CAGcast #248: The Chart Doesn't Care

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 28 July 2011 - 03:09 AM

It truly is a Summer of Arcade with discussions on From Dust, Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, and Bastion. Oh, and don't forget about Infamous 2 because we would never do that. Get your questions or topics answered via CAGbag or Twitter.

Download - 76 minutes, 46MB
iTunes: Subscribe - Review
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$7.49 domain = CAGDOMAIN
Monthly Special: $13.99 .co domains = CAG1399

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):
Intro: Boss Rush - Rez

Follow us on Twitter
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Outro - Pitfall commercial

Posted Image

Edited by CheapyD, 28 July 2011 - 05:14 AM.

#2 qduong55

qduong55

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:17 AM

woohoo!

#3 Chrisness

Chrisness

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:21 AM

CAGcast and Gamespy Debriefings are the only "video game" podcasts I listen too anymore since they don't only talk about video games :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I play Halo 3, Rainbow Six, SSBB, Carcassonne, Worms, others online. PM me to play SSBB, send friend request to play Xbox Live.

#4 Kyrox

Kyrox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:26 AM

Wombat is slightly larger. Is this because of UGO?

#5 RageATM

RageATM

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:41 AM

I love listening to the show each week, cant wait to play this one.

#6 x caponed x

x caponed x

Posted 28 July 2011 - 06:49 AM

I think one of Catherine's strengths is in the fact that it mixes up the options for good and bad. One of the reasons I can never get into the bioware-type games is because I feel obligated to pick the top option no matter what because it's the good one. In this type of gameplay I think its great and allows you to interact honestly since you don't know whats good and whats bad, and I'd like to see it that way in more games.

#7 Jackhole

Jackhole

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:18 AM

I'm not sure if this will make Cheapy or Shipwreck feel bad but whatever- if Wombat wasn't on the show I wouldn't listen anymore. I love you Wombat.

#8 Nero514

Nero514

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:19 AM

A few minutes in and already someones ragging on wombat can't wait to see what happens next.

#9 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 28 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

Cheapy: "So, what would you do, Wombat, if you were in this situation?"
Wombat: "I...would sit there and cry..."

:lol:

And, Cheapy, you helped sell me on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I had concerns about the controls. Sounds fun. Glad the music's great, too. Like other arcade games, I don't know when I'll play them, but, I'll definitely pick it up.

#10 TheToiletDuck

TheToiletDuck

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

You must already know this but most of the time when you say you can't hear wombat we can hear him just fine.

Wombat you're awesome, keep up the good work. :)

#11 Hazelgrim

Hazelgrim

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:28 AM

Wombat ftw. that dude who made that comment is a douchebag.

great podcast btw. keep ut the good work.

Twitter: FuurinRei

#12 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:49 AM

Nice chart Cheapy, I'm surprised Shipwreck didn't make one in excel. :-) Awesome show though, shame you just missed the news of the 3DS price drop. Also, not sure why Wombat's speed has gone down so much but it is a fact that the more users that use cable modems in your area, your bandwidth will go down. So I wonder if that is your issue. I've had podcasts communications errors but since each recording is done locally we of coarse do not hear any issues.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#13 CheapyD

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass

• Administrators

Posted 28 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

And, Cheapy, you helped sell me on Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet. I had concerns about the controls. Sounds fun. Glad the music's great, too. Like other arcade games, I don't know when I'll play them, but, I'll definitely pick it up.

Did I say the music was great? It's pretty minimalistic, but the sound fx are pretty good.

#14 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 28 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Can't wait to listen!

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#15 Kung Fu ZEPHYR

Kung Fu ZEPHYR

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Here's my MacGyver like solution to your door problem - Take the pins out of the hinges, then take the door completely off the frame. The pins are not easy to remove, but it can be done with makeshift tools. Position a small key (or screwdriver or metal pen or whatever thin/sturdy metal object you can find) at the base of the pin (located on the bottom side of the hinge) and use a hardcover book (as if it were a hammer/mallet) to hit the under side of the pin so as to pop it up/out of the hinge. Repeat for all pins, then slowly move the door off its hinge.

The only way this solution doesn't work is if the hinges are located on the other side of the door (which they won't be because all standard interior doors rotate away from the hallway and towards the bedroom).

There there Wombat, no need to cry . . .

#16 Curufinwe

Curufinwe

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:24 PM

The Wii is still the best selling console this generation, both in North America and worldwide. The PS3 and 360 are fighting for second place, not first place.

Curufinwe5503.png? Curufinwe.jpg

#17 dacool561

dacool561

Take a Look at This

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:42 PM

SWTOR Collector's edition is 3rd so far for this month? That's pretty impressive for it only being up for pre-orders last thursday. I know I did my part to increase that count by 1 =)

#18 Kyrox

Kyrox

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:45 PM

Wombat the same thing happened to me two times with my cable provider. My internet would be fine and during peak hours it would go extremely slow or disconnect. We tried calling to see if this could be resolved but it was always a pain. The first time the problem was resolved when a tornado took out all the telephone poles around my house. Last summer when this happened again it turns out the cable outside had water damage.

Good luck having them come to your house. It took a tornado and paying for a higher speed internet to get Charter to fix it.

#19 davidb69

davidb69

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 02:51 PM

I think one of Catherine's strengths is in the fact that it mixes up the options for good and bad. One of the reasons I can never get into the bioware-type games is because I feel obligated to pick the top option no matter what because it's the good one. In this type of gameplay I think its great and allows you to interact honestly since you don't know whats good and whats bad, and I'd like to see it that way in more games.

That's not true about bioware type games, matter of fact, it's never simple to figure out what is good and evil sometimes.

A game like Infamous is a straight good or evil type game that leans toward's Catherine's good/evil selections.
Posted ImagePosted Image
Wii - 2303 0628 4559 9276

#20 Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone

Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

I absolutely LOVE CAG Thug-life.

Here's to a great year of gaming in 2014   :beer:

#21 Viper139

Viper139

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

Slow internet connections are really ruining the internets, hopfully soon my area will get fibre optic which allowes up to 50MBs. My current connection below.

For advertising you should employ the mega64 to make you a video to promote the website. They have done stuff for ubisoft and other game companys in the past.

Posted Image

Edited by Viper139, 28 July 2011 - 06:07 PM.

Posted Image Check out my blogs :D

#22 crobledo4116

crobledo4116

Posted 28 July 2011 - 05:21 PM

I been listening to the Cagcast since day one and I honestly enjoy Cheapy and Wombat. Now, with the addition of Shipwreck, it makes the show more enjoyable. I think that if any one of the three would leave the podcast, the show will not be the same. Of course, this is my opinion and many would agree.

Keep up the good work and Wombat, you are a great!

#23 Greenseer

Greenseer

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 07:44 PM

Sucks about Wombats connection but great show like always and Im surprised SHipwreck liked Catherine

EduardoNS.png EduardoNS.png

#24 4thHorseman

4thHorseman

The New God

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

That's not true about bioware type games, matter of fact, it's never simple to figure out what is good and evil sometimes.

A game like Infamous is a straight good or evil type game that leans toward's Catherine's good/evil selections.

I haven't played most Bioware games, just Mass Effect. But based on that I would disagree. On their convo wheel, the bottom option is always bad, top is always good, middle is always neutral. Then the two on the left side has blue for good, red for bad.

My main problem with those decisions is that the choice you make never quite plays out the way the dialogue wheel makes it look like.

#25 sthenic

sthenic

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:01 PM

I can't believe how you completely did not represent dads. You should just change the name of the show to the momcast. Week after week you talk about moms, but I'll have you know that the there were more dads sold worldwide than there were moms this year.

#26 Hoarr

Hoarr

CAG Veteran

• CAGiversary!

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

"You know what -- the chart doesn't care about your face cancer."

Line of the show.

I have no signature. :(

#27 meager

meager

mooseknuckle?

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

I wasn't surprised about the price drop for the 3DS. Nintendo did the same thing five months after launching the DSi. Of course they had also already announded the DSi XL. They haven't annoucned the upgraded version of the 3DS... yet. Oh, and it was only a $20 drop, not slashing the price by a third.

It was odd that Wombat's not enthusiastic about the Captain America movie. Everyone I've talked to says it's great, and I really expected him to be enchanted by it. Kinda unsettling.
Speaking of unsettling, since Not Another Teen Movie, I have difficulty picturing Chris Evans in a serious role. A wiseacre Human Torch is fine, but how do you buy a guy playing the ultimate symbol of heroic do-gooder-dom after you've seen him walking around with a banana sticking out of his ass?

#28 The Great Muta

The Great Muta

Posted 29 July 2011 - 12:46 AM

Did I say the music was great? It's pretty minimalistic, but the sound fx are pretty good.

It could have been "good." I can't recall; it was late. But, I do remember your thoughts about the music were positive. Good sound effects is a good thing.

And I read your thoughts on the final boss on Twitter. I'll have to remember that when I get to that part.

#29 lostdecoy

lostdecoy

CAGiversary!

• CAGiversary!

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:26 AM

Wombat, I was dying when you said which movie theatre screwed up during your rant. The last time I was stuck going to the Levittown theatre was during Clerks II midnight sneak preview. Worse experience EVER having an entire theatre filled with Kevin Smith fans in the July heat WITHOUT DAMN AIR CONDITIONING WORKING. The workers had nothing to say despite the conditions while watching the movie.

My boyfriend was given 2 free passes there and we just can't bring ourselves to go to that hellhole for a free movie. I'll be sticking with Westbury.
Posted Image

#30 x caponed x

x caponed x

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:58 AM

What I said was a little unclear, so I'll put it a different way.

What I enjoy about Catherine is that in order to max out your good meter, you have to be bad to someone. When I said bioware-type games, I just meant games with morality meters. Usually, you're a hero, and you do heroic things to be good and evil things to be bad. In Catherine, if you want to max out your good meter, you have to be bad to Catherine. This is hard to do for me, and ends up leading to me making more realistic choices for both Catherine and Katherine text messages.

In addition, you also have the questions at the end of a section of climbing where it isn't entirely clear whether a choice is good or bad, whereas in other games, usually the top dialogue option is the one to go with.