branch, Ocho, Tate, Price, Edelman, Slater. Now it could happen but if it does then someone is going to get cut. I personally predict Price myself would get cut in favor of Moss if it were to happen.

Looking at the running back stats since Reggie Bush was drafted tells me why he hasn't gotten 1,000 yards, which is because they haven't focused Since 2007, he's the only Saints running back with more than 150 rushes in a single season and the only back to top that since he was drafted was Deuce McCallister in his rookie season with 244 rushes. Either it's injuries that decimated their running backs every year or their system wasn't built around giving a feature back a majority of the carries, but for having a trio of backs that split those carries when they're used in certain situations.

He's not a bust anywhere close to Ryan Leaf, who was 4-21 as a starter with a 50 QB rating and 2.5 times more interceptions than touchdowns. He's just a disappointment for where he was drafted since he's just a decent running back that can be useful in the right situations. He'll be in the league for a while.

Miami seems like a better situation for him with the wildcat/Daboll offense that should make better use of his skills for the money they're paying him.

Arizona gets Kevin Kolb for a 2nd round draft pick and DB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, which seems like a steep price to pay for a QB. I hope Patrick Peterson has a big rookie season to make up for the trade.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Looking at the running back stats since Reggie Bush was drafted tells me why he hasn't gotten 1,000 yards, which is because they haven't focused Since 2007, he's the only Saints running back with more than 150 rushes in a single season and the only back to top that since he was drafted was Deuce McCallister in his rookie season with 244 rushes. Either it's injuries that decimated their running backs every year or their system wasn't built around giving a feature back a majority of the carries, but for having a trio of backs that split those carries when they're used in certain situations.

He's not a bust anywhere close to Ryan Leaf, who was 4-21 as a starter with a 50 QB rating and 2.5 times more interceptions than touchdowns. He's just a disappointment for where he was drafted since he's just a decent running back that can be useful in the right situations. He'll be in the league for a while.

Miami seems like a better situation for him with the wildcat/Daboll offense that should make better use of his skills for the money they're paying him.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, he isn't a "running back" he is a versatile offense weapon you can get creative with. Think Eric Metcalf but with way more talent and skill.

He's not even on a top 100 list of "busts" because he isn't a bust, he just isn't what some thought, but he's exactly what numerous others did.

Seems like with Houston going for Johnson and the Tampa rumor being reported as false, that Nnamdi is going to be a Jet... un-fucking-real.

Ok, so Crabtree out 6 weeks with a foot injury. I'm already fully convinced Harbaugh is all in to get Luck, the moves they have made are pretty telling. Oh well. Going to the bar every Sunday to watch the 9ers is going to be pretty brutal this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the topic of busts the San Diego Chargers released WR Craig "Buster" Davis. Coming out of LSU I thought he was going to be at least a decent reciver.

[quote name='DestroVega']Ok, so Crabtree out 6 weeks with a foot injury. I'm already fully convinced Harbaugh is all in to get Luck, the moves they have made are pretty telling. Oh well. Going to the bar every Sunday to watch the 9ers is going to be pretty brutal this year.[/QUOTE]I don't think they have stated how much time he needs. He can be activated at any time during camp but if he stays on the PUP list at the start of the season he has to sit out six weeks. But yeah, things aren't looking good for the niners right now.

edit: just saw that it's listed as 4-6 so I can see them taking him off the list before the season starts but it will suck with him missing all that practice.

I am glad that there are no playoff games on my Birthday this year (January 20th). I watched the Packers get spanked by the Rams and watched them lose in overtime vs the Giants.

Dolphins signed Matt Moore.

Looks like Orton is staying put so far. Maybe their asking price was too high?

I think I'd rather pay the price for Orton than to sign Matt Moore.

Broncos sign McGahee. I'm liking this signing.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Arizona gets Kevin Kolb for a 2nd round draft pick and DB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, which seems like a steep price to pay for a QB. I hope Patrick Peterson has a big rookie season to make up for the trade.[/QUOTE]

You know, my first reaction was that it was a good deal for a hot quarterback. Then I read an article that actually broke down Kolb's statistics for his few starting games and I really hadn't taken the time to look at the hard numbers of his stats. For some reason I remember him lighting it up more than he did but really it could go either way at this point. Sure, he could be the next Brady but he could bust just as easily.

While I was initially pulling for Minnesota to pick Kolb up, maybe its better they didn't. Sure McNabb ain't that great and he doesn't have much time left, if Christian Ponder really has it then they only need a QB for a couple seasons until he's ready anyway. I think I speak for most Vikings fans when I say, if Christian Ponder performs better than Tavaris Jackson did, we'll be happy.

As the for the Seahawks... what. the. fuck. were they thinking... Sure they picked up a hot receiver with Sidney Rice (and I'm damn sad to see him go) but it wasn't Tavaris as QB that was putting up those passes...

The Browns lost Eric Wright to the Lions, which may or may not be a huge deal depending on if he plays more like his pre-2010 self or continues where he left off in 2010. I hope this pushes them to go after Nate Clements now that San Francisco has cut him. They picked up Brandon Jackson for RB depth and Usama Young for safety depth, which seems like solid, but not flashy, moves.

There's no reason for Denver to trade Orton unless they get a great offer for him, as the short preparation time means his experience will be more beneficial to the offense.

[quote name='jello44']Dolphins signed Matt Moore.

Looks like Orton is staying put so far. Maybe their asking price was too high?

I think I'd rather pay the price for Orton than to sign Matt Moore.

Broncos sign McGahee. I'm liking this signing.[/QUOTE]

asking price wasn't too high, Dolphins thought his contract was.

[quote name='starmask2k3']I don't know why Dallas didn't make any moves[/QUOTE]

They did, unfortunately they were mostly cuts because they were $14 million over the cap. Marion Barber and Roy Williams being perhaps the most surprising cuts but they also cut Leonard Davis, Marc Colombo, and Kris Brown.

Damn. The Eagles have picked up Rodgers-Cromartie, Asomugha, Babin, and a 2nd round pick. That's a hell of an off-season so far.

It took the Bears long enough to get Cutler a WR in Roy Williams. They also signed nine others that are a bit less interesting, though NFC Championship Game hero Caleb Hanie is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back